Chad Brown to Patriots, reportedly

RichardSeymour

http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/050605brown.html

The Saints made a hard push for veteran linebacker Chad Brown, recently cut loose by the Seattle Seahawks.

The New England Patriots have landed Brown, GM Mickey Loomis said today. Loomis told NOPF's Kenny Wilkerson and Vince Marinello on WWL 870am this afternoon that Brown called him personally to report that he was going to sign with New England.

Loomis said Brown told him it was a very difficult decision, and he understands his decision.

Brown has been nailed with injuries of late but despite that all he has still been an impact player when healthy. Brown visited with several teams including the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos and Seahawks. He visited with the Saints in New Orleans the weekend after the draft.

Requisite message from The Campaign To Help RSherry Bleed Through His Pad Less: A KFFL poster named BelichickFan found this link, I'm only offering it here for your edification.

It's all those tweener Linebackers that N.E. has

that can line up as DE's, as well as dropping back in coverages, confusing offenses and causing fumbles that accentuates the young talented front line. :)

Wilfork, Seymore, Warren, all first round picks.

I think Seymore is the oldest @ 25. :D

This defense will rock...again!

94 Chad Brown

Position: LB

Height: 6-2

Weight: 245

Born: 07/12/1970

College: Colorado

NFL Experience: 13

Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 | Situational Stats | Team Roster

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1993 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 59 46.0 13 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

1994 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 122 93.0 29 8.5 1 9 9.0 9 0 7

1995 Pittsburgh Steelers 10 30 20.0 10 5.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

1996 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 81 50.0 31 13 2 20 10.0 16 0 4

1997 Seattle Seahawks 15 102 73.0 29 6.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

1998 Seattle Seahawks 16 150 120.0 30 7.5 1 11 11.0 11 0 7

1999 Seattle Seahawks 15 115 85.0 30 5.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 6

2000 Seattle Seahawks 16 93 71.0 22 6 1 0 0.0 0 0 2

2001 Seattle Seahawks 16 105 80.0 25 8.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

2002 Seattle Seahawks 8 50 42.0 8 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

2003 Seattle Seahawks 14 85 73.0 12 7 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 2

2004 Seattle Seahawks 7 37 26.0 11 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

TOTAL 163 1029 779.0 250 78 6 39 6.5 16 0 41

FUMBLES

Year Team G Fum Lost Fum Forced Own Rec Opp Rec Yards Tot Rec TD

1993 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0

1994 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0

1995 Pittsburgh Steelers 10 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

1996 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 1 0 3 0 2 0 2 0

1997 Seattle Seahawks 15 0 0 1 0 4 68 4 2

1998 Seattle Seahawks 16 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0

1999 Seattle Seahawks 15 0 0 2 0 1 0 1 0

2000 Seattle Seahawks 16 0 0 2 0 3 16 3 1

2001 Seattle Seahawks 16 0 0 2 0 1 3 1 0

2002 Seattle Seahawks 8 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

2003 Seattle Seahawks 14 0 0 1 0 2 0 2 0

2004 Seattle Seahawks 7 0 0 1 0 1 15 1 0

TOTAL 163 1 0 19 0 15 102 15 3

He'll be a great situational linebacker. A great addition to N.E.'s changing, morphing D.

(35 years old).

What if BB is too busy running the offense? Won't the def suffer somewhat?

What happens when you split a genius in half?

My understanding is that BB has, and will delegate OC respondsibilities among the remaining Offensive coaches and himself. Something he wasn't very good at doing as Coach of the Browns. I believe if he feels that the added responsibilities will limit his Headcoaching abilities, than he'll shed more of the OC jobs to other coaches. Having motivated, intelligent players helps alleviate some of the pressures I imagine. :)

Charlie W. stated that the offensive scheme was more BB's than his own.CW also stated that he is implementing the same format at ND. (A conversation heard by some on a radio interview).

BB isn't a fan of missed tackles. If Brown screws up he'll be riding the bench.

