Best Songwriters in music history?

BoomBoomMancini

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Dylan, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, and the lesser-known Townes Van Zandt. Yep, that other list was a shame.

Quote about TVZ:

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that" -Steve Earle.

1.Alanis

2.Kurt Cobain

3.Dave Matthews

Cobain is good but not the best of all time. And the others are just, well, no comment.

I'm thinking more along the lines of obviously Bob Dylan and Neil Young, and I'd personally throw in Joe Strummer, Chris Cornell, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, David Byrne, and John Hiatt.

as a song writer? his most famous songs are covers, all along the watch tower, hey joe...he's awsome but come on...

I agree actually Hendrix is a pretty impressive songwriter. His most famous song is obviously Purple Haze not as much the other two, but if you listen to more of his stuff you can tell he's a talented songwriter, along with the obvious wicked guitar playing.

I agree actually Hendrix is a pretty impressive songwriter. His most famous song is obviously Purple Haze not as much the other two, but if you listen to more of his stuff you can tell he's a talented songwriter, along with the obvious wicked guitar playing.

Believe me, I am in no posisition to dis Jimi F'in Hendrix, but i think there are better "writers" out there. As an entertainer goes, and guitarist, he's in his own class.

Song writers?

McCartney, Harrison, Lennon :)

Believe me, I am in no posisition to dis Jimi F'in Hendrix, but i think there are better "writers" out there. As an entertainer goes, and guitarist, he's in his own class.

Song writers?

McCartney, Harrison, Lennon :)

I'm not saying Hendrix is the best songwriter ever, just saying his skills in that department should not be overlooked.

And honestly I get sick of hearing about the Beatles all the time lol. I much prefer the Rolling Stones over the Beatles but really what it comes down to is that Joe Strummer owns all. :)

I'm not saying Hendrix is the best songwriter ever, just saying his skills in that department should not be overlooked.

And honestly I get sick of hearing about the Beatles all the time lol. I much prefer the Rolling Stones over the Beatles but really what it comes down to is that Joe Strummer owns all. :)

That hurts me to read that you prefer the Stones...but to each there own.

The fact that Cobain is even a thought makes me laugh. Yeah, let's sing about angst...that hasn't been done before :yawn:

Dylan, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Springsteen, Young.......those were great songrwriters

It's a little hypocritical to mock Cobain because he sang about "angst" and then mention Young as a great. I happen to think they're both great, but Young is famous for his trio of "gloom" albums; Time Fades Away, On The Beach, and Tonight's The Night.

It's a little hypocritical to mock Cobain because he sang about "angst" and then mention Young as a great. I happen to think they're both great, but Young is famous for his trio of "gloom" albums; Time Fades Away, On The Beach, and Tonight's The Night.

My favorites were 'Rust Never Sleeps' and 'Harvest Moon'.

Pehaps I syhould have elaborated, I only mentioned the unoriginality of the angst as one aspect of his crappiness. Let's take a look at his genius lyrics:

What else should I be

All apologies

What else should I say

Everyone is gay

What else could I write

I don't have the right

What else should I be

All apologies

Genius!! :yawn:

Rape me, my friend

Rape me again I'm not the only one

Hate me

Do it and do it again.

Waste me

Taste me, my friend.

Brilliant :yawn:

I'm not like them

But I can pretend

The sun is gone

But I have a light

The day is done

But I'm having fun I think I'm dumb

Or maybe just happy

Think I'm just happy

Clap Clap!! :yawn:

Polly wants a cracker

Think i should get off her first

Think she wants some water

To put out the blow torch

Yeah..ok :yawn:

Never mention Kurt in any 'best of' lists. Unless it's 'best turds'.

that's pretty neive...You clearly know nothing about Nirvana, or that style.

That's like me saying never mention Johnny Cash cause i don't like country. Cash is still a great artist, i just don't sit down and listen to him.

Pehaps I syhould have elaborated, I only mentioned the unoriginality of the angst as one aspect of his crappiness. Let's take a look at his genius lyrics:

What else should I be

All apologies

What else should I say

Everyone is gay

What else could I write

I don't have the right

What else should I be

All apologies

Genius!! :yawn:

Rape me, my friend

Rape me again I'm not the only one

Hate me

Do it and do it again.

Waste me

Taste me, my friend.

Brilliant :yawn:

I'm not like them

But I can pretend

The sun is gone

But I have a light

The day is done

But I'm having fun I think I'm dumb

Or maybe just happy

Think I'm just happy

Clap Clap!! :yawn:

Polly wants a cracker

Think i should get off her first

Think she wants some water

To put out the blow torch

Yeah..ok :yawn:

Even bob dylan was impressed with Poly. its pretty easy to bash someones lyrics if you don't have the music behind it.

"Good day sunshine

Good day sunshine

Good day sunshine

I need to laugh, and when the sun is out

I've got something I can laugh about

I feel good, in a special way

I'm in love and it's a sunny day"

or jimi

"Purple haze all in my brain

Lately things just dont seem the same

Actin funny, but I dont know why

scuse me while I kiss the sky

Purple haze all around

Dont know if Im comin up or down

Am I happy or in misery?

What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me

Help me

Help me

Oh, no, no"

They all sound dumb, its the music behind it, and no one is calling Nirvana Pink Floyd, or the Doors. They are their own sound...

another one i would like to throw out there: jack bruce/pete brown on disraeli gears and other cream stuff

donovan.. the eagles wrote some pretty good stuff also.. jefferson airplane, ozzy

anyone ever hear (Question Mark) ? and the Mysterians.. question mark himself is pretty good song writer

marley, how could i forget him

another one i would like to throw out there: jack bruce/pete brown on disraeli gears and other cream stuff

donovan.. the eagles wrote some pretty good stuff also.. jefferson airplane, ozzy

anyone ever hear (Question Mark) ? and the Mysterians.. question mark himself is pretty good song writer

marley, how could i forget him

no kidding, the first bob marley siting comes 20 posts later? i named my dog after the guy haha

Archived