Pennington named starter for 2007

Untouchable

The problem with those CHAD-ites is that they seem very content to win 9 or 10 games and go to the WILD CARD game and lose! One and DONE! or two and THROUGH!. They forget that the object is to win the SUPER BOWL! In their BLIND allegiance to CHAD, they seem to forget that this is a TEAM game and they should be loyal to the TEAM and its chance s of winning a SUPER BOWL! They seem to enjoy winning a debate over CHAd's alleged greatness rather then winning a SUPER BOWL!

Exactly.

You want 9 or 10 win seasons with a one and done or a divisional round loss? Heck, Chad Pennington is your man.

You want championships? Well, who knows if it's Kellen Clemens, but its sure as hell not Chad Pennington whose going to lead you there UNLESS you are bringing the best defense in the NFL to the table and the Jets are from bringing that to the table.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"He'll be the starter moving into camp"

Yeah, no sh#t. Doesnt make him the starter week 1 of the 2007 season, though. Misleading report there, Randy.

And why should Pennington get all the snaps with the #1 team in camp? We've seen what he can do with the #1 team, Clemens never got enough snaps with the #1 team last year. It should be 50/50.

Give it up, your boy Kellen blows. Eric Mangini isn't even calling it an open competition in camp in spite of the fact that Pennington didn't play that great at the end of the season.

This is also in spite of the fact that Kellen is Mangini and Tanenbaum's "Guy" in essence because not only did they draft him but they also traded up for him.

Exactly.

You want 9 or 10 win seasons with a one and done or a divisional round loss? Heck, Chad Pennington is your man.

You want championships? Well, who knows if it's Kellen Clemens, but its sure as hell not Chad Pennington whose going to lead you there UNLESS you are bringing the best defense in the NFL to the table and the Jets are from bringing that to the table.

You make it sound like Pennington was surrounded by championship level talent last year. The Jets had no running game, none at all, the offensive line was a work in progress and our run defense was putrid. Yet somehow Chad is supposed to make up for all those team deficiencies and take this team to the Super Bowl.

Yes Pennington went 10-6 with a good defense and running game in 2004 but he also almost got us to the AFC championship game that year. If Doug Brien learns how to make a fg we're in the AFC Championship game and one fluke win against New England from going to the Super Bowl.

I actually sort of agree with you in that I too don't think Pennington is the long-term answer, however, unlike you I actually want to replace him with someone better and not some 5'11 Jay Fiedler wannabe.

Mangini chooses his words very carefully. There is a reason he said "heading into training camp" & it was not a thoughtless add-on. What's he going to say, that going into training camp that neither has a leg up on the other?

He said exactly what he should say, and it is not breaking news of any kind. Chad was the QB in their last game and is under contract (a contract that provides very little cap relief for cutting him). Therefore unless Clemens beats him out in training camp he is still the QB.

Why is this shocking to anyone? What did anyone expect him to say? "Chad was our QB last year, was the starter I selected out of the three, but now I regret that decision. It was stupid b/c he is a noodle-armed deer in the headlights"?

Mangini is doing his saying-something-saying-nothing routine.

ABSOLUTELY correct! It is funny how some feel it was an indictment of CLEMENS! The guy is still raw. if CHAD-boy can't beat him out, then he truly belongs in the ARENA LEAGUE! Give the kid time and experience. Why not bring in qualified QBs like GARCIA to compete for the job? If CHAD wins, the team benefits. If he loses, the tEAM benefits! To put CHAD up against a raw kid is not exactly expressing confidence in CHAD! He ought to win it easily but if ERIC has doubt, we have problems!

You make it sound like Pennington was surrounded by championship level talent last year. The Jets had no running game, none at all, the offensive line was a work in progress and our run defense was putrid. Yet somehow Chad is supposed to make up for all those team deficiencies and take this team to the Super Bowl.

I actually sort of agree with you in that I too don't think Pennington is the long-term answer, however, unlike you I actually want to replace him with someone better and not some 5'11 scrub.

You don't know how good somebody is until he steps onto the field. The NFL field. Let us give Kellen Clemens a shot before you label him a bust, it's stupid to do so.

