Jets closing in on Kenyon Coleman

AFJF

Per NY Daily News

OH, 'BOY: The Jets were closing in on a deal last night with former Cowboys DE Kenyon Coleman. His agent, Jordan Woy, said in an e-mail, "We are still talking, but it is looking very good." ... DE David Bowens (Dolphins) also visited the Jets yesterday. QB Marques Tuiasosopo (Raiders) is scheduled to arrive later in the week. ... FB Darian Barnes (Dolphins) arrives today

Coleman is listed on NFL.com as a 6' 5'' 295lb DE..can he be any worse than Kimo was? Played in all 16 games last season with 30 tackles and 4 sacks.

Kimo's stats from last year as a starter.

Stat OverviewTacklesMiscInterceptionsSPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD20062818101.00000000.0001Career3542688626.5287741000.00014

I haven't really heard too much about Coleman but he had a better year then Kimo did. I hope if we sign Coleman that doesn't mean we won't still draft a de.

From what I've read about Coleman , he's not real full time starter material. Good backup than can play in a rotation situation.

Parcells loved Coleman and he actually benched former first rounder Marcus Spears in favor of him. He is a hard worker and is a solid DE. This would be a great pick up. Not to mention he had as many sacks as Richard Seymour and didn't even start til the middle of the season

Parcells loved Coleman and he actually benched former first rounder Marcus Spears in favor of him. He is a hard worker and is a solid DE. This would be a great pick up. Not to mention he had as many sacks as Richard Seymour and didn't even start til the middle of the season

I remember hearing some Parcells talk about Coleman when the Jints played the Boys this season. But personally, i would rather Bowens. He is not a guy with any great stats, but he always seems to be in the mmiddle of the play against te Jets.

I think that was more of a motivational tactic on Parcells' part, but Coleman is a solid hard-working guy. He's the type of blue collar player that ends up in the HOF when all is siad and done b/c he increases his level of play each year. Get this guy on the cheap and watch him progress! He'll be like our very own Chia Pet!

I think that was more of a motivational tactic on Parcells' part, but Coleman is a solid hard-working guy. He's the type of blue collar player that ends up in the HOF when all is siad and done b/c he increases his level of play each year. Get this guy on the cheap and watch him progress! He'll be like our very own Chia Pet!

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks

2002 Oakland Raiders 1 1 1.0

2003 Dallas Cowboys 16 14 10.0 4 1

2004 Dallas Cowboys 12 9 9.0 0 1

2005 Dallas Cowboys 12 14 8.0 6 0.5

2006 Dallas Cowboys 16 30 25.0 5 4 (Pass Def): 2

TOTAL 57 68 53.0 15 6.5 2

Here are his stats to back up my theory; pay attention to total tackles and sacks. Nice progression if you ask me, especially if he can be had for back-up money...

In the 3-4, Coleman would play DE and Bowens would play OLB. No way Mangini puts a 265-lb DE on a 3-man line.

Watch closely. This is EXACTLY what the Pats did. Get players in there who CAN play. If you can upgrade from them in the draft, awesome. If not, at least you're not forced to reach at a position of need (particularly in round 1) for a player who should be drafted 20 slots lower.

And trading down into round 2 to theoretically grab the same player doesn't always work out. First, you have to find a trade partner. Second, you only get the player for 4 years instead of 5. Meaning you're likely extending him after only 3 years. With the skyrocketing prices of non-rookies, I'd rather keep a rookie for as long as possible.

But this is like NE grabbing Otis Smith, Roman Phifer, Bryan Cox, etc. Hardly high-profile FA's in their prime when they went to NE. But they were players you could still put in there for a couple of years so you can address other positions where you've got absolutely nothing. And they're cheap enough that you could stomach replacing with a younger guy & keeping the vet around for depth, even if it's only after a year or two.

In the 3-4, Coleman would play DE and Bowens would play OLB. No way Mangini puts a 265-lb DE on a 3-man line.

Watch closely. This is EXACTLY what the Pats did. Get players in there who CAN play. If you can upgrade from them in the draft, awesome. If not, at least you're not forced to reach at a position of need (particularly in round 1) for a player who should be drafted 20 slots lower.

And trading down into round 2 to theoretically grab the same player doesn't always work out. First, you have to find a trade partner. Second, you only get the player for 4 years instead of 5. Meaning you're likely extending him after only 3 years. With the skyrocketing prices of non-rookies, I'd rather keep a rookie for as long as possible.

But this is like NE grabbing Otis Smith, Roman Phifer, Bryan Cox, etc. Hardly high-profile FA's in their prime when they went to NE. But they were players you could still put in there for a couple of years so you can address other positions where you've got absolutely nothing. And they're cheap enough that you could stomach replacing with a younger guy & keeping the vet around for depth, even if it's only after a year or two.

so you think bowens can play olb in the 3-4? i asked this question before and a few people didn't think he would be able to. i would hope that is what they are looking for.

so you think bowens can play olb in the 3-4? i asked this question before and a few people didn't think he would be able to. i would hope that is what they are looking for.

You were right. A 265-lb DE in the 3-4 makes no sense whatsoever. But it's the perfectl size for an OLB in the 3-4. Big enough to not get engulfed or pushed around by OLmen or FB's, and he can get to the passer.

I remember hearing some Parcells talk about Coleman when the Jints played the Boys this season. But personally, i would rather Bowens. He is not a guy with any great stats, but he always seems to be in the mmiddle of the play against te Jets.

