Is Michael Turner worth a First Round Pick to you?

BuckinKaeding

YES and NO

Do I think that Turner skills and talent are worthy of being acquired for our 1st rd pick [25th overall] ? YES, I do think he would warrant that type of value and probably prove to be better than anyone else we could get at 25.

But would I give up our 1st rd pick [25th overall] for Michael Turner? NO, I would not.

I am basing that on principle here. Michael Turner is only the chargers backup running back, he's not all that valuable to them. Valuable? YES, but not all that valuable. Let me put it this way: Turner will no doubt leave the Chargers after the 07' season, and they would get nothing in return. But if we give them the 25th pick for him tomorrow, do you think they are gonna replace Turner with a backup running back at #25? I dont think so. It is simple, we are giving up more value then they are losing - far more value, its not even close.

Giving the Chargers our 1st rd pick is overkill. I feel we can easily attain him for our 2nd rd pick [#37] because the teams between picks 26 - 36 will not be in the market for Turner.

#26 - Eagles

#27 - Saints

#28 - Patriots

#29 - Ravens

#30 - Chargers

#31 - Bears

#32 - Colts

#33 - Raiders

#34 - Lions

#35 - Browns

#36 - Buccaneers

Until 1 of these teams between 26-36 gets in on the Turner (I doubt it), I am not giving up our 1st rd pick for him. The Chargers would be getting much more in return than they are losing, and while we MIGHT get alot in return for Turner, he's not a slam dunk either.

The problem with that is that since Turner is a Restricted Free Agent, if you were to acquire him and he makes more than around $1 Million a year, then you have to give up your first round pick. Thats just the way it works.

The problem with that is that since Turner is a Restricted Free Agent, if you were to acquire him and he makes more than around $1 Million a year, then you have to give up your first round pick. Thats just the way it works.

Hes not even that good. If willis maghee,shaun alexzander,thomas jones, edgerin james, Travis henry. There isnt a chance turner goes for a first rounder.

After you tender Turner this year, next year he will become an unrestricted free agent.

Bottom line is if the Jets give up thier first for an unproven RB who was originally drafted in the 5th round, and has yet to rush for 1000 yards in his CAREER combined I would be steaming mad. It is even questionable whether Turner is worth a second rounder when guys like Marshall Faulk were traded for such, and great RB's are picked in the late first, early second every single year.

The Jets could get Pittman or a RB like him, and a lower tier free agent for half the price of a guy like Michael turner and save our first round pick.

The Chargers can tender Turner at a 1st rd pick, that does not mean they will get a 1st rd pick in return for him. The 2 teams can negotiate over this.

Turner can be acquired for a 2nd rd pick.

Also, on top of sending a 1st rd pick to the Chargers for a backup running back being complete overkill, we'd also have to give him a huge contract that would be well over the moneys that the 25th player taken in the draft will get.

The Chargers would be getting the better end of the deal in terms of value, and its not even close. A backup running back for a 1st rd pick? Cmon.

The Chargers can tender Turner at a 1st rd pick, that does not mean they will get a 1st rd pick in return for him. The 2 teams can negotiate over this.

Also, on top of sending a 1st rd pick to the Chargers for a backup running back being complete overkill, we'd also have to give him a huge contract that would be well over the moneys that the 25th player taken in the draft will get.

The Chargers would be getting the better end of the deal in terms of value, and its not even close. A backup running back for a 1st rd pick? Cmon.

Hey, whatever, I don't care if you guys get him. Im just stating the facts. Knowing AJ Smith, he will not let him go without "winning" the deal. I'd gladly keep him here in San Diego.

Hey, whatever, I don't care if you guys get him. Im just stating the facts. Knowing AJ Smith, he will not let him go without "winning" the deal. I'd gladly keep him here in San Diego.

You mean like he "won" the deal with letting Drew Brees go?

Look buddy this isn't a giants message board. Your idiot GM didn't steal our lunch money.

You mean like he "won" the deal with letting Drew Brees go?

Look buddy this isn't a giants message board. Your idiot GM didn't steal our lunch money.

I dont have time to argue with you, but it was a win-win situation for both teams. If we would have signed Brees, we would have been paying 2 QBs out of the wazoo. Rivers still has to prove himself, but I think that he can be our QB of the future.

He's worth more then any other backup RB. We have no idea what the chargers are gonna want for him. If as you say he could be had for a 2nd then the jets should jump right on that.

He's worth more then any other backup RB. We have no idea what the chargers are gonna want for him. If as you say he could be had for a 2nd then the jets should jump right on that.

All I am saying, if I am Tannenbaum/Mangin/Schottenheimer (Tanginiheimer), I'm not giving the Chargers my 1st rd pick for their frickin backup running back.

2nd rd, esp the 37th overall pick, is still technically alittle much for a backup running back, but I'd call it a compromise between the 2 teams because Michael Turner definetly has the skills to be a feature runner.

