What are u listening to right now?

• 4 weeks later...

We got there late.  Heard the end and then "Thankoo Bwook Winn Goo Night!"

Strange pairing. 

Back in the 60s and 70s, it was commonplace for artists/bands of different genres to play on the same bill.  In 1976, I saw Angel, Rush, and ZZ Top all on one bill.  Phenomenal show.  Angel:  Talk about cartoonish.  But they could play/sing.

Check out Barry Brandt's drumming.  Also, that's Greg Giuffria on keyboards.

Edited by Borgoguy
  • Upvote 1

Came to this group in the nineties-wish I had known of them sooner.

Same thing happened to me with Nick Drake.  

Annie Haslam is an incredible vocalist.  Her voice is like the clearest glass.  

"Carpet of the Sun", from the album Ashes are Burning, was big when I was in high school.  I found this live, acoustic, version a few years back.

Carpet Of The Sun was the song which turned me on to Renaissance.

Kind of a reversal here, because I discovered Nick Drake when his first album was released over here.  Rolling Stone gave it a good review, a friend had it and was indifferent to it, so I traded the second Led Zeppelin album, (which I was disappointed in) for Nick Drake.  Don't regret it a bit.

Here's one of my favorite cuts by him.  This must be the British version of the album, because the American vinyl didn't look this, and it wasn't titled Bryter Layter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMW_oDYnMk

Edited by kelticwizard

Carpet Of The Sun was the song which turned me on to Renaissance.

Kind of a reversal here, because I discovered Nick Drake when his first album was released over here.  Rolling Stone gave it a good review, a friend had it and was indifferent to it, so I traded the second Led Zeppelin album, (which I was disappointed in) for Nick Drake.  Don't regret it a bit.

Here's one of my favorite cuts by him.  This must be the British version of the album, because the American vinyl didn't look this, and it wasn't titled Bryter Layter.

KW, I still don't get how I missed Nick Drake.   Growing up, I had records for everyone from that era, American and British.  For some reason, his worked escaped me.  

Now, I consider Drake as one of the best songwriters and guitarists in any genre, even if his tunings cause me to break strings once in a while.  

Love that tune, BTW.  Many thanks.  

I posted this in my Great Ones Thread.  It's Nick's home demo of "Fly", which is one of my favorite Drake songs.

That Francesa jingle is actually pretty good.  Only thing is, it's better than the show.

You'd be smart to listen the jingle and then tune into something else, lol.

Anyway, one of the reasons I first paid attention to Nick Drake was that he was a dead ringer for one of the my close college friends.  Guy had the same laid-back personality that came through in Nick Drake's music. Just looking at the pic made me look him up on Startpage, (google is getting a little nosy).  

I must say, for someone who I didn't think many people knew about, I've been lately hearing Nick Drake's music in commercials and other places.  Here's a clip from a movie for one of my favorites, Northern Sky.

Edited by kelticwizard

That Francesa jingle is actually pretty good.  Only thing is, it's better than the show.

You'd be smart to listen the jingle and then tune into something else, lol.

Anyway, one of the reasons I first paid attention to Nick Drake was that he was a dead ringer for one of the my close college friends.  Guy had the same laid-back personality that came through in Nick Drake's music. Just looking at the pic made me look him up on Startpage, (google is getting a little nosy).  

I must say, for someone who I didn't think many people knew about, I've been lately hearing Nick Drake's music in commercials and other places.  Here's a clip from a movie for one of my favorites, Northern Sky.

Great song.  I play it often.

Recently, I saw a TV commercial for Sprint.  I would have sworn it was Nick Drake in the background.  Actually it's Alexi Murdoch, who sounds very much like Drake, both vocally and on guitar.  Right?

Wow-Alexi Murdock really is Robin Trower to Nick Drake's Hendrix.

I was wondering if the other commercials were Murdoch too but I see that Nick Drake has been used for AT&T, Volkswagen and possibly others.

Hope Murdoch sends a royalty to the Drake Estate.  :biggrin:

Was it them or Vow Wow who got an English bassist in at the tail end of the 80's, who was about 2 foot taller than the rest of the band?

They both got English speakers.  Loudness got a singer that dumped them mid-tour for Yngwie and Bow Wow or Vow Wow or whatever the **** they were calling themselves got the bass player from Whitesnake.  I think that is who you meant. 

• 2 weeks later...