Jump to content

What are u listening to right now?


The Gun Of Bavaria
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm right there with you on The Smiths.  One of the all time great bands, imo.  I agree with basically everything you wrote.  I'm pretty sure we're on the same page musically.  Please keep posting songs you like, no matter how obscure.

Out of curiosity, do you like The Strokes?  My Bloody Valentine?

How about The Sundays?  I only am into a handful of their songs but they remind me so much of The Smiths.

The Strokes are fire.  I even love Julian Casablancas solo stuff.

The Sundays are ok, I mean, give me some Harriet Wheeler all day but they're a mode listen or kind of a, oh yeah, this is a good tune but not a sound I seek out.  Similarly w/ My Bloody Valentine.  They're like the English version of Sonic Youth, in a way.  Again, both mode listens.  I enjoy the sound, lots of songs but it's not a go to grab for me in my library.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The Strokes are fire.  I even love Julian Casablancas solo stuff.

The Sundays are ok, I mean, give me some Harriet Wheeler all day but they're a mode listen or kind of a, oh yeah, this is a good tune but not a sound I seek out.  Similarly w/ My Bloody Valentine.  They're like the English version of Sonic Youth, in a way.  Again, both mode listens.  I enjoy the sound, lots of songs but it's not a go to grab for me in my library.

Last one (for now):

Frank Zappa? (And I'm really referring to the instrumentals)

Jeff Buckley?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Last one (for now):

Frank Zappa? (And I'm really referring to the instrumentals)

Jeff Buckley?

How can you not like what Zappa does when he improvs?  It's incredible but his song writing?  Way too out there and just down right silly for me to ever get into.  I respect his talent though and you can get lost in his playing, for sure.

Buckley, never registered honestly.  Just his sound never caught my ear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

 

 

2 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

 

You're speaking to me, Bum.  The Beasties are my favorite.  This one, that never made the albums, oh my, straight fire funk jazz what the **** ever, it's amazing

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

How can you not like what Zappa does when he improves?  It's incredible but his song writing?  Way too out there and just down right silly for me to ever get into.  I respect his talent though and you can get lost in his playing, for sure.

Buckley, never registered honestly.  Just his sound never caught my ear.

Agreed.  Love Zappa's guitar playing but his songs with lyrics are generally too "out there".   I'll throw this out there for a JB recommendation (I'm torn between a few and the one I just posted but deleted was strangely cut off at the height of the song.)

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TuscanyTile2 sorry, Bum got me side tracked. 

A band I've dived into recently who is really much more complex and out there than I thought is Siouxsie and the Banshees.  I obviously knew of their hits and some of their big covers that hit the charts but some of their early stuff is incredible. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  Love Zappa's guitar playing but his songs with lyrics are generally too "out there".   I'll throw this out there for a JB recommendation (I'm torn between a few and the one I just posted but deleted was strangely cut off at the height of the song.)

 

Pretty good, clearly very talented.  Sounds like Radiohead.  And like Radiohead, a few songs I like and in the right moment can really feel it but for the most part just doesnt register for me.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Pretty good, clearly very talented.  Sounds like Radiohead.  And like Radiohead, a few songs I like and in the right moment can really feel it but for the most part just doesnt register for me.

 

 

Interestingly enough after seeing Buckley perform, Thom Yorke of Radiohead was inspired to change his vocal style to incorporate more falsetto. So yeah, the sound similarity checks out.

Radiohead has been a slow grower for me but I like a lot of their material now, and Grace by Jeff Buckley is just incredible imo. Especially with the context of his death the album is all that more powerful. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Ummm, love them, probably a top 10 favorite band of all time for me...how have you never heard of them?  They basically influenced all the music of the 90's/grunge scene.  Anywho, I'll post a few because there are so many.  I'll post the studio recording so you can hear them best. 

This is one of my favorite songs ever written:

 

 

Ohhhh this song. Yeah I've heard it before I like it but never knew who made it.

I dunno these guys were just never on my radar I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JiFapono said:

@Nolder - so many but those a few that I like that should give you an intro to their sound and style...

Huh, it's weird because it was almost like I would like every other song.

I guess for me it's kind of a hit or miss band no offense.

Some of it I like and some...I don't dislike but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to either.

They remind me a little bit of Weezer which I am also hit or miss with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

Huh, it's weird because it was almost like I would like every other song.

I guess for me it's kind of a hit or miss band no offense.

Some of it I like and some...I don't dislike but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to either.

They remind me a little bit of Weezer which I am also hit or miss with.

No offense taken, you like what you like, I tried to give you a variety, this a deep track.  They have a bunch more that are probably a little more of their iconic sound, more popular songs that I didnt share but I personally love "Letter to Memphis" - just a fun little tune.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, JiFapono said:

 

You're speaking to me, Bum.  The Beasties are my favorite.  This one, that never made the albums, oh my, straight fire funk jazz what the **** ever, it's amazing

 

 

I love them too (Hell I liked them when they were a punk band), and this reminds me to finally put this CD in my truck so I can veg out while driving to work

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I love them too (Hell I liked them when they were a punk band), and this reminds me to finally put this CD in my truck so I can veg out while driving to work

 

Hell yeah, and you just rep'd Social D?  I have an extreme man crush on Mike Ness.

 

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Hell yeah, and you just rep'd Social D?  I have an extreme man crush on Mike Ness.

 

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

My entire family has been notified that Sometimes I Do shall be played at my funeral.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

My entire family has been notified that Sometimes I Do shall be played at my funeral.

Nothing really matters when you're dead on the floor! 

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a new Danelectro for my birthday, it's freakin great.  I love it.  A couple of tones that it just nails and sounds soooo good when I play is Tommy Iommi, the other is Johnny Ramone.  So been playing a ton of their music over the last 2 weeks.  And **** me, do I love Iommi.  Like, I dont think Iommi is the greatest guitar player of all time, I'd probably let Hendrix and Page fight that out but I'm not sure there is a guitar sound I like more than Iommi.  It's soooo good.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...