Quarterback Analysis

Cotch-Rocket

Over the next few weeks, I intend to analyze the Jets, position-by-position. I'm going to start with one of the most important positions, quarterback.

QUARTERBACK.

This is a difficult position for me to analyze. After 2002, I was enamored with Chad Pennington. Absolutely and completely in love with him to the fullest heterosexual sports fanatic extent. 2003 was a bad year for the Jets, and it was because he wasn't there. I was upset about his broken wrist, especially because it was the fourth preseason game, but hey, what can you do, freak accidents happen... right?

2004 rolls around. We give him 7 years, $64.2 million before the season starts. Wow. Insanity. Not too happy about that one, but not upset either. I mean, he did break his wrist just a year ago, but that was a freak injury on his opposite throwing arm. Chad was one year removed from a 22 TD 6 INT performance that boasted an extremely impressive 104.2 QB rating in 12 starts with nearly 70% completion.

5-0 start, Chad looks pretty good. A few bumps here and there, but... BAM! Torn rotator cuff. Another freak injury. Now, I'm doubting that contract, but again, not his fault. He needs to recover from it, and stop playing through it. It was a fantastic effort in the playoffs (at least against San Diego; I don't forgive him for the Pittsburgh debacle of leading your team to only three damned points) but now he needed huge surgery.

2005... Pennington is back from shoulder surgery. I expect a weakened arm, yes. It's expected. However, we never truly get to see how weak it is now because of, well, another "freak" injury. Another rotator cuff tear. When does the tag of "freak injury" go away and "injury prone" come up? I'd say right about now.

After his first injury, I defended him against the naysayers. He'll come back to 2002 form. After his huge, unnecessary contract, I defended him. 2003 was an incomplete year coming off of a tough injury and to a 1-4 team. After his first rotator cuff tear, I defended him. Another freak injury. He is still a great quarterback. However, Chad ruined it with his third severe injury. There is a limit to the number of "freak injuries" you have before the label of injury prone is placed on you. This was the end of the line. You cannot keep breaking my heart Chad. You're making me look bad, but even worse, you're making me feel bad and even worse yet, the Jets are losing games (and money) because of YOU and your injuries.

Now, fast-forward past an extremely overrated and mediocre "Comeback Player of the Year" caliber season. But wait, Cotch-Rocket, he won Comeback Player of the Year Award! How is that mediocre? I'll tell you how: 17 total touchdowns compared to 20 total turnovers. A 6.91 YPA, nearly a full point less than his 2002 season, and inflated by plays such as the two Jerricho Cotchery made against New England in the first meeting. Terrible throws that place his players in danger (see: Miami game on Christmas night; Lavernaues Coles (twice) and Leon Washington, as well as various games and plays throughout the season). How about the stretch of six, count 'em SIX, consecutive regular season games without surpassing a weak 200 passing yards, one of them not even breaking 100 yards and another surpassing 100 by only eight yards? How about the debacle against Chicago? Cleveland? Both are games that were winnable, but poor quarterback play prevented the Jets from winning.

However, credit where credit is due, Chad did help us win a decent amount last year. And more credit where it is due: we still could have won those games without him. Chad Pennington has never been a game-changing quarterback since any of his injuries. He has been a game manager; a quarterback that can not lose games if surrounded with proper talent that he can utilize efficiently. You will never see Chad Pennington make (positive) game-altering plays. It just doesn't happen.

So what exactly do I want at quarterback? Well, for starters, I want Kellen Clemens in the future. He needs to have his shine time, and we can't clog it with a quarterback such as Pennington. Pennington will be 31 when the next season starts, and we cannot look for him past this season, in my opinion. We need to make sure Clemens will be ready to take the reigns whenever Chad gets a season-ending injury next.

