The Jets draft review from NFL Draft Countdown

faba

May 5, 2005

New York Jets '05 Draft Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

There was little doubt that after investing first round picks on the likes of Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht in recent years the team was looking to add a premier weapon at the tight end position. Just days before the draft the Jets chose to make a deal with Oakland for Doug Jolley, and as a result moving out of round one. Did they not think Heath Miller would be available or did they just prefer Jolley? That remains to be seen but in the end things may have worked out well for them.

After the meltdown of Doug Brien a year ago it would have been very difficult to bring him back so they needed to bring in a kicker and while the 2nd round is usually too high for that position Mike Nugent of Ohio St. was definitely the exception to that rule. Not only does this guy make all the kicks he is supposed to but he is also clutch with the game on the line, as evidenced by his 55-yard game winner as a senior. Simply put, he is a premier kicking prospect who was worthy of the 47 overall pick and he will be a major upgrade for them next year.

Had New York not traded out of round one a guy they would have strongly considered was cornerback Justin Miller of Clemson so they must have been pleasantly surprised to see him still available with their second pick in round two. A playmaker in the secondary, Miller is a major threat to score everytime he touches the ball and also provides great value as a return man as well. He should make an impact in that role as a rookie while eventually working his way into the secondary rotation. The only reason he fell as far as he did was some concerns about character but he could ultimately turn out to be a major steal.

Their next three picks were all used on the defensive side of the ball as well. In round three they reached for Utah DT Sione Pouha, who was a workout warrior and a guy I liked but they pulled the trigger on him a couple of round earlier than most expected. He will help make up for the loss of Jason Ferguson in free agency and there will definitely be room in the rotation for him to make an impact right away. With their next two picks they nabbed a couple of safeties in Kerry Rhodes of Louisville and Andre Maddox of North Carolina St. Rhodes is a guy who didn't get a lot of notice despite a strong senior campaign while Maddox has excellent computer numbers, running a 4.47 time in the forty.

In round six the J-E-T-S nabbed two players who I love and feel could turn out to be major steals in running back Cedric Houston of Tennessee and tight end Joel Dreessen of Colorado State. Houston didn't get a chance to ever carry the load with the Vols due to the depth they had at the position but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up being a much better player in the pros than he was in college if given the opportunity. Dreessen is more of an H-Back type who can be a weapon in the passing game and was a guy who really impressed me at the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile. He is going to be a great backup and he could work his way onto the field more than you might expect. With their final choice in round seven they took a developmental wide receiver in Harry Williams of Tuskeegee who will add depth to the position.

Overall this is a team that did a very nice job, getting good value with most of their picks and landing two guys in the 2nd round who could make an instant impact for them in '05. As I said, watch for Houston and Dreessen as two sleepers from the later rounds as well. Anytime a team can address their two most glaring weaknesses with quality players (in this case Nugent and Miller) they are a lock to receive a good review from me.

Very positive review by an outsider with no allegiences. Cedric Houston at RB is a guy that I have liked that could turn out well for us

Finally, an objective fair evaluation and I agree. Where is Tx, he needs to see this.

I reserve the right to use a Jets fan line when a national sportswriter craps all over the Jets:

"This guy is a complete moron who knows nothing about the game of football".

The fact is that instead of getting Heath Miller in round 1, the Jets traded themselves into Doug Jolley, Mike Nugent and Cedric Houston. I'll take the later over an injured rookie who will need a couple of years before he is productive. I like the fact that the Jets took productive players from major college programs who may not have had great computer numbers in round 6. I agree, Houston and Dreesen will be contributors.

Archived