Jets | Team looking for No. 3 receiver

Smizzy

Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:00:05 -0700

Rich Cimini, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the New York Jets need to find a No. 3 option in their passing game. Starters WR Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are fine, but they need someone who can attack the middle of the field. That would loosen the outside coverage on Coles and Cotchery and make life easier for QB Chad Pennington. Neither TE Chris Baker, WR Tim Dwight, nor WR Brad Smith have stepped up so far. The Jets could pick a receiver or tight end on the second day of the draft.

Sweet

Quote:

Rich Cimini, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the New York Jets need to find a No. 3 option in their passing game. Starters WR Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are fine, but they need someone who can attack the middle of the field. That would loosen the outside coverage on Coles and Cotchery and make life easier for QB Chad Pennington. Neither TE Chris Baker, WR Tim Dwight, nor WR Brad Smith have stepped up so far. The Jets could pick a receiver or tight end on the second day of the draft.Sweet

Has Brad Smith been playing games in the offseason and not stepping up so far. Can we give the guy a little more time to transition from QB before we decide we need to look elswhere.

Free Agency options for a 3rd WR

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=1&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffa%3fpositionId%3d1

Alex Bannister WR UFA 6-5 207 6 Ravens

Corey Bradford WR UFA 6-1 201 9 Lions

Troy Brown WR UFA 5-10 196 14 Patriots

Antonio Bryant WR Released 6-2 188 5 49ers

Drew Carter WR RFA 6-3 200 3 Panthers

Terrance Copper WR RFA 6-0 201 3 Saints

Patrick Crayton WR RFA 6-0 205 3 Cowboys

Devard Darling WR RFA 6-1 215 3 Ravens

Andre Davis WR UFA 6-1 195 5 Bills

Bobby Engram WR UFA 5-10 188 11 Seahawks

D.J. Hackett WR RFA 6-2 199 2 Seahawks

Az-Zahir Hakim WR UFA 5-10 189 8 Chargers

Cortez Hankton WR UFA 6-0 200 4 Jaguars

Karl Hankton WR Released 6-2 202 8 Panthers

Lee Mays WR UFA 6-2 193 4 Steelers

Keenan McCardell WR Released 6-1 191 15 Chargers

Clarence Moore WR RFA 6-6 220 3 Ravens

Aaron Moorehead WR UFA 6-3 200 4 Colts

Eric Moulds WR Released 6-2 210 11 Texans

Samie Parker WR RFA 5-11 190 3 Chiefs

Willie Ponder WR UFA 6-0 204 4 Rams

Travis Taylor WR UFA 6-1 210 7 Vikings

Troy Walters WR UFA 5-8 171 7 Cardinals

Ernest Wilford WR RFA 6-4 218 3 Jaguars

Terrence Wilkins WR UFA 5-10 180 6 Colts

Free Agency options for a 3rd WR

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=1&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffa%3fpositionId%3d1

Alex Bannister WR UFA 6-5 207 6 Ravens

Corey Bradford WR UFA 6-1 201 9 Lions

Troy Brown WR UFA 5-10 196 14 Patriots

Antonio Bryant WR Released 6-2 188 5 49ers

Drew Carter WR RFA 6-3 200 3 Panthers

Terrance Copper WR RFA 6-0 201 3 Saints

Patrick Crayton WR RFA 6-0 205 3 Cowboys

Devard Darling WR RFA 6-1 215 3 Ravens

Andre Davis WR UFA 6-1 195 5 Bills

Bobby Engram WR UFA 5-10 188 11 Seahawks

D.J. Hackett WR RFA 6-2 199 2 Seahawks

Az-Zahir Hakim WR UFA 5-10 189 8 Chargers

Cortez Hankton WR UFA 6-0 200 4 Jaguars

Karl Hankton WR Released 6-2 202 8 Panthers

Lee Mays WR UFA 6-2 193 4 Steelers

Keenan McCardell WR Released 6-1 191 15 Chargers

Clarence Moore WR RFA 6-6 220 3 Ravens

Aaron Moorehead WR UFA 6-3 200 4 Colts

Eric Moulds WR Released 6-2 210 11 Texans

Samie Parker WR RFA 5-11 190 3 Chiefs

Willie Ponder WR UFA 6-0 204 4 Rams

Travis Taylor WR UFA 6-1 210 7 Vikings

Troy Walters WR UFA 5-8 171 7 Cardinals

Ernest Wilford WR RFA 6-4 218 3 Jaguars

Terrence Wilkins WR UFA 5-10 180 6 Colts

I wouldn't mind Az Hakim or D.J. Hackett.

Why would they be looking for their #3 guy on Day 2? Wouldn't you want a guy who could step in right away? Brad Smith appears to be the future #3, but maybe not if these reports are true.

Anyways, if we can find a guy who can be a PR in the draft, Tim Dwight is as good as gone it seems. JMac too.

I wonder what it would take to get Eric Moulds to play for us if not him I would seriously consider Troy Brown-he's better and more durable than Tim Dwight was last year.Hey it might turn Garb into a Jets fan once and for all too....

Also, I guess this blurb signals the end to Justin McCairens' tenure here

David Ball Blows!!! He is too short and too slow, he is not tough like Sherbet.

He played in a gimic O that passed 75% of the time.

Please a Jerry Rice he is not!!!!!!!

He does have good hands, but I don't want him on the Jets. He'll be a career backup.

Rich Cimini, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the New York Jets need to find a No. 3 option in their passing game. Starters WR Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery are fine, but they need someone who can attack the middle of the field. That would loosen the outside coverage on Coles and Cotchery and make life easier for QB Chad Pennington. Neither TE Chris Baker, WR Tim Dwight, nor WR Brad Smith have stepped up so far. The Jets could pick a receiver or tight end on the second day of the draft.

Well as of July-August last year he didn't think much of Cotchery either. So it seems the logic is keep drafting WR's until one steps up as a rookie. Everyone knew Smith was not a WR in college & would take a little time. What you don't do is say "I give up" after his rookie season & first-ever as a WR.

Keep in mind, this is 1 reporter's opinion, not the team's opinion.

Personally I think we'll unload JMac if we can, even if it's for a 7th-rounder. Don't know if that's best, as it leaves us thin & day-two WR's are hardly a lock to contribute anything at all as rookies. I think we'll take a WR on day two, but not on day one. Even if we get a good one he's not going to start any time soon, and with day one picks you hope to find a starter or at least a major contributor within a year.

We do not, and likely will not, run a high percentage of 3 WR sets (let alone 4-5). So any rookie will also see limited action whether he's drafted in round 1 or round 6.

I would have rather grabbed McDonald. He was cheap enough.

I wonder what it would take to get Eric Moulds to play for us if not him I would seriously consider Troy Brown-he's better and more durable than Tim Dwight was last year.Hey it might turn Garb into a Jets fan once and for all too....

Also, I guess this blurb signals the end to Justin McCairens' tenure here

Dwight is primarily the punt returner. I don't think Brown wants to be returning punts at his age.

Well as of July-August last year he didn't think much of Cotchery either. So it seems the logic is keep drafting WR's until one steps up as a rookie. Everyone knew Smith was not a WR in college & would take a little time. What you don't do is say "I give up" after his rookie season & first-ever as a WR.

Didn't you hear? Smith is going to be 3rd qb now.

that sounds like an opinion to me... "he reports they need to", not that they are looking or that "sources" say they are looking for them. It's the middle of the offseason and he needs something to write. It happens. Im sure they at least want smith to go out and try to earn that spot, because the more he's on the field the less the defense keys on him looking for a 'slash' play.

Archived