What does Curtis have to do for the HOF?

gustoonarmy

I hope this guy eats his words , just by being a dominant runner and being 4th overall in the NFL isn't good enough so it seems.

Is it his fault that he didn't win a SB.....no.

He racked up all these yards in teams that were average at best , but hes still not worthy of the HOF.......:bwahaharoll:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-futurehall020207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Curtis Martin, RB, New York Jets:. One of the top four rushers ever, but he never won a Super Bowl and wasn't the "dominant" back of his time. He'll likely get in with 17,430 yards from scrimmage and 100 total touchdowns, but it's going to be a tougher go than people think.

Still looking classsy Curtis!

fullj.getty-73177535cc032_2007_nfl_play_1_36_39_am.jpg

Nothing.

If being the #4 all time leading rusher along with arguably the most consistent rusher in NFL history isn't enough then I don't know what it is. All CM has to do is retire and wait 5 years so that I can be there that August to celebrate him getting in with fellow Jets faithful.

I wonder what his motivation is for dragging out the retirement. Perhaps he'll reap a few more bonuses on the contract? I wouldn't have a problem with that, just curious as to why. He's admitted that his career is very likely over.

I hope this guy eats his words , just by being a dominant runner and being 4th overall in the NFL isn't good enough so it seems.

Is it his fault that he didn't win a SB.....no.

He racked up all these yards in teams that were average at best , but hes still not worthy of the HOF.......:bwahaharoll:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-futurehall020207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Still looking classsy Curtis!

fullj.getty-73177535cc032_2007_nfl_play_1_36_39_am.jpg

1st Ballot. Who's introducing him? Now that's a question.

1st Ballot. Who's introducing him? Now that's a question.

He should/will get in on the first or second try due to his career yards stat...but the writer has a point.

Martin's career YPC is very pedestrian (bearly over 4), he never won a ring, and he came up very small in some very big games. Truth is (and I know this is blastphemy among many Jets fans), I dont rank Martin even in the top 12-15 of all time. Smith, Sanders, Payton, Campbell, Dickerson, Dorsett, Sayers, OJ, Brown, Riggins, Matson, all rank higher and soon so will Tomlinson, james and Alexander. And there were several backs who did not have his longevity but were MUCH more dominant the martin ever was like Bo jackson, Chuck Foreman, and Terrell Davis for example.

What Martin was (to his credit) was very durable and his durbality (and a ridculously loyal coach) allowed him to amass a tremndous number of carries and thus put up some impressive career yard numbers. But he was not nearly as dominant as those mentioned above as his overall stats (not just yards) prove. He ranks somehwre in the Harris, Allen, Thomas, LeRoy Kelly group.

he is a HOFer...but he is not a top 10 all time back. Not by a long shot.

This sounds like something John Clayton said on ESPN a while ago: the voters will think twice because they don't think they would have to "include Curtis Martin in a book about the history of football," since that, according to Clayton, is the criteria they use when voting. I don't know how these morons get to vote...

This sounds like something John Clayton said on ESPN a while ago: the voters will think twice because they don't think they would have to "include Curtis Martin in a book about the history of football," since that, according to Clayton, is the criteria they use when voting. I don't know how these morons get to vote...

Hes a HOFer based on his career yards stats and his durabilty...but Clayton is right. Martins career was more about (dare I say) compiling then it was abut greatness.

I know I will get slammed for this but I got slammed for criticizing Hermy too and look how that turned out!!!!

Hes a HOFer based on his career yards stats and his durabilty...but Clayton is right. Martins career was more about (dare I say) compiling then it was abut greatness.

I know I will get slammed for this but I got slammed for criticizing Hermy too and look how that turned out!!!!

Yeah well Curtis aint Herm and it will never turn out like that. SOOOOO.. SLAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

seen a couple people trying to equate art monk with cmart. this is not a valid comparison because it is much more difficult to be a consistent runner than receiver in this league. one has nothing to do with the other and just because monk has been jilted, it doesn't necessarily follow that cmart will also.

I agree there. What Matin accompished was much more dificuklt then Monk even just from a durability standpoint. 325+ carries a year is a lot tougher to maintain then 85 catches.

But both have impressive career stats while neither was a really dominant player.

Curtis was a good workhorse and very durable. He stacked up some huge rushing #'s during his career but lacked the ability to be "the guy"... he could have really used a Leon Washington to spell him...

I think he gets in first shot, but its no lock.

Lets look at some pro's and con's

Pro's

14101 Career Yards about 1282 yards per season AVG

Only 1 lost fumble in his whole career

Stayed healthy for most of his career

Played 11 season

Con's

4.0 YPC

About 8 rushing TD's per year

4 seasons with YPC's in the 3's

Only had 4 10+ rushing TD seasons, with a low of 2 in 03'

LT has already passed him in TD's and is close to passing him in 1st downs, in half the time....

Never won a superbowl, or any really "big" game...

Curtis didnt have the LT type ability to find a way to get it in the endzone, he also doesnt have the speed to be a breakaway runner... he just managed to fight through and pile up some huge #'s.

