Pennington named starter for 2007

Untouchable

Chad played better than his numbers would indicate.

Actually he probably played worse. Many easy INTs were dropped by DBs.

How many teams do you see running the no-huddle offense on a consistent basis? Only two come to mind, the Colts and Jets.

The Pats ran plenty of no huddle offense, as did many teams in the NFL. The no huddle offense was widely used throughout the league last year. The Jets did more motions and formation changes on offense than most teams, thats for sure.

And why? Because they have QB's who are known as very smart, accurate, leaders on the football field with great awareness.

Now, this is just ridiculous. The last thing Chad has is great awareness on the football field. He's accurate and a leader, but great awareness is not his strong suit, fairly avg in this aspect.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back, I'm not saying that Chad is as good as Peyton. But above the shoulders they are indentical.

No, they're definetly not. Peyton is the smartest QB in the NFL at reading defenses and making the correct audibles.

Do I think that Clemens is ready to take over the reigns at QB and run this very complex offense? No, and that doesn't make me a Chad lover or a Clemens hater.

He's had a whole year+ under the offense. Clemens scored higher on the wonderlic than Chad, and was rated as having the best smarts of any QB in last years draft by several nfl coaches - see the nypost Jaworski article for exact quotes.

Chad is simply the most qualified QB on our roster at this point in time.

We'll see about that.......but he's a 7 yr (going on 8 yr vet), he should be more "qualified", but Clemens will get his chance at some point in 2007, you can almost be assured of that.

And unless Chad gets injured, I don't see Kellen unseating him for the starting QB job in '07

Knowing Pennington, he will get injured and Clemens will take his place sooner than later.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad is the starting QB of the New York JETS

Chad will get the most reps in camp

Chad will most likely be the starter during the season for the JETS, unless Clemens makes HUGE improvements

Chad Pennington is the QB of the NYJ and is the face of this franchise, deal with it.

"He'll be the starter moving into camp"

Yeah, no sh#t. Doesnt make him the starter week 1 of the 2007 season, though. Misleading report there, Randy.

And why should Pennington get all the snaps with the #1 team in camp? We've seen what he can do with the #1 team, Clemens never got enough snaps with the #1 team last year. It should be 50/50.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary

Does Barton want the Jets to win?!

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,

As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -

Only the Play Offs, nothing more.

raven.jpg

So quoth the Raven.

barton, you just compared chad to Brady, and peyton. If he was as bad as you indicate shouldn't you be comparing him to Kitna, and Culpepper?

DB's dropped a bunch of INT's? is that only true for chad? or does that go for everyone else too?

barton, you just compared chad to Brady, and peyton. If he was as bad as you indicate shouldn't you be comparing him to Kitna, and Culpepper?

DB's dropped a bunch of INT's? is that only true for chad? or does that go for everyone else too?

I was responding to untouchables post where he compared chad to Peyton.

There is really no basis for saying Chad played better than his numbers indicated. He had more turnovers than touchdowns for facksake.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary

Does Barton want the Jets to win?!

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,

As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -

Only the Play Offs, nothing more.

raven.jpg

So quoth the Raven.

I want the Jets to win - A SUPERBOWL.

Thats why I cant wait until Pennington is outa here. We will never win a superbowl with him.

Thats why I cant wait until Pennington is outa here. We will never win a superbowl with him.

You know I just kid with you. Well, half-way. Being trigger happy isn't going to get us there more quickly. Rebuilding, remember? The season ain't no waste, even if we don't make the playoffs. Yep, I'm ready to defend that statement if necessary. If the Jets are mathematically eliminated on paper at some point, you'll see King Clemens, anyway.

Do you think the bears could have won with pennington instead of grossman? i think they'd have had a better shot at least, kept it much closer anyway. then again, the Bear D is quite a bit better than NYJ...so its not a fair comparison.

Do you think the bears could have won with pennington instead of grossman? i think they'd have had a better shot at least, kept it much closer anyway. then again, the Bear D is quite a bit better than NYJ...so its not a fair comparison.

It is absolutely a fair comparison. Chicago's big bad 'D' didn't save them, and I question if our 'D' would have fared much worse that day - if you're keeping to the game in question.

