Pennington named starter for 2007

Untouchable

Jets | Pennington named starter for 2007 season

Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:19:08 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini has said QB Chad Pennington is the team's starting quarterback for the 2007 season heading into training camp. "Chad has done an outstanding job and he'll be the starter moving into camp," Mangini said.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He'll be the starter moving into camp"

Yeah, no sh#t. Doesnt make him the starter week 1 of the 2007 season, though. Misleading report there, Randy.

And why should Pennington get all the snaps with the #1 team in camp? We've seen what he can do with the #1 team, Clemens never got enough snaps with the #1 team last year. It should be 50/50.

What possible good will this statement do NOW?

What happened to the media silence? making no comment will push

Clemens harder in camp and give him the impetus he needs to speed up

his move into the starting slot.

I`d want Penny to start this season, but it would`nt hurt to make Kellen

think he might get a shot if he works his ass off.

Perhaps Mangini wants to blurt out something to stop them chasing our

rookies down the block come pre-season.

This does mean that Mangini expects Chad Pennington to be the starting QB for the JETS in 2007. Of course he said "going into camp" becuase anything can happen in camp and his whole thing about letting the best players play.

The fact still remains he does not think Kellen has proven himself to compete 50/50 for the starting job, it will need to be a come from behind victory now accoring to this report.

We are officially NOT having an open QB competition again it camp, it is once again Chads job to lose and Mangini has made the right decision.

This does mean that Mangini expects Chad Pennington to be the starting QB for the JETS in 2007. Of course he said "going into camp" becuase anything can happen in camp and his whole thing about letting the best players play.

The fact still remains he does not think Kellen has proven himself to compete 50/50 for the starting job, it will need to be a come from behind victory now accoring to this report.

We are officially NOT having an open QB competition again it camp, it is once again Chads job to lose and Mangini has made the right decision.

Sorry, but you are clueless.

Yeah, I'm sure we arent having an open QB competition again in camp, just like last year right, ecurb? :yawn:

Of course Chad was going to be the starter heading into camp, he was the starter the entire year last year and kellen didnt even play! Mangini is just stating the obvious and nothing more, despite what you want to believe ecurb.

Sorry, but you are clueless.

Yeah, I'm sure we arent having an open QB competition again in camp, just like last year right, ecurb? :yawn:

Of course Chad was going to be the starter heading into camp, he was the starter the entire year last year and kellen didnt even play! Mangini is just stating the obvious and nothing more, despite what you want to believe ecurb.

What is it you dont get about this, it means that Chad is our QB unless Clemens proves otherwise. Chad will get more snaps in order to hopefully decrease his INT's next season. Mangini is not saying Chad is only the starter in camp, but not the regular season. he is saying that Chad is the STARTING QB of the NYJ untill someone proves otherwise.

He would not hesitate to call this an open competition again if it was that, but its not. The job is Chad Penningtons, Kellen Clemens will be looking on from the sideline as a longshot.

"He'll be the starter moving into camp"

Yeah, no sh#t. Doesnt make him the starter week 1 of the 2007 season, though. Misleading report there, Randy.

And why should Pennington get all the snaps with the #1 team in camp? We've seen what he can do with the #1 team, Clemens never got enough snaps with the #1 team last year. It should be 50/50.

Yes it does, thats exactly what it means. Why the hell would Mangini name a starting TC QB but claim thats not his starter for the season? He was just giving him more reps just becuase... that would be the worst coaching ever.

Mangini means by this that Chad is his guy for 2007 unless someone proves him wrong, but he is not going to waste snaps on a competition again, and will invest time into Chad moving foreward with him as the starter.

It will now be much tougher for Clemens to step up.

DAMN!!! I guess that means I won't be seeing the Jets in the Super Bowl...... again....(turn off sarcasm....now)

lol

This is very good for Chad, Coles, Cotch, and the offense. It will mean more time to get used to eachother and hopefully cut down on the things that lead to broken plays, bad runs, and INT's last season.

I cant stress how much it hurt our offense to have the QB competition last season, it really is just BAD for the offense to be running with multiple QB's in practice... Mangini did the right thing by picking a guy early. It will also cut out Kellens work for him, he now knows it will be tough way ahead of time so it wont come as a shock as it would have if Chad locked it up early in camp.

lol

This is very good for Chad, Coles, Cotch, and the offense. It will mean more time to get used to eachother and hopefully cut down on the things that lead to broken plays, bad runs, and INT's last season.

I cant stress how much it hurt our offense to have the QB competition last season, it really is just BAD for the offense to be running with multiple QB's in practice... Mangini did the right thing by picking a guy early. It will also cut out Kellens work for him, he now knows it will be tough way ahead of time so it wont come as a shock as it would have if Chad locked it up early in camp.

First of all, Mangini is not picking the season starters in February.

Every

Thats too bad, becuase he just id. There will be no open competiton now, we all know he is not shy to call it that and obviously will not be. Chad will get more reps and unless something HUGE happens to him health wise again or Kellen gets A LOT better, he will be the starter.

No open competiton with Mangini? He is going with the best QB, whether its Chad or Clemens. I hoping its Kellen.

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini has said QB Chad Pennington is the team's starting quarterback for the 2007 season heading into training camp. "Chad has done an outstanding job and he'll be the starter moving into camp," Mangini said.

the only way he isnt the starter is if he gets hurt (knock on wood)

Thats too bad, becuase he just id. There will be no open competiton now, we all know he is not shy to call it that and obviously will not be. Chad will get more reps and unless something HUGE happens to him health wise again or Kellen gets A LOT better, he will be the starter.

