Vilma/Coles and pick #25 for pick #2?

BoomBoomMancini

It's an even trade if they're adhering to the value chart; we are hardly getting ripped off with Vilma + #25 + #37 for #2. And frankly, places Vilma's value at higher than we could probably get even-up. In this trade, Vilma's value is the #9 pick.

Vilma & #25 for their #2 will never happen. Throwing in a 5th-rounder (since we have no 4th rounder) doesn't make a pin-sized dent in the trade, and would place Vilma's value at greater than the #4 pick in the draft. Even in the 4-3 he's not worth that.

If you don't like the idea of giving all that up for one pick, then on draft day we trade down again. Detroit wants to do this, but stupidly they let everyone know it. Plus this way they get an established player for their sucky defense.

Well yeah... so make the deal. Who says the Jets can't trade the pick and recoup the picks they lose, plus add picks, plus add an Alan Branch or something?

Vilma, #25, and #59 for the 2nd overall pick is a very good deal for the Jets, as it stands right now IMO.

You can talk about keeping all those 3 picks we currently have in the 1st 2 rds, but the odds of hitting on 2 of those 3 picks is very slim, let alone hitting on all 3 picks.

Adrian Peterson at #2 is the surest bet in the draft - moreso than Calvin Johnson.

We'd still have #37 and can go with BPA at that spot. Maybe Blalock falls, Jarvis Moss, Revis etc etc who knows, very good players always fall to the top of the 2nd rd.

Vilma, #25, and #59 for the 2nd overall pick is a very good deal for the Jets, as it stands right now IMO.

You can talk about keeping all those 3 picks we currently have in the 1st 2 rds, but the odds of hitting on 2 of those 3 picks is very slim, let alone hitting on all 3 picks.

Adrian Peterson at #2 is the surest bet in the draft - moreso than Calvin Johnson.

We'd still have #37 and can go with BPA at that spot. Maybe Blalock falls, Jarvis Moss, Revis etc etc who knows, very good players always fall to the top of the 2nd rd.

Indeed. I do not want to see #37 in Detroit's hands, unless of course we could then trade down from Detroit's spot while still remaining in the Top 6 or 7 and could get back a 2nd or 3rd rounder. But unfortunately at that point that would take us out of both the Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson running and put is in a position to draft Alan Branch or Gaines Adams instead.

If the Jets can deal Vilma, #25 and #59 to Detroit for #2 we need to make this deal as it's giving up Vilma's mediocre play in the 3-4 and a late 2nd round pick for Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson.

Of course you wouldn't. You wanna horde draft picks, just like I do, just like Millen and Tangini do... but you have to give up value to get value. Do you think that the Lions would just bend over and let the Jets have their way with them? You guys might think Matt Millen is a moron, and most of his moves haven't worked, but everytime he makes a move, at the time, everyone says what a good move it is. Signing Dre Bly and him becoming a Pro Bowler, signing Fernando Bryant and Damien Woody, drafting Roy Williams, moving down a spot, raping the Browns of a second round pick, trading up to draft Kevin Jones, trading up to draft Shaun Rogers... it's just it hasn't woked out yet. So, don't think Matt will just get out thought or out moved. He usually gets the most value for what he can.

It's more of a question of the Jets needs at this point IMO,rather than just hording picks.

I think it's more important for the Jets to get players rather than a player to get to the next level.

Indeed. I do not want to see #37 in Detroit's hands, unless of course we could then trade down from Detroit's spot while still remaining in the Top 6 or 7 and could get back a 2nd or 3rd rounder. But unfortunately at that point that would take us out of both the Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson running and put is in a position to draft Alan Branch or Gaines Adams instead.

If the Jets can deal Vilma, #25 and #59 to Detroit for #2 we need to make this deal as it's giving up Vilma's mediocre play in the 3-4 and a late 2nd round pick for Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson.

Your right about the Peterson and Johnson pick. Johnson/Cotch/Coles would be sick.

to me a total package is more then just playing ability and attitude. You also need to be able to stay on the field. Look at how we all felt about jabe. We loved his big play ability, but the man was no where when we needed him the most. If we are moving up to the second pick it better be for cj or one of the qb's.

GET THE **** OUT OF HERE... WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY GIVE UO 2 GREAT PAYERS THAT HELPED US GET TO WHERE WE WAS LAST YEAR!! for a # 2 pic that we dont even know how they will do in the NFL if manginin does some dumb **** like this.. lol...i would be pissed jets fan

Your right about the Peterson and Johnson pick. Johnson/Cotch/Coles would be sick.