I'll put it this way for the Chad supporters:

As a Pats fan I'm very happy that Chad is the starting QB of the New York Jets.

Dammit Gainzo,your posts are so realistic!

The Chad lovers actually had me floating out of my chair away from my keyboard for a moment,you just yanked me back to level ground.

Seriously,this statement means nothing..of course Pennington is the starter going into camp..that doesn't mean he has the job won this year.

It is absolutely a fair comparison. Chicago's big bad 'D' didn't save them, and I question if our 'D' would have fared much worse that day - if you're keeping to the game in question.

The SB was a 5 point game when Rex threw that pass from the Colts 40 that was picked and run back for a TD.

I could see Pennington making the same throw.

1st of all, the bears play in the NFC, their road to a superbowl could not have been any easier in that cupcake jv league. Over here in the afc, we got real teams to go through, esp in our own division. So lets just focus on that.

But to answer your question, no the bears could not have won with Pennington instead of Grossman. According to the chadinettes, Grossman had what Chad needs (a deep threat in Berrian, and a running attack w/Jones & Benson), not to mention Penningtons floaters in chicago winds? It wouldnt be a pretty picture to say the least - you'd probably see a few boomerang back past the line of scrimmage and be ruled a backwards pass fumble.

Come to think of, that might be a good trick play......Pennington drops back, throws a deep ball 20 yards downfield to Coles, Pennington steps back another 10 yards, catches his own pass and then throws a dumpoff to Leon Washington so he can scamper for 60 yards!

Brilliant!

landing_blooper_img.jpg

The SB was a 5 point game when Rex threw that pass from the Colts 40 that was picked and run back for a TD.

I could see Pennington making the same throw.

And I can see Tomcat throwing one while sitting on him @ss in Miami. :rolleyes:

C'mon Gainzo, we all agree that Pennington is not perfect, but to compare him to Grossman is an insult.

And I can see Tomcat throwing one while sitting on him @ss in Miami. :rolleyes:

C'mon Gainzo, we all agree that Pennington is not perfect, but to compare him to Grossman is an insult.

I didn't compare him to Rex. I said that Pennington probably would have thrown the same pass.

Chad has some history with bad passes (Asante Samuel 2006 Playoffs).

Some posters here were trying to say that Chad could have done better in the SB than Rex. I don't buy that.

I didn't compare him to Rex. I said that Pennington probably would have thrown the same pass.

Chad has some history with bad passes (Asante Samuel 2006 Playoffs).

Some posters here were trying to say that Chad could have done better in the SB than Rex. I don't buy that.

The Bears D didn't save them, which was the key as we all knew. Even given that, a bad game from Grossman as opposed to a horrendous one and Manning is ringless. Does Chad do as badly as Grossman in THAT game? I'm not buying what you're selling, either. The Bears could have taken it and didn't. It was a breakdown on both sides of the ball, and one side plays a little better than they did, this conversation doesn't take place. Besides, it's because of Vinatieri that the Colts even got to PLAY the Bears. Manning was the worst stinky chit imaginable vs. the Ravens, talking about your bad games.

EDIT: We beat you at home this year, remember? Yeah, yeah, PO's I know, but Brady sat at home SB weekend, did he not?

The Bears D didn't save them, which was the key as we all knew. Even given that, a bad game from Grossman as opposed to a horrendous one and Manning is ringless. Does Chad do as badly as Grossman in THAT game? I'm not buying what you're selling, either. The Bears could have taken it and didn't. It was a breakdown on both sides of the ball, and one side plays a little better than they did, this conversation doesn't take place. Besides, it's because of Vinatieri that the Colts even got to PLAY the Bears. Manning was the worst stinky chit imaginable vs. the Ravens, talking about your bad games.

EDIT: We beat you at home this year, remember? Yeah, yeah, PO's I know, but Brady sat at home SB weekend, did he not?

We agree to disagree on the SB thing. That's cool.

Yep, you did beat us at home. We beat you at Giant Stadium and at Foxboro when it counted. What was your point again?

We agree to disagree on the SB thing. That's cool.

