What are u listening to right now?

On 12/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, munchmemory said:

@NJ  @Drums Just watching this and thought you would appreciate the piece and technique dedicated to Neil Peart.  

That looks fun man. Really cool how he added those extra layers. Thanks for the mention. There are bands that I haven't gotten into but respect their drummers, and Rush/Neil Peart is one of them. The guy has influenced so many damn players.

• Upvote 1

I've probably shared this band before but they're Radio Moscow and they're pretty ******* legendary. I think their weakness is the vocals or they would be HUGE. Fun story from a few years ago: the drummer and guitar player got into a fight on stage and the drummer hit the guitar player with a guitar right in the forehead and the guy had a bad ass scar. 

So... reminiscing about my days as an upright Bass Player.  Scott Lafaro, RIP at 25 years old in 1961, his Bass is at Kolstein Music in Baldwin NY. One of the world premiere Violin shops.   Barry Kolstein, shown here is about 70. His dad, Samuel Kolstein has passed. I bought my first and only Bass from them in 1979.  Google Kolstein music and a treasure of great Bass Players come up.  Barry was kind enough to recommend a new teacher to me at 17. He said.. "Kid , your technique looks pedestrian".   I will always be grateful. @munchmemory @The Crimson King

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'd like you to meet my dear friend Richard Swift. Unfortunately he died a few years ago and even though I don't actually know him I'm still sad about it.

This is the song that got me hooked, dig the falsetto:

And here is a really good concert:

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So... reminiscing about my days as an upright Bass Player.  Scott Lafaro, RIP at 25 years old in 1961, his Bass is at Kolstein Music in Baldwin NY. One of the world premiere Violin shops.   Barry Kolstein, shown here is about 70. His dad, Samuel Kolstein has passed. I bought my first and only Bass from them in 1979.  Google Kolstein music and a treasure of great Bass Players come up.  Barry was kind enough to recommend a new teacher to me at 17. He said.. "Kid , your technique looks pedestrian".   I will always be grateful. @munchmemory @The Crimson King

Thanks very much for sharing this video, southpark.  After you mentioning Lafaro, his music with Bill Evans is playing here right now.  About to open a sparkler and this is just the ticket.  From those legendary shows.   Evans has always brought me to my knees with his phrasing.  And what's left to say about Lafaro's tragic death?   Where could he have taken the bass past where he already left an indelible mark.

I was not familiar with the Kolstein shop. So cool that you own one of their basses.