The Gun Of Bavaria

What are u listening to right now?

A great New York band that doesn't get enough credit.  I had a friend who had an original vinyl pressing of this.  Couldn't believe how good the songwriting was.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:54 AM, munchmemory said:

Saw them on this tour.  Man, these guys could rock.

Had tickets to see them in 96 but the crazy chick I was with split town along with the tickets.  I never got to see them and now Neil is dead.  And I hate the world. 

But at least I saw these guys...  and not a lot my friends did.

• Like 1

Mentioning the Scorpions in the main room got me to thinking about my all my friends' older brothers growing up.  Used to see The Zoo posters and the Scorps' 70's stuff like The Toyko Tapes on the turntable.  Loved this song they did on 'Blackout' even if the lyrics are kinda daft.  One of the great roost rock tracks of the 80's.

• Upvote 1

To those Universal Records Dipsh*ts that allowed Slayer master recordings to be destroyed in that fire.  I hope to become your...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

One of the great feel good songs.  Get a half rack of beer and play this album along with Commander Cody's 'Lost In The Ozone.'  Start to a perfect Saturday night...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

In the top shelf of rock vocals there is Paul Rodgers, Paul Rodgers and everybody who was influenced by Paul Rodgers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Just an awesome tune.  What a voice.

Since hearing them way back when, I have been such a huge fan of Rodgers and Free.  I'd take Rodgers' raspy vocals over early-days Rod Stewart any day of the week.  And every one else in the group could play.  Like Uriah Heep's Gary Thain, I always though Andy Fraser should have received more accolades for his inventive bass playing.

Yeah.  It's amazing how many rock fans worship at the altar of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.  When if you know about what a blues based rock combo can do and how hard it is to create a sound that's bigger than the some of it;s parts... Free was like the ultimate definition of that.  If Paul Kossoff hadn't been a junkie they literally would have ruled the world.  As it is, there are albums like Free Live!, The Free Story and Songs of Yesterday that totally blow away 99 per cent of any similar music out of the water.  There are just like different levels of why Rogers is probably the greatest frontman who ever lived and he only scratched the surface of what he was capable of.  He ended up doing sh*t like The Firm to pay the bills.  Ugh.

• Post of the Week 1

One of my favorite New York-centric tracks, "Night Owl Blues."  The Lovin' Spoonful's residence at the Night Owl Cafe is considered one of rock's great live showcases.  I used to have it on a Rhino compilation of great 60's guitar tracks.  Man I still wish I had that album.  Anyways... the track showcases Zal Yanovsky's manic guitar playing.  He used steel finger picks to get a unique style where he tried to initiate Floyd Kramer's piano rolls on Nashville produced tracks.  Anyway, it's a total nuclear meltdown and it's amazing.  A great band and a great time in NY music history.

• Upvote 2

On 3/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, The Crimson King said:

Dweezil is playing his Dad's Hot Rats on tour so we are going to see him this week. This is the jam from that album. That's Sugarcane Harris on the EV, not Ponty. Ian Underwood does the tenor solo. Great piece to jam along to. 

Ian Underwood used to live near a video store I worked at.  One time he came in and after seeing his name... I flipped.  He came back a day later and signed Hot Rats and talked about a bit about Zappa.  Primary 200 Motels because I had just bought the album.  He seemed "freaked out" (har har) by the Zappa tattoo I showed him. But his two twin girls were with him so I can't say as I blame him!   I've met Ike Willis a couple of time too.  Nice but had some drug problems a while back and took him a while to get back on his feet.  But still a great singer and musician in general.

• Like 2

My 'Dark Side Of The Moon.'  Well.  More like 'Dark Side Of The Spoon.'  (with apologies to Ministry.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I just need this today.  Wish I had my old 100 watt Sunn amp to run this thru.  That would clear my neighborhood of any COVID-19.

I think Josh Hkmme usee to use Sunn Amps (a classic Model T) when he was in Kyuss or then with QOTSA.  A ton of stoner rock bands used to.  You needed that sustained chunky distortion when your bass is that loud.  Fu Manchu "In Search Of" album comes to mind.  Although I am sure they still use Marahalls.

• Like 2

New Wave wasn't really my bag.  Bu this is one of my favorite songs from the 80's. 

• Upvote 1

Everybody seems to think of Rush as the unhippest band in rock history.  ****. NRBQ make Rush look like Led Zeppelin.  Just too eclectic for their own damn good.  And just as good as any other band BTW.  

Some people want to go back in time to save Kennedy prevent WWII.  I want to go back in time to March 24, 1974 and watch Rory Gallagher strike sparks in the Cowtown Ballroom in Kansas City, Missouri.  Got a friend who grew up near there so I am pretty sure I could convince him we knew each other in the future so I could get a bed.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:

My favorite all time artist.  He's amazing live... easily one of the greatest dozen or so artists of the last 50 years.  Try to catch his recent Facebook living room concerts... they are really good.  Even I'd the sound quality is a little sh*tty.

• Like 1

I occasionally get sentimental for music from my hometown.  Even if most of the good stuff is lounge jazz, punk or singer songwriter stuff.

• Upvote 1

Say one thing about that Nothern boy, Robert Palmer.  He didn't have to fake the funk!

• Upvote 1

Was having a talk with friend about Pub Rock the other day.  I swear.  When the Brits do it right, THEY DO IT RIGHT!

• Upvote 1

Been thinking about Canned Heat recently.  Such a criminally underrated band.   Who could never overcome the loss of their two frontmen.  But man, they still kept trying.  Which is all you can ask of them..

• Like 1

I imagine I'm in a car in the Nevada Desert with the top down and I am destroying my speakers.  But when the bass frequencies are being manipulated by Kyuss... who the hell cares?

• Upvote 1

Been listening to the new Iggy Pop "Berlin/David Bowie Era" Box Set.  Always loved the way Iggy sang China Girl.  Like he was burning with fever or trying to destroy a relationship with somebody he knew he wasn't worthy of.  It's an amazing performance.

• Like 1

25 years gone.  I remember you Rory.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Great post.  Yeah, I dig Rory, too.   Posted some of his brilliant work in here over the years.  Saw him live a few times in the 70s. 

If you have not already viewed it, figure you might enjoy this video.

Having the whole concert on Blu Ray.  Yep.  One of his greatest moments.

• Like 1

The Faces first album debuted 50 years ago today.  I rate them over the Stones just for musicianship and sheer talent.  So underrated.  A great combination of blues, folky guitars and a hell of a lot of fun!

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company