I remember on '02 when the Pats were struggling

in October, the players went back to practicing fundamentals which included tackling.

Tebucky Jones had tackling issues as well and

he was allowed to walk after his contract expired.

Charlie W. stated that the offensive scheme was more BB's than his own.CW also stated that he is implementing the same format at ND. (A conversation heard by some on a radio interview).

Dan Henning had more to do with the offensive success of the Pats than BB did.

It's a good signing by The Pats. It's a typical Patriots signing. They have good players fall into their laps sometimes.

The Pats have a tremendous front 7. Brown improves their pass rush.

The red flags are his age and durability. As a speed rusher, He always gets hurt but Brown is a high motor player who can get after The QB really well.

He fits in perfectly with New England and their 3-4 scheme. Brown is as good as Vrabel and McGinest in rushing the passer.

Interesting note. The Pats did not draft or sign a MLB. Does that mean that they are optimistic about Teddy Bruschi returning or do they have designs on some veteran MLB who is either on the market or soon to be.

Steelers should have been more agressive in obtaining Chad Brown because they lack a pass rusher and Brown really could have helped. One of the things that hurts The Steelers secondary is their lack of a consistent pass rush. When you run a 3-4, Your best pass rushers have to be your OLB's.

3-4 teams don't usually get alot of sacks from their d-line.

So EB, was this a good move by the Pats?

Personally, I wish they would have went after Jamie Sharper.

Jamie Sharper would've been a much better signing mostly because he is younger and a better player but Chad Brown is still a very nice pick-up.

My question is:

What happened to Roosevelt Colvin over there after he missed all of 03, he barely played last year from what I saw.

Jamie Sharper would've been a much better signing mostly because he is younger and a better player but Chad Brown is still a very nice pick-up.

My question is:

What happened to Roosevelt Colvin over there after he missed all of 03, he barely played last year from what I saw.

Colvin was in and out in most games and is just now considered to be 100%. As the season wore on,Colvin improved.

Colvin started out very slowly last year after coming back from a terrible injury.

He played very well coming down the stretch and he had a great game in the Super Bowl versus the Eagles.

My question is:

Colvin is interesting because The Pats during this superbowl domination tour, They really haven't shelled out the big bucks for the elite free agent.

Colvin was the exception and he really hasn't lived up to the money he got. Mostly because of injury.

Pats love interchangeable parts. So they'll mix in McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin and Brown on the outside. Talent wise, Colvin is their best everydown OLB.

The real question is, what are The Pats going to do about MLB? If Bruschi doesn't return. Teddy Johnson is kind of alone right now in the middle.

I was kind of surprised that The Pats didn't draft a young MLB. The LB's are up there in age and they could have used an extra player inside. Even if Bruschi comes back.

TX, I remember that, infact that's the only game I remember hearing anything from Colvin was in the Super Bowl, the most important game to come out and play well in though, but yeah.

Colvin is interesting because The Pats during this superbowl domination tour, They really haven't shelled out the big bucks for the elite free agent.

Colvin was the exception and he really hasn't lived up to the money he got. Mostly because of injury.

Pats love interchangeable parts. So they'll mix in McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin and Brown on the outside. Talent wise, Colvin is their best everydown OLB.

The real question is, what are The Pats going to do about MLB? If Bruschi doesn't return. Teddy Johnson is kind of alone right now in the middle.

I was kind of surprised that The Pats didn't draft a young MLB. The LB's are up there in age and they could have used an extra player inside. Even if Bruschi comes back.

Agreed. I believe the Pats have eleven LB's signed as of today and the June 1 cuts are looming. There may be some action after June 1st.

From what I have heard, Brown can play ILB, OLB and DE in certain situations. I am still holding out hopw that we sign Jay Foreman. I think he's about the best ILB in FA right now and he's still under 30.

