What are u listening to right now?

47 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks very much for sharing this video, southpark.  After you mentioning Lafaro, his music with Bill Evans is playing here right now.  About to open a sparkler and this is just the ticket.  From those legendary shows.   Evans has always brought me to my knees with his phrasing.  And what's left to say about Lafaro's tragic death?   Where could he have taken the bass past where he already left an indelible mark.

I was not familiar with the Kolstein shop. So cool that you own one of their basses.   

He did things with the bass at 25 in 1957 that were unheard of. Playing melodic thirds above the piano bass line, syncopation etc.  I have been listening to Live at the Village Vanguard now for 2 days.  I TRULY feel blessed to have met Sam Kolstein and Barry.   I walked in their shop in 1979 and they answered the door with... we are appointment only.  I looked dejected and they let me in anyway My dad passed so I had about $1000. I bought a second hand bass they redid.  BUT when you enter their shop and see all the photos. George Duvier, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, all the bassists of the NY Phil etc.   It is special.   Barry referred me to a teacher, second bassist at nY Phil and he really helped me.   Ahh... enough Merry Christmas.  ? 

• Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

SO.... great find BUT that is Chuck Israel’s. NOT LaFaro. Israel is a monster.  What technique.  BTW.... Lafaros real first name is Rocco.  ?

Yeah, I knew that was Isreal.  Just saw the video on the YouTube queue and had to post it.   He is indeed a monster.  What bass players in that era, right?

I did not know his name was Rocco.  Yeah, add another guinea to the list of geniuses. 

EDIT:  Should have noted that I'm Italian and was being funny with "guinea".  And anyway, I much prefer WOP.  lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Drums said:

One of my all time favorite drum solos

Obviously you’re into drums. I’ve seen  Peart, Carl Palmer am very involved in Carolina Crown, a drum Corp but a few years ago I saw The Aristocrats a GREAT trio of great musicians.  The drummer is on par with any I’ve ever heard. 

• Sympathy 2

On 12/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, Beerfish said:

My Favourite CS & N song.  Just excellent, lyrics, music, harmonies and production.

Brings back memories round 1976, had a tape of Dead from 1976 Englishtown, NJ, one of the many benefits of having a best friend with older brothers 10 years our senior, so at 11 I had that plenty of tapes, and remember having a total of 2, 8 track tapes....... Queen A night at the Opera and CSN with this song. I'm not a hippie born in '65, love all kinds of music. Good Fkin Music...

• Upvote 2

Love one of the comments:
Don't go, Al....My GOD. This is one of the most difficult transitions of life I felt ins quite sometime. 02/17/2017 - The day jazz took pause. You my inspiration. You were my vocal mentor...A distant teacher. A source of tranquility. Your music a place to dwell. The ancestors welcome your arrival with songs of style, soul, grace and expression Rest in heaven, brother. You blessed us with "Alonzo", "We Got By", Spain, Take 5, and "Not like this" Along with soooooo many others.....I just want to say, thank you. You will be sorely missed...

• Sympathy 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, southparkcpa said:

He did things with the bass at 25 in 1957 that were unheard of. Playing melodic thirds above the piano bass line, syncopation etc.  I have been listening to Live at the Village Vanguard now for 2 days.  I TRULY feel blessed to have met Sam Kolstein and Barry.   I walked in their shop in 1979 and they answered the door with... we are appointment only.  I looked dejected and they let me in anyway My dad passed so I had about $1000. I bought a second hand bass they redid.  BUT when you enter their shop and see all the photos. George Duvier, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, all the bassists of the NY Phil etc.   It is special.   Barry referred me to a teacher, second bassist at nY Phil and he really helped me.   Ahh... enough Merry Christmas.  ? 

Another Bill Evans fan I see!  Man I love Bill Evans.  Have his autobiography.  I was reading an interview with a critic the other day who said Evans partially modeled his playing style in part after the pianist/songstress Blossom Dearie. So I've been discovering her the past few days.   

When I first heard Bill literally was like in a daze for a few months.  Those rootless chord voicings with that left hand that was like "sparklimg water cascading down a waterfall" (as Miles Davis put it)  -- it just moved me beyond measure.  Since I played guitar I always looked for a similar sound in thst instrument. The closest I found was the Canadian jazzed Lenny Breau.  Who was himself a huge Evans fan.

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Another Bill Evans fan I see!  Man I love Bill Evans.  Have his autobiography.  I was reading an interview with a critic the other day who said Evans partially modeled his playing style in part after the pianist/songstress Blossom Dearie. So I've been discovering her the past few days.   

When I first heard Bill literally was like in a daze for a few months.  Those rootless chord voicings with that left hand that was like "sparklimg water cascading down a waterfall" (as Miles Davis put it)  -- it just moved me beyond measure.  Since I played guitar I always looked for a similar sound in thst instrument. The closest I found was the Canadian jazzed Lenny Breau.  Who was himself a huge Evans fan.

That's awesome...    I noted that both LaFaro and Chuck Israels played a lot of harmonic thirds and fifths instead of the root over many of Evans works. I wonder if that was something Evans liked for them to do etc..  makes it a little more difficult for the average listener.  Guitars..  I wake up every morning to Pandora and established a "Joe Pass" station. Best music in the world to wake up to.  

• Upvote 1

oh nooooo.... time to get a new subwoofer...  I may have to take a break from listening to music.  If stores were open today, I'd go get it now.. 

Any suggestions....  ?  It needs to be in the $500-$1,000 list price range and available thru best buy where my son gets employee discount...  for audio usually 45% off.  (

Love my Bowers & Wilkins..  will move to new thread