Yep, you did beat us at home. We beat you at Giant Stadium and at Foxboro when it counted. What was your point again?

Yeah, you beat us, but I said 'PO's, I know..." And Watermelon Head advanced for all that. Your point again? :)

Yeah, you beat us, but I said 'PO's, I know..." And Watermelon Head advanced for all that. Your point again? :)

I just got the 'PO's thing. My brain told me Purchase Order, not Playoffs (that's a story for another day!).

Brady may have been home for the Super Bowl but at least he has participated in the AFC Championship 4 times in his career :pats::P

:pats::P

Hey, you said it, not me, my friend. Sniffle, snort. :)

P.S.: I'll be the first to tell you that the Dolphins are the true pukes of the AFCE for Jets fans worth their salt (Shula and the Mud Bowl, plus the SB III Shula connection before that). Patriots edge the Bills by a small margin. I piss on the the Colts from force of habit (SB III, being in our division previous, again the Shula connection, and Peyton "Don't Touch Me!" Manning). Hate, hate, hate, a legacy of hate! Ah, I feel so much better now.

I love how Barton and others sit here and bash Chad, and then tommrow you will go otu and praise Mangini...

Mangini used to gameplan against Chad, he most likely already saw more film of Chad then Herm had by the time he was our coach.

Yet you have the nerve to sit here and bash Chad like he is this guy that could never get it done for us...

Do you really think Mangini is that stupid to invest YEARS into a QB that wont bring him ****??? He would have thrown Clemens in or gotten at least a QB that was better than Chad, becuase accoring to you Barton,124 and others its not too hard to find one...

Mangini wants Chad Pennington to be his QB, he knows him better than any of us and obviously trusts him much more than some of you to bring him the big win.

If you think he is playing Chad merely to get Clemens ready and has no intention of going deep into the playoffs you are a complete moron and should really think before you question Mangini's heart and desire to win like that.

I love how Barton and others sit here and bash Chad, and then tommrow you will go otu and praise Mangini...

Mangini used to gameplan against Chad, he most likely already saw more film of Chad then Herm had by the time he was our coach.

Yet you have the nerve to sit here and bash Chad like he is this guy that could never get it done for us...

Do you really think Mangini is that stupid to invest YEARS into a QB that wont bring him ****??? He would have thrown Clemens in or gotten at least a QB that was better than Chad, becuase accoring to you Barton,124 and others its not too hard to find one...

Mangini wants Chad Pennington to be his QB, he knows him better than any of us and obviously trusts him much more than some of you to bring him the big win.

If you think he is playing Chad merely to get Clemens ready and has no intention of going deep into the playoffs you are a complete moron and should really think before you question Mangini's heart and desire to win like that.

You are clueless. Thats exactly what Mangini is doing.

You seem to forget that Mangini and Schott drafted Clemens - he is their guy.

BTW exact quote from the NYPOST

"Chad did an outstanding job for us as the starter and he is the starter," Mangini said.

"Kellen has a better understanding of what it takes to be a starter in the NFL after spending a year in the system.

"As with every position we have, each week you have an opportunity to move forward and each year you have an opportunity to move forward. That is going to take a lot of hard work.

"Chad has done an outstanding job and he'll be the starter going into camp."

Mangini is choosing his words.......

Pretty safe to say that Mangini is not committed to Chad being his starter week 1 2007. He's saying - and only saying - that Pennington is his starter going into camp. Do you understand that, "going into camp" part, ecurb? That does not mean he'll be the starter week 1.

If you think thats what he means, you are trying to believe something that isnt there, and being completely blind to the truth - which is Clemens will have a chance in training camp to be the #1 QB and that Pennington is no lock to be the opening day starter.

You are clueless. Thats exactly what Mangini is doing.

You seem to forget that Mangini and Schott drafted Clemens - he is their guy.

BTW exact quote from the NYPOST

Mangini is choosing his words.......

Pretty safe to say that Mangini is not committed to Chad being his starter week 1 2007. He's saying - and only saying - that Pennington is his starter going into camp. Do you understand that, "going into camp" part, ecurb? That does not mean he'll be the starter week 1.

