You know who Thomas Jones kind of reminds me of?

BoomBoomMancini

Jones is nothing like Leon. Jones can move piles, get 1st downs and break tackles, and he's got some speed (better than Curtis Martin had). Leon is a better receiver than Jones and has more wiggle and speed, but Jones is a far better back, not even close.

Amen.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...teams really feared that Chicago passing attack....please.

Corey Dillon is 32 and has over 2000 carries on his resume. I assume you are smart enough to distinguish between the two.

As to receiving, that role will probably belong more to Leon.

And if your prerequisite for being a good back is that you never get cuaght from behind then can I assume you hated Curtis Martin? Because he couldn't outrun me and rarely ever broke one for more then 25..

But hey, maybe you'll get lucky and Jnes will suck and the Jets will have a crappy year...and then you can tell everyone how right you were.

And I am not making JOnes out to be anything more then he is...a fringe pro bowl RB who has excellent size, very good power and good speed and wh is comiong off back to back 1200 yard seasons for a bad weather team with a below average passing attack. Its you geniuses who are making him out to be Curtis Enis.

And what exactly is "home run power"??? Is he a RB or a DH???? Get your sports straight. BTW, I dont care if he catches one ball all season so long as he consistently moves the chians at about a 4-4.5 clip.

And for the last time....can you tell me what the better alternative to this move was? Come on...lets hear it already.

I did not say that the Bears had a feared passing attack. I said that the arm of Grossman forced defenses to RESPECT their passing attack, something Chad is unable to pull off.

You need to turn on your sarcasm meter. I was not advocating signing Corey Dillon, I was merely pointing out that saying Jones had a 50 yard run in the Super Bowl to help your argument was flawed. Lots of backs break fluke runs, it really doesn't mean ****.

It's just funny how you read my words, but your opinion on this subject is just so biased that you insist on putting (dumb) words into my mouth. I didn't even remotely reply that Jones was like Curtis Enis. I said in my last post that he was a middle-tier starting running back. But I guess it makes me a moron that I don't share in your assessment that a guy with two 1,000 yard seasons in a seven year career is such a massive acquisition that I must kneel down before him and tremble.

How many ****ing times do I have to tell you what I believe a better alternative would have been? SOMEONE THAT DID NOT REQUIRE MOVING DOWN IN THE DRAFT. Jesus He-Man Christ, I have said that like 5 times already. You want a name? Pick a name. Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Rueben Droughns, any available starting caliber halfback that we could have brought in here.

You must think we are a piece or two away from being championship caliber. I don't. I think we are a good ways away. At least two years. And in two years, Thomas Jones will be a 31-year old running back. The amount of carries he has had does not matter to Father Time, and when he takes away Jones' speed, Jones is useless.

So, I mean, forgive me if I don't jump through hoops because we "got an upgrade" at running back for the 2007 season. It's not like that borderline first round pick we traded could have been helping us out later on than the three, tops (and that's stretching it), that Jones will help. But, go ahead, and trade the future for a quick solution when we aren't close to being a championship team. It has worked great for the Redskins.

I did not say that the Bears had a feared passing attack. I said that the arm of Grossman forced defenses to RESPECT their passing attack, something Chad is unable to pull off.

You need to turn on your sarcasm meter. I was not advocating signing Corey Dillon, I was merely pointing out that saying Jones had a 50 yard run in the Super Bowl to help your argument was flawed. Lots of backs break fluke runs, it really doesn't mean ****.

It's just funny how you read my words, but your opinion on this subject is just so biased that you insist on putting (dumb) words into my mouth. I didn't even remotely reply that Jones was like Curtis Enis. I said in my last post that he was a middle-tier starting running back. But I guess it makes me a moron that I don't share in your assessment that a guy with two 1,000 yard seasons in a seven year career is such a massive acquisition that I must kneel down before him and tremble.

How many ****ing times do I have to tell you what I believe a better alternative would have been? SOMEONE THAT DID NOT REQUIRE MOVING DOWN IN THE DRAFT. Jesus He-Man Christ, I have said that like 5 times already. You want a name? Pick a name. Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Rueben Droughns, any available starting caliber halfback that we could have brought in here.

