Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Are the Yankees f'n crazy?

They are both entering their third year in the big leagues, but dont have two full seasons. Wang was hurt the first year and Cano came up mid season and hurt last year. After this year they get arbitration I believe, get a nice raise on a one year and then get locked up.

Wang being hurt in 2005 was not the issue. He was not called up until May, same as Cano. So both are not eligible for Arbit. until after next season.

All teams do this to their kids. Hold the line the first 2+ seasons, then go to arbitration. The Indians in teh mid-1990s did sign their kids to long term deals to save themselves from the arbitration years. Guys like Bareage, Thome, Manny, Alhomar, Nagy, Fryman, et al. It cost them a great deal the first couple of years, but saved them over the long term.

The gamble is that the kid is not a flash-in-the-pan, but a real stud. And it is hard to always tell within 2 seasons if this is true. So most teams just give the tiny contracts for the 2+ seasons, then go to arbitration for 3-4 years, then either FA, trade, or long term deal.

What the Yankees are doing to Wang and Cano is no different. Classic example - Ryan Howard, as was brought up by a previous poster.

• Upvote 1

Either sign them now and cover their arbitration years, or sign them sometime over the next 2 or 3 years and cover a few of their early free agent years.

I do think if the Yankees are changing from the ways of the past, that they will start signing their younger talent before FA begins, but not after 1-2-3 years. They will wait for the 3rd of 4th year, at the earliest, to see what they really have.

Just my opinion.

Yes I can say that because the yankees ALWAYS do this. And it ALWAYS costs them much more money then it should. If they would've signed Jeter a year earlier it would've cost them 117 million not 192. If they would've signed Bernie a year earlier it would've cost them 55 million not 86. And on and on. They should've signed rivera 2 years ago and now he's gonna cost them at least 15 per. If they would've taken care of Pettitte then he wouldn't have went to houston. The yankees do a historically bad job with contracts.

The yankees should be doing with Cano and Wang what teams like the Mets and Indians have done with their young players.

First off, I believe the total value of Jeter's contract was 180 million, not 192. But either way, yes, it did cost them more by waiting. Same with Bernie, and I specifically recall a Yankee FO guy on Mike & the Mad Dog stating that there was some thinking about signing Bernie early, but that George was put off by the large numbers averaging some 10+ per year, and did not want to do it. It probably cost him an additional 2 years, and 20+ million when he finally did sign him.

BTW - they did sign Mo 2 years ago. And I still do not see the problem with waiting until after the season to see if a 37 year old will remain healthy, before signing him up for 2 more seasons.

It would probably cost 24 million to get him right now, so if it cost 28-30 million after the season, it is not a big deal to the Yankees. Same with the Bosox and Schilling. Smart move by both FO.

It won't cost them more then 28-30 over 2 years. Watch and see.

If MO gets hurt, it will scare off most of his other potential suitors. The cost for the Yankees will actually be less in that senario.

Excellent point SD. Not all fans are smart enough to see the logic being applied by the Yankees here. You don't pay guys for what they've done in the past. The Yanks will get Mo signed if he proves himself worth signing. I know, a tough concept for jonny come lately, know nothing fans but a sound approach by the Yankees FO.

Here is a poster who "gets it". This is how teams need to approach things these days. Especially a 37 year old. Even if he is the best ever at his position.

You have to pay for past performance sometimes..especially when it's the most important player on the team..or somebody else will.

The real bottom line is that no one else will outbid teh Yankees for Mos services, if the Yankees want him.

And MO wants the Yankees. He lives in Westchester YEAR ROUND, not just during the season. He just opened a restaurant nearby, and has plans for 2 more within a year or so. And he has a burning desire to pitch in a Yankee uniform in the new stadium in 2009.

He will be here if the Yankees want him. Money (read that - respect) will not be an issue.

And for all those who say he was underpaid all these past years, after 2007 MO will have received over $84,000,000.00 in salary since 1995, from the Yankees. Not exactly a lack of respect, nor an underpayment.

If they are set to pay him whatever he wants then why the hell are they waiting? Sign him now and make this a non story. Don't make this guy hang in the wind. When he's a 1st ballot hall of famer and one of the biggest reason for this yankee run, he shouldn't have to make the same money as Carl Pavano. Mo is the 8th highest paid yankee when he is either the most or 2nd most important player on the team thats showing him a lack of respect.

You mean the yankees should give him the 2 year deal at say, 25 million total, right now. And let's say that he gets a rotor cuff injury on April 2, 2007, in the opener? What kind of smart signing was that?

Even worse, let's say they give himn teh extension, and he gets hurt in Sept. 2007, same injury. Then he misses 2 post seasons, when he really earns his money and reputation, and will be 39 when he comes back in 2009.

No thanks. Not a smart move at all. Sign him after he shows he still is healthy. The gamble is well worth it.

I never said they were under an obligation. I just said they should take take of him. You know whats good business? taking care of your most productive employees.

As long as they remain productive employees. This isn' a salesman here. A company that has a 37 year old hot-shot salesman can take care of him to a long term deal, as physical injuries are mostly unlikely for the naer-to-mid term.

But a 37 year old in Baseball? Especially a pitcher? Show me first.

You'd be LUCKY if he took 2 years 25 million. The yankees should sign him to that YESTERDAY if he'll accept it.

Even if he DOES get hurt this year the yankees will still bring him back for 08.

This is NOT the player to get cheap with.

If he gets a rotor cuff injury in Sept. 2007, they may bring him back, but it will be for a Lieber type contract, where the Yankees can walk away after 1 year if he does not recover. And the salary for that 1 year will be like 2-3 million.

No thanks. Don't offer anything now.

P.S. - 25 million gets it done now. 28-30 will get it done after the season.

Bank on it.

The majority DO have policies.

I checked this one out with folks who would have teh ability to really find out. The majority of players do not have insurance. However, there are a significant number of players that the teams have taken out insurance ploicies on. Most of these policies actually require the player to miss overwhelming majorities of the season, in order to collect. And the deductible is significant.

I could not get specifics. At least, not yet.;)

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company