Current Cap Space

NY Jets Guy

We don't have the year-by-year breakdown yet for everyone (will be on nflpa.org soon enough). Should still be in the neighborhood of $10-15M cap space this year. Most new signings (other than mega-deals) get the league minimum as their base salary in year one. So use a ballpark of $800K as the salary & divide the SB by the # of years.

T.Jones: $12M SB over 4 yrs = $3M/yr + $800K salary = $3.8M

K.Coleman: $~6.5M SB over 5 years = $1.2M/yr + $800K salary = $2M

Cotchery: $10M SB over 5 years = $2M/yr + $800K salary = $2.8M

Hamilton: $0 SB + $800K salary = $0.8M

--------------

$10M less cap space

We also released:

Teague ($700K) and Blaylock ($-700K) cancel each other out

Ramsey (don't know exactly, but figure ~$2M+. We gave him a $500K SB last year so $250K hits this year, but we avoided a $1.6M RB and his base salary).

Barlow ($2.9M)

Hamilton ($1.5M)

----------------

$6-7M additional cap space

Before all this we were about $20M under the cap. So we should have about $15M left at least. Don't know where Cimini & others are getting their #'s from saying we have less, but when he listed how much we saved by cutting Barlow he got it wrong. Then he corrected that error himself the next day and still got it wrong.

So somewhere around $15M. If they did some other restructuring that we don't know about to alleviate future hits it could be less.

However, we're going to get some cap relief (figure around $4-5M) if Martin retires after June 1st (will still leave $2-3M dead space for '08).

Also, trading JMac now (as Cimini says we're shopping him around) saves about $1M more (no dead cap space next year; we take it all in '07).

If, as Cimini also suggested, Barton is on the trading block, it would be before the draft (before June 1st). So we would realize between $1.5-2.0M in savings for him (with no future dead cap space).

Barrett would be either $2M or $3.5M in more space if he's released; the latter # would be if after June 1 and would leave $1.5M dead space in '08. I haven't heard anything about us looking to trade or release him, but I can't believe they'd keep a backup CB on the roster with a $4.4M cap # when releasing him provides a minimum of $2M in immediate cap relief. We may just be keeping him around until the draft, in case we don't land a corner on day one.

As it is, if you want to cut the difference with Cimini's & my estimates, say we have $12-13M in space right now. JMac, Barton, Martin, and Barrett (all off the team before 6/1 though that is unlikely) brings it to around $20M with no dead space next year. Any of them retiring/getting released/getting traded after 6/1 would clear up additional space in '07, but whatever additional space we get this year would count against next year's cap, dollar for dollar.

We don't have the year-by-year breakdown yet for everyone (will be on nflpa.org soon enough). Should still be in the neighborhood of $10-15M cap space this year. Most new signings (other than mega-deals) get the league minimum as their base salary in year one. So use a ballpark of $800K as the salary & divide the SB by the # of years.

T.Jones: $12M SB over 4 yrs = $3M/yr + $800K salary = $3.8M

K.Coleman: $~6.5M SB over 5 years = $1.2M/yr + $800K salary = $2M

Cotchery: $10M SB over 5 years = $2M/yr + $800K salary = $2.8M

Hamilton: $0 SB + $800K salary = $0.8M

--------------

$10M less cap space

We also released:

Teague ($700K) and Blaylock ($-700K) cancel each other out

Ramsey (don't know exactly, but figure ~$2M+. We gave him a $500K SB last year so $250K hits this year, but we avoided a $1.6M RB and his base salary).

Barlow ($2.9M)

Hamilton ($1.5M)

----------------

$6-7M additional cap space

Before all this we were about $20M under the cap. So we should have about $15M left at least. Don't know where Cimini & others are getting their #'s from saying we have less, but when he listed how much we saved by cutting Barlow he got it wrong. Then he corrected that error himself the next day and still got it wrong.

So somewhere around $15M. If they did some other restructuring that we don't know about to alleviate future hits it could be less.

However, we're going to get some cap relief (figure around $4-5M) if Martin retires after June 1st (will still leave $2-3M dead space for '08).

Also, trading JMac now (as Cimini says we're shopping him around) saves about $1M more (no dead cap space next year; we take it all in '07).

If, as Cimini also suggested, Barton is on the trading block, it would be before the draft (before June 1st). So we would realize between $1.5-2.0M in savings for him (with no future dead cap space).

Barrett would be either $2M or $3.5M in more space if he's released; the latter # would be if after June 1 and would leave $1.5M dead space in '08. I haven't heard anything about us looking to trade or release him, but I can't believe they'd keep a backup CB on the roster with a $4.4M cap # when releasing him provides a minimum of $2M in immediate cap relief. We may just be keeping him around until the draft, in case we don't land a corner on day one.

As it is, if you want to cut the difference with Cimini's & my estimates, say we have $12-13M in space right now. JMac, Barton, Martin, and Barrett (all off the team before 6/1 though that is unlikely) brings it to around $20M with no dead space next year. Any of them retiring/getting released/getting traded after 6/1 would clear up additional space in '07, but whatever additional space we get this year would count against next year's cap, dollar for dollar.

Thanks for the break down. Looks like we still have plently of room to make some good FA moves.

