Marvin Jones

LockeJET

Im at a company BBQ yesterday and guess who shows up?? Marvin Jones..I took a bunch of pics and when i figure out how to post them i will..

My bosses wife has a niece that is married to Marvin...He bought a house on 3 acres in Ft. Meyers..He just had a lil boy...His wife is Columbian and she is pretty hot...

He told me the only guy he still talks to is Sam Cowart...He aslo told me he hates Herman Edwards...He said the word hate...He wanted to play another year for the Jets and he felt betrayed by Herm....He looked like he was in damn good shape and he said he could still play...

Many say he was one of the best college linebackers ever...No doubt he underachieved in the NFL..He never reached his true potential as being the #4 overall pick..He always played a little over weight and that hurt him...He was a big party animal also and thats a huge reason as to why he never fully reached his potential...

He wasnt drinking at the party and i asked him why and he said he stopped drinking a year ago cause it was becoming a problem..

I don't think weight hurt Marvin's speed in the NFL as much as the hip injury he suffered as a rookie. There was a noticable difference in his speed after that injury. No doubt he was a great, great college linebacker though.

He told me that last year he had a deal in place with Minny but he backed out last second cause it was for the league min. and he just decided to retire...He said if the Jets or Jacksonville made him an offer he would have played...

I don't think weight hurt Marvin's speed in the NFL as much as the hip injury he suffered as a rookie. There was a noticable difference in his speed after that injury. No doubt he was a great, great college linebacker though.

Your correct, the hip injury killed him but keeping extra weight on was a double whammy...He could have been a little more moble if could have played 10-15 pounds lighter..

Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis had become two lazy veteran players.

When Jones was asked to play special teams, He balked and was offended. Had this sense of entitlement that his spot was secure in The NFL.

Jets made the right move getting rid of those two when they did.

Your correct, the hip injury killed him but keeping extra weight on was a double whammy...He could have been a little more moble if could have played 10-15 pounds lighter..

True, I wonder how good he would have been if he recieved proper coaching from his rookie year on. He was a much better linebacker after 1997. Before that he sort of just filled space.

Glad to hear he is doing well. Marvin was top 5 among linebackers that I ever saw play in college.

I don't follow college ball and I had heard about

Jones college career! Many at the time thought he

might have been another LT clone! But I can't see

him being Mad at Hermie! I think if anything Hermie

let Jones and Slo Mo play too long!! He never was

the force in the Pro's that he was in college and

no Doubt the Hip injury was at fault!! :cry:

I don't follow college ball and I had heard about

Jones college career! Many at the time thought he

might have been another LT clone! But I can't see

him being Mad at Hermie! I think if anything Hermie

let Jones and Slo Mo play too long!! He never was

the force in the Pro's that he was in college and

no Doubt the Hip injury was at fault!! :cry:

It was such a freak injury too. There was not even contact involved. His speed before the injury was on par with any other linebacker in the league. Imo he was a better prospect than college teamate Derrick Brooks.

Marvin was a good player but he was always looking a little too big and too slow to me, especially his final 3-4 seasons here. It was way past the time we should've let him go that he left so when we finally did, it was a breath of fresh air. Who would you rather have Jet fans? Barton or Jones...Hobson or Jones?

Marvin was a good player but he was always looking a little too big and too slow to me, especially his final 3-4 seasons here. It was way past the time we should've let him go that he left so when we finally did, it was a breath of fresh air. Who would you rather have Jet fans? Barton or Jones...Hobson or Jones?

2 words for Marvin:

Has been. :mrgreen:

One thing Marvin said really hurt him was that in his prime our D line sucked...Once our D line got built like it is now he was already passed his prime..Imagine what MO and Marvin would have done with 2 monster on the Dline...Instead we had Burton, Lyle and a few other so so players

I've been one of Edwards harshest critics here and "elsewhere". Jones has got some nerve being mad at Edwards. Edwards stuck with him long after most coaches would have gone with a younger guy. For him to act offended that the Minny would only pay him minumum is pretty laughable-he wasn't worth even that at the end. And he had the balls to turn down playing specials like he was an All Pro.

And when you play a 3-4(as the Jets did under Parcells and Groh), it's kind of obvious that the DL eats up blockers rather than makes plays, so the LBs can make plays. Jones was always a step too slow to do anything, and it only got worse with injury and age.

I've been one of Edwards harshest critics here and "elsewhere". Jones has got some nerve being mad at Edwards. Edwards stuck with him long after most coaches would have gone with a younger guy. For him to act offended that the Minny would only pay him minumum is pretty laughable-he wasn't worth even that at the end. And he had the balls to turn down playing specials like he was an All Pro.

And when you play a 3-4(as the Jets did under Parcells and Groh), it's kind of obvious that the DL eats up blockers rather than makes plays, so the LBs can make plays. Jones was always a step too slow to do anything, and it only got worse with injury and age.

I agree totally.

If Marvin Jones is so great. Where was Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick last year to give him a job. Same for Mo Lewis. Those guys were D-O-N-E. Done.

I hated Marvin Jones's attitude. He became a big fat lazy player. Makes it hard for a die hard Jets fan like me to remember all the good play from Marvin.

Jones stopped working hard at the end. He didn't have that same fire and hunger that he had coming out of FSU.

Edwards was too nice with those two guys. Salary cap was one of the reasons we had to keep them but because Edwards was a former player himself. He treated them with way too much respect.

One thing Marvin said really hurt him was that in his prime our D line sucked...Once our D line got built like it is now he was already passed his prime..Imagine what MO and Marvin would have done with 2 monster on the Dline...Instead we had Burton, Lyle and a few other so so players

He sounds like a All Pro excuse maker.

He was washed up .

Archived