What are u listening to right now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As a bassist, you can appreciate Carter's incredible playing.  And what a triumvirate of talent on that stage.  Whew.

What most people would not know is that all of these bassists are classically trained. Carter especially , he went to Eastman school.   But Mingus, Brown , Christian McBride, ALL of them played in an orchestra with a bow at one point.  Heres McBride with Diana Krall. Im seeing her next month here in Charlotte.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

What most people would not know is that all of these bassists are classically trained. Carter especially , he went to Eastman school.   But Mingus, Brown , Christian McBride, ALL of them played in an orchestra with a bow at one point. 

They would need to be.  Also, most folks believe jazz is just stuff the musicians make up on the spot with no structure. lol  Reality is that it is the most complex music even more than classical (IMO). 

Only person I can think of who did not have classical training is Buddy Rich.  According to him, he never had a lesson.  Just began drumming as a kid.  With his chops, that's stunning.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, munchmemory said:

.. it was kind of boring man, I didn't get it, the drummer is no Max Weinberg and none of these guys are real musicians like Eric Clapton 

Seriously though, I enjoyed the heck out of that. Three of my favorites and all Miles alumni (but never at the same time?). I told you there were some cool people on this forum with extremely great taste in music, just bad taste in football.

I miss this stuff a lot. We all thought that fusing jazz and rock was the real future in the early 70's (start with jazz like this and add electric instruments), if nothing else, it is a blast to play and you didn't have to sing. It even went well over in the bars and if it wasn't a southern-rock or pop place, audiences went nuts. It didn't last long though and disco (spit on the floor) came along, effectively starting the slow decline of humanity into extinction.

How about some love for Mr. Cobham? Talented and versatile, he should be way more famous than he is. If you go back far enough, it was a big deal when he beat out Buddy Rich for the #1 spot in the Down Beat polls. We first noticed him in a band called Dreams (pre Miles electric), a really early fusion band with Abercrombie and both Brecker Bros (and later Will Lee, another pretty fair bassist), but his work in Mahavishnu on that clear set of Fibes drums blew everyone's minds. To this day, pros still play Stratus from his first solo album, including Beck, McLaughlin and Clarke. 

The sad part is that a lot of the same people who were winning the Down Beat polls back then are still doing it. There should have been some evolution from that time and now if it isn't a dead art form, it is dying (sigh). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

.. it was kind of boring man, I didn't get it, the drummer is no Max Weinberg and none of these guys are real musicians like Eric Clapton 

Seriously though, I enjoyed the heck out of that. Three of my favorites and all Miles alumni (but never at the same time?). I told you there were some cool people on this forum with extremely great taste in music, just bad taste in football.

I miss this stuff a lot. We all thought that fusing jazz and rock was the real future in the early 70's (start with jazz like this and add electric instruments), if nothing else, it is a blast to play and you didn't have to sing. It even went well over in the bars and if it wasn't a southern-rock or pop place, audiences went nuts. It didn't last long though and disco (spit on the floor) came along, effectively starting the slow decline of humanity into extinction.

How about some love for Mr. Cobham? Talented and versatile, he should be way more famous than he is. If you go back far enough, it was a big deal when he beat out Buddy Rich for the #1 spot in the Down Beat polls. We first noticed him in a band called Dreams (pre Miles electric), a really early fusion band with Abercrombie and both Brecker Bros (and later Will Lee, another pretty fair bassist), but his work in Mahavishnu on that clear set of Fibes drums blew everyone's minds. To this day, pros still play Stratus from his first solo album, including Beck, McLaughlin and Clarke. 

The sad part is that a lot of the same people who were winning the Down Beat polls back then are still doing it. There should have been some evolution from that time and now if it isn't a dead art form, it is dying (sigh). 

I was about to unleash loaded for bear.  lol  

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was about to unleash loaded for bear.  lol  

The Springsteen people are among the worst with that. "Clemons is the greatest sax player who ever lived" etc.

