2 CATO JUNE

3 TULLY BANTA-CAIN

4 LONDON FLETCHER

5 JAMES DARLING

CORNER BACK

1 NATE CLEMENTS

2 NICK HARPER

I JUST HOPE WE LAND 2 OR 3 PLAYERS FROM THIS LIST ::GoJets:

There are VERY few players from this list I would like to see the Jets go after. Most of them are lousy (e.g. Toefield), over-priced for our needs at the position (e.g. Stallworth), or simply don't fit in a 3-4 defense (e.g. June).

The only ones who might make even a LITTLE sense (either for outstanding play OR likely reasonable price to acquire) would be the ones in bold:

RUNNING BACK

1 DOMINIC RHODES (couldn't sniff at 4.0ypc with Manning, two superstar WR's, and two pro-bowl OLmen)

2 CHRIS BROWN (has power, speed, and talent but is way too injury-prone. If cheap enough, he's worth a look)

3 LABRANDON TOEFIELD (is awful. Couldn't perform behind one of the NFL's best OL's)

4 JUSTIN GRIFFITH (I like Griffith. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none, but he's versatile & clearly the Atlanta RB's have had success running behind him.)

5 KENNY WATSON (hard to get a read on. He hasn't done much. Kind of the norm rather than the exeption of Penn State RB's. I'd rather take a flyer on a rookie.)

If Ahman Green can be had reasonably, I wouldn't mind him at all for a couple of seasons & then release him.

WIDE RECEIVER

1 KEVIN CURTIS (going to get #2-starter money from someone with such slim pickings at WR in FA this year & with so many teams having so much cap room)

2 DONTE STALLWORTH (makes no sense. He'll cost mega-bucks & we need a 3rd WR, not a starter)

3 DREW BENNETT (same thing. He will command starter money.)

4 PATRICK CRAYTON (is a restricted free-agent & is not worth surrendering a draft pick to Dallas)

5 KELLEY WASHINGTON (is a total bust. Has the size, has the speed. He just stinks on ice. I think the Bengals know how to coach WR's and they couldn't get anything out of him with Carson Palmer throwing the ball.)

6. ERNEST WILFORD (is a restricted free-agent & is not worth surrendering a draft pick to Jacksonville. Like all Jax's receivers, he has stone hands.)

For a #3-4 WR who would command #3-4 WR money, I'd look at Shaun McDonald over any of these guys.

TIGHT END

1 DANIEL GRAHAM [ THIS IS MUST ] (I don't know about a "must" but I like him)

2 ERIC JOHNSON (fragile & not much of a blocker. Basically he's a slightly less durable Chris Baker whose QB threw him the ball a lot one season (since there were no receivers on the team anyway). With holes all over their team, SF burned the #6 pick in the country to upgrade from him.)

3 REGGIE KELLY (never really done much since Atlanta surrendered a first-rounder to draft him way back when)

4 BEN UTECHT (is a restricted free-agent & is not worth surrendering a draft pick to Indy)

OT

1 LEONARD DAVIS (would be an upgrade at RT. But is he worth outbidding the likely $40M+ contact he's going to get from someone?)

2 ANTHONY CLEMENT (is at least cheap. I suppose it would provide some continuity on the line. His good points end there.)

GUARD

1 ERIC STEINBACH (is ok. Not worth anywhere near the money he's going to get. Is no road-grader in the run-game.)

2 MIKE GANLEY (should be a backup left tackle. Hardly the mauler we need at OG.)

These two wouldn't crack the top-2 on my list with Kris Dielman & Derrick Dockery available.

DT

ROBARIE SMITH (would play never play NT in the 3-4; he'd be a DE. Tennessee's run defense was as bad as ours, and that's with Haynesworth playing next to him for most of the season. Basically, if a defensive lineman wasn't good enough for the Texans...pass.)

DE

1 JARRET JOHNSON (would never play DE on this team. He's a backup 3-4 OLB. May not be bad if we pick him up to play that role, but I've never seen him play ever.)

2 CHRIS KELSAY (isn't much of a run-stopper & isn't much of a pass-rusher (and that's with Schobel on the other side commanding double-teams on passing downs). Not sure where he'd fit in on a 3-4 defense.)

LINEBACKER

1 ADILUS THOMAS (is awesome)

2 CATO JUNE (is WAYYY too small unless we're converting him to strong safety, in which case he's too expensive for converting to a new position. We need another puny 225-230 LB like a hole in the head.)

3 TULLY BANTA-CAIN (should get a serious look from us. Familiar with the system & Mangini's familiar with him. Not the greatest, though, and I'm not convinced he'd be an upgrade from Hobson (who only finished his first year in the 3-4 and wasn't too bad). Not a great pass-rusher (that we need opposite BT) for a 3-4 OLB.)

4 LONDON FLETCHER (is going to be 32. If he's cheap enough, we should look at him. At least you know he's been in a similar scheme before.)

5 JAMES DARLING (is a special-teams player at best)

CORNER BACK

1 NATE CLEMENTS (I like, but he'll cost a fortune. If the cap space cleared up by releasing Barlow plus Barrett & McCareins would cover his salary, what's the problem?)

2 NICK HARPER (is an old man for a CB who needs a multi-million dollar signing bonus. Also he's a puny guy who gets injured every season.)

Archived