I'm with you on most of you what you say. Except i think a major reason Mangini did this was to light a fire under Kellen's butt, get him moving, piss him off a bit. Some players thrive with their backs against the wall, this way Gini may be able to see what kind of QB KC is. Is he the type to sit back and say, 'well chad has it again this year, i'll just hang out and try to get better'....or hopefully kc does all he can to de-thrown(spelling?) Chad.

Either way i think we will have good QB play next year, as you said ECurb, another year working together, no 4-way competition in TC this year. Out line will be much better, so we can run, teams won't know we are going to throw 60-70 percent of the time.

Regardless of starter, i'm looking forward to watching the Jet's O nextyear.

Anyone who think Clemens is more qualified to run the offense than Chad at this point is simply clueless.

Do any of you guys actually think that Kellen is ready to step in and run the complex/no huddle offense that Chad has proven he can run effectively?

Does Kellen have the smarts and leadership as of right now to make sure all the guys are lined up where they are supposed to be?

Does he have the awareness to check us out of bad plays and into good ones?

Kellen Clemens is not ready. We haven't seen much of him, but in the limited action I've seen him in he hasn't really impressed me at all. He had one good drive in the pre-season and that's it. One good drive against a group of third stringers.

Anyone who think Clemens is more qualified to run the offense than Chad at this point is simply clueless.

Do any of you guys actually think that Kellen is ready to step in and run the complex/no huddle offense that Chad has proven he can run effectively?

Does Kellen have the smarts and leadership as of right now to make sure all the guys are lined up where they are supposed to be?

Kellen Clemens is not ready. We haven't seen much of him, but in the limited action I've seen him in he hasn't really impressed me at all. He had one good drive in the pre-season and that's it. One good drive against a group of third stringers.

Clueless? that's funny cause that post sort of points out your lack of knowledge. I actually want Chad to start next year because I think he's our best chance to win. But saying you haven't seen kellen improve because of preseason that was what? 8 months ago? I didn't realize you traveled with the team to watch him practice, and warm up.

Pray tell, when will you give KC the go-ahead to play?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Typotux:

he will athe startin QB the key word over here is training camp. that means he will get the most reps with the first team on the first day. mangini can decide to change his status the second day if he wanted to

he will athe startin QB the key word over here is training camp. that means he will get the most reps with the first team on the first day. mangini can decide to change his status the second day if he wanted to

Yeah, no sh#t but dont tell the chadinettes that!

I love how ecurb reads the report that Mangini says "Pennington will be the starter heading into camp" and immediately comes to the conclusion that Mangini meant that for certain, Pennington will be the QB in 2007.

Completely clueless.

The odds are against Clemens starting in 2007 week 1, but it will be a competition in camp, MANGINI SAID SO IN HIS LAST PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER WE LOST TO THE PATRIOTS!

Yes, Pennington was awesome at running the Jets offense last year with the 25th ranked offense and putting up more turnovers (20) by himself than touchdowns (17)

Pennington is awesome!!!!!

Clemens deserves as many 1st team reps in training camp as Pennington, if not more because he has not gotten as many opportunities to play with the better talent around him in practice as Pennington has.

Some of you are funny.

I remember last year when Justin McCareins was a starting receiver "heading into camp".

This means nothing in regards to the regular season. I expect Pennington to start the season anyway, before either a poor record or poor QB play kickstarts the Clemens Era.

Mangini chooses his words very carefully. There is a reason he said "heading into training camp" & it was not a thoughtless add-on. What's he going to say, that going into training camp that neither has a leg up on the other?

He said exactly what he should say, and it is not breaking news of any kind. Chad was the QB in their last game and is under contract (a contract that provides very little cap relief for cutting him). Therefore unless Clemens beats him out in training camp he is still the QB.

Why is this shocking to anyone? What did anyone expect him to say? "Chad was our QB last year, was the starter I selected out of the three, but now I regret that decision. It was stupid b/c he is a noodle-armed deer in the headlights"?

Mangini is doing his saying-something-saying-nothing routine.

Yes, Pennington was awesome at running the Jets offense last year with the 25th ranked offense and putting up more turnovers (20) by himself than touchdowns (17)

Pennington is awesome!!!!!

Clemens deserves as many 1st team reps in training camp as Pennington, if not more because he has not gotten as many opportunities to play with the better talent around him in practice as Pennington has.

Chad played better than his numbers would indicate.

How many teams do you see running the no-huddle offense on a consistent basis? Only two come to mind, the Colts and Jets.

And why? Because they have QB's who are known as very smart, accurate, leaders on the football field with great awareness.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back, I'm not saying that Chad is as good as Peyton. But above the shoulders they are indentical.

Do I think that Clemens is ready to take over the reigns at QB and run this very complex offense? No, and that doesn't make me a Chad lover or a Clemens hater.

Chad is simply the most qualified QB on our roster at this point in time.

And unless Chad gets injured, I don't see Kellen unseating him for the starting QB job in '07.

What did anyone expect him to say? "Chad was our QB last year, was the starter I selected out of the three, but now I regret that decision. It was stupid b/c he is a noodle-armed deer in the headlights"?

Yes - he should say that - I'd like for him to tell the truth for once. It isn't like it's 4 days before a game and he's needs to hold out any info that would potentially hurt our game plan.

Above the shoulders I can pitch as good as Johan Santana........

We have a winner!!!!! POTW nomination

And thank you. Some here seem to think that everyone who'd like a change at QB hate Chad Pennington - he's a hard guy to hate with most of what he brings to the party.

Archived