We, as Jet fans, cannot continue to conform to and accept the mediocrity that this franchise is used to. Chad Pennington is MEDIOCRE. We have a younger option that can potentially perform better. Even if Clemens doesn't, he can only improve. Chad reached his ceiling, smacked his head on it, and won't go back up.

We cannot allow Pennington to have a season like last year with his shoddy performances that cost us games. We cannot allow another season of more turnovers than touchdowns. We cannot allow another season of simplistic game management. The future is now.

If an entire surgery-free offseason of rest is what Chad needs, then this is his chance. He needs to prove it to me, because I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid at all. All the Pennington diehards ever have for him and his abysmal performance is EXCUSES. "New offense," "no full offseason of recovery and rest," "not enough talent on offense." No longer are ANY of these viable excuses, in my opinion. He has the same offense for two years next season. He has a full, surgery-free offseason to rehab his arm. He has Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Lavernaues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Chris Baker, and anyone we draft. More than talented enough. He has a great center in Mangold and an improving offensive line.

This year is Chad's last chance. It's time to put up or shut up. No more excuses. No more mediocrity. No more negative game-changing plays. None of it. I've had enough. If we have to sacrifice wins to get Kellen Clemens playing time, so be it. It will be better in the long run.

As far as depth goes, we need a veteran QB to be 2 or 3 to apply pressure to Clemens; make him work towards an incentive of passing them on the depth chart, or holding them back. Plus, I'll never, ever rule out an injury to Chad Pennington again in my life, and more depth would be appreciated.

This will sound awful, but I think the chances of Pennington playing completely injury free all season are free. This shoiuld give Clemmons a chance to show how he's progressing and maybe win the starters job before the season is over. I dont think the Jets need a veteran QB to push Clemmons (I think he is a self starter and already motivated), but they do need one for depth. If Penny goes down and Kellen falters they have to have somebody who can step in a steady things.

I think the QB issue alone might prevent the Jets from returning to the playoffs, but if they are out of it we should see Clemmons get a chance to start which should put the Jets in a much stronger position going into the 08 season.

Over the next few weeks, I intend to analyze the Jets, position-by-position. I'm going to start with one of the most important positions, quarterback.

QUARTERBACK.

This is a difficult position for me to analyze. After 2002, I was enamored with Chad Pennington. Absolutely and completely in love with him to the fullest heterosexual sports fanatic extent. 2003 was a bad year for the Jets, and it was because he wasn't there. I was upset about his broken wrist, especially because it was the fourth preseason game, but hey, what can you do, freak accidents happen... right?

2004 rolls around. We give him 7 years, $64.2 million before the season starts. Wow. Insanity. Not too happy about that one, but not upset either. I mean, he did break his wrist just a year ago, but that was a freak injury on his opposite throwing arm. Chad was one year removed from a 22 TD 6 INT performance that boasted an extremely impressive 104.2 QB rating in 12 starts with nearly 70% completion.

5-0 start, Chad looks pretty good. A few bumps here and there, but... BAM! Torn rotator cuff. Another freak injury. Now, I'm doubting that contract, but again, not his fault. He needs to recover from it, and stop playing through it. It was a fantastic effort in the playoffs (at least against San Diego; I don't forgive him for the Pittsburgh debacle of leading your team to only three damned points) but now he needed huge surgery.

2005... Pennington is back from shoulder surgery. I expect a weakened arm, yes. It's expected. However, we never truly get to see how weak it is now because of, well, another "freak" injury. Another rotator cuff tear. When does the tag of "freak injury" go away and "injury prone" come up? I'd say right about now.

After his first injury, I defended him against the naysayers. He'll come back to 2002 form. After his huge, unnecessary contract, I defended him. 2003 was an incomplete year coming off of a tough injury and to a 1-4 team. After his first rotator cuff tear, I defended him. Another freak injury. He is still a great quarterback. However, Chad ruined it with his third severe injury. There is a limit to the number of "freak injuries" you have before the label of injury prone is placed on you. This was the end of the line. You cannot keep breaking my heart Chad. You're making me look bad, but even worse, you're making me feel bad and even worse yet, the Jets are losing games (and money) because of YOU and your injuries.