You must think we are a piece or two away from being championship caliber. I don't. I think we are a good ways away. At least two years. And in two years, Thomas Jones will be a 31-year old running back. The amount of carries he has had does not matter to Father Time, and when he takes away Jones' speed, Jones is useless.

So, I mean, forgive me if I don't jump through hoops because we "got an upgrade" at running back for the 2007 season. It's not like that borderline first round pick we traded could have been helping us out later on than the three, tops (and that's stretching it), that Jones will help. But, go ahead, and trade the future for a quick solution when we aren't close to being a championship team. It has worked great for the Redskins.

You have a point. It would have been nice not to move down in the draft. I still think this is the better move. Most of the FA rbs were far from stellar character guys. By all accounts Jones is a good character guy and workout fanatic and willing to share carries. I think Mangini feels that's very important. Also, I believe the deal he signed was more reasonable than those signed by most of the FA class. An older back, like Ahman Green, might have been a nice alternative for the short term, but I don't have a problem with this. I see it as a stop gap that doesn't look like an obvious stop gap.

Middle tier starter with good intagibles and character? Sounds like we got the Chad of running backs.

henry is the only guy in that list worth anything, ahd he is one step away from a big suspension. the others are all worse options that thomas jones. trade the future? please, it was basically a mid third round pick. we could always trade back up if we wanted to.

and jones game isn't really based on speed, as you have even said, so losing a step or two isn't nearly as big a problem for him as some other backs. not that it is nothing, but its not that big of a deal. plus, we gave him more money early so it would be easier to cut him after 3 years or so anyways.

Oh where to begin to respond to that little gem....

OK, first off I do believe you should be careful tossing out the "you need to understand sarcasm" statements when you apaprantly couldnt recognize it in my Curtis Enis comment. And to claim MY opinon is biased? LOL!!! You geniuses are comparing a 220 pound RB to a 205 pound scat back...yeah, nice objectivity there. LOL!!! But thats anohter issue.

If you would get your undies out of a bunch and actually READ the pro Jones points being made, you will recognize that no one is saying the guy is a super star. However, what we are saying is that among all the choices out there for us to pick up, he was the best when you factor in everything involved. Turner would have cost us FAR too much. McGahee was not ging to be traded in the division. Henry is 1 strike away from a full season suspension. Ahman Green hasnt been any good in 3 years and is unjury prone. Jamal Lewis has over 2000 carries alreayd and looks totally done. Rhodes just got busted for DUI and has never been a feature back. Dillon is 32 wiht 2000 plus carries. Drohgns??? Thats your answer????? LOL!!!!!

Jones is 28. He has only 1400 carries whihc means hes probably good for another 3 years. He is coming off two straight 1200 yard seasons for a bad weather, playoff team. He just came up huge in the 2006 post season. he is 220, runs a 4.5, can catch, can block, is a workout warrior and is supposedly a terrific lockeroom guy. And to get him, we didnt even have to give up a pick...only move down in rd 2. Oh but I forgot, Jones success in Chi was solely due to Rex Grossman's cannon!!! LOL!!!!

Now I know you draft guys like to think that every pick is a sure shot star but allow me to remind you of some of the names we have taken recently in the high in rd 2: Jon Mcgraw, Coleman Rudoplh, Alex Van Dyke, Rick Terry, and Matt O'Dwyer. Now lets look at our later 2nd rounders: Justin Miller, Lamont Jordan, Randy Thomas, Vicotr Hobson, Dennis Byrd. Translation: The odds of getting a stud at 37 are not that much better then getting one at 63.

I guess where we disagee most is how far away we are. If you think we are minimum two years away more power to you...I disagree. We went 10-6 last year and whle this team has warts, it also has a good foundation, (finally) a good coach, and learned how to win some last year. teams turn it around very fast in the NFL and I see no reason this team can't be a playoff contender in 2007 and if we develop our kids and add some more pieces, a serous contender in 2008.