Patriot OLB'S- McGinest, Vrabel, Brown and Colvin

Patriot MLB'S- *Bruschi*, Ted Johnson, Dan Klecko and Monty Beisel

Then you have Don Davis as the special teams/nickel LB. He can play inside and outside but is mostly a coverage guy.

Then you have a bunch of young fringe players like Grant Steen and company.

Pats usually carry 9 or 10 LB's. As most 3-4 teams do.

If Bruschi doesn't return. Beisel will probably start inside next to Ted Johnson. That's unless, The Pats sign someone else.

Interesting note. The Pats did not draft or sign a MLB. Does that mean that they are optimistic about Teddy Bruschi returning or do they have designs on some veteran MLB who is either on the market or soon to be.

Actually YJF that's wrong. (Not words I have cause to say very often)

The Pats drafted Ryan Claridge, who played 3-4 ILB and 4-3 MLB for the vast majority of his college career. His pass rushing skills lead scouts to classify him as an OLB prospect but I'm pretty sure the Pats took him as an ILB.

The Pats signed Monty Beisel who played all 3 LB positions for KC's 4-3, and who projects as an ILB.

The Pats signed Chad Brown who started 36 games at ILB for the Steelers' 3-4, and projects as an ILB with the versatility to play OLB.

Beyond that, I think that it's at least possible that Vrabel could make the transition inside, and as Colvin had a superb superbowl and is reported to be fully recovered from his injury, and as Banta-Cain looked good in limited time at OLB, if needed that would not deplete the OLB corps too much.

Andre Torrey CUT

Ted Johnson

Tedy Bruschi IR

Larry Izzo

Mike Vrabel

Rosevelt Colvin

Willie McGinest

Tully Banta-Cain

Don Davis CUT

Monty Beisel

Wesly Mallard CUT

Grant Steen CUT

Eric Alexander CUT

Matt Chatham

Chad Brown

Ryan Claridge IR/Practice Squad

That's 16 LBs and that doesn't even include Klecko who is supposedly being groomed to become a LB. With my predicted cuts and IRs, that leaves us with 9 LBs on the active roster. I could see us signing one more FA LB.

If Bruschi doesn't return. Beisel will probably start inside next to Ted Johnson. That's unless, The Pats sign someone else.

Another option is moving Vrabel to ILB. He did play inside quite a bit in the Super Bowl.

If the Jets are converting to a base 3-4, who are the LB's on their roster?

It would never be permanent, but I wpuld go with

OLB---Barton

ILB---Vilma

ILB---Hobson (dude's a perfect 3-4 ILB imo)

OLB---Mark Brown/McClover/Gardner

Actually YJF that's wrong. (Not words I have cause to say very often)

The Pats drafted Ryan Claridge, who played 3-4 ILB and 4-3 MLB for the vast majority of his college career. His pass rushing skills lead scouts to classify him as an OLB prospect but I'm pretty sure the Pats took him as an ILB.

The Pats signed Monty Beisel who played all 3 LB positions for KC's 4-3, and who projects as an ILB.

The Pats signed Chad Brown who started 36 games at ILB for the Steelers' 3-4, and projects as an ILB with the versatility to play OLB.

Beyond that, I think that it's at least possible that Vrabel could make the transition inside, and as Colvin had a superb superbowl and is reported to be fully recovered from his injury, and as Banta-Cain looked good in limited time at OLB, if needed that would not deplete the OLB corps too much.

You are right. They did draft Claridge. I made the mistake in thinking of him as an OLB. He's a pretty big kid. (259)... He can play inside.

My guess is that Monty Beisel starts inside with Johnson if the season started today.

Chad Brown can play ILB but his strength is not stopping the run. He's a pass rusher. At his age and with his history of injuries, It's a roll of the dice to ask him to be a fulltime ILB.

The Pats are the deepest team in football at OLB.You can make the argument that Willie, Vrabel, Brown and Colvin could all be starters on other teams. That's 4 starters for two spots.

BB is LB crazy. That's the one area where he never stops stockpiling.

Archived