OK enough, I love the guy so I hate bringing up the Con's LOL... now I am going to go put on my #28 becuase I feel bad... :)

He should/will get in on the first or second try due to his career yards stat...but the writer has a point.

Martin's career YPC is very pedestrian (bearly over 4), he never won a ring, and he came up very small in some very big games. Truth is (and I know this is blastphemy among many Jets fans), I dont rank Martin even in the top 12-15 of all time. Smith, Sanders, Payton, Campbell, Dickerson, Dorsett, Sayers, OJ, Brown, Riggins, Matson, all rank higher and soon so will Tomlinson, james and Alexander. And there were several backs who did not have his longevity but were MUCH more dominant the martin ever was like Bo jackson, Chuck Foreman, and Terrell Davis for example.

What Martin was (to his credit) was very durable and his durbality (and a ridculously loyal coach) allowed him to amass a tremndous number of carries and thus put up some impressive career yard numbers. But he was not nearly as dominant as those mentioned above as his overall stats (not just yards) prove. He ranks somehwre in the Harris, Allen, Thomas, LeRoy Kelly group.

he is a HOFer...but he is not a top 10 all time back. Not by a long shot.

That was as Unbiased as you could get, well said. I do think a runner needs to be in the top 5 in the league for most of his career to get in the HOF. He wasn't even the best back on the team (debatably) in 04, when he won the rushing title.

That said, he will make the HOF based on durability, and doing all the little things, catching, holding onto the ball, blocking...

Curtis was a good workhorse and very durable. He stacked up some huge rushing #'s during his career but lacked the ability to be "the guy"... he could have really used a Leon Washington to spell him...

I think he gets in first shot, but its no lock.

Lets look at some pro's and con's

Pro's

14101 Career Yards about 1282 yards per season AVG

Only 1 lost fumble in his whole career

Stayed healthy for most of his career

Played 11 season

Con's

4.0 YPC

About 8 rushing TD's per year

4 seasons with YPC's in the 3's

Only had 4 10+ rushing TD seasons, with a low of 2 in 03'

LT has already passed him in TD's and is close to passing him in 1st downs, in half the time....

Never won a superbowl, or any really "big" game...

Curtis didnt have the LT type ability to find a way to get it in the endzone, he also doesnt have the speed to be a breakaway runner... he just managed to fight through and pile up some huge #'s.

OK enough, I love the guy so I hate bringing up the Con's LOL... now I am going to go put on my #28 becuase I feel bad... :)

Actually he had 29 fumbles and lost 16 of them, still pretty good...

Hahahahaha. This is all in good fun of course. But I will be picking you up on my way to Ohio come time for My favorite Martin to be inducted.

Listen, there is no question in my mind that he gets in...I just dont think he is an alltime great back. In fact, excpet for the injury factor, martin couldnt hold McNeils jock when it comes to raw talent...Emerson Boozer, John Riggins and Matt Snell too. And had Johnny Hector been given 300 carries a year, he would have been a 1200 yard rusher every year at least too!

But martin WILL go to the Hall based on his career yards stat...and that alone.

Listen, there is no question in my mind that he gets in...I just dont think he is an alltime great back. In fact, excpet for the injury factor, martin couldnt hold McNeils jock when it comes to raw talent...Emerson Boozer, John Riggins and Matt Snell too. And had Johnny Hector been given 300 carries a year, he would have been a 1200 yard rusher every year at least too!

But martin WILL go to the Hall based on his career yards stat...and that alone.

Raw talent does not get you into the HOF. Patience, perseverence and toughness does.

I hate comparing backs from different eras because of everything it entails , but come on.

Would Jim Brown be good enoug today?

Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Jim Brown would be good enough in the year 2525.

Exactly my point , its impossible to say that JB would be good enough in any era. Lets go even further back , Red Grange , Bronco Nagurski were great backs , would they cut it now?

Listen, there is no question in my mind that he gets in...I just dont think he is an alltime great back.

He is an all-time great back.

In fact, excpet for the injury factor, martin couldnt hold McNeils jock when it comes to raw talent

I might agree with this. Scouts thought so, too. McNeil went 3rd overall in the 1981 draft. Martin went 74th overall in 1995.

That said, talent doesn't mean everything. Martin had a stronger will and body than McNeil and was ultimately the better player.

Emerson Boozer, John Riggins and Matt Snell too. And had Johnny Hector been given 300 carries a year, he would have been a 1200 yard rusher every year at least too!

If Boozer didn't suffer a big injury early in his career, he may have had a Hall of Fame career.

Hard to compare Riggins to Martin because Riggins had his best years playing in a one-back set. He was a big, bruising back, which Martin was not.

Martin was better than Snell.

I liked Hector. He was one of my all-time favorites. That said, if he got 300+ carries a year he may have lost his effectiveness. Just look at the Colts and Super Bowl 41. Dominic Rhodes is actually a more effective player when he comes off the bench and shares duties with other backs. That's the way it is sometimes. Some guys are simply better as backups.

Archived