Our CB Problem

elotk

This is how i see our CB problem for next year:

We have Barrett who im a big fan of, but the guy is at most a good #2 guy and certainly not a #1 type guy.

Straight, if were lucky, could be a #2 guy for us but thats most likely wishful thinking. If he is our #2 guy, then he probably wont be too good at it.

Mickens as we all know is not qualified to be a #2 guy either, just a good nickel guy.

Miller is a rookie, and while i do think he will be good either next year or the year after, i dont think he's anywhere near ready to be our #2 CB this year.

So what we have now, is a #2 CB and 3 nickel guys.

What options are open to us? Other than Ty Law, i dont really see anything else. Even though i hate the idea of bringing in Ty Law(Old+$$$$), i dont think we have anything else to look at. Maybe a good CB gets cut in june? Not too likely though.

were in a pickle :?

eLOT

the way the depth chart is setup now between Miller, Strait and Mickens someone will be taking those snaps at #2 - and servicably - remember the JETS CBs benefit from the pressure that they get up front. A great pass rush can cover up DB shortcomings, and these three players might not all be perfect solutions but they all can play.

it's not 100% confirmed that Donnie Abes will retire. Law is an option as the JETS are clearly interested and not many other teams are. one final thought McGraw plays Dime CB alot, he could be a conversion candidate.

Long story short Im not that concerned.

the way the depth chart is setup now between Miller, Strait and Mickens someone will be taking those snaps at #2 - and servicably - remember the JETS CBs benefit from the pressure that they get up front. A great pass rush can cover up DB shortcomings, and these three players might not all be perfect solutions but they all can play.

it's not 100% confirmed that Donnie Abes will retire. Law is an option as the JETS are clearly interested and not many other teams are. one final thought McGraw plays Dime CB alot, he could be a conversion candidate.

Long story short Im not that concerned.

Word. If John Abe comes back and applies heat, and Ellis and DRob continue to improve, we will be putting tons o'pressure on QB's next year. In that case, I'd love to see Derrick Strait win the starting gig next year. He won't beat alot of receivers in a track-meet, but in a twenty-yard box, Strait is the truth.

I am not worried at all about our corner situation. Like others before me in this thread have stated, our dline covers up the secondary because it applys so much pressure

1 hand feeds the other

And with Justin Miller, Derrick Strait, David Barrett and Ray Mickens we have a good corner corps

BTW, I have a hunch we sign Ty Law. 8)

We don't need Ty law unless he's willing to come in under a one year contract or a two-three year incentive laden contract.

Barrett/Miller/Strait/Mickens are more than adequate. The Iron Jaw himself called Barrett the best cornerback the Steelers played all of last season, and the Steelers went up against Chris McAllister twice.

We don't need Ty law unless he's willing to come in under a one year contract or a two-three year incentive laden contract.

Barrett/Miller/Strait/Mickens are more than adequate.

I agree. I didn't necessarily say that I wanted him in my post, but I just have a feeling that Bradway will try and sign him, just a hunch.

I look at it 2 ways

1. If Ty Law is healthy, and plays for us, he'd give us his all and more, ESPECIALLLY against mumbles and the patriots

or

2. He slows the progress of Justin Miller and Derrick Strait.......but at the same time he also teaches them all they need to know to be successful corners in the NFL.

With a combo of Strait / Miller and Mickens, that can be just as good if not better then just Donnie Abraham alone. Fresher and younger (Strait and Miller) and I just believe they are both better corners, or will be better corners, then DAbe.

I have to disagree with your analyst of Straight.

Not only will he be a good #2, IMO he will be an excellent # 1

For a rookie, when he was healthy, the kid played great last season. He was thrown at a lot in the playoffs, and handled it very well.

His only flub was on the Gates big gainer when he fell down. He wasn't the only one who fell down on that play. It seemed like all the DB's fell down.

In NCAA Straight was the MOST consistent of all the DB's

If Straight can play, and I think he can, it's a whole different formula.

Word. If John Abe comes back and applies heat, and Ellis and DRob continue to improve, we will be putting tons o'pressure on QB's next year. In that case, I'd love to see Derrick Strait win the starting gig next year. He won't beat alot of receivers in a track-meet, but in a twenty-yard box, Strait is the truth.

B-I-N-G-O spells BINGO!

Archived