PacMan gone for the Year

Thai Jet

I know nobody else here will probably agree with me but...

What these guys do outside the field and team facility is their own business, they should not be suspended for this. If the NFL doesn't want them in the league then have the Titans release him and send out letters to other teams that they will be heavily fined if they sign him. Period. Having him "suspended" still has him in the league.

What these guys do outside the field and team facility is their own business, they should not be suspended for this. If the NFL doesn't want them in the league then have the Titans release him and send out letters to other teams that they will be heavily fined if they sign him. Period. Having him "suspended" still has him in the league.

disagree completely. responsibility is important. if anyone else engaged in this inexcusable behavior people wouldn't say "it doesn't matter what he does away from the job, joe is a good plumber and that's all that matters." no, he maligns his team and the league and the NFL is smart to do this. it protects the bottom line and keeps sponsors/advertisers around.

I don't like the year suspension. I think it's too long. His actions MERIT being OUT OF FOOTBALL for a year, I agree, but let me tell you why I think a year suspension is too long.

4 or 8 games takes him OUT OF FOOTBALL. Why doesn't 16 games do the same thing? CFL. That's why. He'll go up there and play for a year. When they let Ricky Williams play CFL, that opened a huge can of worms. It used to be if you played in the CFL, you were off limits to the NFL for 2 yrs.. they waived that... Mistake. Now others will want that too.

PacMan Jones deserves a lifetime ban.. at least then the CFL could come calling and I wouldn't care... why? The potential of a big payday is GONE. With this 1 yr thing, he gets cut, signs somewhere else and is a model citizen for a season. Gets big coin, and makes it rain again... Moron.

I agree their outside business is their outside business. However, they can't do it the way you say it should be done. That's called Collusion and that's subject to Federal Law. You can't blackball someone like that.

Now if the league as a hole suspends (hahah a hole, sorry) him for a year, it's virtually the same thing, BUT THE CBA ALLOWS FOR IT therefore it's legal.

I wonder if the players association is behind this or will appeal?

They may very well be for it. After the NBA All-Star Game they were at least talking the talk about getting tough on this (right after Pac-Man's stripper club incident but before there was any talk of him getting suspended). Well we'll see if they were just blowing smoke or if they meant it.

They may very well be for it. After the NBA All-Star Game they were at least talking the talk about getting tough on this (right after Pac-Man's stripper club incident but before there was any talk of him getting suspended). Well we'll see if they were just blowing smoke or if they meant it.

I think it was you that mentioned the sponsors, thats a good point. The NBA has had way more problems with thugs, and implimented players wearing suits on the sidelines if they are injured. That was a good step for them, I personally have stopped watching the NBA 1.) its boring 2.) i don't like watching gang fights on tv

I think it was you that mentioned the sponsors, thats a good point. The NBA has had way more problems with thugs, and implimented players wearing suits on the sidelines if they are injured. That was a good step for them, I personally have stopped watching the NBA 1.) its boring 2.) i don't like watching gang fights on tv

With or without the thugs, the NBA is boring because there is no one thing that can happen in the first 3/4 of every game that puts it away for good. There are no interceptions returned for 90-yard touchdowns. There are no grand slams or double/triple-plays with the bases loaded. Only thing that can mean immediate doom for a team is a key player or two getting injured or ejected. For 3/4 of every game, you're usually either watching a slow death or an irrelevant first 3 quarters. The scores are mostly the same. There are very few blowouts, and unlike football (or even baseball) they're boring to watch. Even a blowout you're looking at like a 100-80 game.

The game itself is mostly boring in the NBA. A bunch of guys bumping each other & a foul called on almost every play. Who here would watch football if there was a penalty on every other play from the opening kickoff to the end of the 4th quarter?

It's why I never got into watching hockey either. Like basketball, when breaking the game's "rules" (penalties & fouls) becomes part of teams' gameplans, it's just dumb. It would be like the NFL allowing blatant late hits, tripping, punching, elbows to the face, etc. When I want to watch boxing I watch boxing.

So back to Pac-Man, the NFL is the most popular sport in the country. They are protecting their product and would be stupid to do otherwise. Certain people have a particular skill that at this particular time & place will afford a life of luxury. A skill like intercepting passes or covering a WR would be worth next to nothing if you had to enter the job market like the rest of us. You want to be a punk? Go be a punk. You want to be an NFL player, make millions of dollars in a short span of time, and have the adoration of all those around you? All you have to do is behave the way 99% of the population does: stay out of trouble. If that's too difficult then you don't deserve this privilege, no matter what your on-field skills are.

How is an NBA game equivalent to a gang fight?

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

How is an NBA game equivalent to a gang fight?

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

i don't know, ron artest going into the crowd punching fans. Maybe Anthony Mason against the entire league, or the Knicks against the Heat in the 90's. Yeah you're right, no fighting goes on in that league, they are all top notch character players.

i don't know, ron artest going into the crowd punching fans. Maybe Anthony Mason against the entire league, or the Knicks against the Heat in the 90's. Yeah you're right, no fighting goes on in that league, they are all top notch character players.

All isolated incidents, with obviously Artests being the worst.