If you think thats what he means, you are trying to believe something that isnt there, and being completely blind to the truth - which is Clemens will have a chance in training camp to be the #1 QB and that Pennington is no lock to be the opening day starter.

Your clueless, you try to make it out like Chad WONT be the starter going into week 1. You fail to realize that Chad has the job pretty much locked up and Kellen would have to outperform him with the 2nd team and less reps.

I know everyone has a shot at every position but this pretty much makes it Chads job to lose, dont be silly and make it out like he isnt the favorite to be starter in week 1, and dont think it will be 50/50 at camp, Chad is the starter and will get most of the reps.

It's not worth fighting the Pennington lovers Barton. They are so blinded by the 2002 campaign that it just makes me and I'm sure you as well, sad.

Let them sit here and praise PennyBoyWonder for another 9-7 or 10-6 season next year and a playoff game or possibly a playoff win and a 2nd round exit. No matter, once again Chad will come up short when it matters most and we'll hear how the defense should've been firing passes to LC & Cotchery and how it's not Pennington's fault that his ducks were picked off 2 or 3 times.

Your clueless, you try to make it out like Chad WONT be the starter going into week 1. You fail to realize that Chad has the job pretty much locked up and Kellen would have to outperform him with the 2nd team and less reps.

I know everyone has a shot at every position but this pretty much makes it Chads job to lose, dont be silly and make it out like he isnt the favorite to be starter in week 1, and dont think it will be 50/50 at camp, Chad is the starter and will get most of the reps.

I already facking said that Chad is the favorite to start week 1, but you said that Clemens wont even get a sniff at the job in training camp and that Mangini had already named Pennington his starter week 1.

You were wrong and now you are back peddaling. And Clemens should and probably will get his chances to work with the 1st team, as it will be a competition in camp, just like last year with Ramsey.

Deal with it, Pennington isnt the future.

I already facking said that Chad is the favorite to start week 1, but you said that Clemens wont even get a sniff at the job in training camp and that Mangini had already named Pennington his starter week 1.

You were wrong and now you are back peddaling. And Clemens should and probably will get his chances to work with the 1st team, as it will be a competition in camp, just like last year with Ramsey.

Deal with it, Pennington isnt the future.

Deal with it, Clemens isnt the future.

This will not be a competition in camp, it will be Chads job and IF something groundbreaking happens (Chad gets injured, or Kellen gets good) then it will turn into a competition...

You think Mangini just said this for fun, but everything else is serious? Your just picking and choosing what you will and wont believe from Mangini. I told you I thought it was Chads job to lose last year and the competition was fake, there was none. You cry foul and tell me how it was, why would Mangini say it was if it wasnt... now that he is NOT calling it a competition your trying to claim it IS...

You cant just make **** up to fit your needs, if it was going to be a competition Mangini would have said so like he did last year. Its not, and he didnt becuase Chad is his QB.

Jets | Pennington named starter for 2007 season

Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:19:08 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini has said QB Chad Pennington is the team's starting quarterback for the 2007 season heading into training camp. "Chad has done an outstanding job and he'll be the starter moving into camp," Mangini said.

NOT EXACTLY! What ERIC said at the COMBINE was that CHAD was the starter going into camp! That is a big difference. There will still be a QB competition. The best QB plays. If CHAD can not beat out a raw first year player, something is wrong!

It's not worth fighting the Pennington lovers Barton. They are so blinded by the 2002 campaign that it just makes me and I'm sure you as well, sad.

Let them sit here and praise PennyBoyWonder for another 9-7 or 10-6 season next year and a playoff game or possibly a playoff win and a 2nd round exit. No matter, once again Chad will come up short when it matters most and we'll hear how the defense should've been firing passes to LC & Cotchery and how it's not Pennington's fault that his ducks were picked off 2 or 3 times.

The problem with those CHAD-ites is that they seem very content to win 9 or 10 games and go to the WILD CARD game and lose! One and DONE! or two and THROUGH!. They forget that the object is to win the SUPER BOWL! In their BLIND allegiance to CHAD, they seem to forget that this is a TEAM game and they should be loyal to the TEAM and its chance s of winning a SUPER BOWL! They seem to enjoy winning a debate over CHAd's alleged greatness rather then winning a SUPER BOWL!

