Would You Trade a 2nd rd Pick for Thomas Jones?

Smizzy

Yes I would. We are going to need a vet RB come the season start. Thomas Jones age does not bother me , he will be good for about 2-3 years in which time we can hopefully draft/aquire our new franchise back.

We need to be patient in this rebuilding. Making knee jerk signings is not something I would expect from Mangini and Tannenbaum.

Thomas Jones would be a stop gap player for us and no more. If we are going to get a stop gap, let it be through free agency and not by wasting a draft pick.

Bingo. A rebuilding team does not throw a 2nd-round draft pick AND a big contract at a player with maybe 3 years left at best. It's not like he's got 3 years left to continue getting 5+ yards per carry and double-digit TD's (mars he has never reached). Jones is good. But he also appears better because of playing on a good team with a weak schedule. Other than a single solid game against Baltimore a year & a half ago, what good rush defense has he ripped to shreds in his entire career?

As a full-time starter on a solid team in a weak conference, here is what you can expect from Thomas Jones: 4.0 to 4.1 ypc.

Will he make our ground game solid vs top run-defenses? Well, Minnesota (by far the #1 rush defense last year) is in Chicago's division. They gave up 2.83 ypc against everyone. Thomas Jones? 2.87 ypc (86 yards on 30 carries in two games). And don't forget that he surrendered a handful of short-yardage carries (which usually only lowers a RB's ypc) to Cedric Benson.

He ain't all that some are making him out to be. I'd rather take a CB or lineman or DE/OLB 'tweener with size & speed there.

Let's say that the pick we trade away turns into a starter at DE like Justin Harrell. You'd trade that away, along with an additional $15M in cap space, to get Thomas Jones and his 4.1 ypc vs mostly lousy teams for a couple of years?

This is why I wouldn't trade for Thomas. He is 29 and starting to get a little old for a runningback. It would be better for us to trade for a young talented runningback so we could build him to be a everydown back.

I'd rather have Rhodes, Green or Duckett AND my 2nd rounder than Jones and no 2nd rounder.

Right. Is everyone blind to what a dollar-for-dollar value discrepancy there is for draft picks (particularly after the top 5-10 picks) compared to other high draft picks?

Take a look at two OLmen:

Eric Steinbach: $7M/year - good but far from great lineman

Nick Mangold: $2M/year - will be an annual superstar for years

Bingo. A rebuilding team does not throw a 2nd-round draft pick AND a big contract at a player with maybe 3 years left at best. It's not like he's got 3 years left to continue getting 5+ yards per carry and double-digit TD's (mars he has never reached). Jones is good. But he also appears better because of playing on a good team with a weak schedule. Other than a single solid game against Baltimore a year & a half ago, what good rush defense has he ripped to shreds in his entire career?

As a full-time starter on a solid team in a weak conference, here is what you can expect from Thomas Jones: 4.0 to 4.1 ypc.

Will he make our ground game solid vs top run-defenses? Well, Minnesota (by far the #1 rush defense last year) is in Chicago's division. They gave up 2.83 ypc against everyone. Thomas Jones? 2.87 ypc (86 yards on 30 carries in two games). And don't forget that he surrendered a handful of short-yardage carries (which usually only lowers a RB's ypc) to Cedric Benson.

He ain't all that some are making him out to be. I'd rather take a CB or lineman or DE/OLB 'tweener with size & speed there.

Let's say that the pick we trade away turns into a starter at DE like Justin Harrell. You'd trade that away, along with an additional $15M in cap space, to get Thomas Jones and his 4.1 ypc vs mostly lousy teams for a couple of years?

I'd like to see jets Draft

1.Blalock

2.Justin Harrell

2nd 2. either top DE or CB

3 and on. BPA

I still think they will bring in via FA DB, RB, and DE

Argghhh!

Looking back at the trade now I think we could be worse off. We did get a second rounder back so we still have two... I'm not sure I think Im going to remain neutral on this one...

We definitely could have done better but also could have done much worse.

No No and thrice no.

Solid citizen. Unspectacular without any evidence of take-it-to-the-house talent. Given his age and contract status and given the fact that he is coming from a superbowl team he will command more dollars than he is actually worth. Then there is that tasty #37 pick we are shipping off for him.

Geez... it is Curtis "never-show-up-in-a-big-game" Martin all over again.

This has all the sniff of a pure reaction move on the part of the front office after seeing Lamont Jordan and Travis Henry come off the board.

Lol, nice. I must admit, I DO miss the Smizz whilst hanging at JI, no doubt.

That Message board is a complete mess. Yesterday alone....mid day... there were 4 threads on the same subject and 14 OT's...How anybody would want to sift thru any of that crap just to read real Jets news is beyond me.

Sooth has a Camera and is friends with Slingblade. Cool. Other than that...that place leaves a lot to be desired.

Archived