What are u listening to right now?

On 10/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Anyone familiar with "The Lemon Twigs"?

@JiFapono I'd like your opinion on this one.

Sorry, I must have missed this but yes, I'm familiar.  They popped up once when I was on an Arctic Monkey's kick, so I did some exploring.  I found the entire "Got to School" album as a very interesting well done concept and overall appreciate their music, it's very cool but I cant say there is like a particular song that that has caught me, or kept me coming back.  More just, oh yeah, these guys are cool if I come across them through a mix or station. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Sorry, I must have missed this but yes, I'm familiar.  They popped up once when I was on an Arctic Monkey's kick, so I did some exploring.  I found the entire "Got to School" album as a very interesting well done concept and overall appreciate their music, it's very cool but I cant say there is like a particular song that that has caught me, or kept me coming back.  More just, oh yeah, these guys are cool if I come across them through a mix or station. 

I agree completely (though I do like the version of the one I sent).  I just think they're a talented band that I'm keeping my eye on.  Was wondering if you were aware of them.  Can't say I'm surprised that you are.  :)

EDIT: Not sure based on your response if you listened to the song I sent.  If nothing else, it's worth it to watch from 3:14 until the end.  I didn't realize how good Brian (the guitarist) was.

EDIT 2: Have you seen them perform?  This is from 2016 so I don't know if they do this type of stuff anymore but I got a kick out of it.  Clearly Michael (the guy dressed in green) was a fan of The Who.

Him on drums ("These Words"):

Him on guitar ("The Queen Of My School"):

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Glad you dug it.  That's the great Sam Jones, who has played with a bunch of legendary cats.   Apropos of the discussion above with @More Cowbell on Niels, you might enjoy this one:

Honestly, I have never been a big Sam Jones fan. For the type of playing he does,  I much rather listen to guys like Brown or Gomez. I understand he has a unique  style but it's  not something I really would go out of my way to listen to. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree completely (though I do like the version of the one I sent).  I just think they're a talented band that I'm keeping my eye on.  Was wondering if you were aware of them.  Can't say I'm surprised that you are.  :)

EDIT: Not sure based on your response if you listened to the song I sent.  If nothing else, it's worth it to watch from 3:14 until the end.  I didn't realize how good Brian (the guitarist) was.

I did listen, the lyrics and vocals off the rip were a bit hard to handle but the rhythm sections was fantastic and I enjoyed the solo, though maybe not my favorite tone on that particular guitar. 

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I have never been a big Sam Jones fan. For the type of playing he does,  I much rather listen to guys like Brown or Gomez. I understand he has a unique  style but it's  not something I really would go out of my way to listen to. 

Heathen.  lol  Of course.  We all have our preferences.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Glad you dug it.  That's the great Sam Jones, who has played with a bunch of legendary cats.   Apropos of the discussion above with @More Cowbell on Niels, you might enjoy this one:

Wow....  Listening right now at the office.  Great stuff. Did not know a lot about Same Jones other than his name.

He is clearly holding his own here.

In my travels and experience, unbeknown to many, these upright players all have been classically trained.

You start with the bow, start with the Simandl Book or Nanny Book and that's how you get started.

So their adeptness should come as no surprise.

• Sympathy 1

On 9/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, JiFapono said:

They're a little too out there for my taste and a hard listen and I like out there.  For some they just doesnt catch my ear though I do appreciate what they do and think they do it very well if that's a sound you can listen to often, just not for me.

I like out there, but only rate them as a medium in terms of weirdness.  I only asked because I had extra tickets to the NYC show and was going to give them to someone on here if they were a big fan. 

The show was amazing, but boy do they pack them in like sardines at Terminal 5.  I haven’t been that packed since I saw the Smashing Pumpkins at the Metropol in Pittsburgh in 99.  Was quite the experience.  

19 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Saw The Killers at MSG on Saturday. Got lucky to snag some last minute pit tickets for face value. It was already an absolutely fantastic show, and the in the encore, a special guest showed up.  Doubt I’ll ever forget it!

71F208E3-39A9-4D97-83A0-13698F88F229.jpeg

00E2C355-8CEA-459F-9922-A9F267BDAD03.jpeg

Nice special guest.  What tune did they do?

5 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Saw The Killers at MSG on Saturday. Got lucky to snag some last minute pit tickets for face value. It was already an absolutely fantastic show, and the in the encore, a special guest showed up.  Doubt I’ll ever forget it!

71F208E3-39A9-4D97-83A0-13698F88F229.jpeg

00E2C355-8CEA-459F-9922-A9F267BDAD03.jpeg

My wife wanted to go but we already had tickets for Sunny Day Real Estate in Philly, and I didn’t feel like making the 2 hour drive to NYC two days in a row.  We saw them at Lollapalooza in 2009 though, and they put on a great show.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The great Ron Carter.  BTW... your post of Sam Jones and NHOP... I have listened to the album 3 times already. Just fantastic.

That makes me so happy.  Especially when someone with your training and knowledge comments this favorably, makes me feel that I'm somewhat on the right track.

If tou are a big jam band fan and love the allmans and such you need to familiarize yourself with GOOSE

the dead passed the baton to phish and phosh passes it to goose. This is it the next generations jam giants. The guitarist is a mini trey. Great voice and unbelievable touch on guitar might be the top 10 guitarist in the world imo

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

If tou are a big jam band fan and love the allmans and such you need to familiarize yourself with GOOSE

the dead passed the baton to phish and phosh passes it to goose. This is it the next generations jam giants. The guitarist is a mini trey. Great voice and unbelievable touch on guitar might be the top 10 guitarist in the world imo

Cool, I'll check them out.  I had heard of them but hadn't really listened to them very much.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:03 PM, HighPitch said:

Very cool, Goose is rad.

I consider jam bands my guilty pleasure but I got say, right now, with the current line-up, Widespread Panic is the cream of the crop IMO.  Jimmy Herring melts faces and the Duane Trucks is ridiculous on the drums, best they've ever been and these dudes havent stopped for 30 straight years.

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Very cool, Goose is rad.

I consider jam bands my guilty pleasure but I got say, right now, with the current line-up, Widespread Panic is the cream of the crop IMO.  Jimmy Herring melts faces and the Duane Trucks is ridiculous on the drums, best they've ever been and these dudes havent stopped for 30 straight years.

I like WP but i wouldnt say im a spread head. Seen em a bunch of times. Saw herring here at skippers. Very nice

But id take em over any pop band thats for sure. Except brittany spears yumm

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Very cool, Goose is rad.

I'll have to check this out.  I've seen Jimmy Herring play live with Phil Lesh (and others).  What a terrific guitarist.