Now, fast-forward past an extremely overrated and mediocre "Comeback Player of the Year" caliber season. But wait, Cotch-Rocket, he won Comeback Player of the Year Award! How is that mediocre? I'll tell you how: 17 total touchdowns compared to 20 total turnovers. A 6.91 YPA, nearly a full point less than his 2002 season, and inflated by plays such as the two Jerricho Cotchery made against New England in the first meeting. Terrible throws that place his players in danger (see: Miami game on Christmas night; Lavernaues Coles (twice) and Leon Washington, as well as various games and plays throughout the season). How about the stretch of six, count 'em SIX, consecutive regular season games without surpassing a weak 200 passing yards, one of them not even breaking 100 yards and another surpassing 100 by only eight yards? How about the debacle against Chicago? Cleveland? Both are games that were winnable, but poor quarterback play prevented the Jets from winning.

However, credit where credit is due, Chad did help us win a decent amount last year. And more credit where it is due: we still could have won those games without him. Chad Pennington has never been a game-changing quarterback since any of his injuries. He has been a game manager; a quarterback that can not lose games if surrounded with proper talent that he can utilize efficiently. You will never see Chad Pennington make (positive) game-altering plays. It just doesn't happen.

So what exactly do I want at quarterback? Well, for starters, I want Kellen Clemens in the future. He needs to have his shine time, and we can't clog it with a quarterback such as Pennington. Pennington will be 31 when the next season starts, and we cannot look for him past this season, in my opinion. We need to make sure Clemens will be ready to take the reigns whenever Chad gets a season-ending injury next.

We, as Jet fans, cannot continue to conform to and accept the mediocrity that this franchise is used to. Chad Pennington is MEDIOCRE. We have a younger option that can potentially perform better. Even if Clemens doesn't, he can only improve. Chad reached his ceiling, smacked his head on it, and won't go back up.

We cannot allow Pennington to have a season like last year with his shoddy performances that cost us games. We cannot allow another season of more turnovers than touchdowns. We cannot allow another season of simplistic game management. The future is now.

If an entire surgery-free offseason of rest is what Chad needs, then this is his chance. He needs to prove it to me, because I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid at all. All the Pennington diehards ever have for him and his abysmal performance is EXCUSES. "New offense," "no full offseason of recovery and rest," "not enough talent on offense." No longer are ANY of these viable excuses, in my opinion. He has the same offense for two years next season. He has a full, surgery-free offseason to rehab his arm. He has Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Lavernaues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Chris Baker, and anyone we draft. More than talented enough. He has a great center in Mangold and an improving offensive line.

This year is Chad's last chance. It's time to put up or shut up. No more excuses. No more mediocrity. No more negative game-changing plays. None of it. I've had enough. If we have to sacrifice wins to get Kellen Clemens playing time, so be it. It will be better in the long run.

As far as depth goes, we need a veteran QB to be 2 or 3 to apply pressure to Clemens; make him work towards an incentive of passing them on the depth chart, or holding them back. Plus, I'll never, ever rule out an injury to Chad Pennington again in my life, and more depth would be appreciated.

POTW Nom.

This will sound awful, but I think the chances of Pennington playing completely injury free all season are free. This shoiuld give Clemmons a chance to show how he's progressing and maybe win the starters job before the season is over. I dont think the Jets need a veteran QB to push Clemmons (I think he is a self starter and already motivated), but they do need one for depth. If Penny goes down and Kellen falters they have to have somebody who can step in a steady things.

I think the QB issue alone might prevent the Jets from returning to the playoffs, but if they are out of it we should see Clemmons get a chance to start which should put the Jets in a much stronger position going into the 08 season.

