kimo is here to stay

gg

Jets | Jets decide not to renegotiate von Oelhoffen's deal

Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:04:52 -0800

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the New York Jets have apparently decided to keep DL Kimo von Oelhoffen without renegotiating his contract. General manager Mike Tannenbaum previously said the two sides were working on that new deal, but von Oelhoffen's agent obviously managed to play some hardball with the Jets. The Jets decided to pay up rather than cut the veteran.

Nice they bend to "hardball" from the agent of a completely useless player. Cheers.

Obviously they dont feel he is useless, he will provide great leadership again (probobly to a new younger DE he will help train) and also remeber he just won a Superbowl as a starting DE in the 3-4 defense... he will be a great backup, we need depth.

Why is it that you feel you are smarter than Tangini? Maybe you should go have a chat with the JETS FO and apply for a job... you seem to know better than they do... at least in your own head anyways...

Obviously they dont feel he is useless, he will provide great leadership again (probobly to a new younger DE he will help train) and also remeber he just won a Superbowl as a starting DE in the 3-4 defense... he will be a great backup, we need depth.

Why is it that you feel you are smarter than Tangini? Maybe you should go have a chat with the JETS FO and apply for a job... you seem to know better than they do... at least in your own head anyways...

If they think this piece of crap is worth having on the team then maybe they aren't as smart as you think they are.

I think he's a good backup, but not for the money he commands in his contract. You don't give a player a $3M salary plus about another million in signing bonus money so that he can be a backup and mentor the younger players.

I think he's a good backup, but not for the money he commands in his contract. You don't give a player a $3M salary plus about another million in signing bonus money so that he can be a backup and mentor the younger players.
Yet our great FO is about to do just that for the SECOND time.

I agree. An interesting move by the Jets FO if this report is true.

Say all you want about madmike and his posts this weekend but he is correct on this issue.

Yet our great FO is about to do just that for the SECOND time.

If they suck so bad please go apply to Woody and do a better job.

Kimo stinks no doubt but stop with the whining. How can you produce that much tears for 3 straight days. Are you drinking a lot of fluids? watch out for dehydration man.

I tend to give the guys that practically lived with this player for a year the benefit of doubt...

They see Kimo way more than we do, during practice, in the weight room, and they watch the games 1000 times more than we do.

They obviously see something in him that most of us dont, maybe they think he will be able to play the role of backup effectively, with fresh legs Im sure he can get it done... add into that the fact that he played for a superbowl 3-4 defense as a starter just 2 years ago...

Listen, if Kimo wouldnt re-structure his deal it would have hurt us to release him as well. We need to hold onto him now becuase we pay for him whether he is here or not.

Kimo is a good source of info for the other guys...but he should have been asked to be an asst.Dline coach...not given his paycheck He sucked so bad last yr he should have zero leverage here.

Problem is if we cut him, he gets paid (not all but a lot)

If we keep him, he gets paid.

So there isnt much of a choice here unless you have a ton of depth at the position and can afford to cut him... we need the depth and its actually more cost effective to keep him becuase his agent was a stubborn fool!... lol

Problem is if we cut him, he gets paid (not all but a lot)

If we keep him, he gets paid.

So there isnt much of a choice here unless you have a ton of depth at the position and can afford to cut him... we need the depth and its actually more cost effective to keep him becuase his agent was a stubborn fool!... lol

I'd have rather used his money to re-sign Clement. Now we have no RT and a useless DE.

thats worth 3 million dollars?

We get about 1 million in deap cap hit in 2007 and 2008 if we cut him.

Obviously the JETS FO thinks he is worth the little less than 2 million dollars they would save if they cut him.

cutting him would cost how much? Subtract whatever that price is from 3 mil and that is what his leadership and knowledge cost us.

Not the full 3 mil.

Base Salary - $1,850,000 (this is what we are paying to keep him basically)

Signing bonus money - $1,066,667 (this we pay in 07' and 08' regarless)

So pretty much we are paying 1,850,000 for him in 07'

Sperm feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Too many people are drinking the kool aid of this front office.

