Jump to content

What are u listening to right now?


The Gun Of Bavaria
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/16/2022 at 6:59 AM, JiFapono said:

I got a new Danelectro for my birthday, it's freakin great.  I love it.  A couple of tones that it just nails and sounds soooo good when I play is Tommy Iommi, the other is Johnny Ramone.  So been playing a ton of their music over the last 2 weeks.  And **** me, do I love Iommi.  Like, I dont think Iommi is the greatest guitar player of all time, I'd probably let Hendrix and Page fight that out but I'm not sure there is a guitar sound I like more than Iommi.  It's soooo good.

 

Happy Birthday, man.   Many, many more.

So, you're a lipstick pickup guy now?  Nice.  What a great gift.  Never owned one, but was just looking at a Danelectro a few days ago online.  Getting the itch for a new guitar.

In case you have not seen the documentary It Might Get Loud, you might appreciate James Patrick Page, OBE on his trusty Danelectro explaining one of his many iconic riffs.  And yes, I love Iommin, too.  Love his massive, dirty tone.  One of the legendary riff masters.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Happy Birthday, man.   Many, many more.

So, you're a lipstick pickup guy now?  Nice.  What a great gift.  Never owned one, but was just looking at a Danelectro a few days ago online.  Getting the itch for a new guitar.

In case you have not seen the documentary It Might Get Loud, you might appreciate James Patrick Page, OBE on his trusty Danelectro explaining one of his many iconic riffs.  And yes, I love Iommin, too.  Love his massive, dirty tone.  One of the legendary riff masters.

 

I wanted something different that fit what I played and I love the feel and look (it’s like sea foam) which fits my style which is mostly punk/surf rock which all have that 50s rock elements and it fits so well.

Yes that was a great doc.  Loved it.  Watching Jimmy and Jack laugh at the Edge for his style is my favorite part.    

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, munchmemory said:

Happy Birthday, man.   Many, many more.

So, you're a lipstick pickup guy now?  Nice.  What a great gift.  Never owned one, but was just looking at a Danelectro a few days ago online.  Getting the itch for a new guitar.

In case you have not seen the documentary It Might Get Loud, you might appreciate James Patrick Page, OBE on his trusty Danelectro explaining one of his many iconic riffs.  And yes, I love Iommin, too.  Love his massive, dirty tone.  One of the legendary riff masters.

 

Is that the one where it shows the Edge really isn't playing anything, just a lot of synthetic addition? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

London Calling is the greatest album of all time.

Fight me

Completely different style and sound but I would honestly suggest that Songs About Jane be a contender for a top 3 spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is what I consider to be hands down the greatest mashup ever made.  It's so good that I play it regularly just for the pure genius of it.    If you like Earth Wind & Fire, and Black Sabbath, then you must listen.  If you can't imagine them working together, then again, you must listen.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Really? I don't know maybe it's just a taste difference. Songs About Jane is one of the very few albums I've heard where I think every single song is a great song. I can't even think of another album like that off the top my head to be honest. I mean do you just not like Maroon 5 in general? Because I can understand that I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Here is what I consider to be hands down the greatest mashup ever made.  It's so good that I play it regularly just for the pure genius of it.    If you like Earth Wind & Fire, and Black Sabbath, then you must listen.  If you can't imagine them working together, then again, you must listen.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

 

 

This was great! I love mashups, real or fan made. One of my personal favorites that actually happened is Collision Course with Jay Z and Linkin Park.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

Here is what I consider to be hands down the greatest mashup ever made.  It's so good that I play it regularly just for the pure genius of it.    If you like Earth Wind & Fire, and Black Sabbath, then you must listen.  If you can't imagine them working together, then again, you must listen.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

 

 

I'm completely creeped out for some reason, thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nolder said:

Really? I don't know maybe it's just a taste difference. Songs About Jane is one of the very few albums I've heard where I think every single song is a great song. I can't even think of another album like that off the top my head to be honest. I mean do you just not like Maroon 5 in general? Because I can understand that I guess.

To go from one of the most iconic bands of all time, with one of the greatest albums of all time that has one of the best matching of iconic songs to the album titles ever, to Maroon 5, was appalling to say the least and required an empathic no gif.