Yeah, I agree with you. I hate to say it, too, but I seriously doubt Chad is able to stay healthy again for an entire season. I also, however, doubt that he is capable of losing the job to Clemens in training camp. I'm just worried that he is so unready to start when Chad goes down that it does more harm for his future than good.

where's that from, exactly?

I thought of and typed it myself.

WOW. Great post, cotch-rocket.

You have pretty much summed up how I feel, and what I've been preaching for over a year now - Chad Pennington isnt "THE GUY" to lead us over the hump. This is the AFC, where the big boys play.

Mediocre QB peformance by a game managing QB is not gonna get you anything.

Some people here would rather we stick with Chad next year because we were 10-6 last year. In reality, we are going 8-8 or worse in 2007 with or without Chad! There is absolutely no point in holding Clemens back for another year in 2007 when we wont make the playoffs either way.

QUARTERBACK.

POTW NOM.

Very, very, VERY good post.:beer:

arghh.. if you are gonna be on the clemens bandwagon, at least spell his name right! ITS CLEMENS, NOT CLEMMONS! NOTHING TO DO WITH LEMONS! when i see definitive evidence on why clemens is a superior qb to chad, then i maybelieve in him, but i dont see much in him at all. im not even a chad lover, but how can so many of you be so convinced he will lead the jets to a championship? tell me! the jets got pretty damn close to the afc championship game with ****ty coaching, the star defensive player being a bitch and sitting out, and an aging rb. obviously, it wasnt hackett's fault! it wasnt! if it wasnt for herm's "clutch" decisions, the jets may have been what the steelers became a year later. obviously chad isnt that bad! he really isnt. i wouldnt be angry if clemens beat him out, because then i would know for sure that he is a better player than chad. right now, chad IS STILL THE QB.

when i see definitive evidence on why clemens is a superior qb to chad, then i maybelieve in him, but i dont see much in him at all. im not even a chad lover, but how can so many of you be so convinced he will lead the jets to a championship? tell me! the jets got pretty damn close to the afc championship game with ****ty coaching, the star defensive player being a bitch and sitting out, and an aging rb. obviously, it wasnt hackett's fault! it wasnt! if it wasnt for herm's "clutch" decisions, the jets may have been what the steelers became a year later. obviously chad isnt that bad! he really isnt. i wouldnt be angry if clemens beat him out, because then i would know for sure that he is a better player than chad. right now, chad IS STILL THE QB.

That's the thing, though. Nobody is saying Clemens is a superior QB to Chad. Nobody is saying that he will lead us to a championship. What we are saying, though, is that we WON'T know until he gets a chance. There is no definitive evidence, and he won't be able to prove it UNTIL he starts.

We call for him not because we think he will lead us to a championship, but because we know Chad CANNOT lead us to one. Yes, Chad came within a game of the AFC Championship. That was a different Chad Pennington. Despite his omnipresent weak arm, he used to be able to zip the ball, even in the 2004 season. That second arm surgery weakened his arm terribly.

There were so, so many occasions this past season where Chad floated the ball terribly, even on 5-and-outs and swing passes to the backs. Everything, it seemed, floated it. His accuracy is still there, yes, but the arm strength is not. I was completely, 100% content with his "weak" arm before the two surgeries, but he is so, so weak now in the arm. Maybe that full offseason of conditioning without surgery will help, but I doubt it.

It's not that I think Pennington is not a great guy or a great emotional leader, but physically, he doesn't have the tools required to win a championship. Clemens needs the chance to prove that he can (or cannot) lead the Jets to a championship.

arghh.. if you are gonna be on the clemens bandwagon, at least spell his name right! ITS CLEMENS, NOT CLEMMONS! NOTHING TO DO WITH LEMONS! when i see definitive evidence on why clemens is a superior qb to chad, then i maybelieve in him, but i dont see much in him at all. im not even a chad lover, but how can so many of you be so convinced he will lead the jets to a championship? tell me! the jets got pretty damn close to the afc championship game with ****ty coaching, the star defensive player being a bitch and sitting out, and an aging rb. obviously, it wasnt hackett's fault! it wasnt! if it wasnt for herm's "clutch" decisions, the jets may have been what the steelers became a year later. obviously chad isnt that bad! he really isnt. i wouldnt be angry if clemens beat him out, because then i would know for sure that he is a better player than chad. right now, chad IS STILL THE QB.

