Barry Bonds has more surgery on his knee

faba

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds had a third operation on his injured right knee, the latest setback in the slugger's rehabilitation, he said on his Web site Wednesday.

Bonds

Bonds underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday in Southern California as doctors tried to clean out an infection, first draining fluids from his knee, according to a journal entry from Bonds posted on his Web site.

"The surgery went well. Dr. (Arthur) Ting cleaned out the infected area and they are now treating me with antibiotics," Bonds wrote. "I know you have many questions regarding me playing baseball but right now I have to spend the time focusing on getting healthy. I've been through ups and downs before and I will be back."

The surgery was first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle. The newspaper reported Bonds would take antibiotics for at least two weeks and could not resume his rehab until doctors are assured the infection is gone.

Bonds already had operations on the knee Jan. 31 and March 17 to remove damaged cartilage.

The San Francisco Giants have stopped giving medical updates on Bonds, and his agent on Tuesday would not confirm that Bonds had the operation.

"The only comment I have about Barry is that the day his knee is healthy, he will be back on the field in uniform," Jeff Borris said.

Bonds has been giving his medical updates on his personal Web site but did not mention the surgery until Wednesday.

"My original plans were to wait a week before reporting on my condition so I would have a better idea on how my leg was responding," Bonds wrote. "Due to informational leaks ... the media has been contacting my PR firm asking about my status. So, before any hearsay or false information is reported, I wanted you to hear about my condition directly from me."

That will likely delay Bonds' return and the resumption of his quest for baseball's career home run record even longer. In an outburst during spring training, Bonds said he might not be back for at least half the season, maybe the whole season.

The 40-year-old Bonds has 703 career home runs, 11 behind Babe Ruth and 52 from tying Hank Aaron's career record. Bonds batted .362 last season with 45 homers and 101 RBI and also walked a major league-record 232 times on the way to his record seventh MVP award.

This is just the third time in his career he's gone on the disabled list and the first since April 18 to June 9, 1999, as he recovered from elbow surgery.

Bonds was also dogged by steroid allegations in the offseason. According to the Chronicle, Bonds testified to a grand jury in December 2003 that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know if they were steroids. Prosecutors believe the substances were two steroids at the center of the BALCO scandal.

Maybe there will be a miracle that will save the homerun record that should never go to Bonds.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds had a third operation on his injured right knee, the latest setback in the slugger's rehabilitation, he said on his Web site Wednesday.

Bonds

Bonds underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday in Southern California as doctors tried to clean out an infection, first draining fluids from his knee, according to a journal entry from Bonds posted on his Web site.

"The surgery went well. Dr. (Arthur) Ting cleaned out the infected area and they are now treating me with antibiotics," Bonds wrote. "I know you have many questions regarding me playing baseball but right now I have to spend the time focusing on getting healthy. I've been through ups and downs before and I will be back."

The surgery was first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle. The newspaper reported Bonds would take antibiotics for at least two weeks and could not resume his rehab until doctors are assured the infection is gone.

Bonds already had operations on the knee Jan. 31 and March 17 to remove damaged cartilage.

The San Francisco Giants have stopped giving medical updates on Bonds, and his agent on Tuesday would not confirm that Bonds had the operation.

"The only comment I have about Barry is that the day his knee is healthy, he will be back on the field in uniform," Jeff Borris said.

Bonds has been giving his medical updates on his personal Web site but did not mention the surgery until Wednesday.

"My original plans were to wait a week before reporting on my condition so I would have a better idea on how my leg was responding," Bonds wrote. "Due to informational leaks ... the media has been contacting my PR firm asking about my status. So, before any hearsay or false information is reported, I wanted you to hear about my condition directly from me."

That will likely delay Bonds' return and the resumption of his quest for baseball's career home run record even longer. In an outburst during spring training, Bonds said he might not be back for at least half the season, maybe the whole season.

The 40-year-old Bonds has 703 career home runs, 11 behind Babe Ruth and 52 from tying Hank Aaron's career record. Bonds batted .362 last season with 45 homers and 101 RBI and also walked a major league-record 232 times on the way to his record seventh MVP award.

This is just the third time in his career he's gone on the disabled list and the first since April 18 to June 9, 1999, as he recovered from elbow surgery.

Bonds was also dogged by steroid allegations in the offseason. According to the Chronicle, Bonds testified to a grand jury in December 2003 that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know if they were steroids. Prosecutors believe the substances were two steroids at the center of the BALCO scandal.

Maybe there will be a miracle that will save the homerun record that should never go to Bonds.

Bonds is a piece of sh*t and if there is any justice in this world, he will never sniff the baseball diamond again. His 703 hr's should have his record marked in the following manner:

Aaron, Hank 755

Ruth, Babe 714

Bonds, Barry 703*

*He was a steroid abuser and an a$$hole to boot!

LL

Former Brave Tom House recently stated roids were rampant in the late 60's and early 70's. His words were everyone was using.

Barry's generation just got caught fellows.

I know he's not Mr. Personality but he's also not the only roider in or headed to the Hall Of Fame.

Maxman, Sid Rosenberg, and I agree...Geez, could there be any WORSE company???...Barry Bonds is done!

We'll probably never have to see him disgrace MLB again. We definately not have to watch a Barry Bonds run at Hank Aaron's record which would be nothing short of puke-inducing!

It really is not fun being in agreement with Maxman!

Roids and karma? Sound familiar Yankee fans?

You can go ahead and add the curse of the $200 million payroll to that list

And the $130 million payroll ain't that far behind. Sure, bashing the yanks is easy, but lest you forget, you're still number two, and you're not playing money ball. Don't act like the Yankee superior, when you're really no better than said Yankee.

dude, we're gonna at least be in playoff contention, if not definately in the playoffs...I cant say the same about the $kankees. In fact, I am reasonably certain that they will be dumping salary very soon and SERIOUSLY retooling (not simply benching Bernie & Giambi) and looking to next year shortly thereafter.

BTW, the Yanks were much better in 2001 when they spent $130 million...a little bit overboard...than when they went WAY overboard in the following years.

And I guess I have to point this out:

The Red Sox spend the way they spend to stay reasonably close to the Yankees to satisfy their fan base that would abandon the Olde Towne Team if they spent what the bottom feeders feed as the Yankees spend billions. Its either insanely spend alot and compete or spend reasonably and kill the franchise. I give them credit, they dont want to kill the franchise the way the bottom feeders killed their franchises. There are maybe 8-10 teams alive! The Red Sox have to spend this much to stay afloat!

It was the $kankees that dropped the spending gauntlet. They are the sole reason for the '02 collective bargaining agreement and 90% responsible for the steroid scandal. I am currently researching a post about the OTHER times the league has had to step in to stop the Yankees!

Archived