What are u listening to right now?

13 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yes.  And I like how he sings it better.  I was just looking for a version that I could see the chords a bit to learn it.   It’s probably my favorite KISS song altogether. 

It's a great song, one of my favorites as well.

Another good one from The Cat Man...

• Upvote 1

dude - she's doing things in stocking feet on one pedal that I can barely do with both pedals on my double. 
Incredible.
Scuse me ... going to take my shoes off, throw on some argyles and head to the kit in the basement  ..
Phantom bass drum triplets in this song are required single bass technique.

Took me a year to learn to play it like Bonham.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 5/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, Dunnie said:

Phantom bass drum triplets in this song are required single bass technique.

Took me a year to learn to play it like Bonham.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You will appreciate this quote by Jimmy Page on Bonham's technique.  Note the second paragraph I've bolded regarding Bonzo's ability with the single bass drum roll.  That's insane.

On the subject of John Bonham, are you able to explain for someone who’s not a drummer why he was so important and so irreplaceable?
Well, the first track of the first album is “Good Times, Bad Times,” and that’s no accident. The reason why it’s on there is because it’s actually quite a short piece of music, but it sums up so much in so many ideas, all in one go. It’s just an explosion that hits you. But one of the key factors of it, apart from the riff, is the actual drumming, because what he does on the drums during that track just changes people’s attitude to drums overnight. That’s all there is to it.

One of the other things that he could do was a roll on the bass drum with one foot and one pedal. It wasn’t two bass drums; it was one foot. You might hear people say, “Oh, I can do that.” But the thing is, you see how long they can do it for, and they’ll soon pack up. They might do it just for a little bit, but he could do it for ages. His technique was just out of this world, but he had the imagination to go with it as well.

So, yes, John Bonham could get a lot of volume out of his drums, not by forehand smashes, but just because he knew how to tune the drums in such a way that they would project. He would have a natural balance to everything he was playing. And then he’d give a bass-drum accent that you’d feel it go into your stomach. His technique was just amazing. He was such fun to play with. But the other thing was that he loved Led Zeppelin. He really loved the band, and he used to play the music at home. So we had a lot of fun, and a lot of fun improvising onstage.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jimmy-page-anthology-interview-bonham-led-zeppelin-1074825/

New to this thread and didn't go back and read any of it.

Just finished the new Black Keys album.  It's a throw back to their roots.  Very Allman Brothers vibe. Delta Kream is the album.  Favorite album I've listened to in awhile.

It's cover album of a bunch of songs they learned when just starting out.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

New to this thread and didn't go back and read any of it.

Just finished the new Black Keys album.  It's a throw back to their roots.  Very Allman Brothers vibe. Delta Kream is the album.  Favorite album I've listened to in awhile.

It's cover album of a bunch of songs they learned when just starting out.  

Was just listening to this the other night.  Very cool vibe.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Was just listening to this the other night.  Very cool vibe.  

1st time for me.  Skipped around a bit just now thru a few tracks. Reminds me of so many diff't bands.  The slide is so Duane. But also a little ZZ Top in there.  Peter Green popped into my head too.  Looking forward to a free hour to listen. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

1st time for me.  Skipped around a bit just now thru a few tracks. Reminds me of so many diff't bands.  The slide is so Duane. But also a little ZZ Top in there.  Peter Green popped into my head too.  Looking forward to a free hour to listen. 

Look, any band which decides to cover John Lee Hooker and R.L. Burnside gets my attention.  This album is an old school throwback.  

Fantastic job picking up the Peter Green vibe.  Now I hear it, too.  And Dan Auerbach's guitar/slide tone is just filthy.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Dcat, you hip to Green's work on Mayall's A Hard Road album?  He's like 20 years old when they cut this thing in 1967.  Clapton gets all the accolades, but Green in that era was just a killer blues player.  Ridiculous tone for those days.  Only other guy who came close was Jeff Beck.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Dcat, you hip to Green's work on Mayall's A Hard Road album?  He's like 20 years old when they cut this thing in 1967.  Clapton gets all the accolades, but Green in that era was just a killer blues player.  Ridiculous tone for those days.  Only other guy who came close was Jeff Beck.

wow.  Never had that piece of vinyl.  Had a couple of other bluesbreakers and the usual Mayall combinations..   Mayall always surrounded with great talent, nevertheless irritated me after not too long. Probably influenced by other half never wanting to keep anything he sings in play for more than 30 seconds.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wearing a Zappa t-shirt today so had top post one of Frank wailing.

I remember being in a record shop and seeing a poster of the Zappa album that had I'm The Slime on it. My father said that guy is crazy with a disgusted look on his face. This song came out in 1973 and is spot on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I remember being in a record shop and seeing a poster of the Zappa album that had I'm The Slime on it. My father said that guy is crazy with a disgusted look on his face. This song came out in 1973 and is spot on.

Thanks for that one, BJ.  Without a doubt, Zappa is the most underrated musician America has ever produced.  Just a brilliant composer and guitarist.  Plus, the guy put together his bands with some of the most gifted musicians around including Steve Vai, George Duke, Terry Bozzio, Vinny Colaiuta, and so many other greats.  You had to be top notch to even begin to comprehend, let alone interpret, his complex compositions.   Folks like our parents, generally, saw Zappa as a nut or goof, not understanding his genius.

You've probably seen these (think I may have posted them over the years), but the stories of their auditions with Zappa are legendary/hilarious.

Go to 12:30 in the video below:

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1