Uh . . . yeah. Sorry about the spelling mistake. I'll work on improving my spelling.

Now you work on your reading comprehension.

I never said that Clemens was better than Chad. I merely pointed out that I think Clemens is the heir apparant to Chad and that Chad getting injured (and he has a history of it) might be the way in which Clemens gets into the starting job. I seriously doubt that, barring injury, Clemens beats Chad out of the job. He might get it if the Jets falter next season whether Chad is the better QB or not.

Judging from who nominated you for post of the week I take it you're a little, um, maybe, anti-chad possibly?

Now I don't mean to come in here and ruin everyone's little piss on chad party, but here's what I think: Chad has a full offseason where he's not under the knife or coming back from major injury the previous year for the first time in a while. Athletes, even the pros, don't just walk back into the game as if nothing happened after a career threatening injury (not to mention 2). It takes time, specifically live game time, to get your your head back to where it was prior to said injury. It takes time to get yourself to mentally and physically be able to do the things you once did unconsciously.

If you have ever suffered such an event then you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, then lucky you.

All I'm saying is give Chad some time. I think he will make a lot you very happy in the coming year.

Let the Chad Hater Circle Jerk Commence

Before you pass judgement on Chad, give him a chance with a running game

A running game sort of helps

Yes, handing off to future Hall of Famer Curtis Martin his first three seasons as a starter wasn't enough. Chad needs Barry Sanders.

Big Ben had 18 TD's and 25, that's right 25 turnovers last season .

Big Ben is also a low yardage per game QB having thrown for 300 yds 3 times in the last two seasons and only 4 times in his career.

Ben has had a few "freak" injuries and may possibly be approaching being labeled "injury prone".

In fact, Ben has never played a full 16 game season in his career to date.

Sounds a lot like what was written about Pennington. Are the Steelers calling for his replacement?

Oh yeah. Roethlisberger also won a ring despite all these Pennington like shortcomings yet we are positive that Chad who unlike Ben, never misses the play-offs when healthy cannot.

Big Ben is also a low yardage per game QB having thrown for 300 yds 3 times in the last two seasons and only 4 times in his career.

Ben has had a few "freak" injuries and may possibly be approaching being labeled "injury prone".

Sounds a lot like what was written about Pennington. Are the Steelers calling for his replacement?

Oh yeah. Roethlisberger also won a ring despite all these Pennington like shortcomings yet we are positive that Chad who unlike Ben, never misses the play-offs when healthy cannot.

Ben Roethlisberger is also 25 years old, has a cannon for an arm, and possesses great improvisational skills.

Chad Pennington is 31 years old, has a high school arm, and never, ever does anything with busted plays other than show off his terrible rushing ability.

Ben Roethlisberger is also 25 years old, has a cannon for an arm, and possesses great improvisational skills.

Chad Pennington is 31 years old, has a high school arm, and never, ever does anything with busted plays other than show off his terrible rushing ability.

Actually Ben is 27 and I am not knocking him but just showing how the things we knock our QB for can be applied to many others around the league if we so choose to.

Judging from who nominated you for post of the week I take it you're a little, um, maybe, anti-chad possibly?

Now I don't mean to come in here and ruin everyone's little piss on chad party, but here's what I think: Chad has a full offseason where he's not under the knife or coming back from major injury the previous year for the first time in a while. Athletes, even the pros, don't just walk back into the game as if nothing happened after a career threatening injury (not to mention 2). It takes time, specifically live game time, to get your your head back to where it was prior to said injury. It takes time to get yourself to mentally and physically be able to do the things you once did unconsciously.