I want them both MB-Bowens would prolly play that same position as BT on the other side and also some DE Coleman is a straight up DE

Watch closely. This is EXACTLY what the Pats did. Get players in there who CAN play. If you can upgrade from them in the draft, awesome. If not, at least you're not forced to reach at a position of need (particularly in round 1) for a player who should be drafted 20 slots lower

Great point! The Parcells, Belichick and now Mangini way is to rotate the LB's that is why he wants versitile players. I don't think Bowens will just play OLB. I think each LB will play all positions and give different looks to confuse the opposition. This is why I think Vilma might be on his way out. He can't really play all LB positions. Anthony Spencer, Lamarr Woodley would fit that mold.

I read Parcell's Biography by Bill Gutman and he explained how Belichick rotated all LB's against the 49'ers in 86'. And that confused Montana. LT would be on the inside, Carson on the outside. And this will be the Mangini way..Big Fast Versitile LB's

Great point! The Parcells, Belichick and now Mangini way is to rotate the LB's that is why he wants versitile players. I don't think Bowens will just play OLB. I think each LB will play all positions and give different looks to confuse the opposition. This is why I think Vilma might be on his way out. He can't really play all LB positions. Anthony Spencer, Lamarr Woodley would fit that mold.

I read Parcell's Biography by Bill Gutman and he explained how Belichick rotated all LB's against the 49'ers in 86'. And that confused Montana. LT would be on the inside, Carson on the outside. And this will be the Mangini way..Big Fast Versitile LB's

...and Schlegel. ;)

As Sperm said, in a 34 Coleman would take over for Kimo as Kimo would take the back burner and be a clubhouse leader who will take over the Bobby Hamilton 06 role in 07. David Bowns then at 6'3, 265 would rush the passer at OLB which to me means this:

Either Jonathan Vilma is on his way out or David Bowens will be a situational pass rusher as Hobson will play on 1st and 2nd down and Bowens will be in on 3rd downs.

Good point. This is why we need a RT. It is mandatory that there at least be another tackle on the roster or we'll be drafting from need with a whopping hole on the right side.

As Sperm said, in a 34 Coleman would take over for Kimo as Kimo would take the back burner and be a clubhouse leader who will take over the Bobby Hamilton 06 role in 07. David Bowns then at 6'3, 265 would rush the passer at OLB which to me means this:

Either Jonathan Vilma is on his way out or David Bowens will be a situational pass rusher as Hobson will play on 1st and 2nd down and Bowens will be in on 3rd downs.

I don't think this will have anything to do with Vilma. As you said, I see Bowens as a situational pass rusher and we'll probably be in the 4-3 when he's in. Anything we get from him at OLB is gravy. Then again, I thought Schlegel would at least be a competent short yardage LB.

Jones Update

By Tom Rock

Just a brief posting: The Jets have announced a press conference for 4 p.m. today with Thomas Jones and Mike Tannenbaum, about as close to confirmation on the deal as we'll get until that time. Apparently Jones has not pulled a Lee Suggs and flunked his physical. Haven't heard about the numbers on the contract yet. I'll post an update when we get off the phone with the principles.

Also, just got this email from Jordan Woy, the agent for Kenyon Coleman: "Very close. We are still going through a few items." So there could be that announcement made today as well.

Jones Update

By Tom Rock

Just a brief posting: The Jets have announced a press conference for 4 p.m. today with Thomas Jones and Mike Tannenbaum, about as close to confirmation on the deal as we'll get until that time. Apparently Jones has not pulled a Lee Suggs and flunked his physical. Haven't heard about the numbers on the contract yet. I'll post an update when we get off the phone with the principles.

Also, just got this email from Jordan Woy, the agent for Kenyon Coleman: "Very close. We are still going through a few items." So there could be that announcement made today as well.

welcome to the site Will

I think Bowens would need to be a backup (4-3 pass rusher) type...

I think Tangini is set at OLD with Thomas and Hobson, thats why you saw no run at Thomas or Porter...

2006 Stats

V Hobson

100 Tackles - 6 sacks - 1INT (for a TD) - 2 fumble recoveries

B Thomas

77 Tackles - 8.5 sacks - 0 INT - 1 fumble recovery

I dont think Hobson is going anywhere, neither is Thomas.

Dont know how this would effect Vilma either, I dont see anyone taking his spot on the D either...

At 6'5, 295, Kenyon Coleman would take over as the 34 RDE in Kimo von Oldoften's spot and Kimo would assume the role of Bobby Hamilton's in 06 as a primary back-up / clubhouse inspiration as a guy whose been there and won a Super Bowl.

At 6'5, 295, Kenyon Coleman would take over as the 34 RDE in Kimo von Oldoften's spot and Kimo would assume the role of Bobby Hamilton's in 06 as a primary back-up / clubhouse inspiration as a guy whose been there and won a Super Bowl.

Sorry I meant to say I dont knwo where Bowens would fit.

As for Coleman I would LOVE to have him on our team.

The New York Jets announced today the signing of defensive end Kenyon Coleman to a contract. The announcement was made by Jets’ General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. “Kenyon Coleman is a physical defensive lineman and we like his size and strength up front,” Tannenbaum said. “He has experience playing the 3-4 defense and we’re looking forward to having him be a part of our organization.”

Sorry I meant to say I dont knwo where Bowens would fit.

As for Coleman I would LOVE to have him on our team.

Bowens would come in on Nickel situations / 43 situations and obvious passing downs so that Victor can hit the sidelines for a play or two can catch some air, or so I would think that would be the most likely scenario.

Archived