If You Could Move Anywhere In The US, Where Would You Go?

The Gun Of Bavaria

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well when I turn 65 the benefits will be:

Cashing in my now 700k house that is paid for to buy a 200k-300k house to retire in.

Pull out my retirement savings that is larger from by larger lifetime earnings it will be worth it.

While you have your 200k house and less lifetime earnings. I surely hope the south has good jobs for people over 65.

you might be the biggest tool ever,,

1st off, our salaries are equal to norths in high tech, banking etc, ,and we have lower taxes and cheaper houses so we can invest more in 401,,

our houses are cheaper but escalate at same % as Norths..

so you are basically saying you overpaid for a house :P

My wife stays home. The kids are in private (Catholic) school. It is a stretch. Believe me I know.

That's great and god bless you. It's a struggle but it is worth it.

I just think that New Jersey is going to become a 2 class state.

1) The rich

2) The poor

The middle class was/is getting squeezed out and unless you were heading way into South Jersey or West you were never gonna get ahead.

They had built up the Jamesburg-Monroe area so much in the 9 years we lived there that it looked nothing like it did when we first moved there in 97. All the land was being bought up with "McMansions" starting at $500,000 being built on it. It's if you bought back in the late 90's but for those looking to buy now New Jersey is "forget about it".

That is why we started to look south. I see my inlaws paying nearly $10,000 in property taxes. My folks were paying a little over $5,000 in Old Bridge. I was paying nearly $5,000 in property taxes for a townhouse !!!

I thought I would miss New Jersey but other than AC I really don't. The kids are in a very good school district and someday hopefully they can go to a school, like Duke, NC, Clemson, SC, or Winthrop (Watch for them in NCAA tournament) :P

We have our dreamhouse and I have no complaints.

1st off, our salaries are equal to norths in high tech, banking etc, ,and we have lower taxes and cheaper houses so we can invest more in 401,,

off the top of your head, what are the best areas/zip codes to look for in the triangle area, was just checking out allentate.com and couldn't believe the house you can get/prices there....

Why would county education matter? I'm not sending my kids to the county to go to school. They are going to a specific towns school.

holy crap, ,YOU are the one who Bolded the raleigh county average and touted a individual town,,

you cant get your facts staright when you get called out,,

that wa smy point sparky,, you cant put down southern schools by looking at overall scores,, its all about the individual place you live, ,and we pointed out that your schools SATs are equal and actually a little lower than the high schools Johnny and is siblings went to,,

Southern areas have thrie good pockets just like all CT schools cant be based on New Haven

POTW nom: tool :rl:

Next time you are trying to prove your school system is better than mine try to get the right letters next to the right words.

Just a thought.

;)

haha,, typing attack time,,an indication you have lost an argument, ,i accept your surrender

CT is the richest state in the country with the highest per capita income. Nice try though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_locations_by_per_capita_income

CT is the richest state in the country with the highest per capita income. Nice try though.

and the difference in standard of living is even bigger. so it is ALL negated. not some of it, ALL OF THE EXTRA INCOME IS NEGATED. in fact, you most likely would be living at a lower standard of living than someone who is making 2/3 of what you are. does that make you feel good about yourself? and that is compared against raleigh, which isn't the cheapest place to live itself.

so what,,its WHERE YOU ARE,,

Holy crap, are you that enamored by money,,

a 700K house is lower middle class in Ct/NJ from my memories,,

wouldnt you rather live a larger life where you arent the peon in your area?

Because a state is wealthiest , does that mean the streets of New Haven are best place to live? You really seem hung up on the money thing,, its about quality of life dude, ,you will learn that someday,, ist not about saying my state is ranked higher,,,

for some another 500K or more in your nestegg isnt worth the 20 years of living the fast pace and hassle that the North entails..

again, you just be one of those guys who gets into the whole Keepin up with Jones thing,,

thats why they have horse races, ,everyone has a differnt opinion,,

i am glad you are happy,, i loved my time in NJ/NY,,

it was just time to smell the roses

and the difference in standard of living is even bigger. so it is ALL negated. not some of it, ALL OF THE EXTRA INCOME IS NEGATED. in fact, you most likely would be living at a lower standard of living than someone who is making 2/3 of what you are. does that make you feel good about yourself? and that is compared against raleigh, which isn't the cheapest place to live itself.

