What are u listening to right now?

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Anyone else dig this band or have heard of them?  Another of those albums I bought from a bargain bin in The Village back in the 70s.  Such a great song and vibe.

When I was 13, 1978 me and my friend age 14 were allowed to go into the city via train etc. from Morris County, NJ. We would go to Bleeker Bob record store we were into the Clash, DJ and the NY Dolls,Tom Petty, Sex Pistols, Joe Jackson, Squeeze, Lou Reed, Boomtown Rats, Good Rats etc.etc,. Do you think parents let their kids do that these days? I remember the Pink Pussycat store too, lol. Some of these bands you post are of a different genre, and I know and enjoy a great deal of genres of ALL music, however, thanks for exposing me to some bands and songs I've never heard.

Saw them at The Showplace in Dover, NJ in 1977/78? Don't remember a thing, but I know I was there.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

When I was 13, 1978 me and my friend age 14 were allowed to go into the city via train etc. from Morris County, NJ. We would go to Bleeker Bob record store we were into the Clash, DJ and the NY Dolls,Tom Petty, Sex Pistols, Joe Jackson, Squeeze, Lou Reed, Boomtown Rats, Good Rats etc.etc,. Do you think parents let their kids do that these days? I remember the Pink Pussycat store too, lol. Some of these bands you post are of a different genre, and I know and enjoy a great deal of genres of ALL music, however, thanks for exposing me to some bands and songs I've never heard.

Saw them at The Showplace in Dover, NJ in 1977/78? Don't remember a thing, but I know I was there.  

I'm a little older than you, but remember Bleecker Bob's very well.  A few other lesser known places (one on St. Mark's Pl.) in the City I can't recall their names.  But you could always find fantastic imports and commercially unknown bands.  

bleecker_bobs_-_Google_Search_-_2018-12-

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

In the top shelf of rock vocals there is Paul Rodgers, Paul Rodgers and everybody who was influenced by Paul Rodgers.

Just an awesome tune.  What a voice.

Since hearing them way back when, I have been such a huge fan of Rodgers and Free.  I'd take Rodgers' raspy vocals over early-days Rod Stewart any day of the week.  And every one else in the group could play.  Like Uriah Heep's Gary Thain, I always though Andy Fraser should have received more accolades for his inventive bass playing.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Just an awesome tune.  What a voice.

Since hearing them way back when, I have been such a huge fan of Rodgers and Free.  I'd take Rodgers' raspy vocals over early-days Rod Stewart any day of the week.  And every one else in the group could play.  Like Uriah Heep's Gary Thain, I always though Andy Fraser should have received more accolades for his inventive bass playing.

Yeah.  It's amazing how many rock fans worship at the altar of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.  When if you know about what a blues based rock combo can do and how hard it is to create a sound that's bigger than the some of it;s parts... Free was like the ultimate definition of that.  If Paul Kossoff hadn't been a junkie they literally would have ruled the world.  As it is, there are albums like Free Live!, The Free Story and Songs of Yesterday that totally blow away 99 per cent of any similar music out of the water.  There are just like different levels of why Rogers is probably the greatest frontman who ever lived and he only scratched the surface of what he was capable of.  He ended up doing sh*t like The Firm to pay the bills.  Ugh.

• Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  It's amazing how many rock fans worship at the altar of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.  When if you know about what a blues based rock combo can do and how hard it is to create a sound that's bigger than the some of it;s parts... Free was like the ultimate definition of that.  If Paul Kossoff hadn't been a junkie they literally would have ruled the world.  As it is, there are album like Free Live!, The Free Story and Songs of Yesterday that totally blow away 99 per cent of any similar music out of the water.  There are just like different levels of why Rogers is probably the greatest frontman who ever lived and he only scratched the surface of what he was capable of.  He ended up doing sh*t like The Firm to pay the bills.  Ugh.

Great post.  Totally agree about Free's ability to gel as a cohesive unit.  Their sound still presents as fresh today as it was back in the 70s.  So true about Kossoff.  Another one of the many gifted players cut down by drugs.  Just a shame he could not have produced more of his searing solos.

And what, you don't dig The Firm?  LOL!  I'm also a Jimmy Page disciple and hated the garbage from those two albums.   Just bad 80s music from two masters of their craft.  Yup, probably needed to buy a Summer home or pay off some bills.

One of my favorite New York-centric tracks, "Night Owl Blues."  The Lovin' Spoonful's residence at the Night Owl Cafe is considered one of rock's great live showcases.  I used to have it on a Rhino compilation of great 60's guitar tracks.  Man I still wish I had that album.  Anyways... the track showcases Zal Yanovsky's manic guitar playing.  He used steel finger picks to get a unique style where he tried to initiate Floyd Kramer's piano rolls on Nashville produced tracks.  Anyway, it's a total nuclear meltdown and it's amazing.  A great band and a great time in NY music history.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Dweezil is playing his Dad's Hot Rats on tour so we are going to see him this week. This is the jam from that album. That's Sugarcane Harris on the EV, not Ponty. Ian Underwood does the tenor solo. Great piece to jam along to. 

Leave it to Frank to make a funny reference to The Goldberg Variations.  Brilliant musician/composer, but also a very funny person.

• Upvote 1