Do you want the Vilma and #25 for Portis and #6?

Clemens&theJets

Do you want the vilma for portis trade to happen?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you want the vilma for portis trade to happen?

• Yes, its a no brainer
    • No, its a horrible trade

I think Barton nailed it....we can't make this trade until we know who we would attain with the #6 pick. If there is someone that T and Mangini feel would greatly improve our team than you might have to pull the trigger.

Also we have to remember that replacing Vilma will not be easy, he is the QB of our defense and is responsible for changing plays/making adjustments pre snap...that is NOT an easy thing to do and it was Vilma's ability to do this that got him so much praise from Mangini. I really think Vilma is off limits and I'm not exactly mad about that, the guy busts his ass, has great character, has been given a lot of responsibility early and never faltered and is a tremenedous athlete/leader. That is someone you build a team around, not trade away for a RB w/ injury problems and a player we cannot even be guranteed. Lets give Vilma some credit for what he has done in his 3 years here, and also respect his work ethic and smarts and recognize he will almost def. be better next year than he was last year....and he was not bad at all, just not the superstar he once was.

Good post. I would be stunned if tangini dealt Vilma this off-season, for the reasons you mentioned.

A 6'6 NT would need to be like 360-370 lbs. And it's tough for anyone to carry around that kind of weight, I don't care who you are. Also, what 3-4 NT have you seen that is 6'6" tall? Too difficult to gain leverage down low.

Even that giant, Ted Washington, is 6'5, and he's been carrying around 375 lbs on that frame.

Branch is ~330 lbs at 6'6. Slim some college softness off him in camp & he's a rock-solid 6'6/320. With his talent, he'd be a terror of a 3-4 DE at that size. OR you can plump his fat ass up to 350+, make him even slower, kill his stamina (which will already be challenged with the move from college to pro), and then we can all cry about the letdown DT we took with a top pick again.

Vilma5114's right. He's a DE in the 3-4. You're just looking at his weight, which would be fine for a 3-4 NT if he was 6'2" give or take.

A 6'6 NT would need to be like 360-370 lbs. And it's tough for anyone to carry around that kind of weight, I don't care who you are. Also, what 3-4 NT have you seen that is 6'6" tall? Too difficult to gain leverage down low.

Even that giant, Ted Washington, is 6'5, and he's been carrying around 375 lbs on that frame.

Branch is ~330 lbs at 6'6. Slim some college softness off him in camp & he's a rock-solid 6'6/320. With his talent, he'd be a terror of a 3-4 DE at that size. OR you can plump his fat ass up to 350+, make him even slower, kill his stamina (which will already be challenged with the move from college to pro), and then we can all cry about the letdown DT we took with a top pick again.

Vilma5114's right. He's a DE in the 3-4. You're just looking at his weight, which would be fine for a 3-4 NT if he was 6'2" give or take.

That goes against every scouting report i've seen on him and why people view him as a top 5 pick. If he's a DE he's not a top 5 pick. He's not a good enough pass rusher.

That goes against every scouting report i've seen on him and why people view him as a top 5 pick. If he's a DE he's not a top 5 pick. He's not a good enough pass rusher.

You mean like that sackmaster Richard Seymour, who's reached the 6-sack plateau once in his multi-pro-bowl career (and that was with 8)?

I now expect a laundry-list of nose tackles suitable for the 3-4 that were taken with as high of a pick.

3-4 DE's are run-stoppers first and if they get to the QB it's from coverage sacks. They're not pass-rushers. The OLB's (or blitzing ILB's/DB's) are the pass-rushers. I know you know this, so I'm confused.

You mean like that sackmaster Richard Seymour, who's reached the 6-sack plateau once in his multi-pro-bowl career (and that was with 8)?

I now expect a laundry-list of nose tackles suitable for the 3-4 that were taken with as high of a pick.

3-4 DE's are run-stoppers first and if they get to the QB it's from coverage sacks. They're not pass-rushers. The OLB's (or blitzing ILB's/DB's) are the pass-rushers. I know you know this, so I'm confused.

Seymour was a much better pass rusher then branch was in college and one of the reasons he was drafted high was that aspect of his game. You can get 3-4 DE's who can stop the run later in the draft. If a guy is a top 5 overall pick he better be able to do both or play NT.

Branch would be a great 3-4 DE. He could play NT, but he's a better fit at DE because he's so tall.

I heard him on espn, says he's slimming down to 320. He faced double teams and still destroyed them, he's a special player. He'd be a great fit at 3-4 end because he'd command double teams, unlike Kimo who gets blocked by 1 arm.

He's a 4-3 DT too, very versatile, very much like Seymour.

I've never seen this Justin Harrell guy play, but there seems to be alot of good things being said about him.

Combines - this week. Here's where players make their money.

Washington is stupid. Really stupid. However, if they do this, they will be Corky Thatcher stupid.

A top ten running back + moving up 19 spots in the draft in exchange for....a guy that is too small to be effective in our defensive system. I can't believe some of you voted against this. You're mental.

Archived