If you have ever suffered such an event then you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, then lucky you.

All I'm saying is give Chad some time. I think he will make a lot you very happy in the coming year.

I don't want him to not start the season. I'd like to see Clemens get a shot, but it is highly doubtful that he beats out Chad in training camp, especially because the CS's apparent committment to Chad. He DID just quarterback a team that won 10 games and won the wild card. I don't think he was as significant as a factor as he is made out to be, but that's up to everyone's own discretion, including the coaching staff's.

I'd like to believe that the full offseason will help him, but I seriously doubt it. A lot of what he is doing incorrectly seems to be mechanically and mentally; poor decisions, weak throws, bad throws, etc.

I think Roethlisberger is extremely overrated. He's not as good as media outlets such as ESPN portray him as. He was terrible last year, yes, and thats why his team was terrible. I would take him over Chad, though, purely because of age. If they were the same age, it's a toss up. Neither is a good QB. And yeah, Roethlisberger won a ring... with an insane running game and defense. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington probably won't be as good as Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker. We can, hope but it's doubtful.

And as far as his injuries, the motorcycle one was his own fault. It's different when you have a freak injury on the field, and have three of them, compared to Roethlisberger, who puts himself in position to get hurt. Roethlisberger is an idiot.

Cotch you had some good points but can we all stop pointing out that Chad is benifiting from receivers that run after the catch to inflate his numbers. Every QB in the league has these plays and it's what makes everything apples to apples. If you were to take away YAC from a QBs stats I think Chad still ranks right where he is now.

Actually Ben is 27 and I am not knocking him but just showing how the things we knock our QB for can be applied to many others around the league if we so choose to.

He was born in 1982, which would make him 25.

Not only does he possess better natural skills than Chad, but he still has room for upward improvement. If Chad was a 25 year old with a Super Bowl ring and a cannon on his right shoulder, I would probably cut him a little bit more slack.

Yeah those great improvisational skills that lead to a 15-1 team nearly getting bounced out in the first round of the playoffs and then bounced out the following week at home.

Roethlisberger improviational skill are falling over his feet and sticking a hand out to save the Steelers season in 06.

Yeah those great improvisational skills that lead to a 15-1 team nearly getting bounced out in the first round of the playoffs and then bounced out the following week at home.

Roethlisberger improviational skill are falling over his feet and sticking a hand out to save the Steelers season in 06.

Yes, back whenever he was a 22-year old ROOKIE.

You know what Chad was doing at 22? Playing his junior year at Marshall. Sort of a far cry from going winning your first 14 professional starts.

Yes, back whenever he was a 22-year old ROOKIE.

You know what Chad was doing at 22? Playing his junior year at Marshall. Sort of a far cry from going winning your first 14 professional starts.

Who was surrounded with a big physical offensive line, 2 RB's, one that can power up the gut and another who can work outside and a fast. physical aggresive defense.

When you are all going to get it through your heads that the QB is not the begin all and end all of a team ?

Do you think that by just changing the QB the Jets as they are right now are a Super Bowl team ?

Putting Clemens in there right now isn't putting the Jets in the playoffs, AFC Championship or Super Bowl.

The same goes for Chad. There is still more building to be done before this team is close to making a run at the Super Bowl.

Who was surrounded with a big physical offensive line, 2 RB's, one that can power up the gut and another who can work outside and a fast. physical aggresive defense.

When you are all going to get it through your heads that the QB is not the begin all and end all of a team ?

Do you think that by just changing the QB the Jets as they are right now are a Super Bowl team ?

Putting Clemens in there right now isn't putting the Jets in the playoffs, AFC Championship or Super Bowl.

The same goes for Chad. There is still more building to be done before this team is close to making a run at the Super Bowl.