Our next signing should be either Nick Harper or Columbo.

I'm not ga-ga over Harper, but if we go that route: whatever his contract is, lower his net cap # by $2M this year and by $4.5M/yr in '08 and '09. This is what we'll save by cutting Barrett, which we certainly would if we added another CB in FA.

I'm not ga-ga over Harper, but if we go that route: whatever his contract is, lower his net cap # by $2M this year and by $4.5M/yr in '08 and '09. This is what we'll save by cutting Barrett, which we certainly would if we added another CB in FA.

I know you don't believe me... :) but Chad's incentives were NLTBE, so you've got between 3m and 6m more coming off.

I know you don't believe me... :) but Chad's incentives were NLTBE, so you've got between 3m and 6m more coming off.

Of course it's more than possible. I looked at the CBA online but couldn't find the clause that stated how playing-time incentives are worked. If you find it I'd be interested.

Of course it's more than possible. I looked at the CBA online but couldn't find the clause that stated how playing-time incentives are worked. If you find it I'd be interested.

I think Chads #'s for 07' are as follows...

$1,900,000 Base

$3,000,000 SB

$2,000,000 Roster Bonus

Total - $6,900,000

I think Chads #'s for 07' are as follows...

$1,900,000 Base

$3,000,000 SB

$2,000,000 Roster Bonus

Total - $6,900,000

Well if Edgy is right, then add another $6M in NLTBE incentives Chad reached by actually starting over 10-11 games. That would bring Chad's 2007 cap # to $12,900,000 AND we burned a 2nd-round pick on a QB last year because of him. What a friggin' rip-off.

Well if Edgy is right, then add another $6M in NLTBE incentives Chad reached by actually starting over 10-11 games. That would bring Chad's 2007 cap # to $12,900,000 AND we burned a 2nd-round pick on a QB last year because of him. What a friggin' rip-off.

That 2 million roster bonus is the "incentives" Im alomst positive...

Did you see that Drob is going to make almost 9 million next season... I think I just threw up in my mouth....

Yeah, we gave him a $2M RB last week. It was the last installment of his bonus money. $23M total bonuses on $64M. $18M was up front SB. He got a $3M RB this time last year, and $2M RB last week.

Did you see that Drob is going to make almost 9 million next season... I think I just threw up in my mouth....

I only mention it like every day. He doesn't make $9M. He makes $7M. The rest is amortized SB.

Yeah, we gave him a $2M RB last week. It was the last installment of his bonus money. $23M total bonuses on $64M. $18M was up front SB. He got a $3M RB this time last year, and $2M RB last week.

I only mention it like every day. He doesn't make $9M. He makes $7M. The rest is amortized SB.

We really should look into trading him... Im sure they have... but wow thats a lot of cash on a ill-suited NT... he is going to need all that cash to fix his knees when he is 30...

who would you replace him with?

Not sure, but Im sure our FO would know who to get...

We also have moore and pouha on the roster... there are 1 or 2 FA NT's out there I dont know much about...

I know there isnt much out there, but with Drob not being anything special last year and making the most money on the team... thats not right... lol

DRob has no chance of being cut this year, barring something unusual like a much-higher-than-expected draft pick being offered for him.

His cap #'s:

2007: $4.6M ($2.5M salary; $2.1M amortized SB)

cut before 6/1: $6.3M (additional hit of $1.7M)

cut after 6/1: $2.1M (savings of $2.5M; $4.2M dead cap space in '08)

2008: $8.9M ($6.9M salary; $2.1M amortized SB)

cut before 6/1: $4.2M (savings of $4.7M)

cut after 6/1: $2.1M (savings of $6.8M; $2.1M dead cap space in '09)

2009: $6.6M ($4.5M salary; $2.1M amortized SB)

cut before 6/1 & after 6/1 is same: $2.1M ($4.5M savings; no dead cap space in '10)

He's going nowhere this year; he costs more to cut than keep, we have no replacement lined up for him, and there is no one available in FA or available to us in the draft who would be better in 2007. Even if such a FA existed, there would be a premium on that player's services and would be mega-expensive to sign. So we'd have $6.3M in dead space from DRob plus the additional cap space of the FA. Not happening.

2008 is a different story. I find it difficult to believe we would keep him as-is with a cap number of $8.9M. He'll either be traded, cut, or restructured before the season starts. Only exception is if we feel we are contenders as we stand, do not immediately need the cap space, yet do not want to extend him further. In that scenario, we may just bite the bullet.

I haven't seen specifics of the restructure actually ever released, but I'm pretty sure there were some significant playing time clauses in it that would allow Chad to make back all of the money he was expected to make in '06. Forget '07, this was 'if you last the whole season, then we'll pay you like you were worth' money.

To add insult to injury, now that he's performed, he'll get paid that way again this year - but his actual cap for this year will be as if it's the original 06 AND 07 numbers all in 07.

A worthwhile way to go - but as far as 07 is concerned, it's a bit of a double or nothing bet as per the cap.

Up until recently everyone was reporting we were 20-25 million under the cap, then recently all the numbers changed. The only thing I can tell that changed would be that the league finally did the NLTBE changes, and that's why we dropped to 15 million.

Archived