IM not an English major but there is some major spin on words going on here...

Chad Pennington is the team's starting quarterback for the 2007 season heading into training camp.

You are all misreading the TC part, Mangini is saying that if the season started today Chad Pennington would be the starting QB of the NYJ hands down. That is how he is going to approach TC, and if you think it will be a competition your wrong. Sure like any position on any team, if he is outperformed by Kellen then there might be a bit of a competition but it sure isnt going to start that way.

If it was a competition Mangini would say so, did he name a starter going into camp last year?? NO, becuase it was a competition, and thats where we were headed this offseason when he wouldnt name Chad the starter. Now he has and there is no more competition, its Chads job and Kellen will have to pry it from his hands.

I cant understand what gets into peoples heads that would make them think Mangini would name a starter but secretly make it a competition when just last year he was very loud and open about a competition.

Deal with it, Clemens isnt the future.

Checkmate.

This will not be a competition in camp, it will be Chads job and IF something groundbreaking happens (Chad gets injured, or Kellen gets good) then it will turn into a competition...

So you agree it will be a competition if Clemens shows he turned the corner? No sh#t sherlock, you said otherwise before saying Pennington was a lock to be the starter. Keep back peddaling

You think Mangini just said this for fun, but everything else is serious? Your just picking and choosing what you will and wont believe from Mangini. I told you I thought it was Chads job to lose last year and the competition was fake, there was none.

You are a retard. It wasnt a QB competition between Ramsey and Pennington last year?

Get a facking clue for once. Everybody knows it was a competition last year.

The fact that Pennington blew Ramsey away, who sucked, doesnt mean that it wasnt a competition. You are facking insane and being a complete dumba$$.

You cry foul and tell me how it was, why would Mangini say it was if it wasnt... now that he is NOT calling it a competition your trying to claim it IS...

Mangini did say it was a QB competition last year, you schmuck. Just stfu you are making an ass out of yourself. And he did not say it wouldnt be a competition last year, and after we lost to the Patriots he said this

"I thought he (Chad) did a great job. . . . But I essentially believe, as a core philosophy, competition is a positive thing."

What the f##k do you think that means, genius? He is NOT making any guarantees that Pennington is the starter week 1.

You cant just make **** up to fit your needs, if it was going to be a competition Mangini would have said so like he did last year. Its not, and he didnt becuase Chad is his QB

You are the dooshey making sh#t up saying that there was no real QB competition last year with Ramsey.

Get you mutherfacking facts straight before you run your mouth so you dont look like a jacka## next time.

The fact that Mangini did not say "Chad is the opening day starter" should speak loud enough. He says "going into camp" and you blow your horn and scream in joy that Chads the starter week 1 - get a f'n clue.

This is exactly the right thing for Mangini to say and at the right time too. People who do not think so are not applying enough IQ to the question.

If Clemens comes in and pulls a Brady, i.e he is a slam dunk winner of the best QB in camp then you still want to get as much for Pennington as you can. The kind of First round pick action that the Patriots received for Bledsoe. What is it about this concept that is difficult for people to grasp? Naming him starter today is no lose thing to do Whether it ultimatley turns out to be true or false.

People who think we have a definitive answer of Clemens at this point.... Huh?

Personally I believe that Chicago for one would probably look at Chad and see a smart QB that will not lose games for them the way that Rex did. There are plenty of other teams who might feel the same way.

Put me in the camp as someone who thinks Chad will physically better next year than this year. Medically speaking other people having similar procedures have testified that a full recovery is a multi-year proposition. I believe that the same offense from last year will be better in year two even if you discount an expectation improved QB play. I think some of the younger linemen, plus Leon Washington and Brad Smith would have shown improvement anyway next year. Finally that there is a good chance that the offensive personal will be upgraded this offseason with perhaps a tight end and or a better running back. All of those thing in my mind point to a better offense in 2007 than 2006.

If Clemens takes the job then I want top dollar for Chad.

Archived