John Rocker has run in with fan in Atlantic City

faba

John Rocker has verbal run-in with minor league fan

May 3, 2005

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- John Rocker, attempting a comeback with the minor league Long Island Ducks, had a testy exchange with a fan Tuesday as he walked off the field after another disappointing performance.

The 30-year-old lefty gave up two runs, two hits and two walks in one-third of an inning on the mound in Long Island's 2-1 loss to the Atlantic City Surf in the second game of a doubleheader.

As Rocker left the field, Dave Macken of Atlantic City, a Surf fan sitting near the visitors dugout, yelled, ``It's a long way from Atlanta.''

Rocker replied, ``I'm still a millionaire'' and followed with profanity, Macken told The Press of Atlantic City. Macken said the two then exchanged profanities.

Rocker recalled the exchange differently. ``Call me what you want, but don't start cussing at me like that,'' he was quoted as telling the paper. ``That's just wrong.''

Rocker, who dropped to 0-2, entered with a 1-0 lead in the fifth and loaded the bases on two singles and a walk. He walked a batter with the bases loaded, forcing in the tying run, and gave up a go-ahead sacrifice fly.

The former Atlanta reliever gained infamy for remarks he made in a 1999 interview with Sports Illustrated in which he bashed gays, minorities and foreigners.

Rocker last pitched in the major leagues for Tampa Bay in 2003. He had surgery for a torn rotator cuff in July of that year and did not pitch last season.

The Ducks play in the independent Atlantic League.

He can not even get guys out in independent league-he should have known the abuse was going to come with his past comments

Archived