JETS land Thomas Jones from Bears (MERGED 4x)

Sir Speez

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2007 is a rebuilding year, we arent winning the superbowl. There's no point in wasting high picks on a damn stop gap player, even if he is solid like Thomas Jones.

Its a decent trade. But I dont like the whole premise of it. Its just pointless to me.

Come on Barton, we need a RB while Chad is still in his prime.;)

This was a very good deal.

I don't know if i have faith in their drafting ability either so.. i'm not sure that was a positive post.

why's that? you're so down on their FA track record,but Tangini's draft record is pretty darn good. The average number of Tangini draftees to start in their rookie year is 4 ;)

why's that? you're so down on their FA track record,but Tangini's draft record is pretty darn good. The average number of Tangini draftees to start in their rookie year is 4 ;)

the draft record is decent not great. the only truly great pick was mangold and everyone had him going to us anyway.

add Marc Columbo at RT and we may have the best RB corps in the division-this could be HUGE guys and anybody who says the championship is OUT is crazy or doesn't understand the game of football circa 2007

Dude, comeon now. The defense is definitely not even close for a legitimate Super Bowl run and we still have Noodle Arm sitting there at Quarterback. Thank god he now has a legitimate starting #1 running back to hand the ball off to so that should help some but he still makes stupid mistakes in most big games, mostly playoff games.

Oh and our 1-2 punch of Jones & Washington isn't as good as Maroney & Morris, sorry.

If you don't think they can get starters at 63 then you have no faith in their drafting ability.

Fact: Most 2nd rds bust. The lower you get in the draft, the more likely you get a player who doesnt produce.

37 is a valuable pick. Almost a 1st rd. 63 is practically a 3rd rd pick.

And until the Jets continue to produce good drafts, I wont have blind faith in them. Last year was last year, they have no real track record yet.

Come on guys, no one here should say this is a bad trade. Moving 26 spots down and getting a RB that started in the superbowl. He is very smart and is exactly what the Jets need. Great move.

This post says it all. We slide down 26 spots and land a solid starting RB. Very good move by Jets brass.

Also, why are people acting like the 37th overall pick is the holy grail of all picks.

....And realistically we were NOT landing A.Peterson via trade.

Dude, comeon now. The defense is definitely not even close for a legitimate Super Bowl run and we still have Noodle Arm sitting there at Quarterback. Thank god he now has a legitimate starting #1 running back to hand the ball off to so that should help some but he still makes stupid mistakes in most big games, mostly playoff games.

Oh and our 1-2 punch of Jones & Washington isn't as good as Maroney & Morris, sorry.

Although I agree that we are not close, I do think we can definately close the gap with the next 2 years. It would help if Clemens is at least a solid NFL starter.

....Maroney is a beast. And will be around for a while....unfortunately.

Fact: Most 2nd rds bust. The lower you get in the draft, the more likely you get a player who doesnt produce.

37 is a valuable pick. Almost a 1st rd. 63 is practically a 3rd rd pick.

And until the Jets continue to produce good drafts, I wont have blind faith in them. Last year was last year, they have no real track record yet.

Thats the same thing you were bashing me for saying yesterday lol.

This post says it all. We slide down 26 spots and land a solid starting RB. Very good move by Jets brass.

Also, why are people acting like the 37th overall pick is the holy grail of all picks.

....And realistically we were NOT landing A.Peterson via trade.

Your right, nor were we going to get Lynch even if he was at the 25th spot. I heard he is a complete a-hole and sometimes might get in trouble. Jones was the best option we had and we took it.

wait a minute 124 Mulroney 175-745 Morris 92-400 are better than.....

Leon Washington 151-650 and Thomas Jones 296-1210???????

Thats the same thing you were bashing me for saying yesterday lol.

No, I told you there is no point in signing 30 yr old LBs to huge contracts when this team is far off from a SB.

I still say that we are far off from a SB. Acquiring a 29yr old running back is just as pointless as signing a 30 yrd old LB to a huge contract.

Why? Because this damn team aint winning JACK SH&* until we get a QB in here, and that wont be happening for another few years (and thats if Clemens even pants out!)

This move makes us better in 2007. But what about after that, 4 years down the road. NOTHING.

For those that are intrested Football Outsiders has jones as the 11th ranked RB in the NFL last year...