Funny thing is that the E Street Band had a great player on their early albums, David Sancious. Played mostly keys for them (ever notice the organ solo on Kitty's Back and the piano intro on NYC Serenade is a cut or two above the normal musicianship of that band?). In fact, the name of the band came from where his mother lived (E St. obviously) where they practiced. Sancious also plays a mean guitar (try to read that without thinking that he also ate at the steak bar) in the studio with a number of people incl. Clarke, Gabriel and Michael Walden. He does some great solo piano albums and had a great band called "Tone". But ask just about any Springstein "I've seen him 48 times" person and they have absolutely no clue who and what he is. 

Of course I'm sure you know all this already but I am killing time until the plumber gets here this AM

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

The Springsteen people are among the worst with that. "Clemons is the greatest sax player who ever lived" etc.

Funny thing is that the E Street Band had a great player on their early albums, David Sancious. Played mostly keys for them (ever notice the organ solo on Kitty's Back and the piano intro on NYC Serenade is a cut or two above the normal musicianship of that band?). In fact, the name of the band came from where his mother lived (E St. obviously) where they practiced. Sancious also plays a mean guitar (try to read that without thinking that he also ate at the steak bar) in the studio with a number of people incl. Clarke, Gabriel and Michael Walden. He does some great solo piano albums and had a great band called "Tone". But ask just about any Springstein "I've seen him 48 times" person and they have absolutely no clue who and what he is. 

Of course I'm sure you know all this already but I am killing time until the plumber gets here this AM

Wow, did you bring back a name from my past with Sancious. Think I was one of the 10 folks who bought his solo records back in the 70s-80s.  Great player.

Funny you mention Springsteen's band.  I met a drummer/teacher a while back and we got to talking music.  Guy went off completely on Max Weinberg.  Hated his playing.  Said Max could only "play one fukkin' fill". lol

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wow, did you bring back a name from my past with Sancious. Think I was one of the 10 folks who bought his solo records back in the 70s-80s.  Great player.

Funny you mention Springsteen's band.  I met a drummer/teacher a while back and we got to talking music.  Guy went off completely on Max Weinberg.  Hated his playing.  Said Max could only "play one fukkin' fill". lol

So this is, in my readings and opinion, Keith Emersons biggest influence from jazz, He loved Oscar Peterson.   Go to the one minute mark plus  and you can hear a LOT if Keith Emerson where he improvizes in Take a Pebble Live, etc. NOt to mention Neils Henning on Bass.

19 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So this is, in my readings and opinion, Keith Emersons biggest influence from jazz, He loved Oscar Peterson.   Go to the one minute mark plus  and you can hear a LOT if Keith Emerson where he improvizes in Take a Pebble Live, etc. NOt to mention Neils Henning on Bass.

Yeah, I can hear it.  I would guess Oscar Peterson has influenced most great pianists.  He's such a master of the instrument.

I mention this every chance I get.  Somewhere back in the late 70s/early 80s, I was graced by the Creator and wound up at a legendary show at Carnegie Hall.  At the time, I had been to a few jazz shows at the Village Gate or Sweet Basil's, but was not really knowledgeable about jazz or knew that many artists in the genre.  This show would change my opinion of jazz forever as well as my life.

On the bill that night?  In this order: Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, the Basie Band and Ella Fitzgerald.  After each complete their set and encores, they all came out together a jammed a bunch of tunes with the Basie Orchestra.  The audience was left absolutely stunned by what they had witnessed/heard.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I can hear it.  I would guess Oscar Peterson has influenced most great pianists.  He's such a master of the instrument.

I mention this every chance I get.  Somewhere back in the late 70s/early 80s, I was graced by the Creator and wound up at a legendary show at Carnegie Hall.  At the time, I had been to a few jazz shows at the Village Gate or Sweet Basil's, but was not really knowledgeable about jazz or knew that many artists in the genre.  This show would change my opinion of jazz forever as well as my life.

On the bill that night?  In this order: Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, the Basie Band and Ella Fitzgerald.  After each complete their set and encores, they all came out together a jammed a bunch of tunes with the Basie Orchestra.  The audience was left absolutely stunned by what they had witnessed/heard.  

That’s unreal....    I’m such a Joe Pass fan.  I wake up each morning to Joe Pass radio on Pandora played through SONOS.   I went to the Village Vanguard last summer for the first time.   Really special. 

• Sympathy 1