What are u listening to right now?

The Gun Of Bavaria

I just found this, not sure how I've never seen it before but this is sooo cool.  I love Sublime.  Nobody did/does this genre better.  Bradley Nowell was just an absolutely ridiculous talent and this video is sad but brilliant in the same way.  Just him and acoustic making songs up as he goes.  Dude could play too, his guitar skills were legit but no doubt, he could write songs for days about anything. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They released a cd with a lot of these songs on them.  I don't remember the timeline, but it was probably when sales started dropping on the self titled album.  

I was introduced to the band when Date Rape came out.  Their evolution in such a short time was pretty remarkable.

Shame what happened to him, but at least he left his family a massive hit record.  That was back when people were still buying cds too, so hopefully his kid was taken care of.  

I was a huge Sublime fan and kind of forgot about them.  Thanks for the reminder! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They released a cd with a lot of these songs on them.  I don't remember the timeline, but it was probably when sales started dropping on the self titled album.  

I was introduced to the band when Date Rape came out.  Their evolution in such a short time was pretty remarkable.

Shame what happened to him, but at least he left his family a massive hit record.  That was back when people were still buying cds too, so hopefully his kid was taken care of.  

I was a huge Sublime fan and kind of forgot about them.  Thanks for the reminder! 

Funny, I discovered them at a Vans Warp Tour featuring NOFX and Pennywise w/ my older brother.  Loved them, thought they were great and bought that original album and played it out like a mofo.  I can remember introducing it to my friends, and most laughed at it and thought it was silly.  Fast forward 3 years,  What I Got and Santeria come out and everyone loves Sublime!  lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Funny, I discovered them at a Vans Warp Tour featuring NOFX and Pennywise w/ my older brother.  Loved them, thought they were great and bought that original album and played it out like a mofo.  I can remember introducing it to my friends, and most laughed at it and thought it was silly.  Fast forward 3 years,  What I Got and Santeria come out and everyone loves Sublime!  lol

I first heard them on a college radio station in Austin TX in the early 90's.

KNAACK 107.7 (can't believe I remember that).  They always played underground/unknown stuff.  

I think we saw them at South by Southwest too, but couldn't be 100% sure.  My acid/coke days.  

Back then we saw dozens of bands before they were "known" only to realize it later.  I haven't been there since 1994, but Austin had an incredible music scene.  

Edit- you just posted a video of them in Austin.  lol 

• Sympathy 1

Grotesque Impalement

Song by Dying Fetus

I am lost, far from the cross you stand before
Filled with lust, we are all filled with lust

Impale your flesh, draped in darkness
Your guts explode and life has ceased behind your eyes

Impalement
And before
Live no more
Live no more

Overcome by fever, malevolent disgrace
Wretching with repulsion, bleeding from the eyes
Fester with redemption, your blood begins to clot
Clogging the corpulses in your mind
(Ignoring the pretension, wallow in the rot)

Seven lives have come and gone
The first and the last, and what are we even here for?
Some twisted, mindless game?
Or is God just playing tricks upon my brain?

The birth of death begins
With your life it ends
My world emmersed in hate
Destroy what I create

Defecate, choke on my sh*t
Urinate, drown in my piss
Godless, hater of the world
Your mind, dwells on the absurd

As I contemplate your horrible demise
Blood streams down your face, drained, drained of life

I am lost, far from the cross you stand before
Filled with lust, we are all filled with lust

Impalement
And before
Live no more
Live no more

Overcome by fever, malevolent disgrace
Wretching with repulsion, bleeding from the eyes
Fester with redemption, your blood begins to clot

The birth of death begins
With your life it ends
My world emmersed in hate
Destroy what I create

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Cliff is one of the most influential and underrated artists from that era.

Agreed.  He was really the first cross-over reggae star, introducing reggae to US and British audiences in the late 60s/early 70s.  Paving the way for Bob Marley.  I read somewhere that Marley's first US tour was originally planned for Cliff, but he he agreed to film The Harder They Come, so the promotion that was set up for Cliff became Marley's breakout tour.

When we were dating, I took my wife to see Jimmy at Westbury Music Fair probably 88 or 89..  I loved the show.  She had never listened to reggae before and was bored silly.  She still talks about that reggae guy I made her sit through, doesn't even know his name.  The woman has no taste -- which probably explains why we have been together 30+ years.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  He was really the first cross-over reggae star, introducing reggae to US and British audiences in the late 60s/early 70s.  Paving the way for Bob Marley.  I read somewhere that Marley's first US tour was originally planned for Cliff, but he he agreed to film The Harder They Come, so the promotion that was set up for Cliff became Marley's breakout tour.

When we were dating, I took my wife to see Jimmy at Westbury Music Fair probably 88 or 89..  I loved the show.  She had never listened to reggae before and was bored silly.  She still talks about that reggae guy I made her sit through, doesn't even know his name.  The woman has no taste -- which probably explains why we have been together 30+ years.

Back in the 70s, I remember going into NYC to see The Harder They Come with my friends. (Probably read about it in The Voice.) Back then, I don't think we had the intellect and/or experience to fully grasp that film.  Or understand most of the dialog through those thick, Jamaican accents.  lol

I need to watch it again soon.  One of the greatest soundtracks ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, munchmemory said:

Back in the 70s, I remember going into NYC to see The Harder They Come with my friends. (Probably read about it in The Voice.) Back then, I don't think we had the intellect and/or experience to fully grasp that film.  Or understand most of the dialog through those thick, Jamaican accents.  lol

I need to watch it again soon.  One of the greatest soundtracks ever.

The scene where he walks into the studio and see Toots and the Maytals performing and that look he gives as the light turns on that he wants to make music.  And seeing Toots that young is sooo cool.  Prob my fav. Reggae band.

• Sympathy 2