Herm having serious problems with Larry Johnson?

BP

According to several teammates LJ is becoming a cancer in the locker room..and they've told Herm this several times.

Trouble in paradise?

Consider trading him

JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

Previous columns

No one asked me, but just in case Carl Peterson and Clark Hunt would like to know where I stand: I

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Consider trading him

JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

No way. (FYI: I attempted to contact Peterson and Edwards on Wednesday. They were both legitimately unavailable. Peterson, I was told, was out of town. Edwards, I was told, spent most of Wednesday in meetings with the scouting department.)

:eek:

LJ is one of the only players to speak out on Herman Edwards' idiocy. I think about midway through the season, sometime after the HBO interview and before the great Herm coaching performance against Indy, LJ started taking the bull**** for what it was: bull****.

I respect him for seeing through Herm, something most players receiving the Club Med treatment wouldn't dare do, or at least tell to the media.

LJ is one of the only players to speak out on Herman Edwards' idiocy. I think about midway through the season, sometime after the HBO interview and before the great Herm coaching performance against Indy, LJ started taking the bull**** for what it was: bull****.

I respect him for seeing through Herm, something most players receiving the Club Med treatment wouldn't dare do, or at least tell to the media.

And that is prolly the reason for this story. Remember Herm is a guy who became so cozy with the media he named the story lines after leaving here.

Did you ever think LJ is doing this on purpose?. LJ knows Herm ran Curtis into early retirement and LJ broke the NFL record for carries this year(416). he's not dumb and knows that is Herm's way..run,run,pass,punt. He would be smarty to get out of Dodge before he turns into an old man..early.

Did you ever think LJ is doing this on purpose?. LJ knows Herm ran Curtis into early retirement and LJ broke the NFL record for carries this year(416). he's not dumb and knows that is Herm's way..run,run,pass,punt. He would be smarty to get out of Dodge before he turns into an old man..early.

The player bears as much blame for this as the coach.

When Martin was still starting with two sprained ankles, that was Martin saying "Keep me in" more than it was Herm saying "You're going in, I don't care what you say." Martin could certainly see that against power defenses he wasn't nearly as effective as LJ. Did he once suggest to Herm that he should give LJ more time in the game? I seriously doubt it. Herm would do anything Martin asked.

LJ has already called out the playcalling & knows it's going to hurt him; think he referred to what he was asked to do as "running into a brick wall." He certainly comes across as though he thinks Herm is dumber than he is. Immature as LJ acts, he probably is.

When Martin was still starting with two sprained ankles, that was Martin saying "Keep me in" more than it was Herm saying "You're going in, I don't care what you say." Martin could certainly see that against power defenses he wasn't nearly as effective as LJ. Did he once suggest to Herm that he should give LJ more time in the game? I seriously doubt it. Herm would do anything Martin asked.

LJ has already called out the playcalling & knows it's going to hurt him; think he referred to what he was asked to do as "running into a brick wall." He certainly comes across as though he thinks Herm is dumber than he is. Immature as LJ acts, he probably is.

I don't know if I agree with this. Martin was a warrior and was never going to say he couldn't go. Edwards should have recognized that his production was down and should have benched him, instead he kept him in. Edwards did not want to give LJ the ball as long as CMart could walk; remember the Bishop Harris fight because LJ was in and not Cmart. Anyway, we are both speculating but personally I still put more of the blame on Herm for that....

Johnson was indulged by his dad at PSU, and he probably has been spoiled rotten since the first day he ran roughshod over the tykes in Pop Warner. But giving any back 400+ carries with a servicable backup in Mike Bennett on your bench is retarded. It's a fact-LJ is going to be inside an OR shortly getting his knee worked on. LJ may be immature(text messages in meetings, Jay Z-please!)but he's smart enough to see his career being cut several years short by this Edwards silliness. Edwards runs backs into the ground because on the surface it's defensible-Martin and Johnson were/are his best players. It's

looks good-for now. But it's shortsighted and boringly predictable. Above all, it doesn't work long-term. But once you let this idiot run the show, in for a penny, in for a pound. And probably at least several ounces of Larry Johnson's knee cartilage in the very near future.

Does anyone actually think Herm cares?

He let Law skip 2 freakin practices a week. He let players skip weight sessions. He let players be over their deemed optimum weight by team (something ALL teams fine for in NFL)

He wouldnt fine players for being over weight or tardy.

So why would he care if a guy text messages in team meetings. For Gods sake, he allowed Law to talk back to coaches in team meetings and badmouth coaches /team direction to Miller.

This makes no sense. Players play. Coaches coach.

John Abraham said he couldn't go. I can't play this game. HE GOT KILLED FOR THAT. It is not Curtis' job to gauge how effective he is. Presumably Herm had a stop watch and eyes. It is HIS job to decide when someone is hurting the team by playing at less than 100%.

Seriously your strange contempt for Curtis is really clouding your judgement here. It is simple. The coach decides who plays. This one is on Herm. All on Herm. All Curtis did is what we ask of every player but don't always get -- give 100%.

We killed Abraham for sitting out. Martin gets killed for staying in. Which way is it ?

Herm had to make those choices. He could have manned up and said told Curtis to sit for a few weeks but he didn't.

