Jets could trade for 2nd pick

Jetme23

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree.

A player like Johnson makes an average QB look better. He can catch all the underthrows and jump balls. If it's one thing that Coles & Cotchery aren't, it's tall.

that's a good perspective and i can see both sides of the issue. i certainly won't be bashing you or your point of view.

ps: if we had the #2 pick i'd probably be for it but we have to give up a lot to move up that far. the question for us isn't "is cj worth a number two", it's "is he worth vilma and our first rounder and whatever else and the gigantic contract we sign him to."

I hear ya SJ but this kid is worth it ,He is a freak and we won't see anyone like him prolly for years to come

and...he also creates more mismatch trouble against our main rival's smurf DB contingent-just like Jerricho does-look at his numbers against NE this year....

Yo 420 pass that L bro ;)

Sorry, I don't have a strong arm.. And Why would I want to pass someone I like, an L? An L?? That means LOSS right?? (in that new hip hop slang yoo yo yo lango) :cool0019: :cool0019: :cool0019:

or just Blazed and coming up with sh!t lol

Me??? Never........... :bump: :bump:

L.IMike you go to any Jets games during the season bro?

I disagree.

A player like Johnson makes an average QB look better. He can catch all the underthrows and jump balls. If it's one thing that Coles & Cotchery aren't, it's tall.

The idea is to have a QB that makes his Receivers look better, not the other way around.

Who's to say that the Jets would stay at number two, should they make the move up there (which I think, at this point, would be far too expensive for the Jets)? They could make a killing by trading the number two and move into that 5-12 range and get an Alan Branch or someone else they need.

Who's to say that the Jets would stay at number two, should they make the move up there (which I think, at this point, would be far too expensive for the Jets)? They could make a killing by trading the number two and move into that 5-12 range and get an Alan Branch or someone else they need.

That would be an awsome idea, if it could pan out. The problem is, teams need to have a serious need for that #2 spot, the Jets had that need last year, but didn't want to cough up both 1st rounders.

what team would trade 2 first rounders for the #2 this year?

Calvin Johnson would be able to do the folling things that our current WR's can't:

1) Go up for balls that are thrown deep.

2) Provide a big target over the middle.

3) Provide a size mismatch in the red zone.

To say he would not make Chad better is not true. A great WR can make any QB look better. Look no further than Culpepper, Brad Johnson, and Steve Young to name a few.

Calvin Johnson would be able to do the folling things that our current WR's can't:

1) Go up for balls that are thrown deep.

2) Provide a big target over the middle.

3) Provide a size mismatch in the red zone.

To say he would not make Chad better is not true. A great WR can make any QB look better. Look no further than Culpepper, Brad Johnson, and Steve Young to name a few.

Cotch can do the first two, and not that bad at the 3rd. Receivers are fine, if you want to play cotch/coles in the slot...wow

Cotch can do the first two, and not that bad at the 3rd. Receivers are fine, if you want to play cotch/coles in the slot...wow

Hi my name is Mangenious Marley... I would just like to know if we like the same Jets team. Because the one I like has a guy named Cotch who barley cracks 6 feet tall.

Cotch can to a certain extent - but this guy is 6'5" and has a 45 inch verticle. That is out of this world numbers.

Hi my name is Mangenious Marley... I would just like to know if we like the same Jets team. Because the one I like has a guy named Cotch who barley cracks 6 feet tall.

Same guy that continuly grabs the ball over CB's right? See the TD with, everyones favorite Asante, in the second game against NE.

Same guy that continuly grabs the ball over CB's right? See the TD with, everyones favorite Asante, in the second game against NE.

Why does every Jets fan in America use that game???????

That was the first time we beat them in like 3 years.

And We beat them on a s*tty field which helped our chances.

is this a trick question? because we're jets fans and we won.

Agree, and I love the Jets like everyone else does. But that game took half of our fan base and made them feel like we somehow are if not better atleast on the same level as the Pats.. Which I think you know Johnny isn't true. Do you think we would have won that game against New England if the weather wasen't half as bad?

Agree, and I love the Jets like everyone else does. But that game took half of our fan base and made them feel like we somehow are if not better atleast on the same level as the Pats.. Which I think you know Johnny isn't true. Do you think we would have won that game against New England if the weather wasen't half as bad?

i don't work for TruGreen so i can't comment on how the turf affected one team more than the other but it did show the pats can be beat at home and that we have a coach who, even with subpar talent, can bring home a W against a hated rival in terrible conditions. so ya, it made me feel optimistic.

so you are saying that the field helped us but hurt them? I'm pretty sure we all played on the same turf. I can't stand people that have to put in disclaimers. Do I think we are as good as the Pats on a daily basis, of course not. Do I think we have a chance to beat them when we line up against, Hell yeah. If you don't then you don't belong on the field. If you ever played a sport you would know that.

I thought the idea was to score more points than the other team. Silly me.

It had nothing to do with us winning, only that Cotch had good yards, and went up for a ball for a TD...he's a great target in the red zone, grabbing another receiver would make us like every other chump team that builds from the outside in...lions, cardinals, dolphins

That would be an awsome idea, if it could pan out. The problem is, teams need to have a serious need for that #2 spot, the Jets had that need last year, but didn't want to cough up both 1st rounders.

what team would trade 2 first rounders for the #2 this year?

Teams that are picking in the top five also have alot of holes... but say an Arizona who's infatuated with Joe Thomas? Mr. Thomas meet the Cards. Cards, meet the Jets price or else they'll let him go to Cleveland.

The idea is to have a QB that makes his Receivers look better, not the other way around.