And that is true. When Grossman a.k.a the most inconsistent QB I have ever seen had bad games who pushed the offense ? THOMAS JONES

shocking that people are upset for giving up a high second rounder for a rb that isn't that old that rushed for over 1200 yards and still got a second round pick in return. Not to mention I really believe that we are going to see more movement from the jets with our 2 second round picks.

2007 is a rebuilding year, we arent winning the superbowl. There's no point in wasting high picks on a damn stop gap player, even if he is solid like Thomas Jones.

Its a decent trade. But I dont like the whole premise of it. Its just pointless to me.

we are not in rebuilding mode. we are in pursuit from here on out. we went 10-6 last year...there is no reason to believe we won't improve. especially with a running back now.

jones and washington sounds good to me.

No, I told you there is no point in signing 30 yr old LBs to huge contracts when this team is far off from a SB.

I still say that we are far off from a SB. Acquiring a 29yr old running back is just as pointless as signing a 30 yrd old LB to a huge contract.

Why? Because this damn team aint winning JACK SH&* until we get a QB in here, and that wont be happening for another few years (and thats if Clemens even pants out!)

This move makes us better in 2007. But what about after that, 4 years down the road. NOTHING.

I never advocated signing any 30 year old RB's to huge contracts.

I'm gonna hold back harsh criticism until I see what contract we sign him too, as reports are that we are now renogotiating his deal (that he wasnt happy about w/the bears)

Look, its a nice trade, sure. But Jones is not a long term answer.

shocking that people are upset for giving up a high second rounder for a rb that isn't that old that rushed for over 1200 yards and still got a second round pick in return. Not to mention I really believe that we are going to see more movement from the jets with our 2 second round picks.

Agreed.

I don't understand how anybody here thought we were getting someone better? You trade down in the second round and pick up a work horse running back who is a great reciever out of the backfield and besides his little hop step that sometimes gets him hit behind the line he is a very solid all around running back.

NYJ recieve: RB Thomas Jones & 2007 2nd round pick (63rd overall)

&

CHI recieve: 2007 2nd round pick (37th overall)

Decent move, not really excited at all though. My attitude hasn't changed and I'm actually more pissed than pleased that we'd give up a Top 40 pick for a 29 year old running back. I guess we'll see in due time.

Thomas Jones, very good back but he is 29 and who knows if he's just a product of that very good Chicago Offensive Line. I'd rather have a 22 year old rookie, we'll see what happens.

Actually your attitude has changed. ;)

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31749

I don't believe we are in the rebuilding mode either. We went to the playoffs and had a slim yes I said slim chance on winning the division. Not to mention we have been drafting really well as of late.

staying in denial wont make the jets competitors. we are rebuilding no matter which way you look at it. we have a new regime and a shake up of our FO. thats rebuilding

Are you really serious about calling 2007 a rebuilding year???

If this is a rebuilding year then in 2006 we must have been an expansion team!

Sorry Chad you have your opinion and I have mine. I don't think a team that makes the playoffs is rebuilding and I'm not in any kind of denial. I am very grounded on were my team is at. Even with the tougher schedule I think we still have a great chance to make the playoffs.

Chicago having a good line is different than the Colts having a good line. Nobody stacks the box and dares manning to throw, everyone dares Rex to throw. TJ will be a great back for us for 2-3 years, i think this was a great move.

I don't understand how some people can diss this trade so much. It was a good trade. We moved down in the 2nd round and got a good RB who should have at least 2 good years in him. He is a feature back. He's not a gamebreaker but he's a good back and will get you 1200-1300 yards for at least 2 more years. I'll take that in exchange for moving down in the 2nd round.

On top of that this draft has very good depth at the positions we are weak at so its not even that big a deal to move down. The 37th pick was a good pick but we should be able to get similar value later in the 2nd.

Trading up for Peterson was a dream that wasn't gonna happen. We would've had to give up our entire draft to move up that high and thats just not worth it for someone who argueably isn't even the best player in the draft. It isn't even worth it if he was hands down the best player in the draft unless we only had 1 or 2 holes, which we obviously don't. The only posible way to trade up that high was giving up Vilma, anyway, even though I'd be against it (unless it was something ludicrous like Vilma for #2 straight up).

If we had given up 37 for Jones straight up I'd be pissed, but getting back their 2nd rounder makes this a good trade. I'll ask what's the big deal about moving down in the 2nd round to improve our running game dramatically with a proven commodity?

Archived