And comparing the Jones trade to any move the Redskins have made over the past 4 years is just so over the top assinine it proves that you are either totally clueless or so determined to prove your point about Jones that you have lost al objectivity on the subject.

But like I said...maybe Jones will suck, the jets will go 4-12 and cut him at the end of the year...and then I guess you'll finally be happy.

(Reuben Droughns....LOL!!!! :Nuts: )

Oh where to begin to respond to that little gem....

OK, first off I do believe you should be careful tossing out the "you need to understand sarcasm" statements when you apaprantly couldnt recognize it in my Curtis Enis comment. And to claim MY opinon is biased? LOL!!! You geniuses are comparing a 220 pound RB to a 205 pound scat back...yeah, nice objectivity there. LOL!!! But thats anohter issue.

If you would get your undies out of a bunch and actually READ the pro Jones points being made, you will recognize that no one is saying the guy is a super star. However, what we are saying is that among all the choices out there for us to pick up, he was the best when you factor in everything involved. Turner would have cost us FAR too much. McGahee was not ging to be traded in the division. Henry is 1 strike away from a full season suspension. Ahman Green hasnt been any good in 3 years and is unjury prone. Jamal Lewis has over 2000 carries alreayd and looks totally done. Rhodes just got busted for DUI and has never been a feature back. Dillon is 32 wiht 2000 plus carries. Drohgns??? Thats your answer????? LOL!!!!!

Jones is 28. He has only 1400 carries whihc means hes probably good for another 3 years. He is coming off two straight 1200 yard seasons for a bad weather, playoff team. He just came up huge in the 2006 post season. he is 220, runs a 4.5, can catch, can block, is a workout warrior and is supposedly a terrific lockeroom guy. And to get him, we didnt even have to give up a pick...only move down in rd 2. Oh but I forgot, Jones success in Chi was solely due to Rex Grossman's cannon!!! LOL!!!!

Now I know you draft guys like to think that every pick is a sure shot star but allow me to remind you of some of the names we have taken recently in the high in rd 2: Jon Mcgraw, Coleman Rudoplh, Alex Van Dyke, Rick Terry, and Matt O'Dwyer. Now lets look at our later 2nd rounders: Justin Miller, Lamont Jordan, Randy Thomas, Vicotr Hobson, Dennis Byrd. Translation: The odds of getting a stud at 37 are not that much better then getting one at 63.

I guess where we disagee most is how far away we are. If you think we are minimum two years away more power to you...I disagree. We went 10-6 last year and whle this team has warts, it also has a good foundation, (finally) a good coach, and learned how to win some last year. teams turn it around very fast in the NFL and I see no reason this team can't be a playoff contender in 2007 and if we develop our kids and add some more pieces, a serous contender in 2008.

And comparing the Jones trade to any move the Redskins have made over the past 4 years is just so over the top assinine it proves that you are either totally clueless or so determined to prove your point about Jones that you have lost al objectivity on the subject.

But like I said...maybe Jones will suck, the jets will go 4-12 and cut him at the end of the year...and then I guess you'll finally be happy.

(Reuben Droughns....LOL!!!! :Nuts: )

How many times do I have to point out that the weight of the players does not mean jack ****. Was Ron Dayne a bruiser? He weighs 250 pounds. **** no, he was not a bruiser, because he played like a scat back. It's not how big you are, it's HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Thomas Jones plays the game a lot more similar to the way Leon plays it, rather than the way Cedric Benson plays it.

I think the real bottom line here is that I don't have visions of Lombardi Trophies dancing in my head after one 10-6 season. We are nowhere close to being ready. But, I guess adding Thomas Jones and Kenyon Coleman to a wild card team that had the easiest schedule in the league all but guarantees a trip to Phoenix.

I am not saying that the Jets are turning into the Redskins. I am saying this was a very Redskin-esque trade. Acquiring an aging player at the expense of a high draft pick whenever your team really isn't all that close to being a CHAMPIONSHIP contender. This is Mark Brunell with a running back.