I'm not talking about just last season either. Pennington, with a running game, still hasn't gotten it done in the past (02 & 04). Sorry, but Chad Pennington is the NOT the long-term answer and we need to play Clemens to see what the kid has and if he has nothing then we need to look for another, and so on.

I'd rather go through a few years of struggle and compete for a championship rather than go through a few 9-7 / 10-6 season and then be screwed 3 years from now.

This is exactly the right thing for Mangini to say and at the right time too. People who do not think so are not applying enough IQ to the question.

If Clemens comes in and pulls a Brady, i.e he is a slam dunk winner of the best QB in camp then you still want to get as much for Pennington as you can. The kind of First round pick action that the Patriots received for Bledsoe. What is it about this concept that is difficult for people to grasp? Naming him starter today is no lose thing to do Whether it ultimatley turns out to be true or false.

People who think we have a definitive answer of Clemens at this point.... Huh?

Personally I believe that Chicago for one would probably look at Chad and see a smart QB that will not lose games for them the way that Rex did. There are plenty of other teams who might feel the same way.

Put me in the camp as someone who thinks Chad will physically better next year than this year. Medically speaking other people having similar procedures have testified that a full recovery is a multi-year proposition. I believe that the same offense from last year will be better in year two even if you discount an expectation improved QB play. I think some of the younger linemen, plus Leon Washington and Brad Smith would have shown improvement anyway next year. Finally that there is a good chance that the offensive personal will be upgraded this offseason with perhaps a tight end and or a better running back. All of those thing in my mind point to a better offense in 2007 than 2006.

If Clemens takes the job then I want top dollar for Chad.

I can just see ole noodle arm in the windy city in DEC! LOL no way! He belongs in a domed stadium like in Minnesota if he is to have any real success in the NFL.

You don't know how good somebody is until he steps onto the field. The NFL field. Let us give Kellen Clemens a shot before you label him a bust, it's stupid to do so.

I'm not talking about just last season either. Pennington, with a running game, still hasn't gotten it done in the past (02 & 04). Sorry, but Chad Pennington is the NOT the long-term answer and we need to play Clemens to see what the kid has and if he has nothing then we need to look for another, and so on.

I'd rather go through a few years of struggle and compete for a championship rather than go through a few 9-7 / 10-6 season and then be screwed 3 years from now.

I agree with you that Pennington is not the long-term answer for the Jets. However, I don't think Kellen Clemens is the answer either. I saw a couple of his games in the PAC-10 and his action in the preseason last year and I didn't see anything impressive. I don't know what the hell Merrill Hoge was thinking when he said he was as good as Vince Young and Matt Leinart. The guy has Jay Fiedler written all over him.

Checkmate.

So you agree it will be a competition if Clemens shows he turned the corner? No sh#t sherlock, you said otherwise before saying Pennington was a lock to be the starter. Keep back peddaling

You are a retard. It wasnt a QB competition between Ramsey and Pennington last year?

Get a facking clue for once. Everybody knows it was a competition last year.

The fact that Pennington blew Ramsey away, who sucked, doesnt mean that it wasnt a competition. You are facking insane and being a complete dumba$$.

Mangini did say it was a QB competition last year, you schmuck. Just stfu you are making an ass out of yourself. And he did not say it wouldnt be a competition last year, and after we lost to the Patriots he said this

"I thought he (Chad) did a great job. . . . But I essentially believe, as a core philosophy, competition is a positive thing."

What the f##k do you think that means, genius? He is NOT making any guarantees that Pennington is the starter week 1.

You are the dooshey making sh#t up saying that there was no real QB competition last year with Ramsey.

Get you mutherfacking facts straight before you run your mouth so you dont look like a jacka## next time.

The fact that Mangini did not say "Chad is the opening day starter" should speak loud enough. He says "going into camp" and you blow your horn and scream in joy that Chads the starter week 1 - get a f'n clue.

First off, relax and show Max and the rest of JetNation some respect by not spewing out all of the garbage I put in bold for you. Have a little class and dont fight like a little girl.