Most of the the more expensive items are investments like my home and other real estate investments. However, I also benefit in getting a bigger tax right off. I guess the cigs and fireworks are cheaper though.

so what,,its WHERE YOU ARE,,

Holy crap, are you that enamored by money,,

a 700K house is lower middle class in Ct/NJ from my memories,,

wouldnt you rather live a larger life where you arent the peon in your area?

Because a state is wealthiest , does that mean the streets of New Haven are best place to live? You really seem hung up on the money thing,, its about quality of life dude, ,you will learn that someday,, ist not about saying my state is ranked higher,,,

for some another 500K or more in your nestegg isnt worth the 20 years of living the fast pace and hassle that the North entails..

again, you just be one of those guys who gets into the whole Keepin up with Jones thing,,

thats why they have horse races, ,everyone has a differnt opinion,,

i am glad you are happy,, i loved my time in NJ/NY,,

it was just time to smell the roses

700k is prolly the median or slightly above.

Most of the the more expensive items are investments like my home and other real estate investments. However, I also benefit in getting a bigger tax right off. I guess the cigs and fireworks are cheaper though.

can you read?! i live in new york state stupid. i have already mentioned this at least twice. you get a bigger tax right off? how do you know that? because you own one 700k house? so what, there is 700k worth of property here too. don't worry, calm down, its not that big of a deal that you are wasting all that money, im sure its fun.

but if you have a million and buy a house for a million, and it goes up by same % as in raleigh over time,,

you could get that million house in raleigh for 500K, buy a beach house for 300K and then have 200K to invest in other opportunities,,

i dont see the major differences, ,its just different distribution,,

salaries are equal in both places so i dont see the difference..

and by the way, you save a bundle on college expenses here,,3 kids at a top 30 university, 15K a year, room/board tuition per yearX4=60K X3 kids= 180K to send 3 kids to good colleges..

but if you have a million and buy a house for a million, and it goes up by same % as in raleigh over time,,

you could get that million house in raleigh for 500K, buy a beach house for 300K and then have 200K to invest in other opportunities,,

i dont see the major differences, ,its just different distribution,,

salaries are equal in both places so i dont see the difference..

and by the way, you save a bundle on college expenses here,,3 kids at a top 30 university, 15K a year, room/board tuition per yearX4=60K X3 kids= 180K to send 3 kids to good colleges..

You can still afford the same luxeries as theoretically your income should be higher here.

can you read?! i live in new york state stupid. i have already mentioned this at least twice. you get a bigger tax right off? how do you know that? because you own one 700k house? so what, there is 700k worth of property here too. don't worry, calm down, its not that big of a deal that you are wasting all that money, im sure its fun.

No reason for the namecalling. Really. I know where you live.

You can still afford the same luxeries as theoretically your income should be higher here.

why income higher? thats not true for raleigh/charlotte tech/banking sector..

i assume that what we are talkin about here,, not fast food jobs..

thats why everyone moving in tech/banking sector,, same salary, but much more house, land etc,,2nd houses at beach mountain etc,,

huge uplift in lifestyle,,

thats why everyone moving in tech/banking sector,, same salary, but much more house, land etc,,2nd houses at beach mountain etc,,

i swear i have heard this before...like 30 times in this same thread.

Please go back and read yourself. I was mostly talking about the metro area and the south. No one considers upstate new york the metro area or the south.

i wasn't only talking about this area. i am talking about all areas. it just happens you find it necessary to point out that i was living in the south, which i am not. doesn't make the point that you are wasting money away any less true.

Hey if I had 9th graders or above I wouldnt move.

Lots of things go into equation.

