Former Red Sox closer Foulke retires

faba

ndians bullpen has one less option with Foulke out

ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Indians' attempts to build a better bullpen for 2007 were dealt a blow Friday when one of the key components of that effort, former Boston Red Sox closer Keith Foulke, retired before throwing a single pitch for his new team.

The news was first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Indians, whose underwhelming 2006 season was directly impacted by their bullpen's poor performance, had signed Foulke as a free agent in the hopes he would compete for the closer's role. Team GM Mark Shapiro wanted to create as many bullpen options as possible for manager Eric Wedge going into the 2007 season. But club sources told Olney that Foulke had felt pain in his elbow in recent days, and after going through injury-plagued seasons in 2005 and 2006, he decided to end his 10-year career.

"While we are disappointed that Keith will not be pitching for the Indians this year, I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and the way he went about this decision," Shapiro said.

Foulke always will be remembered for being the pitcher on the mound when the Red Sox ended their 86-year championship drought in the 2004 World Series. Foulke would have earned $5 million in base salary with the Indians this year, and as much as $2 million in incentives.

Now that Foulke is walking away, veteran reliever Joe Borowski is the clear favorite to open the season as the Cleveland closer. Interestingly, Borowski actually had a deal to sign with Philadelphia in the offseason but failed his physical with the Phillies, and settled for a one-year deal with the Indians.

Foulke went 3-1 with a 4.35 ERA but no saves in 44 games in 2006, and he missed two months with elbow tendinitis.

A stretch of 11 straight scoreless appearances in September gave the Indians hope he could fix their problems at closer. Foulke, who had 190 career saves, passed a physical with the club in January.

After saving 32 games during the 2004 regular season, Foulke went 1-0 with three saves and a 0.64 ERA in 11 postseason appearances. In Boston's sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series, Foulke closed all four wins.

Foulke also pitched for the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox and Oakland Athletics. He was an All-Star in 2003 when he led the AL with 43 saves for the A's.

I always thought a choke was blowing a 15 game lead in late august.

It was a 15 game lead in July. Not much better, but not nearly as bad as being up 3, with a lead in the 9th and the G.O.A.T. on the mound to close the game.

Choking is something Cubs fans know very well right Thor.

I tend to defer to the Cubs and Red Sox fans when it comes to defining the word choking. Afterall they are the ones who wrote the book on it.

So if Thor, PFSIKH, or JBF tell you the Yankees choked then I defer to them. They have all the experience when it comes to choking.

I tend to defer to the Cubs and Red Sox fans when it comes to defining the word choking. Afterall they are the ones who wrote the book on it.

So if Thor, PFSIKH, or JBF tell you the Yankees choked then I defer to them. They have all the experience when it comes to choking.

:good_one:

:curse:

Yup. But you're allowed one or two of those when you've won more then 25% of the championships in your sport.

How many of those titles have you actually witnessed? The last time the Yankees won a World Series you were 7 or 8 years old.

Nothing better than an 18-19 year old Yankees fan laying down the smack.

POTW NOM.

Baseball is back!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

How many of those titles have you actually witnessed? The last time the Yankees won a World Series you were 7 or 8 years old.

Nothing better than an 18-19 year old Yankees fan laying down the smack.

I would put money down that 99.9999999% of Sox fans have only seen 1 title.:roll:

I think what he might be implying is that you are a bandwagon jumper.

You didn't hear this from though. ;)

I know what he's implying. I've been a yankee fan since i'm 5 years old and a jet fan since before then so if i jumped on the bandwaggon of the powerhouse 1989 yankees then i guess i am...

I know what he's implying. I've been a yankee fan since i'm 5 years old and a jet fan since before then so if i jumped on the bandwaggon of the powerhouse 1989 yankees then i guess i am...

That was not my point at all, but is seems like someone does have some issues with it though.

That was not my point at all, but is seems like someone does have some issues with it though.
I have no issue with it. By your retarded logic every Yankee fan under 30 must be a bandwaggoner which is clearly absurd. Why don't you tell me what the fact that what i was born in 1983 explains?

I have no issue with it. By your retarded logic every Yankee fan under 30 must be a bandwaggoner which is clearly absurd.

no...every Yankee fan under 30 isn't a bandwagon jumper, they just have no recollection of the Yankees sucking badly in the '80's. it's not their fault they weren't born or don't remember how bad they were, BUT most of them tend to dismiss it as if it never happened.

no...every Yankee fan under 30 isn't a bandwagon jumper, they just have no recollection of the Yankees sucking badly in the '80's. it's not their fault they weren't born or don't remember how bad they were, BUT most of them tend to dismiss it as if it never happened.
The first 5 years i was into the yankees they stunk.

Hate to tell you but the Yankees didn't really go into the tank until 89.

They didn't really suck. It was a time when Stienbrenner was running around like a lunatic. okay maybe they did suck a little bit. :P

89-92. That is when they really reallly sucked.

The first 5 years i was into the yankees they stunk.

then congrats on sticking with them and recognizing that they sucked. Again, MOST yankee fans under 30 have no clue they had a team before '95. They couldn't tell you who was the SS before Jeter, who was the closer before Wettland or who was the manager before Buck without looking it up. And I'm sure it happens with every team, but there are so many Yankee fans that are under 30 now, it is much more noticeable than any other team.

They may have written the book.

The Yanks turned it into an art form.

Yes is does. Especially when you go down in flames in front of the entire world.

GOAT? COAT!

Boston has been going down in flames for the majority of the past 100 years. One bad year doesn't change the fact that the yankees have dominated baseball over that same time period.

Archived