Next, you have completely lost your mind. NOT ONCE did I say this means Chad is automatically the starter week one, or did I question last year being a competition. As of right now Chad is the starter come week one unless Clemens proves otherwise, Chad does not need to prove he is the starter like last season, Mangini named him the starter already.

I said Chad now has the advantage becuase this year will NOT be a competition as stated by Mangini already naming a starter going into camp, unlike last year when he DIDNT name a starter and had a competition.

There is no open competition like last year, I agree that Mangini called it a competition last year all I said was that it wasnt really one and Chad had it locked up all along.

This year Mangini is handing Chad the ball, he is the starter. Kellen Clemens can try to improve to the #1 spot but unlike last year its not an "open competition" he is the #2 guy this year, he will get the #2 guy reps, and will need to come from behind to win the #1 spot.

When Chad wins the Super Bowl here next season, a lot of you owe a lot of us an apology.

Here is all I want though. Let's agree to this --

Mangini will play the man that gives the Jets the best chance to win next year. Before we go worrying about the "future" let's worry about next season. And I am 100% sure that Mangini will select the QB that will do that.

When Chad wins the Super Bowl here next season, a lot of you owe a lot of us an apology.

Here is all I want though. Let's agree to this --

Mangini will play the man that gives the Jets the best chance to win next year. Before we go worrying about the "future" let's worry about next season. And I am 100% sure that Mangini will select the QB that will do that.

Maximus you had a real good point last year. Mangini had to build up some credibility in the lockeroom. Chad was the obvious choice to go with so it does not appear the Jets are tanking the season.

Mangini now has the lockeroom and they are drinking his koolaid. He has coached against Chad and coached Chad for the better part of this decade. He knows what Chad can and can't do. What make you think he does not go with Kellen or a player to be signed/drafted later?

I think his biggest challenge is not making a QB out of Chad, but keeping the team as a whole focused on getting better. There will be no nine out of ten picking the Jets for last place. It will know be second and some firsts I imagine. What better way to rally the team to overschieve and give out 110% effort in rallying them around doing what is best for the team in the long run as oppossed to what is best for the team in 2007?

First off, relax and show Max and the rest of JetNation some respect by not spewing out all of the garbage I put in bold for you. Have a little class and dont fight like a little girl.

Next, you have completely lost your mind. NOT ONCE did I say this means Chad is automatically the starter week one, or did I question last year being a competition. As of right now Chad is the starter come week one unless Clemens proves otherwise, Chad does not need to prove he is the starter like last season, Mangini named him the starter already.

I said Chad now has the advantage becuase this year will NOT be a competition as stated by Mangini already naming a starter going into camp, unlike last year when he DIDNT name a starter and had a competition.

There is no open competition like last year, I agree that Mangini called it a competition last year all I said was that it wasnt really one and Chad had it locked up all along.

This year Mangini is handing Chad the ball, he is the starter. Kellen Clemens can try to improve to the #1 spot but unlike last year its not an "open competition" he is the #2 guy this year, he will get the #2 guy reps, and will need to come from behind to win the #1 spot.

Well then why did you say this

"This does mean that Mangini expects Chad Pennington to be the starting QB for the JETS in 2007"

All I get from this whole non-story by the media is that Chad will enter training camp as the #1, and that from then on, it is up for grabs. Mangini wants a competition, thats his "core philosophy" that he stated right after we lost to the Pats.

Bottom line. Mangini has NOT annointed Pennington the week 1 starter for the 2007 season, and thats all you need to know. You can try and say he has, but the fact is, he has not.

And you pissed me off alot when you said "clemens isnt the future" because has not even gotten a chance to step on the field yet and you are dismissing him already --- real intelligent on your part, are you taking classes under Peter North Football 101???

Chads had 7 years to prove himself, and has shown he cant bring a team back when they are down - thats the mark of a QB who cant win the big one. That is fact, no matter how you slice it. SB QBs have to be able to block everything out, and get their team the W when everything else is going wrong. The fact that everyone complains Chad didnt have alot of talent around him last year is bushleague - he had a very solid pass protecting Oline and 2 very good WRs, and the easiest schedule he will ever see.

