What are u listening to right now?

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Another of my personal top 5 bands.

It's a Pogues day

I saw this great quote somewhere and it rings true for me:

I don't always listen to the Pogues, but when I do, so do my neighbors. 

I always found Celtic type music to be so fun.  Love a lot of Irish punk.  I mean, my favs, is definitely Stiff Little Fingers who dont have a typical Celtic sound but you know in their lyrics, where they are from very quickly.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Flogging Molly's one of my favorites too.

Drop Kick kind of wore off on me.  I used to like them, but now I find myself skipping their songs when I'm streaming. 

Has a couple great lines:

"Ah sure he picked the wrong man!" gives me goosebumps every time.  Pumps me up.

• Upvote 2

I like Punk a lot but, and I'm sure I'll take sh*t for this one lol, I like Emo/Pop Punk a lot more.

I think it's just the era I grew up in. Early 2000s vs the 80s.

A lot of my favorite bands were influenced by the original wave of punk but I didn't get to experience that as it was coming out only after the fact. To me that was a generation ago.

I think Sum 41 is the perfect example of putting bands into a certain box though.

Sure you get a lot of songs like In Too Deep

But you can also get a song like The Bitter End from the same guys which I think trends a lot closer to say Metal than anything else.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/pop-punk-and-then-sum-6398321

The pop-punk label has stuck to Sum 41 like bubblegum to a Skechers sole, but lumping the band in with the mallcore crowd might also be a mistake. The group's overt metallic influences owe as much to Slayer and Judas Priest as they do to Green Day. In fact, Baksh and company refuse to use the p word to describe their music anymore.

"We just call ourselves rock," he grumbles. "It's easier to say than punk, especially around all these ****in' kids that think they know what punk is. Something that was based on not having any rules has probably one of the strictest ******* rule books in the world. The whole thing's kinda getting ridiculous to me. It's all image. You don't love music if you own more posters than CDs."

11 hours ago, Nolder said:

I think Sum 41 is the perfect example of putting bands into a certain box though.

Sure you get a lot of songs like In Too Deep

But you can also get a song like The Bitter End from the same guys which I think trends a lot closer to say Metal than anything else.

Interesting, thanks for posting.  I hate all the stuff you just posted with a passion.  So bad, hurts my ears but this last one here you're right, definitely more metal, pretty decent actually very surprised that's Sum 41, who I would typically rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than listen to.

8 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Green Day definitely evolved into a really good band.  They were always a fun listen to, but as I got older their early stuff doesn’t resonate with me anymore.  

I wore that sh*t out in the early 90’s tho. 

I still prefer their early stuff that said, you're right, they've truly evolved into a very good band.  I saw them recently and they absolutely rocked it  Professionals, for sure.   Guys who have absolutely mastered what they do, it was like I was watching punk meets stadium rock 80's stuff with like crowd participation and pyro tech, etc.  Kind of like a Weezer show.  vs. when I saw them in like 94 and it was pure punk mosh pit style for the entire show. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One of the few emo bands I like. 
His voice is goose bump inducing.

Yeah. Obviously a lot of people are put off by the emo look/lyrics but I think they are missing out on a great rock band.

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Green Day definitely evolved into a really good band.  They were always a fun listen to, but as I got older their early stuff doesn’t resonate with me anymore.  

I wore that sh*t out in the early 90’s tho. 

A lot of the stuff I just posted I don't listen to as much anymore so like you I kind of outgrew it.

Still very fond of it all though.

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, thanks for posting.  I hate all the stuff you just posted with a passion.  So bad, hurts my ears but this last one here you're right, definitely more metal, pretty decent actually very surprised that's Sum 41, who I would typically rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than listen to.

Yeah I figured heh. It's alright. You are not the first person to dislike all my emo and pop punk bands.

Yeah I was surprised too when I was first listening to Sum 41 many years ago going through their discography and I started hitting into a few heavier songs. Good sh*t IMHO.