New Private Debate - Chad vs. Kellen in '07

Maxman

Love the disclaimer.

Brady ripped that defense to shreds in the AFCC in Pittsburgh with the temp around 10 degrees.

Let's not go overboard with the manlove for Brady, mate. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New England Patriots 41, Pittsburgh Steelers 27

Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger entered the game 14-0 as a starter. New England QB Tom Brady had never lost a playoff game. In the end, Brady's streak continued while Roethlisberger tasted defeat for the first time as an NFL starter.

The Patriots jumped out to an early 24-3 lead, quieting a raucous crowd at Heinz Field. The New England defense intercepted Roethlisberger three times, returning one for a touchdown, and held off a second-half Steeler rally to advance to the Super Bowl for the third time in four years. Brady completed 14-of-21 passes for 207 yards and two touchdowns. RB Corey Dillon paced the running game with 73 yards and a TD.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jets had 2 TD's on a punt return and an INT return..Pennington mustered 3 points :lol: the Jets should have blown the Steelers out in that game..but..Hermy was terrified.

The Penny lovers have selective memories.

Has Chad Pennington ever "won" more than 10 games in a season?

The last time the Jets won more than 10 games in a season was when Vinnny was the QB.

The Jets have won 11 games or more in season three times. The Pats have done it 9 times.

It seems to me that a lot of the guys on this mesage board are guys that have not been following the team for a long time. Otherwise I believe they would be a litte more appreciative of what Pennington has been able to do since he became the starter for the Jets. Ive suffered through years of watching journeyman, high profile FA's gone bust, and overhyped draft picks that struggled to reach mediocrity. Im not saying Im not excited for what I hope Clemens becomes, but knowing what Ive seen the last 30+years at the qb position, Im also not quite ready to rush in a 2nd year qb during a time the franchise appears to be on te right track in terms of rebuilding, while we have a competent starter that has a very good record relative to his previous counterparts

It seems to me that a lot of the guys on this mesage board are guys that have not been following the team for a long time. Otherwise I believe they would be a litte more appreciative of what Pennington has been able to do since he became the starter for the Jets. Ive suffered through years of watching journeyman, high profile FA's gone bust, and overhyped draft picks that struggled to reach mediocrity. Im not saying Im not excited for what I hope Clemens becomes, but knowing what Ive seen the last 30+years at the qb position, Im also not quite ready to rush in a 2nd year qb during a time the franchise appears to be on te right track in terms of rebuilding, while we have a competent starter that has a very good record relative to his previous counterparts

Thats good stuff. But do you really believe that Chad is going to take you to the promised land?

I think your posts in this thread are a lot closer to reality than the arguments made by gainzo, etc. And at least you are consistent!

Actually, the one game I saw Clemens play was against USC and he did not impress. But then again, USC is nationally ranked, and is one of the only teams in the Pac that actually plays defense.

But looking at his highlight film, I thought he could make a bunch of different throws, and he looked quick on his feet.

I guess we'll know in a few months whether he is ready and able to compete at the highest level

Correct. Training camp and pre-season will determine the QB if it indeed is a open competition. I don't think it is.

Too many posters are more concerned with being "I told you so guys" when it comes to our QB rather than letting the situation play out under Mangini's plan.

Last off season we heard lots about Ramsey and Clemens from these posters. By all accounts Pennington wiped the floor with both of them in a open competition. I expect more of the same this year and then the new tune being sung here will be we need to draft a QB.

Based on what we saw in Mangini last season we can be assured the correct QB will start. If it's Clemens so be it as that will mean we are relatively set at the position because he will have beaten out a top 15 QB.

Thats good stuff. But do you really believe that Chad is going to take you to the promised land?

