The Gun Of Bavaria

What are u listening to right now?

The Greats on the keys: Corea, Emerson, Wakeman, Rudess, Horowitz, Hammer and Jane Jarvis

If you are old enough, close your eyes and tell me you don't smell hot dogs and stale beer 

I miss summer (sigh)

Been watching The Deuce on HBO, show is OK, but the closing theme really bakes my noodle (or what is left of it). I play it over two or three times every show (we DVR everything)

Apparently this was also from The Wire (a show we still need to check out)? Band could be a bit better though. Needs more punch and better solos. I can only imagine how much Tower of Power would kill this with the Doc

and here's Gilchrist's solo piano version

Of course that makes one think of keyboard players

I've heard folks claim that this one has the best Rhodes solo and the bass solo that changed everything all in one piece

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you're not familiar with these songs, I highly recommend you check them out:

GREAT stuff, some Carlo's best and the very best from this recording. Only really cool people know this material and that from Borboletta :)

Brought a tear to my eye

• Upvote 2

Ground breaking at the time

First this (elementary school to Jr. high for me) when not only did every band do the song, cementing whatever the drummer did this as great, but also every boy learned to rap this out on their school desks with their hands. Still can do it to this day.

Later on, it was the drum solo from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which kids wowed over when it came out and then laughed at Ringo doing the a bit of the same thing on Abbey Road. Later maybe the phased thing in Knife Edge but real drummer skill was needed to imitate anything in the early 70's.  

Best part about the clip is the matching suits, amps and instruments. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, munchmemory said:

.. it was kind of boring man, I didn't get it, the drummer is no Max Weinberg and none of these guys are real musicians like Eric Clapton 

Seriously though, I enjoyed the heck out of that. Three of my favorites and all Miles alumni (but never at the same time?). I told you there were some cool people on this forum with extremely great taste in music, just bad taste in football.

I miss this stuff a lot. We all thought that fusing jazz and rock was the real future in the early 70's (start with jazz like this and add electric instruments), if nothing else, it is a blast to play and you didn't have to sing. It even went well over in the bars and if it wasn't a southern-rock or pop place, audiences went nuts. It didn't last long though and disco (spit on the floor) came along, effectively starting the slow decline of humanity into extinction.

How about some love for Mr. Cobham? Talented and versatile, he should be way more famous than he is. If you go back far enough, it was a big deal when he beat out Buddy Rich for the #1 spot in the Down Beat polls. We first noticed him in a band called Dreams (pre Miles electric), a really early fusion band with Abercrombie and both Brecker Bros (and later Will Lee, another pretty fair bassist), but his work in Mahavishnu on that clear set of Fibes drums blew everyone's minds. To this day, pros still play Stratus from his first solo album, including Beck, McLaughlin and Clarke. 

The sad part is that a lot of the same people who were winning the Down Beat polls back then are still doing it. There should have been some evolution from that time and now if it isn't a dead art form, it is dying (sigh). 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was about to unleash loaded for bear.  lol  

The Springsteen people are among the worst with that. "Clemons is the greatest sax player who ever lived" etc.

Funny thing is that the E Street Band had a great player on their early albums, David Sancious. Played mostly keys for them (ever notice the organ solo on Kitty's Back and the piano intro on NYC Serenade is a cut or two above the normal musicianship of that band?). In fact, the name of the band came from where his mother lived (E St. obviously) where they practiced. Sancious also plays a mean guitar (try to read that without thinking that he also ate at the steak bar) in the studio with a number of people incl. Clarke, Gabriel and Michael Walden. He does some great solo piano albums and had a great band called "Tone". But ask just about any Springstein "I've seen him 48 times" person and they have absolutely no clue who and what he is. 

Of course I'm sure you know all this already but I am killing time until the plumber gets here this AM

• Like 1

Sometimes the words are amazing

Here is Johnny Winter covering the Nobel Prize winning Bob Dylan

BTW: Best Dylan lyrics ever: Ballad of a Thin Man?

sometimes you don't have a clue what these guys are singing about but the music is so well composed and played that you don't care

• Like 1

... and some songs just need to be covered when the girl who broke your heart shows up at a gig

OK, sorry for the delay ... I now return you to 2018

Found this the other day. KC at their best, Fripp, Wetton, Bruford and Cross

Was at this concert, one of my favorite ever. Tickets? $1.50

• Upvote 1

Got an old mutli-timbral synth?

stuff like this is easy and a blast to make

Hint: Best played while in an "enhanced" mood 

What ever happened to Ralphe Armstrong? Great bass player who kinda just disappeared early on in his career

Solos in order, BTW, are Ralphe, Daryl Struemer and the late great Alan Holdsworth with some Steve Smith drums thrown in for good measure

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

wow

haven't heard that in a loooooong time

bought the album in MONO way back then

Can you imagine ? MONO !

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yes, sadly I can.  lol

Loved Cream back in the day (still do).  Was in college before I learned where this tune came from.  Amazing how Cream spun this Blind Joe Reynolds classic.  Love the sound of his slide and raspy vocal.

even more wow !

never heard that before

thanks

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

now that made me do this

thought it was Jimmy's best solo, wore out the track on the album :) 

• Upvote 3

Heard Supper's Ready while driving yesterday and made me late because I had to listen it through, then this piece came into my head and much like Lana at Joel Goodson's house, it won't leave ! 

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company