The Gun Of Bavaria

What are u listening to right now?

On 3/9/2017 at 0:33 PM, jetophile said:

Grand Funk Railroad, haha, what memories.  There were 8 of us first cousins on my Mom's side in Flushing. I was the baby.  One of my cousins went through this Mark Farner phase, armband and all.  In fact, they all went through a hippie chit phase. I thought my Grandpa was gonna lose his mind.  He was a barber, and he would chase them with scissors. I could never tell if he was trying to cut their hair or murder them. Probably both. I loved my Grandpa, he was something else. He's been gone for 36 years and we still talk about him. He's a legend. 

I'm your Captain is one of the greatest rock tuns ever written. 

15 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Big RUSH fan here. Have seen them many times.  I was backstage in 2012 with tour manager, thrill of a lifetime, had wine with Geddy and Alex. Neil doesn't do that stuff.

• Upvote 2

Jimmy Page stated this was the most innovative band he's seen in 20 years.  I saw them at a club in Charlotte

that holds 1500, they were unreal.  2 Piece band sounds like 4 piece.

Whats great about Jazz is the same tune can be carried in 100 different ways. I put together a playlist of "Love for Sale" yesterday .  10 artists, 10 versions.  KD Lang did a rendition.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2017 at 7:35 AM, Kleckineau said:

Whats great about Jazz is the same tune can be carried in 100 different ways. I put together a playlist of "Love for Sale" yesterday .  10 artists, 10 versions.  KD Lang did a rendition.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dexter was a boss back then. Love his style. Him and Sonny Rollins,Stan Getz wow.

You mention how jazz artists can take an often played song and transform it, Dexter does a version of Tangerine that exemplifies this.

Im a HUGE Dexter Gordon fan.

This is a piece he did with one of my favorite vocalists.  Its on his Goyham album.

I assume you've seen "Round Midnight".  he starts a a sax player living in France.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:37 AM, munchmemory said:

Love Zebra.  Saw them a bunch of times in clubs back in the day.

Me too.....  OBI, Mad Hatter, My Fathers place, Cheers.   ZEbra was fantastic live.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

This gem showed up on my YouTube recommendations today.  Until then, I was unaware of its existence.  This is a must listen for all Rush fans, especially @Kleck, @southpark, @peebag and @Larz.  Their sound at this venue in Cleveland--in 1974--just blew me away.  They were in very great form.  Hope you all dig it too.

Unfortunately, the dope who uploaded it does not allow embedding.  But here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiOJ2fiqNM

I love that raw guitar opening.... I remember in HS playing Bastille Day, Anthem, 2112  and Circumstances as part of our bands RUSH tunes.   

Got VIP a few years back and met them  and had wine with them.  Sound check, went onstage before the show.   I pinch myself to this day. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2017 at 2:06 PM, munchmemory said:

Ever hear him play Donna Lee or Blackbird?  Both are on that album.

he was so creative......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

For us Rush fans.

Yeah...   LOVE Geddy. In a VIP event had an opportunity to chat with him briefly.  

Told him as a young HS bassist what an influence he was on me.

He said, very softly, Thank you, that is so nice of you to say.

He and Alex in the VIP room treat those lucky enough to be there with gratitude.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

That’s awesome.  Watching Ron Carter glance over like a beginner. Playing that counterpoint .

The guy was a monster on bass.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As a bassist, you can appreciate Carter's incredible playing.  And what a triumvirate of talent on that stage.  Whew.

What most people would not know is that all of these bassists are classically trained. Carter especially , he went to Eastman school.   But Mingus, Brown , Christian McBride, ALL of them played in an orchestra with a bow at one point.  Heres McBride with Diana Krall. Im seeing her next month here in Charlotte.

• Like 1

So I  am ear deep in learning spanish.  Im really into it and so Im listening to a lot of latino music. This guys is pretty good.

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

The Springsteen people are among the worst with that. "Clemons is the greatest sax player who ever lived" etc.

