Are the Yankees f'n crazy?

Bob

No long-term deals for Wang, Cano

Monday, Mar 5, 2007 10:22 am EST

Despite Chien-Ming Wang winning 19 games a year ago and developing into the staff ace and Robinson Cano being an All-Star and finishing third in the AL batting race, the New York Yankees aren't offering them multi-year deals.

The Yankees have sent the agents for Wang and Cano one-year contracts. Wang's is for slightly more than $500,000 and Cano's is just shy of the $500,000 mark.

The players have until March 11 to sign them or their contracts will be renewed at a lower price.

Source: New York Post

This is what the Yankees do, and if they players dont like it they just sign someone else to fill their spot... its the one thing I dont like about em and they need to lock these guys up...

They always treat their home bred players like **** during preliminary negotiations(which still makes no sense IMO)..while they dish out oodles of money to useless POS's like Pavano and Jaret wright..

This is heir Steinbrenner,plain and simple.

Both Cano and Wang don't become eligible for Free Agency for 5 more seasons and they can't file for arbitration until 2009.

These type of low contracts for young players who are fully under the organizations control happen all the time.

Like the Twins who just now have gotten around to long term discussions with Mauer and Morneau, once some contracts come off the books, (Giambi, Pavano, Posada) the Yanks will take care of these two players.

In the mean time they are much more attractive at these salaries to other teams should something happen where the Yanks were "forced" to entertain trading one of them.

That is the way the baseball system works.

The first 4 years, you are beholden to the organization. Sometimes, unfairly so. After that, basball is beholden to the players. Many times, fairly so.

It is the system that was collectively bargained for. Tooth and nail by the player union, too. The most powerful unionin all of sports.

It happened with Howard this year. Reyes and Wright a couple of years ago. Pujols, 4 years ago.

In baseball, you pay your dues before you get the fat contract.

Just the way it is. Not only with the Yankees.

I do not like how the Yankees are running things with extensions. Mariano deserves one and so do Wang & Cano, as well as an increase in pay for one of the best AL starting pitchers and 2nd baseman.

That is the way the baseball system works.

The first 4 years, you are beholden to the organization. Sometimes, unfairly so. After that, basball is beholden to the players. Many times, fairly so.

It is the system that was collectively bargained for. Tooth and nail by the player union, too. The most powerful unionin all of sports.

It happened with Howard this year. Reyes and Wright a couple of years ago. Pujols, 4 years ago.

In baseball, you pay your dues before you get the fat contract.

Just the way it is. Not only with the Yankees.

Yep. Might not be fair, but that's the way it is. Lost in the tone of the article is that fact that the Yanks are actually entitled to renew their contracts at lesser amounts. The $500K is throwing them a bone.

They will take chances in Arbitration for a year then give em the money

No need to go to arbitration. Neither Wang nor Cano has a full 2 years service in and therefore, IIRC, they will not be eligible for arbitration until next year. I believe the $500K is considerably more than the Yanks are required to offer them. There is plenty of time to make the long term deals before they even head to arbitration.

This is what the Yankees do, and if they players dont like it they just sign someone else to fill their spot... its the one thing I dont like about em and they need to lock these guys up...

They don't have to lock them up yet, why not get them cheap while they can? They'll get their big deals in time but as long as they don't have to pay them why do it?

No need to go to arbitration. Neither Wang nor Cano has a full 2 years service in and therefore, IIRC, they will not be eligible for arbitration until next year. I believe the $500K is considerably more than the Yanks are required to offer them. There is plenty of time to make the long term deals before they even head to arbitration.

They are both entering their third year in the big leagues, but dont have two full seasons. Wang was hurt the first year and Cano came up mid season and hurt last year. After this year they get arbitration I believe, get a nice raise on a one year and then get locked up.

They are both entering their third year in the big leagues, but dont have two full seasons. Wang was hurt the first year and Cano came up mid season and hurt last year. After this year they get arbitration I believe, get a nice raise on a one year and then get locked up.

Wang being hurt in 2005 was not the issue. He was not called up until May, same as Cano. So both are not eligible for Arbit. until after next season.

All teams do this to their kids. Hold the line the first 2+ seasons, then go to arbitration. The Indians in teh mid-1990s did sign their kids to long term deals to save themselves from the arbitration years. Guys like Bareage, Thome, Manny, Alhomar, Nagy, Fryman, et al. It cost them a great deal the first couple of years, but saved them over the long term.

The gamble is that the kid is not a flash-in-the-pan, but a real stud. And it is hard to always tell within 2 seasons if this is true. So most teams just give the tiny contracts for the 2+ seasons, then go to arbitration for 3-4 years, then either FA, trade, or long term deal.

What the Yankees are doing to Wang and Cano is no different. Classic example - Ryan Howard, as was brought up by a previous poster.

You can't say that.

If they are the real deal, they will get the money anyway.

if you sign a young player to a long contract extension, and then he gets hurt, what have you cost your franchise then?

Just the way baseball works.

Yes I can say that because the yankees ALWAYS do this. And it ALWAYS costs them much more money then it should. If they would've signed Jeter a year earlier it would've cost them 117 million not 192. If they would've signed Bernie a year earlier it would've cost them 55 million not 86. And on and on. They should've signed rivera 2 years ago and now he's gonna cost them at least 15 per. If they would've taken care of Pettitte then he wouldn't have went to houston. The yankees do a historically bad job with contracts.

The yankees should be doing with Cano and Wang what teams like the Mets and Indians have done with their young players.

The yankees should be doing with Cano and Wang what teams like the Mets and Indians have done with their young players.