Lets not forget his offense was LOADED with premier talent from 2002 and on. Pennington had his chance when he had all that great talent around him, and we never went anywhere with him.

Maximus you had a real good point last year. Mangini had to build up some credibility in the lockeroom. Chad was the obvious choice to go with so it does not appear the Jets are tanking the season.

Mangini now has the lockeroom and they are drinking his koolaid. He has coached against Chad and coached Chad for the better part of this decade. He knows what Chad can and can't do. What make you think he does not go with Kellen or a player to be signed/drafted later?

I think his biggest challenge is not making a QB out of Chad, but keeping the team as a whole focused on getting better. There will be no nine out of ten picking the Jets for last place. It will know be second and some firsts I imagine. What better way to rally the team to overschieve and give out 110% effort in rallying them around doing what is best for the team in the long run as oppossed to what is best for the team in 2007?

I don't root against Kellen or for Chad. I root for the Jets. I just think it is hypocritical of some people to call Mangini a genius and then knock him if he picks Chad over Kellen next year. He is a genius when he makes the move we would make? Not other times.

If Kellen beats out Chad, I have no problem with that. I just think the Jets had no running game last year, a new offense and a defense that couldn't stop the run. This team couldn't run the ball an inch in the beginning of the year. It was amazing they didn't start 1 and 4.

Yet Chad gets no credit for his 300 yard games.

My stance = I trust Mangini and I trust he will try to win each and every game they play.

F the stupid media.

Takin a non-story like this, and putting up a false headline.

Mangini should have learned to not give them anything. Now it goes from, "the starter going into camp", to the media saying "opening day starter". Gotta love those guys at the NYPOST.

Well then why did you say this

"This does mean that Mangini expects Chad Pennington to be the starting QB for the JETS in 2007"

He does expect him to be, thats why unlike last year he has named him the starter of the NYJ heading into camp. It doesnt mean Chad is only the starter for camp and the season is up for grabs, it means Chad is locked in a #1 on the chart and would need to be knocked down. There is no competition like last year, he would have said so just like he did last year.

All I get from this whole non-story by the media is that Chad will enter training camp as the #1, and that from then on, it is up for grabs. Mangini wants a competition, thats his "core philosophy" that he stated right after we lost to the Pats.

Bottom line. Mangini has NOT annointed Pennington the week 1 starter for the 2007 season, and thats all you need to know. You can try and say he has, but the fact is, he has not.

Your wrong, he has made Chad Pennington the starter of his football team from now until someone unseats him. There wont be an open/even competition, he will give Chad more reps and BUILD this team around the fact that CHAD is our starter. They will plan the offense around him during camp, not Kellen becuase Kellen is only going to be the backup going into camp. Sure he can outplay and pass Chad in camp, but untill then this makes it official that they are now planning on Chad being the QB.

You made a big deal that Mangini woudlnt name him the starter, now he does and you claiming its not?? Make up your mind, your not a physic and you surely cannot pick and choose what to believe out of Mangini... You tried to use the fact Mangini wouldnt name a starter as an indication he wanted to play Clemens, now he names Chad the starter and its no big deal... c'mon bro get real.

And you pissed me off alot when you said "clemens isnt the future" because has not even gotten a chance to step on the field yet and you are dismissing him already --- real intelligent on your part, are you taking classes under Peter North Football 101???

Sorry I hurt your feelings but the fact is Kellen is an undersized Fiedler, Bollinger type QB, I hope he turns out to be great why wouldnt I? But Im not going to get caught up in some hype that has no merrit. He has proved nothing in College to show he can be a top QB who wins big games and he has done nothing at the pro level yet either. He was actually quoted saying he wasnt ready to play at the NFL level yet last year... thats not exactly a killer mentality for a QB...

At least with Chad we know we have a guy that wins games, is confident in himself and knows the game better than most out there. Chad whether you like it or not is better than at least half of the starting QB's in the NFL when he is on, its not like Kellen can step right in and be a top 10 QB (which would be needed to improve the position over Chad)

Chads had 7 years to prove himself, and has shown he cant bring a team back when they are down - thats the mark of a QB who cant win the big one. That is fact, no matter how you slice it. SB QBs have to be able to block everything out, and get their team the W when everything else is going wrong. The fact that everyone complains Chad didnt have alot of talent around him last year is bushleague - he had a very solid pass protecting Oline and 2 very good WRs, and the easiest schedule he will ever see.