Kids in grade school or middle school are like sponges, they easily adapt,,

if best for family in long run, they can handle a move,,

but once you start high school it gets emotional and could be somewhat life changing.

i wasn't only talking about this area. i am talking about all areas. it just happens you find it necessary to point out that i was living in the south, which i am not. doesn't make the point that you are wasting money away any less true.

But dont forget, he is wasting more money that you, ,so he has you beat again ;)

The tech sector is very tough here from what I understand and the banking sector has taken a hit due to the real estate slowdown. Really what makes the area so wealthy is the Hedge Funds Companies, Pharmacuticals, and other big Corporations that have thier headquarters hear.

The tech sector is very tough here from what I understand and the banking sector has taken a hit due to the real estate slowdown. Really what makes the area so very ritch is the Hedge Funds Companies, Pharmacuticals, and other big Corporations that have thier headquarters hear.
ok, what does that have to do with anything?

I am telling you that the majority of people moving south are from the tech and banking sector so their salaries are the same as they got up north, hence, same money , upgraded housing etc

Damn. I missed quite a bit while going to class.

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

For what it's worth, that's a link to the "smartest states." I'm not sure how accurate it is, but assuming they are correct the 3 "smartest states" are located in New England, and New Jersey is 4th. Meanwhile North and South Carolina are in the middle and most other Southern states in the bottom part.

Obviously this argument has become more about specific local areas, but this shows on a whole that the North will give you a better education than the South.

yeah, too bad you live in such an expensive area. you could do it for about 1/4 of the money (at most) elsewhere.

I could do what on 1/4 of the money? It is all relative though. I am not going to make what I make now somewhere else. I can't go into how or why. It is a matter of National Security. Let's just leave it at that.

Damn. I missed quite a bit while going to class.

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

For what it's worth, that's a link to the "smartest states." I'm not sure how accurate it is, but assuming they are correct the 3 "smartest states" are located in New England, and New Jersey is 4th. Meanwhile North and South Carolina are in the middle and most other Southern states in the bottom part.

Obviously this argument has become more about specific local areas, but this shows on a whole that the North will give you a better education than the South.

again, meaningless, you dont take your kid to adiifernet school in the state every day,, its where you decide to live,, in CT i wouldnt want my kid to go to a school in New Haven.

and as Johnny pointe dout Raleigh ahs hoighest % of college grads in country, ,but that doesnt really mean its the smartest, just where the smart people decide to live

That's great and god bless you. It's a struggle but it is worth it.

I just think that New Jersey is going to become a 2 class state.

1) The rich

2) The poor

The middle class was/is getting squeezed out and unless you were heading way into South Jersey or West you were never gonna get ahead.

They had built up the Jamesburg-Monroe area so much in the 9 years we lived there that it looked nothing like it did when we first moved there in 97. All the land was being bought up with "McMansions" starting at $500,000 being built on it. It's if you bought back in the late 90's but for those looking to buy now New Jersey is "forget about it".

That is why we started to look south. I see my inlaws paying nearly $10,000 in property taxes. My folks were paying a little over $5,000 in Old Bridge. I was paying nearly $5,000 in property taxes for a townhouse !!!

I thought I would miss New Jersey but other than AC I really don't. The kids are in a very good school district and someday hopefully they can go to a school, like Duke, NC, Clemson, SC, or Winthrop (Watch for them in NCAA tournament) :P

We have our dreamhouse and I have no complaints.

Again I agree. I am just trying hard to make sure I fall into the right class. Not there yet but I am holding out hope!

ok, what does that have to do with anything?

I am telling you that the majority of people moving south are from the tech and banking sector so their salaries are the same as they got up north, hence, same money , upgraded housing etc

Ok, but those are not necessarily highly educated professions. Mortgage brokers require no education, and a lot of tech jobs require only a certificate. Also, those are just two sectors.

I could do what on 1/4 of the money? It is all relative though. I am not going to make what I make now somewhere else. I can't go into how or why. It is a matter of National Security. Let's just leave it at that.

haha,,NSA I assume?

If you are in tech sector, you would get same or more in Raleigh,,

IBM, SAS, etc or the myriad of smaller tech places

Archived