Funny thing is that the E Street Band had a great player on their early albums, David Sancious. Played mostly keys for them (ever notice the organ solo on Kitty's Back and the piano intro on NYC Serenade is a cut or two above the normal musicianship of that band?). In fact, the name of the band came from where his mother lived (E St. obviously) where they practiced. Sancious also plays a mean guitar (try to read that without thinking that he also ate at the steak bar) in the studio with a number of people incl. Clarke, Gabriel and Michael Walden. He does some great solo piano albums and had a great band called "Tone". But ask just about any Springstein "I've seen him 48 times" person and they have absolutely no clue who and what he is. 

Of course I'm sure you know all this already but I am killing time until the plumber gets here this AM

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wow, did you bring back a name from my past with Sancious. Think I was one of the 10 folks who bought his solo records back in the 70s-80s.  Great player.

Funny you mention Springsteen's band.  I met a drummer/teacher a while back and we got to talking music.  Guy went off completely on Max Weinberg.  Hated his playing.  Said Max could only "play one fukkin' fill". lol

So this is, in my readings and opinion, Keith Emersons biggest influence from jazz, He loved Oscar Peterson.   Go to the one minute mark plus  and you can hear a LOT if Keith Emerson where he improvizes in Take a Pebble Live, etc. NOt to mention Neils Henning on Bass.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I can hear it.  I would guess Oscar Peterson has influenced most great pianists.  He's such a master of the instrument.

I mention this every chance I get.  Somewhere back in the late 70s/early 80s, I was graced by the Creator and wound up at a legendary show at Carnegie Hall.  At the time, I had been to a few jazz shows at the Village Gate or Sweet Basil's, but was not really knowledgeable about jazz or knew that many artists in the genre.  This show would change my opinion of jazz forever as well as my life.

On the bill that night?  In this order: Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, the Basie Band and Ella Fitzgerald.  After each complete their set and encores, they all came out together a jammed a bunch of tunes with the Basie Orchestra.  The audience was left absolutely stunned by what they had witnessed/heard.  

That’s unreal....    I’m such a Joe Pass fan.  I wake up each morning to Joe Pass radio on Pandora played through SONOS.   I went to the Village Vanguard last summer for the first time.   Really special. 

• Like 1

The greatest guitar player , in not just my opinion, but read his OBIT when he passed in the New York Times. He was special.  

LOVE listening to him.

• Upvote 1

Ive got this just about mastered on the guitar.  I sent this link to a "Skype friend" in Spain who I speak with weekly. She plays classical guitar.  Her response was "He's just playing basic arpeggios".  I almost cried. @munchmemory

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Tell her to GFY.  Can't believe you almost have this down.  I could only dream about accomplishing this.  Nice work.

I used THIS tutorial. Broke it down into sections. Ive been at it a few years on and off.    BTW...she's quite attractive, Id rather tell her to GF me. :)

• Haha 1

THIS IS A 2 piece band. Saw them about 2 years ago in a 1000 person club. 

Unreal. Jimmy Page said they were on of the best new sounds he ever heard.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

did this on piano (4 easy chords) at an open mic and NO ONE noticed how brilliant this song is 

you young people suck :)

You and I are lock step in music but I’m not feeling this...  and I’m not young.  

I miss my piano. Moved  6 months ago to a condo and put my piano in my GFs house.  I used to play everyday. 

My my go to songs for a hotel lobby we’re Our House, whiter Shade of pale, Hey Jude and basic stuff like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Check out this kid from Chile. He commented on an ELP FB page so I looked at who he was and found a bunch of videos.

He plays ALL instruments  guitar and BASS upside down like Hendrix.

• Upvote 2

So I came across this guy as we both own "Stonebridge/Furch' Guitars.  Friggin ridiculous.

I emailed him and asked if he used any backtracks etc...  he was rightfully insulted.  This is just him and a guitar.

• Upvote 1

While absolutely NOT  for everyone, listened to a piece on Sirius Jazz 67 from Coleman Hawkins where Major Holly was the bassist. Known for singing hos solos with a bow.  He guest taught one Saturday at a jazz clinic I attended and it was so rewarding to have him working with the 4-5 bassists that were there. Telling us stories of be bop in the 50's etc.

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company