There is no way the Jets would go into the season with those 3, one would be gone and the odd man out is Coles after Cotchery's extension.

It's more of a question of the Jets needs at this point IMO,rather than just hording picks.

I think it's more important for the Jets to get players rather than a player to get to the next level.

Ah... but that's where we differ. I don't see it as just getting one player. I see it as getting a huge bargaining chip. You see, if I were Mangini and Tannenbaum, I wouldn't be staying at 2. I'd trade down to the highest bidder, looking to actually move up from the latter second round pick, and even picking up an additional first next year, to move down to the 5-10 area, and taking Alan Branch, or someone of that ilk. I wouldn't stay in the top three.

Ah... but that's where we differ. I don't see it as just getting one player. I see it as getting a huge bargaining chip. You see, if I were Mangini and Tannenbaum, I wouldn't be staying at 2. I'd trade down to the highest bidder, looking to actually move up from the latter second round pick, and even picking up an additional first next year, to move down to the 5-10 area, and taking Alan Branch, or someone of that ilk. I wouldn't stay in the top three.

I'd be for that, but it may be easier said than done to move out of the #2 spot. The compensation needed is just so high. NO would have gladly traded down from #2 last year but no one was willing to give them chart-compensation.

I'd be for that, but it may be easier said than done to move out of the #2 spot. The compensation needed is just so high. NO would have gladly traded down from #2 last year but no one was willing to give them chart-compensation.

Well yeah... but we don't know if NO wanted the chart compensation or more than that. I don't think the Jets will hold out for 4 first round picks, 2 seconds, a 4th and a 7th. Maybe two firsts and a second.

And I know it's unlikely... just as unlikely as just trading Vilma straight up for the number two, as some people would rather. But, such is the life of a fantasy GM.

Well yeah... but we don't know if NO wanted the chart compensation or more than that. I don't think the Jets will hold out for 4 first round picks, 2 seconds, a 4th and a 7th. Maybe two firsts and a second.

And I know it's unlikely... just as unlikely as just trading Vilma straight up for the number two, as some people would rather. But, such is the life of a fantasy GM.

For the #2 pick (2600 pts) I think NO wanted:

#4 pick (1800)

#29 pick (640)

#35 pick (550)

(Total = 2990)

I think they felt they could get it because getting Reggie Bush was "just like" trading into the #1 spot since he was "supposed" to be the #1 pick. They were a little greedy. But there was so much hype over Bush that they felt they had the right to be that greedy. Thankfully Tannenbaum scoffed at it.

For the #2 pick (2600 pts) I think NO wanted:

#4 pick (1800)

#29 pick (640)

#35 pick (550)

(Total = 2990)

I think they felt they could get it because getting Reggie Bush was "just like" trading into the #1 spot since he was "supposed" to be the #1 pick. They were a little greedy. But there was so much hype over Bush that they felt they had the right to be that greedy. Thankfully Tannenbaum scoffed at it.

Right. It's one hell of a price to pay. I think they were better off not doing that trade, obviously. I'm not advocating the deal to the Lions, as much sense as it would make, but I just couldn't help but think the Jets have more up their sleeve... They just have like 12 plans going into this draft, and none of them involve any FA's.

Does anyone think this trade is actually going to happen ?

Eh... probably not, cause player trades are rare in the NFL, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it, since Vilma really isn't a great fit in a 34 defense. The Lions would seem to be a perfect fit, and the Jets could have world's of flexibility with the number two pick.

I don't see it happening anymore with the addition of Thomas Jones, at least not to Detroit. Adrian Peterson is no longer a target and Calvin Johnson I don't think is really on the Jets' radar. Could Alan Branch or Gaines Adams be? Possibly. If the Jets are targeting one of those two they'd look to get in the 5-8 range to make sure they're up on Miami and that's the likely landing spot for both players. In that case scenario, they'd again be offering Vilma, #25 and then who knows... future picks possibly? Both 2nd rounders? Who knows.

I don't see it happening anymore with the addition of Thomas Jones, at least not to Detroit. Adrian Peterson is no longer a target and Calvin Johnson I don't think is really on the Jets' radar. Could Alan Branch or Gaines Adams be? Possibly. If the Jets are targeting one of those two they'd look to get in the 5-8 range to make sure they're up on Miami and that's the likely landing spot for both players. In that case scenario, they'd again be offering Vilma, #25 and then who knows... future picks possibly? Both 2nd rounders? Who knows.

I don't think Peterson was ever a target.

Archived