No, I do not think that this is a Super Bowl team. That's why I want the young guy to get in. So that, hopefully, by the team this IS a Super Bowl caliber team, he will be ready to take them there.

No, I do not think that this is a Super Bowl team. That's why I want the young guy to get in. So that, hopefully, by the team this IS a Super Bowl caliber team, he will be ready to take them there.

Why? Who is to say that Clemens is the guy to take this team anywhere? If he is any good he'll show it in camp and they'll give him every opportunity. If he isn't ready there is no reason to showcase his skills so that the fans can decide if he has what it takes. Every year there are good FA qbs available. If we had a super bowl team this year we could have picked up Trent Green for a song. There is always some decent guy out there to pick up if you need one. Hasselback, Brees, Delhomme were all FAs. What's the big deal about Clemens? Rivers and Big Ben made runs without any prior experience. So did Brady.

Why? Who is to say that Clemens is the guy to take this team anywhere? If he is any good he'll show it in camp and they'll give him every opportunity. If he isn't ready there is no reason to showcase his skills so that the fans can decide if he has what it takes. Every year there are good FA qbs available. If we had a super bowl team this year we could have picked up Trent Green for a song. There is always some decent guy out there to pick up if you need one. Hasselback, Brees, Delhomme were all FAs. What's the big deal about Clemens? Rivers and Big Ben made runs without any prior experience. So did Brady.

We will never know what we have in Clemens until he gets out on the field. Please do not mistake my post as a proclamation that Kellen Clemens will be great or even good. I don't know what he will be. That is why I used the word "hopefully".

Remember when Chad Pennington was struggling to beat out Tory Woodbury in practice? Then, Vinny got hurt and Chad played lights out and took the team to the playoffs. Point is, you never know what you have until the player gets to play.

We will never know what we have in Clemens until he gets out on the field. Please do not mistake my post as a proclamation that Kellen Clemens will be great or even good. I don't know what he will be. That is why I used the word "hopefully".

Remember when Chad Pennington was struggling to beat out Tory Woodbury in practice? Then, Vinny got hurt and Chad played lights out and took the team to the playoffs. Point is, you never know what you have until the player gets to play.

We won't know? Maybe not, but people watching him in practice should. I just don't think it's mandatory to bench Pennington to "see what we have." If Clemens looks okay, but we are worried about giving something up, then maybe we should give Clemens a shot. If he looks anything like he did last season (preseason or his limited regular season attempts) he belongs on the bench. He was not ready to run an NFL offense last year. Also, as I said, plenty of qbs looked fine in their first season as an NFL starter and even won the big game. Even if he's a little lost this camp, he might be okay down the road. There's no reason to rush.

I am far from a Chad supporter, but I do think he gets looked at more critically because he does things unconventionally (noodle arm). Let's not forget that he is probably the 13th-17th best QB in the league right now. There is no guaranty that Kellen Clemens is ever going to be any better than Chad. I say let the coaches decide who plays and the GM decide when we need more talent.

I don't want him to not start the season. I'd like to see Clemens get a shot, but it is highly doubtful that he beats out Chad in training camp, especially because the CS's apparent committment to Chad. He DID just quarterback a team that won 10 games and won the wild card. I don't think he was as significant as a factor as he is made out to be, but that's up to everyone's own discretion, including the coaching staff's.

I'd like to believe that the full offseason will help him, but I seriously doubt it. A lot of what he is doing incorrectly seems to be mechanically and mentally; poor decisions, weak throws, bad throws, etc.

From what was made available to the public it sounded to me as if Chad was a major reason we won 10 games and made the playoffs last year.

Of course, that could just have been Mangini blowing smoke up our butts.

I like to think mangini & co actually do know what they have in clemons. unlike herm they have shown us that the best players play.

I like the battle for backups the jets showed last year. fierce competition seems to be the teams mantra.

I think clemons plays when hc feels he can do a better job than chad

Archived