The Jets are my team. I am not going to be HAPPY whenever they fail. Just because I don't agree with MSGOLD's fool-proof plan to ride the legs of a 29-year old, 220 pound scat-back to greatness, does not mean I root for the team to fail. In fact, I would say that it says more about you and your reservations with your "slam dunk", since it is two posts now that you've said that. You are half-right. I WILL rub your nose in it, but I WON'T be happy. I will be ****ing pissed.

And I just noticed in one of your earlier posts in this thread:

And what exactly is "home run power"??? Is he a RB or a freakin DH???? Get your sports straight.

Are you ****ing serious? You have never in your life heard a football player referred to as a "home run threat"? That is just ****ing baffling. And you are sitting here lecturing me on running backs.:shutit:

How many times do I have to point out that the weight of the players does not mean jack ****. Was Ron Dayne a bruiser? He weighs 250 pounds. **** no, he was not a bruiser, because he played like a scat back. It's not how big you are, it's HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME. Thomas Jones plays the game a lot more similar to the way Leon plays it, rather than the way Cedric Benson plays it.

I think the real bottom line here is that I don't have visions of Lombardi Trophies dancing in my head after one 10-6 season. We are nowhere close to being ready. But, I guess adding Thomas Jones and Kenyon Coleman to a wild card team that had the easiest schedule in the league all but guarantees a trip to Phoenix.

I am not saying that the Jets are turning into the Redskins. I am saying this was a very Redskin-esque trade. Acquiring an aging player at the expense of a high draft pick whenever your team really isn't all that close to being a CHAMPIONSHIP contender. This is Mark Brunell with a running back.

The Jets are my team. I am not going to be HAPPY whenever they fail. Just because I don't agree with MSGOLD's fool-proof plan to ride the legs of a 29-year old, 220 pound scat-back to greatness, does not mean I root for the team to fail. In fact, I would say that it says more about you and your reservations with your "slam dunk", since it is two posts now that you've said that. You are half-right. I WILL rub your nose in it, but I WON'T be happy. I will be ****ing pissed.

Are you ****ing serious? You have never in your life heard a football player referred to as a "home run threat"? That is just ****ing baffling. And you are sitting here lecturing me on running backs.:shutit:

one they didn't give up a high draft pick, they gave up an equivolent of a 3rd round pick for a 28 year old running back who will split time with washington. no one is planning on "riding his legs" to greatness. but if you don't think he is better than what we had last year, you are nuts. well, you are anyways, but this would just be further proof.

Troll, you are making the mistake of thinking this deal is like the Doug Jolley trade. Far from it. We moved from the 1st round into the 2nd rounder AND gave up a 6th rounder for a backup TE. We truly got hosed there.

Here, we moved back in the SECOND round about the same number of spaces (BIG difference between moving from 1st to 2nd) to pick up a starting RB. RB's with a combination of power and speed do not come along often, and for a guy who is 29, he has had a relatively light work load over the course of his career.

For the price we paid, 2-3 quality years out of Jones is worth it. Now, we can focus on getting him an improved offensive line and upgrading the D in the rest of the offseason, since the RB hole is filled.

This is getting boring...this is it for me, you an have the last word if you like.

1. That you keep refering to Jones as a scatback just shows how clueless and biased you are on the subject. He may not be a battering ram but the idea you are pushing that he is nohting more then a 220 pound scat back destroys your credibility on the subject. No in between is possible huh? You're either a bruiser or your branded scat back in your world? So tell me...what was Freeman Mcneil? What was Curtis martin?

2. As to the jets chances. They have a solid coach and a young team. Teams in a lot worse shape then they have become SB contedners in under 3 years. The Saints are a perfect example. I am sure back in Sept you would have tought the idea that they would be playing for a NFC championship would have been perposterous. If you feel they are years away, thats fine...I disagree. If this team continues to improve at the rate they have this year, they could be legit contenders in 08. So your assertion that I have "trophies in my head after one 10-6 season" is both false and manipulative.