We're talking about one of the most ground breaking bands of all time.  Not just their music and look, their social consciousness that drove their music and writing, their ability incorporate so many different sounds/genres and basically create their own style and sound that would influence and ushered incredibly original wave of new music for decades.  They were Chuck Berry, Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc. that's the type of legacy they left.  I'm not a list guy when it comes to music but another way of looking at this, Rolling Stones mag had "London Calling" the best album of the 80's and rank The Clash, the 28th greatest band of all time.  Maroon 5, will never show up on any great anything list, ever.

Like normally, I wouldnt even have a follow up and color my response because, like to each their own when it comes to music but this went too far and you need to hear it.  To even suggest Maroon 5 among the great artists of our time and act as if they produced anything significant, ever, to be in the conversation of creating one of the greatest albums of all time, is just insulting.  Bottom line.  And I dont feel bad about this because Maroon 5 would give you the same lecture.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

To go from one of the most iconic bands of all time, with one of the greatest albums of all time that has one of the best matching of iconic songs to the album titles ever, to Maroon 5, was appalling to say the least and required an empathic no gif.

We're talking about one of the most ground breaking bands of all time.  Not just their music and look, their social consciousness that drove their music and writing, their ability incorporate so many different sounds/genres and basically create their own style and sound that would influence and ushered incredibly original wave of new music for decades.  They were Chuck Berry, Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc. that's the type of legacy they left.  I'm not a list guy when it comes to music but another way of looking at this, Rolling Stones mag had "London Calling" the best album of the 80's and rank The Clash, the 28th greatest band of all time.  Maroon 5, will never show up on any great anything list, ever.

Like normally, I wouldnt even have a follow up and color my response because, like to each their own when it comes to music but this went too far and you need to hear it.  To even suggest Maroon 5 among the great artists of our time and act as if they produced anything significant, ever, to be in the conversation of creating one of the greatest albums of all time, is just insulting.  Bottom line.  And I dont feel bad about this because Maroon 5 would give you the same lecture.

 

First of all, before anything else, I have to say this right here is exactly why I don't usually talk about music with people. They get obnoxiously snobbish and lecture you as soon as you an express an opinion that somehow offends their own personal taste in music. You disappointed me here Jif. As far as The Clash being iconic, London Calling being an amazing album, etc no one including me would argue differently. I love The Clash they're great. I listened to them a lot as a teenager. I think it's ironic though that you're making an appeal to authority by quoting Rolling Stone magazine when part of the whole genre that The Clash helped launch was all about giving so called authorities the finger. Regardless I don't care what Rolling Stone says I care what we here in this forum have to say because we were the ones having our own conversation about what we would put as a top album of all time. I even moved it to a top 3, recognizing London Calling is in fact a great album and deserves the accolades. Speaking of accolades, since they apparently mean so much to you, I'll just drop this link and you can take the time to read it if you want to.

 

The last thing I'll say is in direct response to the last thing you said. Mainly because I think it's funny you say "normally...to each their own" and yet what follows immediately after? But. It always does doesn't it? I don't mean to offend you BUT. I'm sorry to say this BUT. Look if you're going to be a music snob just own it. There are a lot of music snobs out there and that's fine I guess. You guys can all jerk each other off about iconic this and influential that. Whatever. But don't pretend that that's not what you're doing because no one likes it when people pretend to be something they aren't. I like Maroon 5, I like The Clash, I think Songs About Jane is an excellent album just like I think London Calling is an excellent album. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you do, well I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel about it and it's not going to change.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

First of all, before anything else, I have to say this right here is exactly why I don't usually talk about music with people. They get obnoxiously snobbish and lecture you as soon as you an express an opinion that somehow offends their own personal taste in music. You disappointed me here Jif. As far as The Clash being iconic, London Calling being an amazing album, etc no one including me would argue differently. I love The Clash they're great. I listened to them a lot as a teenager. I think it's ironic though that you're making an appeal to authority by quoting Rolling Stone magazine when part of the whole genre that The Clash helped launch was all about giving so called authorities the finger. Regardless I don't care what Rolling Stone says I care what we here in this forum have to say because we were the ones having our own conversation about what we would put as a top album of all time. I even moved it to a top 3, recognizing London Calling is in fact a great album and deserves the accolades. Speaking of accolades, since they apparently mean so much to you, I'll just drop this link and you can take the time to read it if you want to.

