Chad Brown to Patriots, reportedly

RichardSeymour

If the Jets are converting to a base 3-4, who are the LB's on their roster?

Jets actually have some interchangeable parts.

Most 4-3 strong side linebackers make good 3-4 ILB's. The player who plays over The TE in The 4-3, usually makes a pretty good transition to the inside in The 3-4. You saw this when Jamie Sharper went from a strongside 4-3 OLB in Baltimore, to a 3-4 MLB in Houston.

Victor Hobson would be excellent in a 3-4. Because he is a power player. Big 255 pound OLB. Eric Barton has some experience inside as well.

John Abraham would be ideal as an edge rushing OLB in The 3-4. Ellis got 8 sacks as a 3-4 DE in his rookie season. He could easily play The 3-4.

Jets starting 3-4 at LB would probably be.

OLB-John Abraham

ILB-Jonathan Vilma

ILB-Victor Hobson

OLB-Eric Barton

Question would be what roles The Jets backup LB's could play in a 3-4. Barry Gardner can play inside and outside. McClover is a speed guy, So he's not really ideal for a 3-4. Mark Brown can play the strongside in a 4-3 and Inside in a 3-4.

Bryan Thomas coming out of college was perfect for The 3-4 as an OLB when he came out and was 245 pounds. He's nearly 270 now, So he'd have to lose weight.

Robertson, Ellis, Legree and Pouha would be good 3-4 D-lineman. All players over 280 plus pounds.

Even more than LB, BB loves his athletic young DLs....

Seymour--- 25 y.o. #6 overall pick

Warren--- 24 y.o. #13 overall pick

Wilfork--- 23 y.o. #21 overall pick

Green--- 26 y.o. Quality DE.

Hill--- 22 y.o. 2nd rounder.

Bailey--- 25. y.o. RFA addition.

Kelley--- 25 y.o. Unproven.

For comparison, the oldest of these guys (Green) is a year and a half younger than Shaun Ellis.

Even more than LB, BB loves his athletic young DLs....

Seymour--- 25 y.o. #6 overall pick

Warren--- 24 y.o. #13 overall pick

Wilfork--- 23 y.o. #21 overall pick

Green--- 26 y.o. Quality DE.

Hill--- 22 y.o. 2nd rounder.

Bailey--- 25. y.o. RFA addition.

Kelley--- 25 y.o. Unproven.

For comparison, the oldest of these guys (Green) is a year and a half younger than Shaun Ellis.

Yeah but Green is nowhere near the player Ellis is and Green is a good player.

Pats have done a great job compiling talent on the d-line. I think Hill has a chance to be real good.

3-4 defensive lineman are all defensive tackles. Not one true 4-3 DE in that group, you just listed.

It's not a glamour or stats position. Job is essentially to tie up blockers so that The LB's can run free to the ball.

Seymour keeps making pro bowls as a DT when he really plays DE primarily in The 3-4. Most sacks he has ever had in a season is I believe 8. Think he had 5 last year. That's alot for a 3-4 DE actually. Seymour is an excellent player.

Chad Brown can play ILB but his strength is not stopping the run. He's a pass rusher. At his age and with his history of injuries, It's a roll of the dice to ask him to be a fulltime ILB.

I totally agree with that.

Brown's strength is coming off the edge.

Just a hunch, but I think Ryan Claridge sees significant playing time in the middle this year.

Just has to share what my favorite Jet fan had to say about the Chad Brown signing:

"Another old retread way past his prime.

Belichick is afraid to coach a young player and put him into the spotlight right away."

Anybody want to guess what dumbass idiot uttered those words of wisdom?

Jamie Sharper would've been a much better signing mostly because he is younger and a better player but Chad Brown is still a very nice pick-up.

My question is:

What happened to Roosevelt Colvin over there after he missed all of 03, he barely played last year from what I saw.

This is his make or break year, especially at the salary the Patriots signed him to (5year-27 million).

Deon Grant of the Panthers who suffered a similar injury said it took him almost 18 months to feel comfortable.

Colvin was sporadic at best early in the season by mixing in good plays with being invisible.

By the end of the season he was ooming on and he had a real good Superbowl in which he was extremely disruptive.

Tex - Who is it? I would say EB50, but he said it was a good move. Did TS and Max pay for a guest appearance from pool?

Tex - Who is it? I would say EB50, but he said it was a good move. Did TS and Max pay for a guest appearance from pool?

PFSIKH,

Even EB is smart enough not to utter something that stupid.

I'll give you a clue:

He stuttered when he created his username.

I love the way he asks why we Pats fans think every move Belichik makes is "Golden"

Must be the collection of Lombardi trophies clouding our judgement.

I personally would have passed on Brown(he's a great signing IF healthy),...but just KNOW they brought him in with a goal in mind. And until they stop winning regularly, who am I to question?

Archived