How do you think Jose Rios is going to feel in a few years when he fully begins to realize he got ripped off by his own team? Granted its his fault I totally agree he's the one that signed the contract. But in a few years when he's sitting out of spring training because he wants a new deal with more money, you might rethink what your saying .

They are. Reyes and Wright waited for their payday also.

The point is that the Mets signed those guys during their arbitration years before they had a chance to hit free agency. Thats something the yankees don't do and it ends up costing them a lot of money.

Treating them bad, risking losing the player, being willing to replace them, etc. This has nothing to do with any of that. If you do a contract with them now, its probably only going to cover their arbitration years and maybe if you're lucky their first year of free agency. So the only reason to do a contract now would be to save a little money over those arbitration years where good players may win huge raises in arbitration like Miguel Cabrera did this year. I would consider doing it with Cano, but I wouldn't like doing it with a pitcher unless he was a 0% injury risk if there ever was such a thing.

You can look at it either way, the yankees with their bank account can afford to take the risk and have wang get hurt and be dead weight on the payroll, or the yankees with their big payroll can afford to take the risk and have wang get a huge payday and continue his success. :P

Either sign them now and cover their arbitration years, or sign them sometime over the next 2 or 3 years and cover a few of their early free agent years.

I do think if the Yankees are changing from the ways of the past, that they will start signing their younger talent before FA begins, but not after 1-2-3 years. They will wait for the 3rd of 4th year, at the earliest, to see what they really have.

Just my opinion.

Yes I can say that because the yankees ALWAYS do this. And it ALWAYS costs them much more money then it should. If they would've signed Jeter a year earlier it would've cost them 117 million not 192. If they would've signed Bernie a year earlier it would've cost them 55 million not 86. And on and on. They should've signed rivera 2 years ago and now he's gonna cost them at least 15 per. If they would've taken care of Pettitte then he wouldn't have went to houston. The yankees do a historically bad job with contracts.

First off, I believe the total value of Jeter's contract was 180 million, not 192. But either way, yes, it did cost them more by waiting. Same with Bernie, and I specifically recall a Yankee FO guy on Mike & the Mad Dog stating that there was some thinking about signing Bernie early, but that George was put off by the large numbers averaging some 10+ per year, and did not want to do it. It probably cost him an additional 2 years, and 20+ million when he finally did sign him.

BTW - they did sign Mo 2 years ago. And I still do not see the problem with waiting until after the season to see if a 37 year old will remain healthy, before signing him up for 2 more seasons.

It would probably cost 24 million to get him right now, so if it cost 28-30 million after the season, it is not a big deal to the Yankees. Same with the Bosox and Schilling. Smart move by both FO.

It would probably cost 24 million to get him right now, so if it cost 28-30 million after the season, it is not a big deal to the Yankees. Same with the Bosox and Schilling. Smart move by both FO.

Mo should be signed now. It's going to cost them alot more at the end of the year and lets say he gets hurt and misses the season you don't think the yankees will bring him back ANYWAY? Also he's shown ZERO signs of being on the decline and is in great shape in comparison to schilling who HAS shown clear decline and is out of shape.

At this point it makes no sense.

The Mets were smart in getting Reyes and Wright done last season. Now that the owners went on an unprecedented spending spree this off season the cost for signing Cano and Wang right now to long term deals is too high.

The Yanks should have done the deals last year.

It won't cost them more then 28-30 over 2 years. Watch and see.

If MO gets hurt, it will scare off most of his other potential suitors. The cost for the Yankees will actually be less in that senario.

SO now you're gonna nickel and dime the guy who has been the CORE of this team for 10 years? They have been underpaying him for YEARS.

At this point it makes no sense.

The Mets were smart in getting Reyes and Wright done last season. Now that the owners went on an unprecedented spending spree this off season the cost for signing Cano and Wang right now to long term deals is too high.

The Yanks should have done the deals last year.

Those two aren't even arbitration eligible yet. They'd have to sign them to 10 year deals to make it worthwhile. You don't sign guys to those contracts until they can arbitrate. You guys want to make it out like the Yanks are cheaping out and risking things with these guys when they offered both more than mandatory. I'm pretty sure Reyes and Wright were going to become arb eligible and that's why they got their deals. Reyes and Wright are also the face of the Mets while Cano and Wang are two good young players, but not exactly the guys most people think of when they think of the Yanks.

The Yanks should have paid MO simply because he deserves it. They shouldn't do anything to make they guy uncomfortable because Torre's entire HOF managerial career stems from having Mo on the roster.

It happens usually only for stars and moreso for hitters than pitchers. Wright signed his deal for 6 years after his first full year in the league, so it covered the next 2 years, then his 3 arbitration years, and then his first year of free agency. I think Reyes' deal only covers one non-arbitration year and his 3 arbitration years. Jason Bay also signed a deal like that for the Pirates, which doesn't cover any of his free agent years. But it did save them a lot of money and let them know what they would be paying so they could plan a little better.

Are you paying a player based on past performance, or are you paying him on future expectations?

Excellent point SD. Not all fans are smart enough to see the logic being applied by the Yankees here. You don't pay guys for what they've done in the past. The Yanks will get Mo signed if he proves himself worth signing. I know, a tough concept for jonny come lately, know nothing fans but a sound approach by the Yankees FO.

Excellent point SD. Not all fans are smart enough to see the logic being applied by the Yankees here. You don't pay guys for what they've done in the past. The Yanks will get Mo signed if he proves himself worth signing. I know, a tough concept for jonny come lately, know nothing fans but a sound approach by the Yankees FO.

So risk alienating one of the most important players on the team to save a few million bucks when the yankees piss that money away every day on crap. Thats smart.

Archived