3. You were the one who claimed we were becoming the Redskins because we traded down 26 spots in rd 2 to pick up a 28 year old 1200 yard RB. To me that is a totally ridiculous assertion. So if you are backtrakcing on that now, I fully understand. And we did not acquire this player at the expense of a draft pick...we got this 28 year old RB by moving down.

4. I noticed you didnt bother to acknowledge my examples of second roudn picks...not surprising. Why let facts get in the way of your diatribe?

5. I am sure you dont want the jets to lose...but I am not so sure you now dont want Thomas Jones to fail. Sorry...I calls em as I sees em. And I could not possibly care less if you "rub my nose in it" if he fails...it will just prove my point about you.

6. Home Run Power...please turn the sarcasm meter back on. Jeez.

Double post...sorry.

Troll, you are making the mistake of thinking this deal is like the Doug Jolley trade. Far from it. We moved from the 1st round into the 2nd rounder AND gave up a 6th rounder for a backup TE. We truly got hosed there.

Here, we moved back in the SECOND round about the same number of spaces (BIG difference between moving from 1st to 2nd) to pick up a starting RB. RB's with a combination of power and speed do not come along often, and for a guy who is 29, he has had a relatively light work load over the course of his career.

For the price we paid, 2-3 quality years out of Jones is worth it. Now, we can focus on getting him an improved offensive line and upgrading the D in the rest of the offseason, since the RB hole is filled.

You are 100% correct but dont waste yuor time trying to explain it to this guy.

Personally, I don't feel Thomas Jones is all that great. He certainly wasn't looked at in such high regard on this message board until after the trade, that's for damn sure.

****, some people were comparing him to Priest Holmes, for Christsakes. Other people said Corey Dillon. The difference between Thomas Jones and Corey Dillon is HUGE. First of all, Dillon was a much better back than Jones. Second of all, that team was already loaded. Giving up a second rounder for Dillon got them another championship. No one with a grasp on reality can convince me that Thomas Jones is the missing piece to the championship puzzle.

I don't think 2-3 years of Jones is worth the 5-6 good years that would have come had we hit on that 37th draft pick. Every year, players that everyone thinks are sure 1st rounders slide out into that area of the draft. To give up what I basically viewed as an extra 1st rounder to trade for Thomas Jones...it just doesn't sit well with me and I'm shocked that everyone else is so happy with it. You don't mortgage the future for the present unless you are THISCLOSE. We aren't.

This is getting boring...this is it for me, you an have the last word if you like.

1. That you keep refering to Jones as a scatback just shows how clueless and biased you are on the subject. He may not be a battering ram but the idea you are pushing that he is nohting more then a 220 pound scat back destroys your credibility on the subject. No in between is possible huh? You're either a bruiser or your branded scat back in your world? So tell me...what was Freeman Mcneil? What was Curtis martin?

2. As to the jets chances. They have a solid coach and a young team. Teams in a lot worse shape then they have become SB contedners in under 3 years. The Saints are a perfect example. I am sure back in Sept you would have tought the idea that they would be playing for a NFC championship would have been perposterous. If you feel they are years away, thats fine...I disagree. If this team continues to improve at the rate they have this year, they could be legit contenders in 08. So your assertion that I have "trophies in my head after one 10-6 season" is both false and manipulative.

3. You were the one who claimed we were becoming the Redskins because we traded down 26 spots in rd 2 to pick up a 28 year old 1200 yard RB. To me that is a totally ridiculous assertion. So if you are backtrakcing on that now, I fully understand. And we did not acquire this player at the expense of a draft pick...we got this 28 year old RB by moving down.

4. I noticed you didnt bother to acknowledge my examples of second roudn picks...not surprising. Why let facts get in the way of your diatribe?

5. I am sure you dont want the jets to lose...but I am not so sure you now dont want Thomas Jones to fail. Sorry...I calls em as I sees em. And I could not possibly care less if you "rub my nose in it" if he fails...it will just prove my point about you.