Like I've said before, the FO has not done anything great in my book. Yeah Nick Mangold was a great exchange for JA, but other than that, I was not impressed with much they did. DBrick was avg, might get better, might not, but I'm not giving them a "genius" grade for a player who might improve and gain weight.

Brad Smith was a nice move, but the guy barely played and unless they find ways to use him more than special teams and trick plays, he's just a nice surprise once in a while.

Washington is nice, but can he play every down? Can he block?

Kellon Clemmons might not even be the second string QB this year.

Most of the credit last year I give to Mangini and the coaching staff. People to this day keep saying the Jets don't have that much talent. So how do you slurp the kool aid from the front office for a team who basically didn't upgrade all that much talent wise from years past.

Until they start showing me they can bring in a talented cast, regardless if it's stars or role players, I' m not sold that this FO knows how to pick talent.

And people who say, "apply for the job" is somebody who slurps way too much FO kool aid.

Too many people are drinking the kool aid of this front office.

Like I've said before, the FO has not done anything great in my book. Yeah Nick Mangold was a great exchange for JA, but other than that, I was not impressed with much they did. DBrick was avg, might get better, might not, but I'm not giving them a "genius" grade for a player who might improve and gain weight.

Brad Smith was a nice move, but the guy barely played and unless they find ways to use him more than special teams and trick plays, he's just a nice surprise once in a while.

Washington is nice, but can he play every down? Can he block?

Kellon Clemmons might not even be the second string QB this year.

Most of the credit last year I give to Mangini and the coaching staff. People to this day keep saying the Jets don't have that much talent. So how do you slurp the kool aid from the front office for a team who basically didn't upgrade all that much talent wise from years past.

Until they start showing me they can bring in a talented cast, regardless if it's stars or role players, I' m not sold that this FO knows how to pick talent.

And people who say, "apply for the job" is somebody who slurps way too much FO kool aid.

You're even more down on them then i am but you have some very good points.

Base Salary - $1,850,000 (this is what we are paying to keep him basically)

Signing bonus money - $1,066,667 (this we pay in 07' and 08' regarless)

So pretty much we are paying 1,850,000 for him in 07'

Sperm feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Salary is $1.85M, but apparently there was also a $600K roster bonus paid yesterday or the day before.

2007 Compensation to Kimo = $2.45M

2007 Cap hit to Jets = $3.5M

It was a bad signing in the first place.

But here is the reason for keeping him (if I coud find ANY reason):

The Jets would like to draft a DE to replace him, not a FA. Mangini wants his own Richard Seymour. Now if that rookie is (thought to be) a sure-thing to start in week 1 like Alan Branch or Adam Carriker, then we don't need Kimo as much, and probably would have released him. But the odds are that (unless we trade Vilma) neither of these two will land to us. We're not going to trade 3 draft picks for 1 like Bradway did for DSlob.

So the player we get instead may be great right away, or may not be really ready or at least serviceable until week 10. Our only other DE is CJ Mosely, who Mangini presumably feels would make a worse starter than Kimo.

Kimo is getting released after the season either way.

Salary is $1.85M, but apparently there was also a $600K roster bonus paid yesterday or the day before.

2007 Compensation to Kimo = $2.45M

2007 Cap hit to Jets = $3.5M

It was a bad signing in the first place.

But here is the reason for keeping him (if I coud find ANY reason):

The Jets would like to draft a DE to replace him, not a FA. Mangini wants his own Richard Seymour. Now if that rookie is (thought to be) a sure-thing to start in week 1 like Alan Branch or Adam Carriker, then we don't need Kimo as much, and probably would have released him. But the odds are that (unless we trade Vilma) neither of these two will land to us. We're not going to trade 3 draft picks for 1 like Bradway did for DSlob.

So the player we get instead may be great right away, or may not be really ready or at least serviceable until week 10. Our only other DE is CJ Mosely, who Mangini presumably feels would make a worse starter than Kimo.

Kimo is getting released after the season either way.

Is that humanly possible?