I guarantee you there's been twice as many benchclearing brawls in the MLB when compared to the NBA.

Hate on the NBA game itself all you want, I think it sucks too. But to simply label them as thugs because of in game fights is ridiculous, especially when it happens in all of the major sports.

Hell, that Sabres brawl was 9 times as wrose as Melo and the Knicks slap boxing match.

All isolated incidents, with obviously Artests being the worst.

I guarantee you there's been twice as many benchclearing brawls in the MLB when compared to the NBA.

Hate on the NBA game itself all you want, I think it sucks too. But to simply label them as thugs because of in game fights is ridiculous, especially when it happens in all of the major sports.

Hell, that Sabres brawl was 9 times as wrose as Melo and the Knicks slap boxing match.

Here's my logic, I don't watch NHL, MLB, or NBA equally. That's to say i only hear what is broadcasted over and over. The NBA always is in the forefront of the fighting scene, or having to impliment new rules to stop the fighting.

Maybe its that i think the NBA is so boring that i have grudge against it, it just sucks...i can't get over the fact that people actually pay to watch those games.

I just thought of a few more incidents, Shaq punched someone (a few times), Rodman (enough said), Shawn Kemp got in a few altercations...I know MLB has its fights, as does hockey, but the NBA's just seem a lot worse.

124 I agree with what you are saying in principle meaning everyone's business should be their own and they should be the only ones responsible for their personal life. However, the NFL has to look out for its company, and these players do represent the NFL and can affect the popularity of the NFL. Look at what happened to the NBA when their players (Iverson, Rodman, Artest, etc) started going wild and getting in trouble, it effected the league and how it was perceived. While the players have the option to hang out with who they want and go where they want, what they do will effect the league/franchise that employs them, and those employers have the right to protect their investment.

124 I agree with what you are saying in principle meaning everyone's business should be their own and they should be the only ones responsible for their personal life. However, the NFL has to look out for its company, and these players do represent the NFL and can affect the popularity of the NFL. Look at what happened to the NBA when their players (Iverson, Rodman, Artest, etc) started going wild and getting in trouble, it effected the league and how it was perceived. While the players have the option to hang out with who they want and go where they want, what they do will effect the league/franchise that employs them, and those employers have the right to protect their investment.

Absolutely. He's not going to lose his right to vote. Nor is he going to lose the privilege of a driver's license for acting like a thug in a club. But any entity that offers privileges, be it the DMV or the NFL, has the right to set its own standards by which that privilege will be revoked.

The main thrust of his getting suspended for a year is that he didn't advise

the league about two arrests I believe took place last year. There are things

in the players contract that pertain to a players personal conduct which is the

issue in this case.

You can argue what he does outside the field is his own business but if he signs

a contract that states certain personal conduct criteria then he has to be held

accountable for it.

Actually I'm surprised you feel this way. If a starting Jet player was arrested for

DWI and was sentenced to six month jail during the football season and caused

us to lose a few games I don't think you would be so forgiving.

issue in this case.

You can argue what he does outside the field is his own business but if he signs

accountable for it.

Actually I'm surprised you feel this way. If a starting Jet player was arrested for

DWI's are different. These guys make millions. If they are the least bit intoxicated they can leave their car at the place and pick up the next day. They can call a limo company or taxi cab and it would cost almost nothing for them.

Then again, everybody does make mistakes. I just got 4 points potentially on my liscense yesterday, gotta go to court in the next month or two to fight it down. I drove like an ass but everybody makes mistakes and you just gotta move on after your mistakes.

issue in this case.

accountable for it.

Actually I forgot about that. If I remember correctly, PacMan has some clause(s) in his contract for behavior that most players don't b/c they knew he was a potential trouble-maker. He had a incident just before or just after the draft. Might even have to give back some of his SB if it was worded that way.

DWI's are different. These guys make millions. If they are the least bit intoxicated they can leave their car at the place and pick up the next day. They can call a limo company or taxi cab and it would cost almost nothing for them.

Then again, everybody does make mistakes. I just got 4 points potentially on my liscense yesterday, gotta go to court in the next month or two to fight it down. I drove like an ass but everybody makes mistakes and you just gotta move on after your mistakes.

Ok forget the DWI, assume its the problems that Pacman has.

Your original post stated that whatever goes on off the field should be of no concern

to the league. And I stated if it was a jet would you be so forgiving if that player

was a starter and would be gone for a year.

If that player learned from his mistakes is a plus but not related to your original

issue.

ok 124, you drove like an ass & will hopefully move on after. It doesn't mean you should be excused from paying the penalty for driving like an ass.

i'm a strong believer in paying for your actions

There's a difference between a mistale that people make every once in a while (DUI) and all-out stupid thuggish behavior (night club brawls and shootings etc.). If these reports are right, I'm glad the NFL is doing something to clean up this garbage...

There's a difference between a mistale that people make every once in a while (DUI) and all-out stupid thuggish behavior (night club brawls and shootings etc.). If these reports are right, I'm glad the NFL is doing something to clean up this garbage...

agreed 100%

If PacMan had a regular 9-5 job, he would have been fired a long time ago. The NFL can't let its players go crazy without any consequences.

Archived