6. Home Run Power...please turn the sarcasm meter back on. Jeez.

Cool, if you are done, then I am not going to bother reading that monologue.

Yeah, he sure looked slow on that 50+ run in the SB.

Let me just say this. If all you ati JOnes geniuses are correct and Jones is nothing more then a slow, not powerful, old, dancing scat back then I have to say I am even happier that he's now a Jet. Because for a guy like that, wiht so little skill as you think, to somehow manage to gain 1200+ yards for a bad weather playoff team two yerasd in a row whose QB was so bad that defenses could key on him all day...well then he must have been some f*cking magician to pull that off. And magic is always welcome on my team.

And, as I expected, not one of you anti Jones bashers came up with a viable alternative to the move we made...you just whined and cried (and lied) about how "bad" Jones is. You're probably the same guys who defended Hermy all those years and then claimed you always hated him when the obvious finally became clear to the masses. And I am sure you'll all say how much you liked Jones when he runs for 1100 plus this year for us.

he rushed behind a great o-line. and he ran for a team which runs to win games. he got a lot of carries. i would've traded for deuce or even sign rodhes

he rushed behind a great o-line. and he ran for a team which runs to win games. he got a lot of carries. i would've traded for deuce or even sign rodhes

Now Duce is a guy I would have taklen over JOnes but there is NO indication Deuce is avialable and he wuld have cost us a #1 minimum.

Rhodes you are aware is oly a year younger then Jones and has NEVER been a full tie feature back.

BTW, to categorize Chicagos OL as "great" is ridiculous.

Now Duce is a guy I would have taklen over JOnes but there is NO indication Deuce is avialable and he wuld have cost us a #1 minimum.

Rhodes you are aware is oly a year younger then Jones and has NEVER been a full tie feature back.

BTW, to categorize Chicagos OL as "great" is ridiculous.

if you think bears o line is not a good line then you really don know about football. and rodhes would not have cost us that second round pick

if you think bears o line is not a good line then you really don know about football. and rodhes would not have cost us that second round pick

Of course Rhodes production has basically been dropping while Jones has actually improved. 3.4 ypc on a monster offense where all defense are geared to stopping the pass? That's worse than Barlow. Rhodes is also a lightweight midget. He makes some tough runs, but he's not exactly a proper compliment to Washington.

Cool, if you are done, then I am not going to bother reading that monologue.

I just wanna say that you should get that ugly bastard off the sig on your posts it makes me think that is what you look like.Barf.

Of course Rhodes production has basically been dropping while Jones has actually improved. 3.4 ypc on a monster offense where all defense are geared to stopping the pass? That's worse than Barlow. Rhodes is also a lightweight midget. He makes some tough runs, but he's not exactly a proper compliment to Washington.

rodhes loves contact. and jones shy's away from contact go figure!

There is a reason rhodes has never been (except one year) the feature back. its cause he sucks. he has had the luxry of Peyton at QB, with two pro-bowl receivers to worry about.

You really think denfeses go in to play Indy and are worried about Rhodes? what a joke

There is a reason rhodes has never been (except one year) the feature back. its cause he sucks. he has had the luxry of Peyton at QB, with two pro-bowl receivers to worry about.

You really think denfeses go in to play Indy and are worried about Rhodes? what a joke

all i know that in the super bowl he bulldozed his way over the bears defence that was tops in the nfc. if u didnt see that then u'r a joke

Hey reading comp victim...YOU said they were "great" and I disagreed that they should be considered on THAT level. I think they are good...Im just not ready to give them all the credit for TJs success as you seem to be.

As to your totally irelevant Rhodes comment, try reading my post again.

Hey reading comp victim...YOU said they were "great" and I disagreed that they should be considered on THAT level. I think they are good...Im just not ready to give them all the credit for TJs success as you seem to be.

As to your totally irelevant Rhodes comment, try reading my post again.

if you think that by playing on words makes u look smarter and my argument irrelevant. than your mistaken the point still is that he is not a BULLRUSHER like YOU said.

see i know how to type capitals too!

Archived