It had nothing to do with us winning, only that Cotch had good yards, and went up for a ball for a TD...he's a great target in the red zone, grabbing another receiver would make us like every other chump team that builds from the outside in...lions, cardinals, dolphins

Your quote was a shot at Pennington. I don't care if the wr makes the qb look better or the qb makes the wr look better. If it nothing to do with us winning I don't give a **** about it. I don't care if the qb can only poot 4 yard passes out of his ass if they put points on the board. I think adding CJ will help us put more points on the board more than any other player, despite our decent wrs and weak armed qb. You have a point about building from the lines up, but if you trade up to #2 it had better be to pick the best player. CJ seems to be the best wr prospect in my memory. Like Keyshawn only he .25 faster in the 40 and a better leaper.

The only way the New York Jets get Calvin Johnson is if they trade #25 overall, Jonathan Vilma & Laveranues Coles. There is no chance in hell that the Jets would carry Johnson, Coles & Cotchery and Cotchery would not be the odd man out among the 2 current starters seeing as he is just 24 and just coming into his own.

Realize that please fellow Jets fans, just realize it. Are you willing to do that? If so then okay and lets see what happens. If not, start re-thinking. I wouldn't be pissed off if the Jets did that but many of you I'm assuming would be. The only guy in the Top 10 I'd like to trade up for now are because they are positions of need if we were to trade up in the Top 10 because Vilma would be in that trade if we did so and that's Alan Branch and Gaines Adams.

Gaines Adams is still one of my favorite guys as we could trade into Arizona's or Minnesota's spot to select him. Vilma could do wonders in Minnesota with the Williams duo infront of him and him placed back into the 43. Hobson would then switch to the inside and Gaines Adams would be our new 34 OLB to team up with Bryan Thomas. This is my favorite trade scenario.

The only way the New York Jets get Calvin Johnson is if they trade #25 overall, Jonathan Vilma & Laveranues Coles. There is no chance in hell that the Jets would carry Johnson, Coles & Cotchery and Cotchery would not be the odd man out among the 2 current starters seeing as he is just 24 and just coming into his own.

Realize that please fellow Jets fans, just realize it. Are you willing to do that? If so then okay and lets see what happens. If not, start re-thinking. I wouldn't be pissed off if the Jets did that but many of you I'm assuming would be. The only guy in the Top 10 I'd like to trade up for now are because they are positions of need if we were to trade up in the Top 10 because Vilma would be in that trade if we did so and that's Alan Branch and Gaines Adams.

Gaines Adams is still one of my favorite guys as we could trade into Arizona's or Minnesota's spot to select him. Vilma could do wonders in Minnesota with the Williams duo infront of him and him placed back into the 43. Hobson would then switch to the inside and Gaines Adams would be our new 34 OLB to team up with Bryan Thomas. This is my favorite trade scenario.

Not a bad trade scenario at all 124 ,That would be a draft day to remeber.

Just saw this:

"Meanwhile, there were unconfirmed rumors that the Jets were thinking of swapping their first pick, 25th overall, and a defensive starter, to the Lions for the second overall pick."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/SPORTS01/703050373/1108

... just thought Id post it.

I realize it's farfetched, but the premise of this whole thread was the #25 and a "defensive starter." See first quote. It said nothing about Coles or any other player. We all assume it's Vilma because he is the only one we can see trading that has that kind of value. I suppose it could be Rhodes, but either way I'd probably pull the trigger.

I realize it's farfetched, but the premise of this whole thread was the #25 and a "defensive starter." See first quote. It said nothing about Coles or any other player. We all assume it's Vilma because he is the only one we can see trading that has that kind of value. I suppose it could be Rhodes, but either way I'd probably pull the trigger.

Rhodes I would not trade and I don't think that Detroit would take just Vilma and the 25 for #2 overall, no way. Millen may be dumb but I don't think he is that dumb.

Either way, even if he is, Laveranues Coles would NOT be kept, I can guarentee you that.

Your quote was a shot at Pennington. I don't care if the wr makes the qb look better or the qb makes the wr look better. If it nothing to do with us winning I don't give a **** about it. I don't care if the qb can only poot 4 yard passes out of his ass if they put points on the board. I think adding CJ will help us put more points on the board more than any other player, despite our decent wrs and weak armed qb. You have a point about building from the lines up, but if you trade up to #2 it had better be to pick the best player. CJ seems to be the best wr prospect in my memory. Like Keyshawn only he .25 faster in the 40 and a better leaper.

The argument wasn't about Wins.

It was about WR's that can go up and get a ball, and be a precence in the red zone. cotch can do both, i'm not sure what stats you will use to say that he is not a good target.

You never actually answered who you put into the slot if you draft your G-Tech boy. If you are so concerned about Jet wins, maybe you would consider getting the D and O line to respectability.

Rhodes I would not trade and I don't think that Detroit would take just Vilma and the 25 for #2 overall, no way. Millen may be dumb but I don't think he is that dumb.

Either way, even if he is, Laveranues Coles would NOT be kept, I can guarentee you that.

That's ok... I don't think the plan would be to trade up and keep the pick. I'm sure they've got something else planned. Even at that, who's to say they wouldn't take a DE or whatever at number two... just to get what they want.

And I think the Lions have no intrest in Coles, just as an FYI. I mean, they just gutted their entire defense. So they're not in win now mode.

And I think the Lions have no intrest in Coles, just as an FYI. I mean, they just gutted their entire defense. So they're not in win now mode.

True but if our plan was to select Calvin Johnson, Laveranues Coles would be traded somewhere. He will not be a New York Jet in 2007 if the Jets move up to #2 and select Calvin Johnson.

Archived