 

The last thing I'll say is in direct response to the last thing you said. Mainly because I think it's funny you say "normally...to each their own" and yet what follows immediately after? But. It always does doesn't it? I don't mean to offend you BUT. I'm sorry to say this BUT. Look if you're going to be a music snob just own it. There are a lot of music snobs out there and that's fine I guess. You guys can all jerk each other off about iconic this and influential that. Whatever. But don't pretend that that's not what you're doing because no one likes it when people pretend to be something they aren't. I like Maroon 5, I like The Clash, I think Songs About Jane is an excellent album just like I think London Calling is an excellent album. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you do, well I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel about it and it's not going to change.

omg dude, this is why I posted a funny gif disagreeing with you because I wanted to avoid this because, yes, I do think to each their own.  So, calm your t!ts and let me remind you, that you asked me to explain.  So dont give me this music snob bull sh*t because you didnt like my response.  To consider Maroon 5 great at anything is preposterous and insulting, that's my opinion.  If you're opinion is they're great, awesome.  I dont care but I disagree and now you know why and again, you wanted to know why.  ❤️ your guys out still and respect your principles as usual 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

omg dude, this is why I posted a funny gif disagreeing with you because I wanted to avoid this because, yes, I do think to each their own.  So, calm your t!ts and let me remind you, that you asked me to explain.  So dont give me this music snob bull sh*t because you didnt like my response.  To consider Maroon 5 great at anything is preposterous and insulting, that's my opinion.  If you're opinion is they're great, awesome.  I dont care but I disagree and now you know why and again, you wanted to know why.  ❤️ your guys out still and respect your principles as usual 

 

Sorry but no, that is definitely music snob attitude man. I asked you if the reason you disagree is because you dislike Maroon 5 which is a perfectly fine and valid reason for disagreeing. If you just said yeah I don't like Maroon 5 that would just be it. I'd be like oh ok that's fine. But you're putting them down and continue to do so. It's just unnecessary. I don't know how you can say that Maroon 5 being great at anything is "preposterous and insulting" in the same post you say you're not being a music snob with a straight face. Like really man it's cool if you don't like them. Not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok. You don't have to insult them and act like they're not a big act though. It's the kind of attitude that makes people like me not even want to talk about music because people get so fanatical about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

Sorry but no, that is definitely music snob attitude man. I asked you if the reason you disagree is because you dislike Maroon 5 which is a perfectly fine and valid reason for disagreeing. If you just said yeah I don't like Maroon 5 that would just be it. I'd be like oh ok that's fine. But you're putting them down and continue to do so. It's just unnecessary. I don't know how you can say that Maroon 5 being great at anything is "preposterous and insulting" in the same post you say you're not being a music snob with a straight face. Like really man it's cool if you don't like them. Not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok. You don't have to insult them and act like they're not a big act though. It's the kind of attitude that makes people like me not even want to talk about music because people get so fanatical about it. 

Here's the thing, Nolder, my sweet sweet friend.  You dont get to decided what type of answers you receive from the person you're asking the questions to, you dont get to shape my opinion to suit yours.  If you werent prepared to hear what I had to say about Maroon 5, you should have taken the gif with a man emphatically saying no with a stink look on his face provided by a jokey character like Borat as a simple way of me sharing my disagreement and displeasure with your opinion.   That's the beauty of this, I'm allowed to emphatically disagree with your take just as much as you're allowed to jam out to sweet melodies of Maroon 5.  I'm allowed to say that Maroon 5 sucks donkey dick, just as much as your allowed to say that Songs w/ Jane is a greatest album of all time.  I disagree, I think they're terrible and it's insulting to consider them among the greats in music history.  That's my opinion and guess what?, its just as valid as yours, no matter how you received it.  

You think I'm a music snob?  Cool.  I honestly dont give a **** because I think you're being a snob for defending a sh*tty band and playing the victim card over a conversation about a band.  See, my perspective is, people like you are the reason why often times folks dont like to talk about music because they cant handle criticism of something they enjoy.  

