Mark Fields LB has cancer setback-out in 2005

faba

Panthers' Fields out for '05 after cancer returns

NFL.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (May 5, 2005) -- Carolina Panthers linebacker Mark Fields will miss the 2005 season after a recurrence of Hodgkin's disease, his agent said.

Fields missed the 2003 season while he battled the disease but returned last year to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl. He declined to sign Carolina's offer of a contract extension in March, saying he wanted to wait until after an annual medical checkup that was part of the cancer treatment.

Doctors discovered during tests this week that the Hodgkin's disease has returned and is in its early stages, agent Jim Steiner said.

As Fields cleaned out his locker on the final day of the season, he said he only wanted to play for the Panthers and joked that he would re-sign for $2.

He had 60 tackles, four sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one interception last season and was named a first alternate to the Pro Bowl. He played in the game for the second time in his career as an injury substitute.

He was honored in March at the 27th Annual Ed Block Courage Awards for courage and sportsmanship. One player from every team is chosen for the award by his teammates.

The news comes less than three weeks after Panthers linebackers coach Sam Mills died after a nearly two-year battle with intestinal cancer. He was 45.

Mills first delivered news of his disease in August 2003, two weeks after the team learned that Fields had cancer.

That is unfortunate. I hope all works out well for him. Cancer is an ugly thing - I've lost too many people I love to that horror.

Speaking of Carolina, Troy Brown in from South Carolina and I believe he makes his home there, so there could be some truth to this rumor:

Panthers | Looking to Sign T. Brown? - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 5 May 2005 10:07:10 -0700

John Czarnecki, of Sports Weekly, reports for USAToday.com if free agent WR Troy Brown (Patriots) does not re-sign with the New England Patriots, he may wind up signing with the Carolina Panthers.

Archived