What are u listening to right now?

34 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks for this, southpark.  Must have been a great show.  The gentleman is a very descriptive writer.  I know many Americans who are not as skilled in language arts.   Kudos to you for helping others learn English.

ASIDE:  Unlike you, I don't know how to "tag" posters.  How is this done?  

Just use the @ and their name and it will appear.   I was picturing this guy with his college buddies driving 8 hours to see the Stones.  growing up in NY we were spoiled.    The power of music.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Just use the @ and their name and it will appear.   I was picturing this guy with his college buddies driving 8 hours to see the Stones.  growing up in NY we were spoiled.    The power of music.  

Thanks, dude.   Yeah, we had so many venues in the Tri-State Area.  Plus, all the great bands played here.

A band I saw several times back then as they were always around.  Still love them today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Took me like three days to remember the name of this song.  Wanted to hear that massive, plodding instrumental "choral" line.  Kept searching until two minutes ago when the skies parted and I saw the tune's title.  lol  I f*cking love this.  Wish they would noodle solos over it for hours.

I was/am a total fan of Prince (saw him a couple of times in the 80s).  Can't believe I missed the original Grammy's salute/broadcast on Tuesday.  Caught the re-run last night.  

Some interesting moments.  But as with so many of these shows, a director too interested in cutting to inane audience reaction shots instead of remaining on the performers.  Right in the middle of Gary Clark Jr.'s solo, we get to see some bimbo making her hands into a heart.  lol

Nice to see Prince's band from this era, The Revolution, back together.  Pretty faithful rendition of "Mountains".

Idiots at the Grammy's have not released most of the performances for sharing.  Here's the link to Foo Fighters doing "Darling Nikki":

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/videos/watch-foo-fighters-play-darling-nikki-lets-go-crazy-grammy-salute-prince

Beck doing "Raspberry Beret".  I now want Beck's white Gibson Dove.  Gorgeous.

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/videos/beck-performs-princes-raspberry-beret-lets-go-crazy-grammy-salute-prince

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So this maybe one of my favorite Jazz Standards. Attended a Jazz clinic with Richie Cole in 1982 I think.  His album Keeper of the Flame is a MUST.

Nice work bringing up Richie Cole.  I imagine it must have been nerve wracking playing in front of someone on that level.

I'm sure I must have heard cuts from the album you mention, but right now does not ring a bell.  I will check it out.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I'm at work, listening to our radio channel and it sounds like the end of the world. 

When I started this thread in February, 2005, I had 18 years remaining until retirement. Now I have three years, one month, one day. 

Massive props from me to you for starting this thread way back when.  It has allowed me to share my love of music with others as well as being exposed to songs I would never have known.

And you're still as handsome and vibrant as ever, Gun.  lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Speaking of Zeppelin imitators (best I ever saw covering them in a live setting).  Love the "strings" in this.

So Randy Jackson still lives on LI and is good friends with a buddy of mine.  He plays acoustic sets down in Florida as well.  Ive seen them probably 30 times.    Loved all their ZEP stuff. Rain Song, Khasmir, etc. They were amongst the first to cover RUSH.  They did Passage to Bangkok back in 78 and then added Farewell to Kings, Spirit of the Radio etc.  Met him in 81 give or take.  Was a huge Beatles fan as well. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So Randy Jackson still lives on LI and is good friends with a buddy of mine.  He plays acoustic sets down in Florida as well.  Ive seen them probably 30 times.    Loved all their ZEP stuff. Rain Song, Khasmir, etc. They were amongst the first to cover RUSH.  They did Passage to Bangkok back in 78 and then added Farewell to Kings, Spirit of the Radio etc.  Met him in 81 give or take.  Was a huge Beatles fan as well. 

Very cool that you've seen them a ton of times and met Randy.  Agree that they were one of the first to cover Rush (and do it spot on like their other covers).  Saw them, too a bunch of times in various LI rock clubs.  I still always recall their incredible cover of Moody Blues' "Question".  Ridiculously talented three piece that should have been more famous/successful than what they achieved.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Very cool that you've seen them a ton of times and met Randy.  Agree that they were one of the first to cover Rush (and do it spot on like their other covers).  Saw them, too a bunch of times in various LI rock clubs.  I still always recall their incredible cover of Moody Blues' "Question".  Ridiculously talented three piece that should have been more famous/successful than what they achieved.

I remember being about 16-17, snuck in to Solomon Grundy's in Bay Shore NY and I hear them play "Story in her eyes".  Don't think I ever hear the Question.   I heard Ride my See Saw and Story in her eyes.  Agreed on the success part.    

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember being about 16-17, snuck in to Solomon Grundy's in Bay Shore NY and I hear them play "Story in her eyes".  Don't think I ever hear the Question.   I heard Ride my See Saw and Story in her eyes.  Agreed on the success part.    

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  Those days are so long ago.

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because I am lame, I’ve only recently discovered that I love Pink Floyd, but I’m still in that newbie “The Wall” portion. Anyone have a recommendation for tracks/books/documentaries I can look for? 

The Wall is the commercial crap

Try the following albums in order to get a feel for their main evolution:

Meddle

Wish You Were Here

Animals

Division Bell

then start filling in

Ummagumma

Atom Heart Mother

Momentary Lapse of Reason

Dark Side of the Moon (also commercial but not as bad the Wall)

the earlier stuff was nothing like the later

or you could just go see High Pitch's band … that should do it

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

The Wall is the commercial crap

Try the following albums in order to get a feel for their main evolution:

Meddle

Wish You Were Here

Animals

Division Bell

then start filling in

Ummagumma

Atom Heart Mother

Momentary Lapse of Reason

Dark Side of the Moon (also commercial but not as bad the Wall)

the earlier stuff was nothing like the later

or you could just go see High Pitch's band … that should do it

the greatest 3 chord band on the planet. ?Animals is a master piece however. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because I am lame, I’ve only recently discovered that I love Pink Floyd, but I’m still in that newbie “The Wall” portion. Anyone have a recommendation for tracks/books/documentaries I can look for? 

Take a ride back to the early Floyd sound when Syd Barrett was leading the band and before he was lost to mental illness.  Watch the entire video, but especially check the gorgeous harmonies and trippy sound beginning at approx. 4:15.  Syd was clearly influenced big time by Lennon-McCartney.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Some of the greatest guitar work...   Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown , Jake Hanna.  The first early introduction to Jazz I had. Met a Jazz Guitarist who wanted to play a duet bass and guitar so he gave me this album to listen to.  Listen to "In a Meloow Tone moving into 7 come 11. It's fanstastic.  I always wanted to sound like Ray Brown.  TONS of 1-5 tones, passing tones. Basic stuff but he was the most in demand bassist in the USA.

• Sympathy 2

I have such a crush on H.E.R. (you can't take your eyes from from her gorgeous face).   Brilliant multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter.  Cross between Lauren Hill, Stevie Wonder (phrasing) and Prince.  Clearly she has been influenced by them all.