D-Line Debate

GREEN FIEND

How would you address the D-Line this offseason?

1. Move D-Rob to DE and look for a different solution at NT through FA or the Draft.

2. Draft a playmaker at DE with our first round pick (at the expense of possibly losing out on Blalock) and keep D-Rob at NT.

3. Try to find a DE in FA.

Which option would you choose and who would you pick up if you were the Jets FO?

D-rob will have a spot on the D-line whether thats a 3-4 NT or DE or a 4-3 DT, he will be in the mix. I would really like to bring in a huge run stopping NT who could either force D-rob to move to DE or give him competition. I am not sure how D-rob would do as a 3-4 DE but if the coaches think he is alright I got no problem with giving a chance. I think we have to have at least one new starter brought in this off season, and probably two.

It would be better to bring in a true 3-4 NT as D-Rob isn't one, but this year in the draft and free agency is not good at all at that position. If Carriker isn't there with the first round pick--which I doubt he will be--I would look to address the DE spot in Round 2 with someone like Harrell or Antonio Johnson. Maybe we should look at someone like Paul Soliai for the NT spot later in the draft but I doubt he'll be ready to start this year.

It would be better to bring in a true 3-4 NT as D-Rob isn't one, but this year in the draft and free agency is not good at all at that position. If Carriker isn't there with the first round pick--which I doubt he will be--I would look to address the DE spot in Round 2 with someone like Harrell or Antonio Johnson. Maybe we should look at someone like Paul Soliai for the NT spot later in the draft but I doubt he'll be ready to start this year.

Exactly, there is nobody out there that would be any better than Drob... he is already about 220, if he puts on 10lbs this offseason he will be 230, and your not really going to find any bigger NT out there available.

Soliai is down to about the same weight as Drob as of the combine as far as I knew, it would be like a younger less talented, less experienced Drob size guy...

there's a player named Quentin Echols out of Kansas State who could be a sleeper NT - also a guy named Louis Leonard out of Fresno who occupies space - finally there's everyone's favorite DT sleeper Walter Thomas out of NW Miss CC.

I've watched Echols play (Longhorn & Big 12 Fan) and he could definitely show something at the next level. What do you think about Soliai possibly being there when we pick in the 3rd round?

there's a player named Quentin Echols out of Kansas State who could be a sleeper NT - also a guy named Louis Leonard out of Fresno who occupies space - finally there's everyone's favorite DT sleeper Walter Thomas out of NW Miss CC.

Speaking in hypotheticals...

If we had a quicker end than Ellis, and perhaps two reasonable sized DT's (in a 43 scheme), could D-Rob play end? I get the feeling he would be too big and not fast enough to get around a corner, but that would really be hell to run against.

In reality, I think there are NT's to be had late, we got J. Fergesun in what the 7th round? You guys already listed off some big guys that you've seen play, there will be someone to plug in, if for nothing more than a stop gap for a few series.

Exactly, there is nobody out there that would be any better than Drob... he is already about 220, if he puts on 10lbs this offseason he will be 230, and your not really going to find any bigger NT out there available.

Soliai is down to about the same weight as Drob as of the combine as far as I knew, it would be like a younger less talented, less experienced Drob size guy...

230? I thought he was 317? :)

On NFL Draft Countdown it lists Soliai's weigh-in at 344; I think he'd be a good prospect to groom there if we could get him in like the 5th round or so.

Also, Tank Tyler dropped pretty much everything he gained for the Senior Bowl. He was I believe 320+ there and now down to 306. I don't know anything about Leonard, but Echols at least looks intriguing from his height and weight (6'0, about 330). If we could get a NT to groom like Soliai or Echols or maybe even Leonard, I think it would be a good value pick. But for next year, the best bet would be to keep D-Rob there, as you said.

On NFL Draft Countdown it lists Soliai's weigh-in at 344; I think he'd be a good prospect to groom there if we could get him in like the 5th round or so.

Also, Tank Tyler dropped pretty much everything he gained for the Senior Bowl. He was I believe 320+ there and now down to 306. I don't know anything about Leonard, but Echols at least looks intriguing from his height and weight (6'0, about 330). If we could get a NT to groom like Soliai or Echols or maybe even Leonard, I think it would be a good value pick. But for next year, the best bet would be to keep D-Rob there, as you said.

I would love to try Drob at DE and get a big run stuffing NT... BUT... I don't think we're going to find anyone that will be ready in time. I think Drob stays at NT and we try to find a good/girthy DE.

I do have a question though...

Out of: Pohua, Mosely, Hamilton, Rashad Moore, Kimo

Who do you think will remain on the 2007 roster?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=14827

They list him as 225lbs at the combine.

HIs schools website had him at 334lbs

Sports Illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/9285/index.html

Has him at 315lbs

He is 6'4" though which is a big frame to build on, but its hard to put on "good" weight in the NFL...

Since in the free agent market, DL that fit in the 3-4 D is pretty slim pickens, might as well also look at the draft for some help. I'm betting Jets would look at guys at: Jarvis Moss, Lamar Woodley, Adam Carriker, Justin Harrell, Charles Johnson, Quentin Moses, etc.

Archived