He's not going to carry the team on his back, but I think he is good enough to win big games provided he has enough talent on both sides of the ball to keep the games close. I understand the frustration that Jet fans have with Pennington. He cant throw ropes on out patterns, and on fly patterns(or any other deep route), by the time speedy recievers like Coles, and(previously) Moss get a step or two on the corners the ball is inevitably underthrown. At the same time I like the fact that he has the intelligence and freedom to make adjustments, and audible at the LOS. His throws on intermediate crossing and hook patterns have been pretty accurate. I think he's a strong leader, and has the trust of the team. The key to the Jets winning the SB is not any one position. Its about balance on both sides of the ball, and good coaching in my opinion

He's not going to carry the team on his back, but I think he is good enough to win big games provided he has enough talent on both sides of the ball to keep the games close. I understand the frustration that Jet fans have with Pennington. He cant throw ropes on out patterns, and on fly patterns(or any other deep route), by the time speedy recievers like Coles, and(previously) Moss get a step or two on the corners the ball is inevitably underthrown. At the same time I like the fact that he has the intelligence and freedom to make adjustments, and audible at the LOS. His throws on intermediate crossing and hook patterns have been pretty accurate. I think he's a strong leader, and has the trust of the team. The key to the Jets winning the SB is not any one position. Its about balance on both sides of the ball, and good coaching in my opinion

Again, good stuff 4hire. The one thing I'd like to add to this is that we all know CP must improve on his int/TD ratio; I think that's a given, and I do expect he will be much better in that dept. next season.

I think your posts in this thread are a lot closer to reality than the arguments made by gainzo, etc. And at least you are consistent!

I meant "jetfan4hire",who jaetcane was commenting on.

that's a very,very nice post,allow me to cheapen it by listing:

Richard Todd

Pat Ryan

Ken O'Brien

Tony Eason

Browning Nagle

"Post-Prime" Esiason

Neil O donnell

Frank Reich

Bubby Brister

Glenn Foley

"Post Prime" Vinny

Rick Mirer

Ray Lucas

A couple guys were successful elsewhere a decade earlier,a couple sentimental favorites,but....please,look at that list long and hard,study it,speak the names on tape and sleep with headphones on....

then look at a picture of Chad Pennington and come back here and describe the experience.

Richard Todd

Pat Ryan

Ken O'Brien

Tony Eason

Browning Nagle

"Post-Prime" Esiason

Neil O donnell

Frank Reich

Bubby Brister

Glenn Foley

"Post Prime" Vinny

Rick Mirer

Ray Lucas

A couple guys were successful elsewhere a decade earlier,a couple sentimental favorites,but....please,look at that list long and hard,study it,speak the names on tape and sleep with headphones on....

then look at a picture of Chad Pennington and come back here and describe the experience.

HA! **** QB's all the more reason to support Chad Pennington.

Im in, not to mention people already fired half the ammo against Chad right here...

Im training for the fight... :Banane43:

and Barton will accept Chad as our QB in 07' and beyond when Im done with him

:box::fighting0093::Nuts:

Bank on it

Alright guys I will start the thread tomorrow and we will let it run for a few days while you guys have at it.

Good luck!!! Just as a reminder: when I start that thread only ecurb and barton will be able to post in it.

Richard Todd

Pat Ryan

Ken O'Brien

Tony Eason

Browning Nagle

"Post-Prime" Esiason

Neil O donnell

Frank Reich

Bubby Brister

Glenn Foley

"Post Prime" Vinny

Rick Mirer

Ray Lucas

Nicely done. I believe the only one anyone could argue is Vinny(who i actually disagree with you, i'd say that while he was older, he was in his prime while in new york). The only thing about Vinny, he clearly had better talent around him than Chad has had, and until this year, IMMENSELY better coaching. Like you and Jetfan4hire(and many others on the site) I want to see what Chad can do with a good team, and the current coaching staff. The thought of it gives me hope of something more than a first round exit, or a 2nd round let down.

One pass to many lol. Watch him in preseason i'm going to go to one just to boo him cause he sucks. Going to laugh when he's third on the septh chart again. Rather watch Herm Edwards manage the clock then Kellen lead a NFL offense.