My favorite band of all time is the Beastie Boys.  I've heard them called everything from sell outs, trash, terrible, cant play to wannabe hip-hops artists w/ no talent, none of which are true IMO but you know what?  I dont give a ****.  They're my favorite band, ever and no type of disagreement, insults, or any type of negative feedback will never ever change my opinion and I certainly wont look down on someone for sharing their disagreement, no matter how colorful.  Quite frankly, I coudlnt give 2 sh*ts what someone else has to say about my favorite band.  I laugh at it and proceed to play my favorite BBoys songs and enjoy my favorite band.  And you should too.

p.s. - I hate Rise Against more than I hate Maroon 5.  ❤️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Here's the thing, Nolder, my sweet sweet friend.  You dont get to decided what type of answers you receive from the person you're asking the questions to, you dont get to shape my opinion to suit yours.  If you werent prepared to hear what I had to say about Maroon 5, you should have taken the gif with a man emphatically saying no with a stink look on his face provided by a jokey character like Borat as a simple way of me sharing my disagreement and displeasure with your opinion.   That's the beauty of this, I'm allowed to emphatically disagree with your take just as much as you're allowed to jam out to sweet melodies of Maroon 5.  I'm allowed to say that Maroon 5 sucks donkey dick, just as much as your allowed to say that Songs w/ Jane is a greatest album of all time.  I disagree, I think they're terrible and it's insulting to consider them among the greats in music history.  That's my opinion and guess what?, its just as valid as yours, no matter how you received it.  

You think I'm a music snob?  Cool.  I honestly dont give a **** because I think you're being a snob for defending a sh*tty band and playing the victim card over a conversation about a band.  See, my perspective is, people like you are the reason why often times folks dont like to talk about music because they cant handle criticism of something they enjoy.  

I think you're vastly missing the point here. I'm not trying to infringe on your free speech here nor do I hold any real grudge against your opinion. Again, that's all personal taste and very subjective. What I'm taking offense to is the delivery of that opinion. And first, to be clear, I asked you your opinion because I wasn't sure what the Gif was trying to convey. Maybe you liked Maroon 5 but just didn't think Songs About Jane was a good album, how do I know? So I asked. But you couldn't be satisfied with just answering the question like a normal person. You had to take it further. To use a hyperbolic example it's like we are at a dinner party and our host serves us liver for dinner. And you don't like liver so you are just sitting there not eating and the host says "What's wrong Jif, you don't like liver?" Instead of just saying yeah I don't like liver you went on a tirade about how liver is the worst meal there is and how thinking anyone could possibly like liver is "preposterous and insulting". Do you see the difference now? Just be a normal person there is no need to put down what other people like just because they ask you if you like it too or not.

 

I think you are being a music snob right now yes. I hope you're not like this all the time though. How am I playing the victim? Again, back to my dinner example, you've gone far beyond the scope of what I was asking not to answer my question but to put down and insult Maroon 5 and, let's be honest here, anyone who likes them. It is what you're trying to say without saying it. Also you're not "criticizing" you're insulting. You're just saying they're bad. What makes them bad? They're sh*tty right? Can you tell me why they are a sh*tty band?

 

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

My favorite band of all time is the Beastie Boys.  I've heard them called everything from sell outs, trash, terrible, cant play to wannabe hip-hops artists w/ no talent, none of which are true IMO but you know what?  I dont give a ****.  They're my favorite band, ever and no type of disagreement, insults, or any type of negative feedback will never ever change my opinion and I certainly wont look down on someone for sharing their disagreement, no matter how colorful.  Quite frankly, I coudlnt give 2 sh*ts what someone else has to say about my favorite band.  I laugh at it and proceed to play my favorite BBoys songs and enjoy my favorite band.  And you should too.

p.s. - I hate Rise Against more than I hate Maroon 5.  ❤️ 

I like Beastie Boys they're alright. Not sure why people would say all those things. Sounds like a bunch of other music snobs being jerks about something they don't like. That's what I'm trying to say. Why be like that?

 

And again, it's cool if you don't like something I like. That's not what's bugging me here. Neither Rise Against or Maroon 5 are my favorite bands and we both like The Clash, Beastie Boys, and Minor Threat. We can share the things we like and when it's something we don't like I don't see why we, or more specifically you, can't just be like "yeah man I don't like that" without going on some rant about how it's the worst thing ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long has it been since we played Mafia?

Maybe we just need something else stupid to argue about lol.

 

Edit: to be clear man I'm not upset or mad I'm just like why you gotta be like that? That's all.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checking out Train Does Led Zeppelin II (2016) where they cover the entire album live. I heard them cover some Zeppelin 10+ years ago and it was pretty good. So far this is a cool listen on a Friday morning.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...