Why do you need to see them bring in a talented cast when they took a pile of **** to the 10 wins and a playoff berth last yr?

Whatelse do you guys need to see the light? What they are doing is working. I don't care if you all are mad as hell we didn't sign any of BIG name Free agents yet. This isn't Madden football. You can't just go out and get anybody you want.

Oh & lets be real here....every team who has signed a player up until this point has over paied for their servies. It is what happens the first week of free agency. So many teams with so much money to spend....let them blow their wad real quick and watch as the Jets get quality depth and role players at good prices. We are trying to build a unit here....not bring in 3 high priced big name players who are all over 30 yrs old.

Get a god damn grip already.

Please fill my glass up because my Kool-aid is banging.

Why do you need to see them bring in a talented cast when they took a pile of **** to the 10 wins and a playoff berth last yr?

Whatelse do you guys need to see the light? What they are doing is working. I don't care if you all are mad as hell we didn't sign any of BIG name Free agents yet. This isn't Madden football. You can't just go out and get anybody you want.

Oh & lets be real here....every team who has signed a player up until this point has over paied for their servies. It is what happens the first week of free agency. So many teams with so much money to spend....let them blow their wad real quick and watch as the Jets get quality depth and role players at good prices. We are trying to build a unit here....not bring in 3 high priced big name players who are all over 30 yrs old.

Get a god damn grip already.

Please fill my glass up because my Kool-aid is banging.

Wow great post completely accurate and to the point.

There is not one player on that list of free agents that would make the Jets a Super bowl contender. The biggest weakness of this team (IMO) is defensive line. Ours stinks and there was absolutely not one difference maker on that list.

The other glaring weakness, our offensive line and more specifically the run blocking or lack there of would not be shored up by any of the stiffs that were free agents. The best of the bunch.......... Steinbach is a younger version of Kendall and is in no way shape or form worth 23 million of guaranteed money over the next 3 years.

Wow great post completely accurate and to the point.

There is not one player on that list of free agents that would make the Jets a Super bowl contender. The biggest weakness of this team (IMO) is defensive line. Ours stinks and there was absolutely not one difference maker on that list.

The other glaring weakness, our offensive line and more specifically the run blocking or lack there of would not be shored up by any of the stiffs that were free agents. The best of the bunch.......... Steinbach is a younger version of Kendall and is in no way shape or form worth 23 million of guaranteed money over the next 3 years.

well said newbie! Welcome to Jn and keep posting!

Yeah, we need to sign people first lol. Or you can get them from the draft. I like your idea.

I am mortified, but I agree completely with Barton and MadMike on this one. The sky is falling because we paid this piece of ****. On the team maybe, but to pay him a roster bonus because his agent "played hardball?" Give me a ****ing break. It won't take Richard Seymour to upgrade from this tub of crap.

Kimo is worthless. He should not have been brought back, I dont give a sh#t what anyone tells me.

The guy is PATHETIC. Go eat another box of eggos you fat slob.

200px-Mindtrick.JPG

" Kimo is not Pathetic...Kimo does not like Eggo waffles "

If this is the 1 DUMB MOVE they make this offseason im ok with it.

Sign PORTER, CLEMENTS, trade the 2nd rounder for JONES and the Kimo move is excused.

Joey Porter would do jack all as a member of the Jets. He needs a competent D-Line to be an impact player.

With Kimo and the inconstant D-Rob the Jets D-Line is average at best.

Joey Porter would do jack all as a member of the Jets. He needs a competent D-Line to be an impact player.

With Kimo and the inconstant D-Rob the Jets D-Line is average at best.

I agree our Dline isn't the best to say POter can perform here is dumb. Porter is a beast. He owuld be a great fit here. Just don't want to pay top dollar for him.

I agree our Dline isn't the best to say POter can perform here is dumb. Porter is a beast. He owuld be a great fit here. Just don't want to pay top dollar for him.

Until the Jets have a competent D-Line guys like Joey Porter, A. Thomas, etc will not be forces like they were with their prior teams.

The Jets run D sucked last year. Bringing in LB's doesn't address that problem.

Archived