Right vs Left Tackle (for the X&O guys)

JerryK

Hi All,

Here in detroit some radio guys were crying about how a Left tackle is getting paid "Right Tackle Money".

Why is a Rt Tackle worth more? It is because he's protecting the throwing arm side of most QB's?

Is this somehow related to the fact that all my off-tackle running plays in Madden go to the right? (except for an up-the-gut slightly left play that never works).

Thanks,

Jerry

If this gets moved to the 101 forum, that's ok... sorry if this is clutter.

:P

Most QBs are right handed so their blind side is covered by the LT, thus they get paid more. Most RTs are better run blockers as most teams are predominantly right handed meaning they run more to the right side or strong side with the TE. As for your statement above, typically a RT will only be getting paid more than a LT if you have a left handed QB.

I'll add another point to what you said, if you are a right handed QB, when you come out from under center and move back in the pocket you are automatically facing right which is what makes teams more "right handed" in their running schemes. The handoff is more natural and sets up play action better.

Let's use the Jets for example. Chad doesn't have the best pocket presence in the world. He has a hard time avoiding the rush that he can see. The one coming from his blind side -- oh man. Pay the LT more and hope you solve the problem that way.

Hi All,

Here in detroit some radio guys were crying about how a Left tackle is getting paid "Right Tackle Money".

Why is a Rt Tackle worth more? It is because he's protecting the throwing arm side of most QB's?

Is this somehow related to the fact that all my off-tackle running plays in Madden go to the right? (except for an up-the-gut slightly left play that never works).

Thanks,

Jerry

If this gets moved to the 101 forum, that's ok... sorry if this is clutter.

I also think that when the Detroit radio guys were talking about a left tackle making right tackle money, they were probably referring to that being a positive and making the drafting of Joe Thomas easier because he could make big bucks and play either side because you have a low cost option at LT.

Archived