You have no basis for any of those statements other then you don't like the way he looks. Give it up.

I just want some fresh blood in for the start of next year.Someone no one knows anything about...sound familiar? Chad had his best season when nobody new what he would do,and now he is just too predictable and it makes us more predictable on offense to the other teams defense.Get Clemens in there,take some deep passes on day one,then let him scramble for first downs,then watch the teams start getting confused and start going down.we need a change of guard.Heck if we lose a bunch then Chad will be ready as always to lead the jets.

Alright guys I will start the thread tomorrow and we will let it run for a few days while you guys have at it.

Good luck!!! Just as a reminder: when I start that thread only ecurb and barton will be able to post in it.

It is 1:26AM so you might as well get it started... :-)

Team Clemens vs Ecurb

Sorry to talk smack like this before a serious debate... :roll:

Its

100's of thousands of JETS fans who love Chad VS a select few who think Clemens is the man

Tell me how many #10 jerseys you see around vs #6... then get back to me...

BTW- good job on the Elementry school type act of starting your little "team clemens" =D> Im proud of you! :)

Alright who wants to be part of this debate? We will pick one person on each side. Post here if you want in and we will pick the best matchup. :P

The topic is a simple one. The Jets starting Quarterback in 2007 should be __________ (Chad or Kellen).

Make your selection and then prepare to argue why. Please don't post your reasons here. Let's just decide on the two people for the debate first.

Oh and the winner gets 1500 in vcash!

How bout it Max? :-)

Richard Todd

Pat Ryan

Ken O'Brien

Tony Eason

Browning Nagle

"Post-Prime" Esiason

Neil O donnell

Frank Reich

Bubby Brister

Glenn Foley

"Post Prime" Vinny

Rick Mirer

Ray Lucas

Back off my boy Lucas! He did very well when he came in for the injuries, then herm came around and said he wasn't "his guy" and never gave him a chance, instead brought back Vinny for the ineviteable demise!! Ray Lucas would have given us better chances to win, he never got a fair shake!

Ray Lucas, the REAL #6!!!

:box:

Back off my boy Lucas! He did very well when he came in for the injuries, then herm came around and said he wasn't "his guy" and never gave him a chance, instead brought back Vinny for the ineviteable demise!! Ray Lucas would have given us better chances to win, he never got a fair shake!

Ray Lucas, the REAL #6!!!

:box:

Hey OX,you know what??

I couldn't agree more.

I was SCREAMING and YELLING that he should've been our starter the next year.He was an AWESOME replacement!!!!He NEVER through a pick(i think 1 or 2 )

munchies.jpg

I hope Barton brings his A game, or this could get as lopsided as the other debate.

Well Tx said he believed everything he said about the Jets. So it should have been easy for him. But BZ wiped the floor with him. Actually we had to ban Tx after that beating. It was for his own safety actually.

:Nuts:

I could argue for either side. It's my ability as an English/PSC double major. lol

I think the QB who wins the real QB competition should be the starter! BUT all candidates have got to play on a level playing field! One guy can't just play with the starters and the other guy only plays with the second or third team!

Just a thought on these debates, and I think they are a great idea-The number of posts by any debater should be limited to a set amount.

Quality should be recognized more than quantity.

It should also be done in a point-counterpoint style with direct retorts for the previous post above it. It adds to the debate and keeps it centered to the debaters and their ideas.

Just my simple thoughts.

Just a thought on these debates, and I think they are a great idea-The number of posts by any debater should be limited to a set amount.

Quality should be recognized more than quantity.

It should also be done in a point-counterpoint style with direct retorts for the previous post above it. It adds to the debate and keeps it centered to the debaters and their ideas.

Just my simple thoughts.

Well that was the intention originally. Not to have a set # of posts (posts are good for the site \:D/ ). But to have a give and take -- back and forth to it.

But I forgot that Barton is like 16 and still in school. It will heat up tonight after he finishes his paper route I am sure.

:comb:

Archived