Lets not forget his offense was LOADED with premier talent from 2002 and on. Pennington had his chance when he had all that great talent around him, and we never went anywhere with him.

The fact that you claim it didnt hurt us to have a "weak" roster is "bushleague"... A QB can only do so much with a weak running game, hell he alomst led us to a comeback against the Pats with a game that DERRICK BLAYLOCK started...

Our O-line did a good job with the pass rush, but when they suck at the run there isnt much Chad can do becuase he has 4 guys getting ready to get their arms up and take away half of his passing lanes becuase they know we cant run.

We also dont have a "big" WR who Chad can throw that deep lob too, we know he cant throw the bullet deep, so give him a big guy (like he had in college) and the deep ball works. Most people will have a hard time throwing a deep ball to a guy like Coles who has no height advantage at all.

Look, there are reasons why he should be the QB for the JETS and reasons why he shouldnt. The good outweighs the bad still for the JETS to keep Chad as their guy. Kellen has no real good reasons, only question marks.

F the stupid media.

Takin a non-story like this, and putting up a false headline.

Mangini should have learned to not give them anything. Now it goes from, "the starter going into camp", to the media saying "opening day starter". Gotta love those guys at the NYPOST.

Barton just cut the crap, you didnt call it a non story when Mangini siad he wouldnt name a starter so you cant call it a non-story when he does. You cant have it both ways buddy, and this DOES mean that Chad is the starting QB of the NYJ for the 2007 season. It says heading into training camp after it becuase thats the next step, but its not like there isnt a clear #1 on the chart now, Chad is the man, Kellen needs to beat him while being #2 and playing less reps now. There is no competition, Chad is the starting QB until he is outplayed. Which obviously hasnt even come close to happening yet otherwise Mangini would have made it an open competition again...

I don't root against Kellen or for Chad. I root for the Jets. I just think it is hypocritical of some people to call Mangini a genius and then knock him if he picks Chad over Kellen next year. He is a genius when he makes the move we would make? Not other times.

If Kellen beats out Chad, I have no problem with that. I just think the Jets had no running game last year, a new offense and a defense that couldn't stop the run. This team couldn't run the ball an inch in the beginning of the year. It was amazing they didn't start 1 and 4.

My stance = I trust Mangini and I trust he will try to win each and every game they play.

Agreed, but you probably already knew that.

If you despise the HC like many did of Hermy, then i could see trashing his decision on who will play QB. But if you like the HC, then support his decision on who plays.

But i empathize with those who have been turned off by CP. I remember i really didnt like Brock Berlin when he was the Miami QB, and believed he would never lead the team to a NC. I was happy when he graduated.

And of course I didnt like Coker, and was delighted when he was sh1tcanned.

It stinks when you feel you cant wholeheartedly support what is happening with your team. But sometimes you have to suck it up and get with the program.

Good post Max. Remember last off season Ramsey was Chad's replacement in our "experts" eyes. Their sigs should have lined through names of all their QB allegiance changes in "just" the last 12 months.

Mangini knows what he is doing.

I just love how guys like Barton think I am crazy...

Yet our Coaching Staff, front office and 90% of fans think Chad is the best option we have at QB... yet somehow everyone else is crazy...

Barton your like that guy holding the "world is coming to an end" sign on the street, sure your convinced of it and get pissed off when people tell you otherwise, that doesn't mean its right...

When Chad Pennington gets the New York Jets to any kind of championship game (AFC Championship Game included) then we can argue that he should remain the starting QB of a franchise that he can't lead past 10-6 and a 1st or 2nd round exit.

When Chad Pennington gets the New York Jets to any kind of championship game (AFC Championship Game included) then we can argue that he should remain the starting QB of a franchise that he can't lead past 10-6 and a 1st or 2nd round exit.

Give him a legit running game, not a 3ypc one... or a 4ypc on 500000 carries Curtis Martin...