John Abraham said he couldn't go. I can't play this game. HE GOT KILLED FOR THAT. It is not Curtis' job to gauge how effective he is. Presumably Herm had a stop watch and eyes. It is HIS job to decide when someone is hurting the team by playing at less than 100%.

Seriously your strange contempt for Curtis is really clouding your judgement here. It is simple. The coach decides who plays. This one is on Herm. All on Herm. All Curtis did is what we ask of every player but don't always get -- give 100%.

ya, i agree,,

Its a HC job to play/no play..

a true warrior, which CM is, will always want and THINK he can be effective. Its up to the coach to decide in practice/game that it aint gettin done. With no regard to honoring a vet or whatever. The team comes first and thatrs a HCs job description. The team. Not the player. The team.

ya, i agree,,

Its a HC job to play/no play..

a true warrior, which CM is, will always want and THINK he can be effective. Its up to the coach to decide in practice/game that it aint gettin done. With no regard to honoring a vet or whatever. The team comes first and thatrs a HCs job description. The team. Not the player. The team.

Eventually we had to agree on something, lol.

As is your worship for a good but not great RB. I don't absolve that meathead Herm for putting him in there. But I don't absolve Martin, a savvy veteran, for not knowing better either (which I believe he did).

As is your worship for a good but not great RB. I don't absolve that meathead Herm for putting him in there. But I don't absolve Martin, a savvy veteran, for not knowing better either (which I believe he did).

So John Abraham is your favorite player? He has the common sense to say, "Coach I can't go today". "It just doesn't feel right".

Those are traits you must admire in football players.

I like Curtis because he gave everything he had. He represented this franchise well. He is a great person and never complained. Oh and he is a Hall Of Famer. The Jets need a few more of those.

So John Abraham is your favorite player? He has the common sense to say, "Coach I can't go today". "It just doesn't feel right".

Those are traits you must admire in football players.

I like Curtis because he gave everything he had. He represented this franchise well. He is a great person and never complained. Oh and he is a Hall Of Famer. The Jets need a few more of those.

Everything is all-or-nothing with you? It's either always play or always sit?

If a player can play & be effective, he should play. Abraham was protecting his (future) contract.

If a player can play & will be ineffictive, he should sit. Martin should have sat with 2 sprained ankles.

Everything is all-or-nothing with you? It's either always play or always sit?

If a player can play & be effective, he should play. Abraham was protecting his (future) contract.

If a player can play & will be ineffictive, he should sit. Martin should have sat with 2 sprained ankles.

Yeah but shouldn't that have been Herm's call ? I mean afterall he was the HC. He did made the move with Vinny going to Chad in 02 why didn't he do the same with Curtis till he got healthy.

If Curtis had sat everyone and I mean everyone would have looked at him like he was bailing out on them the same way we looked at Abraham. The team was in a freefall at the time. There is no way Curtis was going to take himself out when he felt he could get them out of the hole they had dug themselves.

Yeah but shouldn't that have been Herm's call ? I mean afterall he was the HC. He did made the move with Vinny going to Chad in 02 why didn't he do the same with Curtis till he got healthy.

If Curtis had sat everyone and I mean everyone would have looked at him like he was bailing out on them the same way we looked at Abraham. The team was in a freefall at the time. There is no way Curtis was going to take himself out when he felt he could get them out of the hole they had dug themselves.

This is my point. They are both to blame. Not just Herm. But if Herm was so stupid to say "whatever Curtis wants" and live up to it, then a team-first player should take it upon himself to do what's right for the team without fear of losing carries to a young, healthy back. Playing through 2 high ankle sprains, gaining a total of 98 yards through 4 games was an example (actually 4 examples) of not doing that.

SPerm I gotta say your wrong on this one... you want your players to have the type of passion Curtis and Chad have... you want them to feel as though they can play through anything, it means they are tough warrior type players that will give it their all and not take one single play off. Its up to the coach/training staff to know when they are too hurt, not the player...

Herm gladly ran Curtis into the ground even when the media started calling it out as a mistake to play him hurt.

Herm Gladly let Chad play with his arm dangling off on more than one occasion...

Herm let Abe sit on the bench so he could protect his contract talks for next season... not becuase he was too hurt to play...

This falls 100% on Herms shoulders.

This is my point. They are both to blame. Not just Herm. But if Herm was so stupid to say "whatever Curtis wants" and live up to it, then a team-first player should take it upon himself to do what's right for the team without fear of losing carries to a young, healthy back. Playing through 2 high ankle sprains, gaining a total of 98 yards through 4 games was an example (actually 4 examples) of not doing that.

I'm under the impression that 90% of the people on this board have played sports at a reasonably high level.

I have to side with Curtis on this one, anytime anyone I knew, including myself, played a sport you don't notice when you are not preforming as you used to. Maybe its not so much that you don't notice, its that you still think you are better than the next guy. If he were watching a different back play on two bum ankles, Curtis would probably want to pull that guy from the game. Since it was Curtis that was actually hurt, I am assuming he was oblivious to the fact that he wasn't in tip-top shape. This blame has to lay with the HC, players play for as long as they can, until told otherwise. (other than abraham, he comes out when his tampon is sore)

Well then we disagree on this. I believe they both bear responsibility. Ultimately it's Herm's call and he (appropriately) gets more blame. But to render Martin blameless when he can see with his own eyes that he was not effective is selectively rendering blame only to those you dislike and absolving those you do.

Archived