But for my 1st rd pick, I'm not doing it.

All I am saying, if I am Tannenbaum/Mangin/Schottenheimer (Tanginiheimer), I'm not giving the Chargers my 1st rd pick for their frickin backup running back.

2nd rd, esp the 37th overall pick, is still technically alittle much for a backup running back, but I'd call it a compromise between the 2 teams because Michael Turner definetly has the skills to be a feature runner.

But for my 1st rd pick, I'm not doing it.

The fact that he's a backup RB really doesn't mean much. Any RB in the NFL would be a backup on that team... He should be judged on his value, not his role on the chargers.

The fact that he's a backup RB really doesn't mean much. Any RB in the NFL would be a backup on that team... He should be judged on his value, not his role on the chargers.

This may be true,but who is the last STARTING RB,let alone backup running back who garnered a 1st rounder in a trade?They just don't have the value that some other positions will garner.

This may be true,but who is the last STARTING RB,let alone backup running back who garnered a 1st rounder in a trade?They just don't have the value that some other positions will garner.
Portis was traded for a Pro Bowl corner. Thats about the same value...

There aren't many trades in the NFL though...

How do you know that? Alot of people thought that Portis was a product of the Denver oline and he's hurt EVERY YEAR.

Portis played good two seasons in a row there. Turner has one of the best O-lines, FBs, TEs and is behind the best back in the leauge. Turner will not be as good as people think. I i were the jets id trade for thomas jones.

Portis played good two seasons in a row there. Turner has one of the best O-lines, FBs, TEs and is behind the best back in the leauge. Turner will not be as good as people think. I i were the jets id trade for thomas jones.
Jones is ok. I don't think he's anything special. I'd take turner over him if given the choice.

YES and NO

Turner is not all that valuable to them, at least not as valuable as say our 1st rd pick value. He's only their backup running back.

My point: They can take a RB in the 4th rd and not skip a beat on offense. Michael Turner does not have the value of a 1st rd pick to them, he's simply not that valuable to their team.

YES and NO

Turner is not all that valuable to them, at least not as valuable as say our 1st rd pick value. He's only their backup running back.

My point: They can take a RB in the 4th rd and not skip a beat on offense. Michael Turner does not have the value of a 1st rd pick to them, he's simply not that valuable to their team.

His value is based on what other teams will pay for him and we have no way of knowing what exactly that is but the fact that he's a backup right now won't have a negative affect his value...

I just would never give up a first rounder, or even the early second rd pick at a position where there are quite a few backs available. are all as good as turner, no, and some i wouldnt want on the jets. but between mcgahee, green, either bears back, rhodes and even lewis (and i know there are at least 2 more) it seems to be a buyers market right now, no need to overpay for a back, no to mention, runningback is the nfl position with the shortest average career anyway.

I just would never give up a first rounder, or even the early second rd pick at a position where there are quite a few backs available. are all as good as turner, no, and some i wouldnt want on the jets. but between mcgahee, green, either bears back, rhodes and even lewis (and i know there are at least 2 more) it seems to be a buyers market right now, no need to overpay for a back, no to mention, runningback is the nfl position with the shortest average career anyway.

I'd rather have Turner then any of those guys you listed...

Dude. Smith is a great GM. He's made nothing but great moves the past few years. Be realistic.

He ripped off the Giants or should I say Eli did? I'm not going to get into it - but he is far from a "great" gm. The Chargers have talent - but they also have some blown picks and questionable picks in there.

I dont have time to argue with you, but it was a win-win situation for both teams. If we would have signed Brees, we would have been paying 2 QBs out of the wazoo. Rivers still has to prove himself, but I think that he can be our QB of the future.

Rivers = Bernie Kosar II

He ripped off the Giants or should I say Eli did? I'm not going to get into it - but he is far from a "great" gm. The Chargers have talent - but they also have some blown picks and questionable picks in there.
EVERY team has questionable picks. The Chargers have made great move after great move the past few years and they have built the best team in the NFL. Thats not an accident.

EVERY team has questionable picks. The Chargers have made great move after great move the past few years and they have built the best team in the NFL. Thats not an accident.

BEst team in the NFL? Hmmm, I thought that was the Colts this year, and the Steelers the year before. Surely you don't think the chargers are the most talented team in the NFL, do you?

BEst team in the NFL? Hmmm, I thought that was the Colts this year, and the Steelers the year before. Surely you don't think the chargers are the most talented team in the NFL, do you?
The chargers are BY FAR the most tanalted team in the NFL and it really isn't close.

The chargers are BY FAR the most tanalted team in the NFL and it really isn't close.

Wow, not sure how you can say that. Their WR's suck, ditto secondary. Their run defense is decent, nothing great. Their QB is unproven and not impressive in this his 3rd year in the league. But ok if you would rather have that then what a lot of other teams have go for it. Shows what you know.

Archived