I admit he has the monkey on his back for getting deeper in the playoffs, but that doesnt make him a lesser QB. He will get it done in 07' just watch, and while I and all of the other majority of JETS fans that support him enjoy it you can cry about how Clemens should start... :);-)

Give him a legit running game, not a 3ypc one... or a 4ypc on 500000 carries Curtis Martin...

I admit he has the monkey on his back for getting deeper in the playoffs, but that doesnt make him a lesser QB. He will get it done in 07' just watch, and while I and all of the other majority of JETS fans that support him enjoy it you can cry about how Clemens should start... :);-)

A legit running game?

2006 was the first season in which Chad Pennington did not hand off to a ****ing HALL OF FAMER! What the **** more do you want? Should we dig up Walter Payton and have scientists bring him back to life? Chad'll show us haters then.

A legit running game?

2006 was the first season in which Chad Pennington did not hand off to a ****ing HALL OF FAMER! What the **** more do you want? Should we dig up Walter Payton and have scientists bring him back to life? Chad'll show us haters then.

Sure we had Curtis Martin but he never was a "big" game or "big" play RB for us... he just ran the ball A LOT...

Curtis Martin 2004 and 2002

(about 1/4 of all games) 7 - Games with less than 50 yards (a "bad" game for a RB)

Averaged 4.4YPC

19 TD's

Its not like Chad had the best RB ever in the two best seasons...

And we know this year was really nothing special form our running game.

Give me Curtis Martin in his prime this past season with this coaching staff and we win 12 games and go deeper in the playoffs.

We cant forget that part of the problem was Herm...

Sure we had Curtis Martin but he never was a "big" game or "big" play RB for us... he just ran the ball A LOT...

(about 1/4 of all games) 7 - Games with less than 50 yards (a "bad" game for a RB)

Averaged 4.4YPC

19 TD's

Give me Curtis Martin in his prime this past season with this coaching staff and we win 12 games and go deeper in the playoffs.

You're gonna use Curtis Martin as an excuse to why Chad hasn't been more effective? Wow that's seriously reaching.:rolleyes:

Yep that's so easily improved upon considering only 7 other QB's led their team to that record this past season. Hey does Ramsey get cut this off season?

Good post Max. Remember last off season Ramsey was Chad's replacement in our "experts" eyes. Their sigs should have lined through names of all their QB allegiance changes in "just" the last 12 months.

Mangini knows what he is doing.

Hey, remember, Broken Croyle was also going to be better than Chad Pennington. People here are complaining about Chad's 17 tds and 16 int's?

TD to INT ratio? Sh*t, when you're talking about Croyle's you need to use INT to Pass Attempt ratio. What is it? 2 int's in 7 passing attempts? That's incredible quarterbacking. At least he didn't get injured when the wind blew hard on him.

A legit running game?

Martin = durable, not explosive. He's been average almost his whole career.

Averaged 4.4YPC

19 TD's

Wow. Nothing is ever Chad's fault.

How can you say Curtis is not a big game/play RB in one sentence and say if you had him in his 'prime' you would win 12 games and go deep in the playoffs?

You also cannot forget part of the problem is Chad.

Just give Chad a dominant left-tackle in his prime

And give Chad a dominant center in his prime

And give Chad above-average guards and RT, all in their primes

And give Chad a dominant HB in his primewho routinely takes over games

And give Chad a mauler FB in his primewith great hands

And give Chad two pro-bowl caliber WR's and a top-10 TE, all in their primes

And give Chad a top defense so he doesn't have to be in pass-only mode as often

And give Chad joke schedule like '04 or '06

...then he'll show the haters what a great QB he is.

Just give Chad a dominant left-tackle in his prime

And give Chad a dominant center in his prime

And give Chad above-average guards and RT, all in their primes

And give Chad a dominant HB in his primewho routinely takes over games

And give Chad a mauler FB in his primewith great hands

And give Chad two pro-bowl caliber WR's and a top-10 TE, all in their primes

And give Chad a top defense so he doesn't have to be in pass-only mode as often

And give Chad joke schedule like '04 or '06

...then he'll show the haters what a great QB he is.

Ha Ha well put

Archived